Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gigantic Spider in Sri Lanka

quasar_kid

Wow, how awesome. In the invert pet trade, the Poecilotheria species is given the common name of Ornamental Spiders for good reason. Every one of these arboreal tarantulas are stunningly gorgeous.

This rather oversized species certainly won't be making the pet trade though.

Awesome pokies! Is that ornata on your hand, loooong legs? There used to be a breeder with the most awesome T photos on his site. I think he went out of business.

My son breeds and raises them. They are very cool and some stunningly beautiful. Each kind so different in temperament.

• Like 1

I'm not a spider fan. I was just minding my own business laying in bed, on my back talking on the phone. Then a spider has the nerve to spin its web from the ceiling down to my face. Not as big as this one though.

If these spiders were loose in my home, i'd have to get the frying pan out. They are probably too big to vacuum up.

• Like 1

Some species in the pet trade can fetch $100s of dollars. Such as this one, Poecilotheria metallica:

tumblr_mg0ivzremj1r8x2ybo1_500.jpg

290px-Poecilotheria_metallica.jpg

This species are jungle arboreals, very quick and have a nastier venom than say the common Rose-Hair. No a good choice for inexperience tarantula keepers.

I took my son to the Smithsonian Natural History Museum and they had nothing like these beauties.

I'm not a spider fan. I was just minding my own business laying in bed, on my back talking on the phone. Then a spider has the nerve to spin its web from the ceiling down to my face. Not as big as this one though.

If these spiders were loose in my home, i'd have to get the frying pan out. They are probably too big to vacuum up.

I will not be able to kill the thing..too scared to go near it and it just freaks me out. I would probably ran from the room, close the door and call someone to come get it. I get all freaked out just thinking of having to kill it (not because I like spiders..I hate them) but just the idea of getting so close that I can actually hit it with something.

Awesome pokies! Is that ornata on your hand, loooong legs? There used to be a breeder with the most awesome T photos on his site. I think he went out of business.

My son breeds and raises them. They are very cool and some stunningly beautiful. Each kind so different in temperament.

Awesome! Unfortunately none of these pics are of any tarantulas I own just randoms off the internet. I no longer have any inverts at the moment but used to be a hobbyist several years back.

I can throw up pics of amazingly beautiful tarantulas all day long. They are nature's jewels.

That's true that each species has its own temperment, some are gentle and handable as puppies, others are flighty, and again others are bitey. And oftentimes tarantulas are rather individual as shown with the pic of the tame P. ornata and likewise someone may have a pet rose hair or red-knee, a species notorious for their docile natures, with an attitude.

Most new world tarantulas have adapted a defensive mechanism of urticating hair, in which they can kick hairs off their abdomens to protect themselves from predators. The hairs serves as irritant, that can temporarily blind predators and give their mouths, noses, and other tender parts of the body inflammation and swelling. Urticating hairs are nasty on the business end.

Old world tarantulas have not adapted this defensive mechanism, but generally speaking are very fast, aggressive, and possess stronger venoms than the new worlds (no one has died of a tarantula bite mind you) that may require a hospital visit. Especially the ones from Asia, the Pokies, and the African Baboon Spiders.

The great thing about Pokies is they are an arboreal tarantula, not only is this species dazzling to look at but they are also a very visible tarantulas. Alot of species of tarantulas are burrowers and you may rarely see them in captivity for months at time like the Asia tarantulas. The African Baboon Spiders do burrow but they are more visible webbers, in that they will spin silk EVERYWHERE.

Here the burrowing Blue Baboon Spider from Socata Island off of Yemen situated on the Arabian Peninsula:

Monocentropus balfouri

pc98fa8gar.jpg?m=1297138810

Here is the arboreal Antilles Pinktoe, somewhat skittish mostly docile fuzzy teddybear, from Martinique and Guadeloupe:

Avicularia versicolor

Av_versicolor_m1.jpg

Edited by B Jenkins

Awesome!

He got to go to the Amazon for 3 weeks at about 14 and made friends with a local Indian boy. He had a ball going out day and night and coaxing the arboreals and terrestrials out. Not to mention all the ones that inhabited their sleeping quarter's ceiling.

We had a Pink Toe (Avicularia Avi) I loved her. She had "ballet slippers on" and walked so gracefully!

