Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bungie unveils open-world shooter Destiny

ExpandMyMind

Game developer Bungie has revealed its next release, titled Destiny. The game will be a first-person shooter in an open, persistent world shared by players. The developer also said that social interaction will be a key feature in Destiny.

Activision chief executiveEric Hirshberg described the environment of the game, “Destiny is a world that evolves. It is a world with wide boundaries that allows you to roam and explore. It is a world where, even in story mode, you could encounter other players on their own adventures.”

Bungie president Harold Ryan added to Hirshberg’s comments on the setting, saying, “Destiny will draw players into a world filled with mystery, action, and adventure, but most importantly, Destiny is more than a disk in a drive, it is a living social universe filled with other players.”

Destiny takes place in a distant future where Earth has been besieged by hostile alien forces. The Last City of Earth has been saved by a massive floating orb known as the Traveler. Players take on the role of Guardians who now try to reclaim the lost territory of humanity, and protect it from encroaching threats. The game will unfold with a variety of events that can be co-operative, social, competitive, and public. The experience will seamlessly connect all these events together, as well as players to each other.

http://press2reset.com/2013/02/18/bungie-unveils-open-world-shooter-destiny/

Noticed that no one had posted on this yet. Seems like it could be epic, but I am slightly worried by the fact that it can be played on both current and next gen consoles. This leads me to believe that the next gen experience won't be truly massive in scale.

• Like 1

Not Game of the Year, since they already said it won't be out this year. Looks awesome though.

• Like 1

Not Game of the Year, since they already said it won't be out this year. Looks awesome though.

Oh well, just have to settle for game of the decade then :D

• Like 1

on the topic of game of the year Best RPG catagory has to be Ni No Kuni for ps3 im blown away by that game.

Back on topic, destiny is still a grey area for me, i was never a huge fan of the halo multiplayer, dont get me wrong the single player was so much fun and a great tale to boot, multiplayer never grabbed me. SO a multiplayer based FPS from bungie aint tugging my heartstrings till i see much much more.

Also right there with you Brother (or sister) B Jenkins Watch Dogs looks amazing and is definitely a pre order title for myself.

• Like 1

on the topic of game of the year Best RPG catagory has to be Ni No Kuni for ps3 im blown away by that game.

Back on topic, destiny is still a grey area for me, i was never a huge fan of the halo multiplayer, dont get me wrong the single player was so much fun and a great tale to boot, multiplayer never grabbed me. SO a multiplayer based FPS from bungie aint tugging my heartstrings till i see much much more.

Yes, too many games these days neglect the single player compaign and appeal to multiplayer gamers. Which kinda leaves me out as I have a gaming budget and I am not the greatest player around either because my thumbs and fingers experience a strange phenomenon in which they multiple, fumble and stumble over each other during those anxiety-ridden moments when I need them most.

Halo is abit overblown and with the exception of the original XBOX version, the single-player compaign are too short for me by which when completed have me contemplating well that was interesting, underwhelming, and short, do I really want to play through that again? Use and discard immediately. I immediately traded back in my copy of Halo 3 upon completion earlier this year. Graphically speaking they did an amazing job with the Combat Evolved Anniversary Edition but that game is not the complete game players enjoyed on the original XBOX version. Which is backwards compatible btw.

Also right there with you Brother (or sister) B Jenkins Watch Dogs looks amazing and is definitely a pre order title for myself.

Brother Jenkins it is, and thanks, Watch Dogs has a real future noire vibe to it that is I believe will be a unique and original gaming experience.

Edited by B Jenkins

In the case of destiny i guess time will tell. Its just one of those games ill keep a sly eye on and watch how it develops and overall what im getting for my money. If its going to bring lame Micro transactions then its an instant killer for me. Online games tend to go the way of transaction stores whilst i dont mind cosmetics and such XP boosters and Ammo upgrades pretty much turn me away. I would love to see something alone the lines of Planetside or tribes one with the sprawling worlds to fight in but without any of the new fangled Mini Stores and such.

as said we will have to wait and see.

My biggest question is, with it being an open-world game, are they going to have side quests/missions unrelated to the main story? I'd like that. The idea of a Bungie-made FPS utilising the elements of RPG's gets me very excited indeed.

Other than that, when you read the first part of the article that said the human race had been brought near to extinction by an alien force, tell me you didn't think "hey, it's the Covenant".

• Like 2

What is an 'open-world' game? Full of other people playing the same game?

p.s. 'scuse my ignorance.

Edited by Eldorado

What is an 'open-world' game? Full of other people playing the same game?

p.s. 'scuse my ignorance.

