Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

why do people believe dinosaurs exist

ali smack

I don't think it would even be possible for some of the larger ones to survive now. The oxygen levels were much higher in dino times, which means everything could grow much bigger (including insects). Most likely they would slowly sufficate on modern Earth. It would be like us trying to breath up the tallest mountains, if you stay up to long the oxygen in the blood drops too low and you die.

Edited by Finity

I don't think it would even be possible for some of the larger ones to survive now. The oxygen levels were much higher in dino times, which means everything could grow much bigger (including insects). Most likely they would slowly sufficate on modern Earth. It would be like us trying to breath up the tallest mountains, if you stay up to long the oxygen in the blood drops too low and you die.

None of the dinos could survive today. They lack a diaphram, which means they couldn't get enough air in their lungs.

None of the dinos could survive today. They lack a diaphram, which means they couldn't get enough air in their lungs.

A diaphragm is not the only anatomical means of drawing air into the respiratory system. Birds do not have a diaphragm, yet their respiratory system is the most efficient of all modern vertebrates.

Cases like these you mean:

the Mokele Mmembe,

weird "pteredon"s,

loch ness monster.

Could it be possible that these are undiscovered animals who live in remote places?

You ask how dinosaurs could'nt have survived the earth's changing climate and catastrophes but other animals i.e. crocodiles did.

Food, being vast size but very large animals don't have to live off giant prey.

I'm not suggesting dinosaurs still exist.

What about tiny dinosaurs or marine reptiles in the deepest seas?

The marine reptiles have to breath. Which is why there couldn't be asny in lakes, we'd see them.

The marine reptiles have to breath. Which is why there couldn't be asny in lakes, we'd see them.

But we see turtles in lakes all the time....

But we see turtles in lakes all the time....

I meant the large ones from dino time. And you made my point, we see turtles becaese they have to come for air.

• 2 months later...

I think that living dinosaurs are extremely unlikely. It's been more than 65 million years since the extinction of the dinosaurs. I'd think they would've evolved into something, died out, been discovered, etc. Also, I'm assuming that Earth has changed in many ways since the reign of the dinosaurs. How would they cope with the new environment? Would it have the same food they would need? The same prey/predators? The geography and climate? And the list goes on.

And if it was a large dinosaur, it would be very easy to discover. Not only due to its size, but think about the waste it would leave behind, the tracks, the signs of its habitat, its feeding grounds, etc. And this is just for one of these large creatures. If there were more for a breeding population, then take all that and multiply it by however many creatures you need to have a stable population. For the small dinosaurs, I would believe that it would still leave behind evidence of its existence. And I refer to reasons I have stated in the first paragraph.

I don't think we want a real-life Jurassic Park incident happening anyways.

Coelacanth springs to mind quite readily

Edited by issues

What about "Earth is round now, it was thought to be flat"?

There's many differences between a prehistoric fish that was thought to be extinct being discovered, and a living breathing dinosaur...

Edited by Space_Jockey

Here's my two cents

There are two kinds of people who believe in dinosaurs

1. People who believe dinosaurs still exist today are people whose lives depend on believing and fearing strong superstitions and legends. I'm talking about people who hunt in the forests, and fish in the seas, risking lives everyday for livelihood. When people die during their daily routines, myths may be built around their deaths.

2. They're not fascinated enough by creatures that are alive today, and would like to believe dinosaurs and other giant creatures from the past are real, and keep believing "what if?".. (Obviously ignoring the huge alligators and fish still out there).

There used to be a guy in the forum that defended the existence of dragons! His reasoning was pretty creative.

What about "Earth is round now, it was thought to be flat"?

There's many differences between a prehistoric fish that was thought to be extinct being discovered, and a living breathing dinosaur...

Pretty sure there was a bloke back in the day that proved the Earth was round but the Religious Majority said NO!

Pretty sure there was a bloke back in the day that proved the Earth was round but the Religious Majority said NO!

