Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is the NFL ready for an openly gay star?

Commander CMG

While it is not me that you were responding to, I'll chime in. I think it is lame to be overly PC. There is too much of it.

I agree with this,being PC and civil is not a problem.Being overly PC and in your face all the time is counterproductive to the point trying to be made.Instead of trying to change people you force them to take sides.

• Like 1

Ok, I agree with being overly PC. What I don't agree with is that this particular issue, gay people in America wanting equal treatment, has anything to do with being overly PC.

If someone of African descent gets mad that you said they were a black person instead of African American, or someone of Mexican descent getting mad that you called them Mexican instead of Mexican American, then I agree with you. If someone who is homosexual gets mad that you called them gay instead of homosexual, I'll agree that's overly PC.

Someone who is a homosexual and doesn't want live in a closet created by society, that is not being overly PC.

What it sounds like is some people, who ask others to be tolerable of some of their thoughts, beliefs, and ideas, don't want to share the same sentiment when it comes to those who are homosexual.

Again, is someone being offended by Chris Culliver being overly sensitive and PC? Did you all even look at the article, or remember who Chris Culliver is? The 49ers in that article didn't think they were being too PC.

You think it's a lame move to be PC? I hope you're just generalizing and have trivial things in mind, because I don't find it lame to not be prejudice over genetic traits.

Wow!

So if your not or do not practice PC your a racist? Homosexuality is genetic? Sorry G-D 777 you've lost me.

In my experience the people that spout the most PC crap are the ones that are farthest from believing it. Political Correctness is the bane of free speech and a crunch for people afraid of hearing the truth or more importantly afraid of speaking the truth.

As far as a "gay" professional football player coming out, who really gives a s%. I'm pretty sure there's alot more important things going on that a collection of intelligent people like ya'll and mees too could be commenting on.

• Like 2

Ok, I agree with being overly PC. What I don't agree with is that this particular issue, gay people in America wanting equal treatment, has anything to do with being overly PC.

If someone of African descent gets mad that you said they were a black person instead of African American, or someone of Mexican descent getting mad that you called them Mexican instead of Mexican American, then I agree with you. If someone who is homosexual gets mad that you called them gay instead of homosexual, I'll agree that's overly PC.

Someone who is a homosexual and doesn't want live in a closet created by society, that is not being overly PC.

What it sounds like is some people, who ask others to be tolerable of some of their thoughts, beliefs, and ideas, don't want to share the same sentiment when it comes to those who are homosexual.

Again, is someone being offended by Chris Culliver being overly sensitive and PC? Did you all even look at the article, or remember who Chris Culliver is? The 49ers in that article didn't think they were being too PC.

What i am saying here is that what someone prefers to sleep with is no ones damn business,big difference here in that and someones skin color.Straight or gay most do not care to hear about what someone else does in the bedroom.Telling someone they should be tolerant of others spouting off about their preferance all the time and should be celebrated as a hero just doesnt make sense.Most people get jobs,schooling,and praise based on their abilities not because they are so wrapped up in wanting to celebrate what they choose to sleep with.

• Like 1

You think it's a lame move to be PC? I hope you're just generalizing and have trivial things in mind, because I don't find it lame to not be prejudice over genetic traits.

Wow!

So if your not or do not practice PC your a racist? Homosexuality is genetic? Sorry G-D 777 you've lost me.

In my experience the people that spout the most PC crap are the ones that are farthest from believing it. Political Correctness is the bane of free speech and a crunch for people afraid of hearing the truth or more importantly afraid of speaking the truth.

As far as a "gay" professional football player coming out, who really gives a s%. I'm pretty sure there's alot more important things going on that a collection of intelligent people like ya'll and mees too could be commenting on.

I already gave examples of what being overly PC is. Wanting to be subject to the same laws and rights as everyone else is not being overly PC. What makes you a bigot is the fact that you want to discriminate against people.

Hell, Jim Crow was more tolerable than you appear to be, he at least wanted to provide the same facilities to those he was prejudice against. You, on the other hand, want homosexuals to stay inside and not spread 'the gay'.

Yes, it's not a choice. It's as much of a choice of who they find attractive, as it's as much of a choice of who you find attractive.

We don't want science to get in the way (I find most of you bigots are also religious), but here it is.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2005/jun/16/highereducation.uk3

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-12/being-born-gay-isnt-your-genes-its-them - Careful, this one has a comic of 2 dudes kissing, ewww

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biology_and_sexual_orientation

http://discovermagazine.com/2007/jun/born-gay#.UVIHuDfirDE

To be honest, I wish I could 'choose' who I find attractive. I would just 'choose' to be attracted to the ugly chicks no one wants.

Like this has anything to do with the NFL or a 'secret gay player.'

wake up .

what else is happening today and tomorrow? Oh, weird, the SCOTUS is reviewing gay marriage. What a crazy coincidence that the same week an NFL player may come out soon. I wonder if that story will drum up support for....

