Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

50% of U.S rivers unsuitable for aquatic life

Still Waters

Fifty-five percent of U.S. river and stream lengths were in poor condition for aquatic life, largely under threat from runoff contaminated by fertilizers, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said on Tuesday.

High levels of phosphorus and nitrogen, runoff from urban areas, shrinking ground cover and pollution from mercury and bacteria were putting the 1.2 million miles of streams and rivers surveyed under stress, the EPA said.

http://usnews.nbcnew...uatic-life?lite

• Like 3

No surprise to me.

Now if we just had a legitimate leader in the White House, things might change. Alas. :no:

• Like 2

Glad I live in environmentally consience Washington. Even here we have problems but we tend to be aware of it and quick to act.

• Like 1

*cough cough* Hanford Oversword.

We had a similar thing about 20yrs ago in the UK, industry was allowed to dump into and pollute our rivers, we banned it and slowly our rivers have regained.

We had a similar thing about 20yrs ago in the UK, industry was allowed to dump into and pollute our rivers, we banned it and slowly our rivers have regained.

Anyone who is into Bush craft, survival or a ranger in the UK will tell you to try to avoid fish or plants from rivers (or near rivers for plants) in the UK. It's a last resort, because of Pollution. Also better to do it in the winter because the rivers run faster which means less pollution. (even Ray Mears has stated this)

• Like 1

I grew up in a farming community. Us kids use to swim in the rivers around this farmland. When I got older I got to thinking about the runoff from farms and thought that was the stupidest thing I had ever done.

Where I live now we have a nice clean creek that I swim in. Its the cleanest creek in the state and I want to keep it that way so if i catch anyone driving their 4 wheelers in it I call the dept of conservation and they get a ticket.

*cough cough* Hanford Oversword.

DOH! We will act. If that were in NY you wouldn't even know about it yet. Plus I think that may be a federal site so out of state control.Also, that's on the otherside of the mountains, the people on the east and west side of the mountains are like brothers that don't speak at family gatherings. Have I made enough excuses yet? I could probably think up more.

Anyone who is into Bush craft, survival or a ranger in the UK will tell you to try to avoid fish or plants from rivers (or near rivers for plants) in the UK. It's a last resort, because of Pollution. Also better to do it in the winter because the rivers run faster which means less pollution. (even Ray Mears has stated this)

I'm really going off the study into otters and how the pollution nearly wiped them out, but are slowly starting to repopulate them. I personally wouldn't dream of eating something from a UK river lol I'm not that brave