Nope, not really. The Church fighting science for a Flat Earth is a fabrication of the Enlightenment. The ancient Greeks asserted and proved that the Earth was round and after that, there was no widespread belief of the opposite.

And as for the Coelacanth, as I've explained before on numerous occasions in similar threads, it is a very bad analogue for a surviving dinosaur even though its order was thought to have become extinct and then later, two extant species were discovered. The problem is that the survivors are both deep-see fish and the ones we know from fossils are from shallow waters. We simply don't have access many deep-sea fossil beds, since most of them are still under a lot of water. This is not the case with dinosaurs, who were strictly land-dwelling animals. If some of them survived the K-Pg Event, we would have found some fossil evidence by now. We know of millions of individual dinosaur fossils after K-Pg, and we see dinosaurs every day. They are called birds.

• Like 1

we see dinosaurs every day. They are called birds.

True that! Yesterdays dinosaurs are todays birds. I enjoyed the rest of your post, very informative.

When was the coelacanth considered a large dinosaur?

I don't know about dinosaurs, but one of my friends is married to a dragon!

would that dragon be grand and wear a hood?

I don't understand how people can believe in them existing. it's just not likely at all. the food they'd have to eat would be imense, how would they survive exinction, the atmosphere and climate is totally different. its just not possible. but people still inisist on seeing them.

why?

Well how else would you explain those huge fossilized bones?

I think the basic idea is like this. Alligators have remained since then relatively unchanged as a species, except for growing smaller. Perhaps the sauropods went through a similar process.

Difference being pretty much everybody has seen an alligator, don't know many who have seen a dinosaur.

Nope, not really. The Church fighting science for a Flat Earth is a fabrication of the Enlightenment. The ancient Greeks asserted and proved that the Earth was round and after that, there was no widespread belief of the opposite.

And as for the Coelacanth, as I've explained before on numerous occasions in similar threads, it is a very bad analogue for a surviving dinosaur even though its order was thought to have become extinct and then later, two extant species were discovered. The problem is that the survivors are both deep-see fish and the ones we know from fossils are from shallow waters. We simply don't have access many deep-sea fossil beds, since most of them are still under a lot of water. This is not the case with dinosaurs, who were strictly land-dwelling animals. If some of them survived the K-Pg Event, we would have found some fossil evidence by now. We know of millions of individual dinosaur fossils after K-Pg, and we see dinosaurs every day. They are called birds.

You mean they were found in a fish market right. As fot the k-pg event why aren't there any fossels of dinos in event line

Ali smack you on't believe in evolution.

actuslly, the issue the Cathlic Chirch had wasn't the shapr of the Earth (which is immaterial to doctrine) but rather to the place of Earth in the scheme of thnigs, centre ofbthe universe was the party line.

You mean they were found in a fish market right. As fot the k-pg event why aren't there any fossels of dinos in event line

I don't really get what you mean. The first live specimen was found as bycatch on a trawler ship, but we still have no fossils of any deep-sea lobe-finned fish. And as for the second question, the K-Pg line is about a centimetre thick, it would be pretty damn hard to find a dinosaur there. We have them beneath it, and we don't have any non-avian dinosaurs above it.

They do exist?

Thought they died out quite a while back.

I don't really get what you mean. The first live specimen was found as bycatch on a trawler ship, but we still have no fossils of any deep-sea lobe-finned fish. And as for the second question, the K-Pg line is about a centimetre thick, it would be pretty damn hard to find a dinosaur there. We have them beneath it, and we don't have any non-avian dinosaurs above it.

That is my point if they died to the asteroid strike. How come there aren't any in that layer. They would have died then that centimeter of dust would settle around them. Thus there should be foaaels in the layer.

As for the fish. The men who knew what it as saw it in a fish market. The fishermen had been catching them for years. I think they were being sold for dog food. They don't taste good to us.