Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK's coldest spring since 1963 claims 5,000

Commander CMG

The mean temperature will become warmer and cause local climate regimes to shift (colder or warmer). There are very good reasons why a warmer planet can cause cooling in Northern Europe.

Br Cornelius

WHERE ALL GOING TO DIE. HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP.

• Like 2

Yeah the weather has been very odd. Was almost warm last week. Now this. Temp change seemed very sudden, was at work about 3 days ago doing some outside work and the the wind dropped off and then bang! picked up at galeforce strength and full of sleet and heavy hail. Went and checked the outside temp guage and it had fallen from +5 cent to -2 in about 10 mins.

Its gonna be fun if the greenland icecaps melt and block the gulf stream, will need to get used to colder weather etc we will have a canadian style climate then, longer colder winters etc and waaaaay more snow than we get at the moment.

• Like 1

I remember in High School comparing latitudes of Newfoundland and Ireland, and wonder why the latter is so much warmer than the former. If that current shuts down, Europe is in for some cold times, and global warming would probably do it.

And the key premise in climate change is that the climate will become warmer. (i also don't want another climate alarmist thread)

Down under we are having a serious drought. One day of rain in the last two months. Temperatures have been above 25oc for the past 4 months. It reminds me of the endless summers of my childhood that streched into April (like back in 92).

Prt of my uni studies last year was a section on climate change. There is a misconception that global warming means universal warmth when this is not the case. The uk is actually warmer in comparison to other countries at this latitude due to the gulf stream. Now assuming global warming keeps up what will happen is the ice caps melt, addiing colder what to the oceans which will causethhe gulf stream to be redirected, missing us completely. Sadly that means the Uk is one of the places that, during global warming will actually become colder instead of warmer.

So where are all the theorists on "the earth is warming up" ? its gone quiet around here.

The men in the white coats have come and taken them away.

I am going to stick my neck out and predict that if the Neutral ENSO persists into the summer we will see record breaking heat waves in the UK for at least part of the summer.

Everyone forgets that in the exceptional summer of 1976 (I can still remember it well) it snowed in early June.

If you refuse to attempt to grasp complex subjects like climate you are doomed to draw all the wrong conclusions when you look out of your window.

You can remind me of my predicton if I am wrong.

Br Cornelius

It could well be a strong headwind.But this Saturday morning just gone I woke up and it was white as the eye can see.Two hours later all the snow drifted off the tarmac with the rest remaining on the grass.If this was some kind of thaw it was the strangest I've ever seen.No bits of snow should have been left behind.Since then I've been seeing flurries on and off with a special type of non adhesive snow.That's despite the pavement being dry as a bone.It didn't even get to the ice stage despite it being bitterly cold.However the strong headwind did contribute to the chill factor of minus two in my parts.

The Weather people explained that the current cold spell in the U.K is due to the fact that the current high Jet Stream has moved south and is going over Spain,instead of the British Isles, as it normally does during March,This is allowing the cold arctic air to wander much further South, and so we have an un-natural shift in the system causing the current cold problem.They have not and probably cannot explain why this has happened, but have said that it maybe due to a shift in Ocean currents in the North Atlantic.

I am going to stick my neck out and predict that if the Neutral ENSO persists into the summer we will see record breaking heat waves in the UK for at least part of the summer.

Everyone forgets that in the exceptional summer of 1976 (I can still remember it well) it snowed in early June.

If you refuse to attempt to grasp complex subjects like climate you are doomed to draw all the wrong conclusions when you look out of your window.

You can remind me of my predicton if I am wrong.

Br Cornelius

you make me laugh. so your sticking your neck out predicting - in the summer months we might get a heat wave. no **** sherlock. you'd be better winding your neck in with predictions like that. i thought you was going to really stick your neck out and predict snow in july or something. im going to make a prediction, at some point next winter we might have cold weather. :nw:

The Weather people explained that the current cold spell in the U.K is due to the fact that the current high Jet Stream has moved south and is going over Spain,instead of the British Isles, as it normally does during March,This is allowing the cold arctic air to wander much further South, and so we have an un-natural shift in the system causing the current cold problem.They have not and probably cannot explain why this has happened, but have said that it maybe due to a shift in Ocean currents in the North Atlantic.

climate is always setting new records. trouble is these days they contribute anything and everything to man. yet if you study history you'll see the Romans cataloged extremes in weather here in Britain. so who do we blame back then? oh thats right it was natural.