We had a large orange cat at the time he got into T's and he was a feisty cat but we loved him. We ended up calling him OBT! lol

Cool! Thanks for the pix, they are definitely one of nature's best works of art.

Edited by QuiteContrary

He got to go to the Amazon for 3 weeks at about 14 and made friends with a local Indian boy. He had a ball going out day and night and coaxing the arboreals and terrestrials out. Not to mention all the ones that inhabited their sleeping quarter's ceiling.

We had a Pink Toe (Avicularia Avi) I loved her. She had "ballet slippers on" and walked so gracefully!

We had a large orange cat at the time he got into T's and he was a feisty cat but we loved him. We ended up calling him OBT! lol

Cool! Thanks for the pix, they are definitely one of nature's best works of art.

What an awesome experience. Pink toes are awesome spiders. Very beautiful and very fuzzy.

And ya know what OBT stands for ... right? Orange Bitey Thing! ;)

A trade inside joke for arachnohobbyists.

• Like 1

What an awesome experience. Pink toes are awesome spiders. Very beautiful and very fuzzy.

That's why we nicknamed our feisty orange cat OBT. It fit him perfectly. lol

Edited by QuiteContrary

Agh, I had to go read this thread the day after I faced a Huntsman in my laundry :no: .

Honestly, though there comes a point where spiders are actually too big to kill without getting a guilty conscience. Go figure.

I actually had to "suck it up" and get a jar, follow it around, trying not to freak out and trap it - took a good 10 minutes. I then went outside and around the block and dropped it off making sure I ran back in the opposite direction it was headed when it hightailed it out of the jar.

*secretly proud I faced that lol*.

• Like 2

To all those people calling this 'awesome' or 'beautiful', well, you're absolutely entitled to those views, but I personally think you're mad...

These 'creatures' are the most terrifying creatures alive, I would rather be in a river full of crocodiles than a room with a turantula, they terrify me, they petrify me, they are the reason I thank whatever lord there might be that I live in my homeland of Britain. South America? Australia? India? No thanks, I will never in my life visit them because there's even a slight chance I'd bump into these things.

To sum up...I hate these things....I truly do, they can't die quickly enough.

Edited by TheSpoonyOne

a little grick sum butter add vegy's oh hell yea we got us a hobo barbaque

To all those people calling this 'awesome' or 'beautiful', well, you're absolutely entitled to those views, but I personally think you're mad...

These 'creatures' are the most terrifying creatures alive, I would rather be in a river full of crocodiles than a room with a turantula, they terrify me, they petrify me, they are the reason I thank whatever lord there might be that I live in my homeland of Britain. South America? Australia? India? No thanks, I will never in my life visit them because there's even a slight chance I'd bump into these things.

To sum up...I hate these things....I truly do, they can't die quickly enough.

A croc will tear you apart. Anyway Humans are the most terrifying creatures alive

It's funny how my spider phobia at the same time tells me to cover myself and freeze in fear, and at the same time I want to pet those cute... :D

Spider man, help! Please take a looksy at my post and help me identify a spider that jumped on me in the middle of the night!

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=245955&st=0#entry4727505

Also, what are those pokey things on it's butt?

Thank you!

I just want to make sure I did not get bit by a brown recluse so I can get some sleep

Am I the only one who thinks that Lars Ulrich has probably tried to sue the blue one for copyright infrigement? ;)

I hate spiders they terrify me and after living in the south pacific I've seen some of the illest spiders to man.

Spider man, help! Please take a looksy at my post and help me identify a spider that jumped on me in the middle of the night!

http://www.unexplain...=0#entry4727505

Also, what are those pokey things on it's butt?

Thank you!

I just want to make sure I did not get bit by a brown recluse so I can get some sleep

That is NOT a brown recluse! Species of Brown Recluse are often identified by the patterns of its leg sizes. I am not sure what it is but it is a completely harmless species.

Those pokey things are called the spinnerets. That is where the silk for their webs are spun from.

• Like 1

I'm from Belgium, we only have common house spiders, some of which can grow to a size I've never seen, so I'm thinking certain species are crossbredding with each other due to the climate changes all over the world. We're now experiencing a weird spring. It's still 4 °C outside while it should be inbetween 14 °C - 25 °C. I think once the warm weather continuously begins, we'll be flooded with spiders. Either that, or most native spiders have not survived the long winter or they have emigrated too far.