The term "open world" refers to a type of game that has a map so large that it could be seen as endless. Games like World of Warcraft fit this description, you can just take a character, walk in any random direction, and do whatever you like, take in the sights, kill random wandering monsters, explore caves, buildings, temples, find random treasures, that kind of thing. Elder scrolls (Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim) and Mass Effect also fit this genre, the idea being that you don't have to complete the main mission consecutively, you can do level 1, then run around and explore the would a little (or a lot) before getting to whichever area you need to activate level 2. Usually, the genre fits RPG style games because you can increase the stats of your character the longer you play (better weaponry, more hit points, etc), so I'm not sure how Bungie is going to adapt this to a First Person Shooter, but we'll see.

Hope this helps :tu:

• Like 2

Hope this helps :tu:

It does indeed... thank you! :)

Can you get lost for years playing it? (lol) I'm imagining scouring the map looking for Level 2 without success as would no doubt happen to me. I'm a 'Where's the any key?' kind of gamer.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

It does indeed... thank you! :)

Can you get lost for years playing it? (lol) I'm imagining scouring the map looking for Level 2 without success as would no doubt happen to me. I'm a 'Where's the any key?' kind of gamer.

Games like this usually have a Quest Log (I say "usually", but I mean always, I've never played an open-world game that doesn't have Quest Logs). Basically it's a screen you can access that tells you the status of all the missions you've been given. They'll be broken up between the Main Quest line (the essential story you need to do in order to win the game) and a Side Quest line (non-essential missions you may be given, that have no bearing on the outcome of the game, but may be fun just to kill some things and earn some treasure (good unique weapons can usually be found in these quests).

If you click on one of your Active Quests (let's say, the main story line) a mission brief will come up, telling you what you need to do and where you need to go. Most of the time a map marker will be placed so you can follow the direction on a mini-map in game.

So to answer your question, assuming you just want to finish the main quest, there should be no problem getting from one quest to the next. Of course, that takes all the fun out of open-world gaming. When I play these types of games, the first thing I usually do is just pick a random direction and run until I find something worth looting (I like my Fantasy games, so it usually involves searching ruined castles, killing undead skeletons or goblins inside). Then maybe I'll go to the first Main Quest and advance the story a little.

• Like 2

Just heard a rather strange rumor stating that after initial purchase price there may be some form of subscription or pay to play after launch content. See Michael Pachters lastest show on GTTV . goes into quite well.

Just heard a rather strange rumor stating that after initial purchase price there may be some form of subscription or pay to play after launch content. See Michael Pachters lastest show on GTTV . goes into quite well.

Not surprising. Though chances are if they market Destiny primarily for console (Xbox) like Bungie did with Halo, then the subscription shouldn't be anything other than the XboxLive Gold Membership. On PC, there's probably a subscription feel just like World of Warcraft. That's what you get. I envisage Destiny will be a MMOFPS (as opposed to a MMORPG).

If they made people on PC pay say £8.99 per month to play and then stated people on console basically dident have too (Bungie are no longer tied to Microsoft thus meaning they would not see any money from the Gold Live) i think it would cause quite some upset. Also PS3 users would also need to be On a sub and also PS4. Destiny is being released for all 4 consoles after all (Ps3, PS4, Xbox 360 and "Durango")

A subscription on one would mean a subscription on all.

I hope it if a subscription is its plan it has to be fair. £8.99 for one £8.99 for all (Xbox Live is not something bungie forced on there users thus its not there fault nor concern there users will also require this, same as you paying for your internet at home for your pc).

After some little reasearch we can basically kick PC out the door, Bungie has stated to www.rockpapershotgun.com that destiny will not be coming to PC. SO if it is a subscription model on consoles it better offer some great content.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/17/destiny-not-coming-to-pc-bungie-deny-reality/

Edited by Vaise

If they request an extra subscription beyond the normal Xbox Live then Xbox users will riot. Unless it's completely separate from Live, in which case accessing Destiny without a Live account, maybe (I don't have Live so I can see merit in this, but I doubt Microsoft will let me use Live gaming without one).

Live and Game subscription are two seperate entities. Live is microsoft charging you too use the internet on there device, They cannot give a Sub to PS3 and not to Xbox 360 just because the PS3 gets online access as a givin. If people choose to stay with Xbox and spend there $50 a year for permission to use there internet on there device thats there own fault that they must accept.

Subscription has to be equal if the content is equal i will not pay a monthly sub on PS3 if Xbox users get same content because tehre forced to pay for simple online features. Thats simply not fair.

Live and Game subscription are two seperate entities. Live is microsoft charging you too use the internet on there device, They cannot give a Sub to PS3 and not to Xbox 360 just because the PS3 gets online access as a givin. If people choose to stay with Xbox and spend there $50 a year for permission to use there internet on there device thats there own fault that they must accept.

Subscription has to be equal if the content is equal i will not pay a monthly sub on PS3 if Xbox users get same content because tehre forced to pay for simple online features. Thats simply not fair.

