Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does anyone build their own here?

Merc14

Is the samsung series 7 gamer any good for games:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Series-Gamer-700G7A-Laptop/dp/B006TAKNB6 ?I have to get a gaming laptop(due to hospitalisation), unfortunately I am not made of money, what is the best choice?thanks

The graphics card on that is great for a laptop. Check out this site http://www.notebookc...0M.43077.0.html

P.S. I love this thread.

Edited by ExpandMyMind

Does anyone have some suggestions on a pc gaming build to make for a really low budget in the UK?

You can build a high-end gaming pc complete for less than £200, even less if you buy 2nd hand items.You don't need multi-threading, a dual core intel cpu is as good as it gets for gaming, the main expenses will be as good gpu (ebay is a good source and reliable if you use paypal, also DX11 will not be a standard for several years, so you can ignore those cards), and a good monitor which will support 1950 x1080(again ebay can be a good source as most home sellers ask for collection, which cuts down on the bids).Cut to the minimum, with a 2nd hand case, you could build a decent rig for not much more than £150 and be able to play, for eg all the steam games at high specs.Of course, once you have got the building bug, you will want to spend more and more!

Edited by alibongo

Get an old Core 2 Duo and socket 775 motherboard used from someone. Get some old memory to fit the board at least 4GB if Win 7 is 64 bit or 2GB if 32 bit. Get a quality PSU, Seasonic makes a 350watt for $45. Coolermaster has nice cases for under $40 or get a used on of those as well. Honetsly, used if fine for many parts, personally I have a used PC Power & Cooling 750 Silencer that has been running for years, a used LIan Li PC-& case I got from a customer when I swapped her into a smaller Lian Li for free, two used Raptor HDDsand a 5750 I got new from a buddy that I built a system for. Enthusiasts swap out of perfectly good parts yearly and buying their old stuff is a great way to go.

Edited by Merc14

Can anyone remember the days when upgrading your hardware or messing with your BIOS settings meant failing the Windows Genuine Advantage test? Or being pestered to go online to Validate before you've even connected a modem or installed any drivers?

Them was the days! lol

Can anyone remember the days when upgrading your hardware or messing with your BIOS settings meant failing the Windows Genuine Advantage test? Or being pestered to go online to Validate before you've even connected a modem or installed any drivers?

Them was the days! lol

No kidding, LOL. They have gotten a lot better. I have installed my upgrade Windows 8 Pro on new hardware three times now and had to call the last time but they activated for me. This is the $39.99 special that was for upgrade only. The first time was a fresh install as I didn't want to do an upgrade, I used teh registry twek, then I bought a SSD and did a fresh install on that and it activated automatically with teh registry tweak and this last time I bought a new mobo, CPU and memory and did another fresh install but I had to call. They activated over the phone.

• Like 1

Last time I built my own was when SLI was new(Nvidia's not 3d..... lol son of a I think it's time I upgraded. I knew I shouldn't of come in this topic got the building bug again :P.

Edited by Jinxdom
  • Like 1

It is quite possible to activate windows legally by subversive means.But who would want to make Bill Gates poorer than he is?

Edited by alibongo

Last time I built my own was when SLI was new(Nvidia's not 3d..... lol son of a I think it's time I upgraded. I knew I shouldn't of come in this topic got the building bug again :P.

My first build was on the A8N-SLI Deluxe! The Core 2 Duo knocked AMD out of the game and the new Ivybridge chips are incredibly powerful yet surprisingly cheap! My new 3740 is a quad core running at 3.2GHz. Should've gotten and unlocked one as I have the overclocking bug again. Anyways, I got a i5-3740 quad core for $184, full featured ATX mobo by Asus for $96 and 8GB of DDR-1600 memory for $25. Top it off with an SSD for $95 and Windows 8 for $39.99 and you get one helluva fast rig for well under $400. Good time to get the building bug back.

• Like 1

No kidding, LOL. They have gotten a lot better. I have installed my upgrade Windows 8 Pro on new hardware three times now and had to call the last time but they activated for me. This is the $39.99 special that was for upgrade only. The first time was a fresh install as I didn't want to do an upgrade, I used teh registry twek, then I bought a SSD and did a fresh install on that and it activated automatically with teh registry tweak and this last time I bought a new mobo, CPU and memory and did another fresh install but I had to call. They activated over the phone.

I don't know how you do it man, I just can't force myself to run Windows 8 on my desktop. It's painful.

I don't know how you do it man, I just can't force myself to run Windows 8 on my desktop. It's painful.

It takes a bit of gettting used to but I actually like it now. It is a faster, more responsive system and more secure and robust than even 7. The metro GUI is a loser for sure and hopefully they fix it this year with Blue but it is a minor distraction at this point and I heardly ever see it, just when I click over to type in a program request. Plus I got Windows 8 Pro with media Centre for $39.99 :yes: which covers for a lot of sins and supposedly Windows 9 will be a free upgrade for 8 users. :tu: On an SSD 8 moves at light speed.

am building a low budget computer " it's not low budget here though " :D

however am very picky and concerned about the motherboard

i have made up my mind about the

MSI B75A-G43

i have not dealt with MSI brand before for long term and what i've seen from other experince is that MSI

have really short life span .. comapred to say " ASUS " which is personal favorite of mine

i know the basic specs of the board but can anyone share experince with MSI Motherboards

it'll be most appricated

and suggestion for other brands similar in specs and price are also welcome

here's a full list of specs am expecting from the board

1- to support new proccessors Core I3.5.7

2- to support 32 GB of ram with speed of 1600 and above " 4 Slots "

3- to support sata III And USB 3

4- at least 2 PCI cards slots i still use those

endurance is my main concern on many levels such as heat , life span , and weird power behavior and shutting down " we have those much "

Edited by Knight Of Shadows

I generally build with Asus but have had luck with Asrock. This board has a Z75 chipset so it is Ivybridge ready and all the other things you were concerned about. NJot sure if B series can run Ivybridge but they are an older generation I believe.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157304

Some notes on chipsets for reference

http://www.techspot.com/guides/502-intel-ivy-bridge/page3.html

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

thanks mate .. now that's on my list too

in case i don't find ASUS p8b75-v which is my first choice based on personal experince asus is ultra durable

but specs on this board you gave are tempting :D

so can we say that Asrock is over MSI in on endurance level ?

Edited by Knight Of Shadows