Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Abu Qatada Government lose deportation appeal

Commander CMG

Home Secretary Theresa May has lost her appeal against a ruling preventing the deportation of preacher Abu Qatada.

Last year, the Special Immigration Appeals Commission said the radical cleric could not be returned to Jordan.

Judges say he could face an unfair trial involving evidence obtained by torturing others.

The Home Office said it would seek to appeal, adding: "This is not the end of the road. The government remains determined to deport Abu Qatada."

arrow3.gifView: Read More

• Like 1

what a pile of crap. its this sort of thing which shows just how weak we are, just kick him and his family out. make them refugees. problem sorted.

• Like 1

Just leave it a couple of months & then in the early hours put him & his family on a military plane to jordan, take the indignation & moral outrage from all those upset liberals for a few weeks & forget about him. job done.

• Like 3

Just leave it a couple of months & then in the early hours put him & his family on a military plane to jordan, take the indignation & moral outrage from all those upset liberals for a few weeks & forget about him. job done.

The same attitude lead to British Citizens been "specially rendered" to Guantanamo nearly 10 years ago. Many are still there and have been cleared as been no threat to anyone - yet they are still been detained without trial and with no prospect of ever been released. This is the respectable side of special renditions which the UK government was complicit in, as many were rendered to countries like Jordan, Egypt, Libya, Poland and other places where the concept of torture been an acceptable way to build a case are considered legitimate.

When you start to pick and choose the laws you do and don't like its only a matter of time before you become the victim of such injustices. Do you really imagine that the human rights act isn't there to protect you and yours ?

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

End of the day he is in the country illegally anyway,Just tell the human rights courts to sod off and deport him!

• Like 1

excellent idea. :tu: and cost effective. job done. the above is the clear decisive action i miss from this country. and the sooner it returns the better.

Do you really imagine that the human rights act isn't there to protect you and yours ?

Br Cornelius

It most certainly is. i'd never be in favour of ditching it, it's done far more good then harm. It is a double edged sword though, there is no doubt in my mind that qatada would like a hand in many more attacks in this country, if he had his way and I was unfortunate enough to be caught up in it then the human rights act failed to protect me and mine....

Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

• Like 2

If he is a criminal - which he certainly seems to be - its our responsibility to prosecute him and send him to jail. If he isn't a criminal then he should be left alone.

I really cannot understand why the UK police cannot construct a credible case for indefinate detention without having to resort to the use of evidence obtained through torture. If there is a body of credible evidence why isn't it been used ? Is it really the case that this man is been held on the basis of evidence which is so compelling - yet so dodgy that it cannot be brough to a court of law for a legal resolution.

It seems a very sad reflection on where justice has arrived at where people can be detained on the basis of secret reports which can never be tested in court.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

If he is a criminal - which he certainly seems to be - its our responsibility to prosecute him and send him to jail. If he isn't a criminal then he should be left alone.

Br Cornelius

we dont seem to be able to thanks to the human rights act. it seems to protect him from facing the terrorism charges in Jordan. yet the same human right laws dont seem to be working to protect us here in the UK from him and his activities meanwhile he lives on full benefits costing us thousands. and this doesn't take into account the police protection and security. lets remind ourselves who this man is. a man who plotted terrorist attacks in Jordan. who then fled to the UK seeking asylum. and we was stupid enough to give him it. then he turns on us and starts preaching hate here in the UK, which encourages terrorist activity. and now were stuck with him.

'Itsnot' - in post 4 has the right idea.

• Like 1

we dont seem to be able to thanks to the human rights act. it seems to protect him from facing the terrorism charges in Jordan. yet the same human right laws dont seem to be working to protect us here in the UK from him and his activities meanwhile he lives on full benefits costing us thousands. and this doesn't take into account the police protection and security. lets remind ourselves who this man is. a man who plotted terrorist attacks in Jordan. who then fled to the UK seeking asylum. and we was stupid enough to give him it. then he turns on us and starts preaching hate here in the UK, which encourages terrorist activity. and now were stuck with him.

'Itsnot' - in post 4 has the right idea.

Why can't we make a case if he is planning terrorist acts in the UK ? Thats the simple question here.

Has he broken a law within the UK - if not then he is not a criminal in the UK.

This has nothing to do with whether the human rights act can protect UK citizens from the likes of Abu Qatada - that is a job for the terrorist laws in this country.

Please try not to confuse the issues regarding the human rights act.

Br Cornelius

Thankfully the British Government has come out and said that it will still do all it can to get that scumbag out of the country. It is to appeal again.

Again? For the love of.... :no: Precisely what sort of incompetent lawyers does the government employ?

Okay, if our genius temp working experts in a government that supposedly works to protect us do read crap online, may I humbly make a suggestion:

Here's a thought. Invite Qatada's legal team into the Home Office, say within the next two days. Sit them down. Offer a cup of tea. A biscuit if we can afford one. Then tell them this.

Since you want to support a man who seems not to like the country that gave him a safe refuge, and we want him out and you don't, here's what's going to happen.

No more legal aid funded by the taxpayer. You want to defend him, YOU pay for him and his protection.

Don't like that? Oh shame. Here's the next one.

Since you think highly of Qatada, we are willing for you, his legal experts to go to Jordan with him. Yes, we'll arrange for your bona fides to be allowed, and you - plus your family - can defend him over there. After all, we can do with a few less legal sods....

Edited by Shayde
  • Like 1

The same attitude lead to British Citizens been "specially rendered" to Guantanamo nearly 10 years ago. Many are still there and have been cleared as been no threat to anyone - yet they are still been detained without trial and with no prospect of ever been released. This is the respectable side of special renditions which the UK government was complicit in, as many were rendered to countries like Jordan, Egypt, Libya, Poland and other places where the concept of torture been an acceptable way to build a case are considered legitimate.

When you start to pick and choose the laws you do and don't like its only a matter of time before you become the victim of such injustices. Do you really imagine that the human rights act isn't there to protect you and yours ?

Br Cornelius

Yes, I understand that the UK is a beacon to the rest of the world with regard to international law & morality but i think just this once we could make an exception.

The home office isn't determined enough in my opinion, why not send the judges who say he would face an unfair trial with him to adjudicate.

I would deport him on the grounds he entered the UK on false documents, If he has to face a trial on separate issues tough go fight the accusations

• Like 1

The home office isn't determined enough in my opinion, why not send the judges who say he would face an unfair trial with him to adjudicate.

I would deport him on the grounds he entered the UK on false documents, If he has to face a trial on separate issues tough go fight the accusations

To be perfectly honest i don't think that entering the UK on false documents has ever been a bar to settling in this country. If it were as simple as that there would be a few hundred thousand on there way home right now.

To be perfectly honest i don't think that entering the UK on false documents has ever been a bar to settling in this country. If it were as simple as that there would be a few hundred thousand on there way home right now.

It should be, as its first contact with someone and already they're being deceitful, In Qatadas case he claimed persecution and perhaps has a legit reason for the passport, the home office thought it was anyway.