I don't have an XboxLive account. Probably never will. But I can assure you with confidence that Live is NOT just Microsoft charging me to use internet on this device. I can access internet anytime I want. I can access any downloadable content at any time. But I cannot access Battlenet (or whatever it's called with whatever Live subscription is available). But when I've had my share of free Live membership, I've had free range with every Xbox game ever made, can access multiplayer systems of every game I've ever played. I have never needed to pay monthly fees, and if I had XboxLive (friends of mine have exactly this), all costs are covered in the yearly fee of XboxLIve. If I'm charged a fee just to access the internet (it's closer to $100 in Australia, than the $50 you suggest - maybe you just aren't savvy with current tech, or maybe the U.S charges different prices) then I expect a service. If the PS3 allows free Battlenet service (or whatever it's called for various online games) while Xbox charges a yearly fee, then I would expect that the monthly subscriptions of various games on the Xbox are being covered in the cost. If not, to quote your own post, "Thats simply not fair" Edited by Paranoid Android

Without an Xbox Live gold, you cannot play Xbox 360 games online, that's fact No gold service no Online play, there are many other features that you cannot access without a Gold account such as the following list taken from There website

Xbox LIVE Gold

As low as $5 / month.

• Enjoy unlimited online multiplayer with friends wherever they are.
  • Download and play free game demos.
  • Enjoy exclusive member deals and previews.
  • Catch up on movies and TV with Netflix, HBO GO, Hulu Plus and Amazon Instant Video.
  • Watch sports with ESPN, MLB.TV, NBA Game Time and UFC.
  • Listen to personalized music with Xbox Music, iHeartRadio and Last.fm.
  • Download arcade and full Xbox 360 games.
  • Use your phone or tablet as a second screen for an enhanced game and
    entertainment experience.
  • Explore the web on your TV with Internet Explorer for Xbox.
  • Access your cloud game saves wherever you are.
  • Use your voice to easily find games, music, movies and TV shows with Kinect.
  • http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/join

Pretty much all the services there are free on PS3 no $5 dollar a month charge. If bungie set up a subscription to access there content on there game that will be separate from live. Want contend from bungi pay the Sub or keep your $60 dollar disc based content. My point being if they want to charge a sub Xbox Live gold or Not xbox live gold will stop them.

Ive been around gaming for the past 18 years of my life and have worked in various parts of the industry my current knowledge of video games and the way there systems work i feel is pretty much spot on as to what i can know without actually working at XboxHQ

And what I know, Vaise, is that Xbox will have a very hard time asking customers to pay a monthly fee on top of their XboxLIve account. The selling point of the XboxLive account is that it costs about $100 per year and all Xbox games will be able to be played online. Compare that to the PC, where you have to pay a subscription to every game you want to play. Want to play Starcraft 2 online? Get a subscription with them. Want to play WoW online? Get a subscription with them. Want to play Diablo III online? Get a subscription with them. The entire point of XboxLive is that you only need to pay one subscription fee.

If games companies suddenly started charging extra above that, no one would ever use the Xbox.

Edited by Paranoid Android

And what I know, Vaise, is that Xbox will have a very hard time asking customers to pay a monthly fee on top of their XboxLIve account. The selling point of the XboxLive account is that it costs about $100 per year and all Xbox games will be able to be played online. Compare that to the PC, where you have to pay a subscription to every game you want to play. Want to play Starcraft 2 online? Get a subscription with them. Want to play WoW online? Get a subscription with them. Want to play Diablo III online? Get a subscription with them. The entire point of XboxLive is that you only need to pay one subscription fee.

If games companies suddenly started charging extra above that, no one would ever use the Xbox.

While is agree that if every game required a subscription it would be disastrous for the gaming community that's not how it works you cant just demand subs for any game. Taking from your example, Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 are not constantly updated with content on a bi monthly basis's where as for example World of Warcraft is. Its the additional content you obtain month to month that requires the subscription, MMOS are well known to adapt to this pricing model a constant payment for constant content updates.

That being said Destiny is being called and MMOFPS and if they release content bi monthly they could very well place a subscription on there game, they could also just request additional one time purchases like call of duty map packs. I personally feel a subscription would be one of the worst things they could do for this game but the state of the current money grabbing game industry is in right now it honestly wouldn't surprise me if they do try it,Its been nice discussing this with you in a mature manor.

Have a nice day Mr Android may all your future gaming be heroic and ever joyful, and don't forgot to praise your king GAMING :clap:

To be honest, I most definitely wouldn't mind paying a monthly fee, on top of Xbox live, for a game like this if it was like WoW or another truly epic MMO in scope. By the time it is released, you'll be paying this much for most online games anyway via micro transactions. With some you already are.

And you don't just pay Microsoft for 'use of internet'. You pay them for use of their secure 'walled garden' environment, where players can play safely and securely. It is a vastly different service than the simplified 'just playing other people online' - and at £5 a month it is ridiculously inexpensive. I know pubs that sell a pint for more than that.

I'd rather use a secure environment that the PSN.

• 1 year later...

I just ordered this for the PS3 is anyone else buying it? I think the game looks good but not sure about not being able to play the game solo anyway hope it will be good but also sure there will be server issues when it goes online!