Wait a minute! The air! it's too fresh up here! Must ...put...head...back...under...sand....

ostrich-head-in-sand.jpg

• Like 2

What i am saying here is that what someone prefers to sleep with is no ones damn business,big difference here in that and someones skin color.Straight or gay most do not care to hear about what someone else does in the bedroom.Telling someone they should be tolerant of others spouting off about their preferance all the time and should be celebrated as a hero just doesnt make sense.Most people get jobs,schooling,and praise based on their abilities not because they are so wrapped up in wanting to celebrate what they choose to sleep with.

Crimson, again, I totally agree with the spirit of what you're saying. To be honest, none of this should matter, and everybody's sexual preference should be personal. Unfortunately, homosexuals tend to be bullied, and we know that's a hot button right now.

I don't understand the need to "come out". If people don't make a big deal out of being gay, but don't hide it, it usually doesn't make a blip on the radar. Look at Lilly Tomlin, Anthony Perkins, Paul Lynn, Roddy McDowel and Agnes Moorehead. None of them made a big deal of it, everyone knew and it didn't matter at all.

• Like 4

I don't understand the need to "come out". If people don't make a big deal out of being gay, but don't hide it, it usually doesn't make a blip on the radar. Look at Lilly Tomlin, Anthony Perkins, Paul Lynn, Roddy McDowel and Agnes Moorehead. None of them made a big deal of it, everyone knew and it didn't matter at all.

People, especially those with significant others, have you had to go visit them in the hospital ever? Are you on their insurance policy? Have you ever wanted to adopt a child?

You see, homosexual couples are robbed of these rights in some states. You flat out can be fired in Mississippi for being a homosexual.

You should all read this article: http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/24/opinion/sutter-franklin-county-mississippi-lgbt/index.html?hpt=us_t4

It puts it into perspective. Yeah, you think your "I don't care what they do, just keep it to yourself and behind closed doors" attitude doesn't hurt or oppress people, but it does. I now find that pic of the ostrich with it's head in the sand very ironic.

People, especially those with significant others, have you had to go visit them in the hospital ever? Are you on their insurance policy? Have you ever wanted to adopt a child?

You see, homosexual couples are robbed of these rights in some states.

Where are those rights listed in our Constitution? I forget...

Where are those rights listed in our Constitution? I forget...

Weird, never did I mention the constitution.

You see, homosexual couples are robbed of these rights in some states. You flat out can be fired in Mississippi for being a homosexual.

You should all read this article: http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=us_t4

It puts it into perspective. Yeah, you think your "I don't care what they do, just keep it to yourself and behind closed doors" attitude doesn't hurt or oppress people, but it does. I now find that pic of the ostrich with it's head in the sand very ironic.

None of those things have anything to do with coming out and publicly announcing it. They still won't have the same rights and some people will still be prejudiced against them. I'm saying a vast majority wouldn't think anything about someone talking about their significant other.

By the way, my favorite nephew is gay so don't presume to know what my attitude is.

Weird, never did I mention the constitution.

Weird, then they aren't Rights, which means they are are not guaranteed.

Rights are not anything that you believe they should be, bro.

• Like 1

None of those things have anything to do with coming out and publicly announcing it. They still won't have the same rights and some people will still be prejudiced against them. I'm saying a vast majority wouldn't think anything about someone talking about their significant other.

By the way, my favorite nephew is gay so don't presume to know what my attitude is.

No offence, but the statement wasn't about you, it's called a generalization, and you all keep doing it, so I'm jumping on the wagon. Also, I already explained the benefit of 'coming out' is. Maybe you didn't read all the posts?

Nice to know that your favorite nephew is gay, can I be racist since my nephew is black?

Green dude, this isn't a gay marriage thread. Be who you want. If you say you're gay and that's that then that's that. If you say you're gay and that I have to recognize it, I have to care for your plight and support your cause and I don't want to that's not me being a bigot. That's me minding my own damn business. When you force people to take an interest they probably won't. The problem with hardcore in your face recognize and support me activism or be damned is the part about being damned simply for not joining your fight.

• Like 1

Weird, then they aren't Rights, which means they are are not guaranteed.

Rights are not anything that you believe they should be, bro.

Weird, the states get to make some of their own rules, which isn't in the U.S. Constitution. So yes, they are rights, and to stay consistent with the previous practices of this country, homosexuals will (eventually) get the same rights as straight people.

Green dude, this isn't a gay marriage thread. Be who you want. If you say you're gay and that's that then that's that. If you say you're gay and that I have to recognize it, I have to care for your plight and support your cause and I don't want to that's not me being a bigot. That's me minding my own damn business. When you force people to take an interest they probably won't. The problem with hardcore in your face recognize and support me activism or be damned is the part about being damned simply for not joining your fight.