If the Gulf Stream stops, how long will it take before Britain comes to be another Newfoundland?

you make me laugh. so your sticking your neck out predicting - in the summer months we might get a heat wave. no **** sherlock. you'd be better winding your neck in with predictions like that. i thought you was going to really stick your neck out and predict snow in july or something. im going to make a prediction, at some point next winter we might have cold weather. :nw:

A Record breaking heatwave - ie a noteworthy heatwave. This runs counter to all those ninies who are saying we are in the early stages of a new Ice age and that this current cold snap is somehow proof of it.

A short term weather forcast which will support the fact that global warming carries on a pace - even in little old blighty.

Br Cornelius

If the Gulf Stream stops, how long will it take before Britain comes to be another Newfoundland?

The day after.

Br Cornelius

climate is always setting new records. trouble is these days they contribute anything and everything to man. yet if you study history you'll see the Romans cataloged extremes in weather here in Britain. so who do we blame back then? oh thats right it was natural.

There is good evidence for suggesting that the Romans did in fact influence their climate through the radical land use changes they rought across the empire.

Br Cornelius

years back people would use their log burners, now the old have the electric or gas and today many just can not afford the costs.

I'd like to understand how they cannot afford to heat their houses with gas. Electricity is a lot more expensive, but gas is still relatively cheap. Say as pension is £140 a week, then even with electricity powered heating they should still be able to afford food and heating. Hell, if a pension was almost half that they could afford it.

I don't get it. It's either a case of them being too generous and splashing money of grandchildren, or a case of them being too stingy to spend the money on properly heating themselves. Either way, as far as I can tell (and I may be missing something), they should easily be able to afford to heat their houses and the deaths would seem to me to be self inflicted.

• Like 1

I'd like to understand how they cannot afford to heat their houses with gas. Electricity is a lot more expensive, but gas is still relatively cheap. Say as pension is £140 a week, then even with electricity powered heating they should still be able to afford food and heating. Hell, if a pension was almost half that they could afford it.

I don't get it. It's either a case of them being too generous and splashing money of grandchildren, or a case of them being too stingy to spend the money on properly heating themselves. Either way, as far as I can tell (and I may be missing something), they should easily be able to afford to heat their houses and the deaths would seem to me to be self inflicted.

I really do not know and as you have pointed out, 140 a week is well enough to live on and i understand the pensioners have help with their heating costs. But we hear how some pensioners can not afford the heating bills, I must say when I lived in a flat in London, the housing association put in new radiators, they said that the new boilers and radiators were going to save us money, it did on our electricity costs but the gas bill went up, the was not a lot of difference between the two after that. It may depend on where they live and what property they live in. But keeping warm really should not be a problem to the pensioners.

• Like 1

I looked at wikipedia and the min low is 5. So it seems the media have over reacted as usual

This was us a couple of days ago:

th_IMG_0408_zpsc0c8a848.jpg

th_IMG_0407_zps1169c693.jpg

th_IMG_0406_zps4561e204.jpg

th_IMG_0405_zps902b60e7.jpg

th_IMG_0404_zps5e220014.jpg

th_IMG_0403_zps3d9826c9.jpg

th_IMG_0402_zps9886a375.jpg

It was a nice day here in the North West! Cold but the sun made an appearance :clap:

• Like 1

This was us a couple of days ago:

th_IMG_0408_zpsc0c8a848.jpg

th_IMG_0407_zps1169c693.jpg

th_IMG_0406_zps4561e204.jpg

th_IMG_0405_zps902b60e7.jpg

th_IMG_0404_zps5e220014.jpg

th_IMG_0403_zps3d9826c9.jpg

th_IMG_0402_zps9886a375.jpg

Where do you live in the UK Xsas?... I live by the Goyt Valley and it's not been too bad, freezing cold and snow flurries but we've not been snowed in. The pennines are covered in snow and if you head towards Buxton the snow is worse.

Edited by Star of the Sea
  • Like 1

Where do you live in the UK Xsas?... I live by the Goyt Valley and it's not been too bad, freezing cold and snow flurries but we've not been snowed in. The pennines are covered in snow and if you head towards Buxton the snow is worse.

On the edge of the Howarth Moors..

Yor

On the edge of the Howarth Moors..

Bronte land? Looks like from your photos the weather has been severe. Let's hope this weekend we get a bit of a thaw. Happy Easter!

• Like 1

Yor

Bronte land? Looks like from your photos the weather has been severe. Let's hope this weekend we get a bit of a thaw. Happy Easter!

We have not done so bad this year, compared to others, a few local farmers try to keep things moving by clearing the roads.

At least I have my Easter eggs now.

Happy Easter to you & yours also, and try not to forget the true meaning of Easter........ Chocolate & Wine

• Like 3