Actually, I'm aware it's not a gay marriage thread. If you also take notice, I'm retorting to all the bigotry I'm seeing. It's not me shifting the conversation, I'm just aggressively rebutting the nonsense I'm reading. No one is forcing you to take an interest, what will be forced (eventually) is fair treatment.

No offence, but the statement wasn't about you, it's called a generalization, and you all keep doing it, so I'm jumping on the wagon. Also, I already explained the benefit of 'coming out' is. Maybe you didn't read all the posts?

Nice to know that your favorite nephew is gay, can I be racist since my nephew is black?

Why is it people always say no offence right before they offend you? In the future, you may not want to insult people that agree with you. Nothing I said gave any indication I have anything against gays.

As a matter of fact, insulting anyone, when it comes to global warming, gay rights, or the like is not the way to influence people....just FYI.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

Why is it people always say no offence right before they offend you? In the future, you may not want to insult people that agree with you.

As a matter of fact, insulting anyone, when it somes to global warming, gay rights, or the like is not the way to influence people....just FYI.

The no offence part was for the statement that followed, as the original statement wasn't directed at you. That part shouldn't have been offensive to you.

The last line was meant to offend. That's a classic line for someone who is being prejudice, but justifies it because they know someone who is of the group they are being prejudice against. Hence my comment about my black nephew.

The no offence part was for the statement that followed, as the original statement wasn't directed at you. That part shouldn't have been offensive to you.

The last line was meant to offend. That's a classic line for someone who is being prejudice, but justifies it because they know someone who is of the group they are being prejudice against. Hence my comment about my black nephew.

When you say "you all" it sort of puts me in there too.

That comment has always irritated me because it's not logical. I'm supposed to say I don't associate with blacks or gays, because if I do I'm prejudiced?

Actually, I'm aware it's not a gay marriage thread. If you also take notice, I'm retorting to all the bigotry I'm seeing. It's not me shifting the conversation, I'm just aggressively rebutting the nonsense I'm reading. No one is forcing you to take an interest, what will be forced (eventually) is fair treatment.

Again G-D 777 you've lost me.

What bigotry? What nonsense? Seems to me like you've taken a majority of the previous posts like an attack against your personal beliefs. Chill out. Just because someone doesn't care one way or the other does not make them a bigot or racist.

• Like 3

When you say "you all" it sort of puts me in there too.

That comment has always irritated me because it's not logical. I'm supposed to say I don't associate with blacks or gays, because if I do I'm prejudiced?

C'mon Michelle, you're smarting than that. You're not supposed to be prejudice over things people can't control. I have black friends, gay friends, weird friends, etc. There is nothing wrong with that. There is something wrong with making a prejudice laced statement, then trying to justify it with, "It's cool, my _____ is black, gay, etc."

Really, your comments are not that inflammatory. You only got drug into this because I made a generalization about people and their "I don't care what they do, just keep it to yourself and behind closed doors" attitude. You displayed some signs of that attitude, so I did generalize you into that group. If you are not part of that group, then I apologize. If you are part of that group, I stand by my statements.

Either way, I still don't think you're a hateful bigot :)

C'mon Michelle, you're smarting than that. You're not supposed to be prejudice over things people can't control. I have black friends, gay friends, weird friends, etc. There is nothing wrong with that. There is something wrong with making a prejudice laced statement, then trying to justify it with, "It's cool, my _____ is black, gay, etc."

Really, your comments are not that inflammatory. You only got drug into this because I made a generalization about people and their "I don't care what they do, just keep it to yourself and behind closed doors" attitude. You displayed some signs of that attitude, so I did generalize you into that group. If you are not part of that group, then I apologize. If you are part of that group, I stand by my statements.

Either way, I still don't think you're a hateful bigot :)

Uh, well...thank you. :unsure2:

But, I would like for you to show me where I said anything about keeping it behind closed doors, if you would be so kind.

Edited by Michelle

Weird, the states get to make some of their own rules, which isn't in the U.S. Constitution.

Ahem....

never mind.... There's no arguing with a zealot, nor is there pointing out facts...

so I guess I'll just be quiet on this one.

real quiet..

tenth amendment.

HA ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again G-D 777 you've lost me.

What bigotry? What nonsense? Seems to me like you've taken a majority of the previous posts like an attack against your personal beliefs. Chill out. Just because someone doesn't care one way or the other does not make them a bigot or racist.

Some of the first nonsense came from your post. In the face of facts, you can still claim it's a choice.

Not once did I call someone who is removed from the debate a bigot or racist. Also, I didn't call anyone a racist. A bigot? I only call them like I see them, and someone who wants to deny someone the same rights as someone else based off of inherited traits is, by definition, a bigot. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigot