Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Need help Identifying spider

Lava_Lady

A big, fuzzy, brown spider jumped on me while I was drifting off to sleep. It's about the size of a dime (it's big if you find it crawling on you in bed in the middle of the night) and I managed to swat it off me without killing it although it is, unfortunately, minus one leg.

I tried googling it but am still not sure what it is. I'm waffling between huntsmen spider, we call them cane spiders in Hawaii because they used to live in the old sugar cane fields and when the fields were burned they would scurry out enforce and literally cover the road. It looks like it but it's much smaller than any cane spider I've ever seen, they are usually as big as a small tarantula. Could it be a baby?

It also looks like a brown recluse but a bit thicker.

I'm hoping it's just a huntsmen. Photo below.

Thanks for any help!

post-109094-0-62722500-1365419512_thumb.

• Like 1

Huntsmen Spider

post-109094-0-14484700-1365420004_thumb.

Edited by Lava_Lady

Looks like a Huntsman to me. Had one crawl up my leg at night and scare me before not nice. Huntsmans where I live come in different sizes and range from grey to brown

• Like 1

Brown Recluse... Ugh sorry, trying to upload and can't seem to male it work.

post-109094-0-58021200-1365421477_thumb.

Edited by Lava_Lady

Looks like a Huntsman to me. Had one crawl up my leg at night and scare me before not nice. Huntsmans where I live come in different sizes and range from grey to brown

I sure hope it is a huntsmen. I've seen the recluse's bite, very scary.

• Like 1

I'm leaning towards huntsman, but is that a little tail like thing on the back of it. Because if so, I've never seen a huntsman with one of those.

It may even be one of those small brown house spiders. There are thousands of them.

• Like 1

I'm leaning towards huntsman, but is that a little tail like thing on the back of it. Because if so, I've never seen a huntsman with one of those.

It may even be one of those small brown house spiders. There are thousands of them.

Yes, I had the same question about those. I don't see those on any of the photos I googled. Maybe a gender thing?

no definately not a huntsman. I should know... one huntsman bit me near the groin area while i was trying to sleep. I killed it. Thank god it wasn't a redback.

Your spider seems more like the common brown house spider.

https://www.google.c...iw=1366&bih=605

Edited by pitchp
  • Like 1

no definately not a huntsman. I should know... one huntsman bit me near the groin area while i was trying to sleep. I killed it. Thank god it wasn't a redback.

Your spider seems more like the common brown house spider.

https://www.google.c...iw=1366&bih=605

It does look very similar and I sure hope that's all it is. I've only seen daddy longlegs in my house before. This guys family has been hiding.

Its not a recluse that's for sure the markings and anatomy are different, the recluse doesn't have huge spinneretes ( tail feature) and they have a darker brown region at the front where the eyes are, it does look like a cane spider but again the tail bit is odd for a cane spider but it could just be a shadow or something in your pic.

Warning large pic of spider (cane spider)

It does have a similar body structure to this which is a cane spider.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-N5qKorPEkpo/Td2ecafps_I/AAAAAAAAASQ/4TMU6XoLZWo/s1600/IMG_1041.JPG

Yeah it's definitely not a huntsman! I don't know what it is though.

Common house spider like pitchp suggested?

Its not a recluse that's for sure the markings and anatomy are different, the recluse doesn't have huge spinneretes ( tail feature) and they have a darker brown region at the front where the eyes are, it does look like a cane spider but again the tail bit is odd for a cane spider but it could just be a shadow or something in your pic.

Warning large pic of spider (cane spider)

It does have a similar body structure to this which is a cane spider.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-N5qKorPEkpo/Td2ecafps_I/AAAAAAAAASQ/4TMU6XoLZWo/s1600/IMG_1041.JPG

You sound pretty sure it's not a recluse, that makes

Me feel better but honestly, at this point, all the spiders are starting to look alike! Lol

It's not a recluse, this is a recluse.

Brown%20Recluse%20Spider.jpg

I think it looks like a Cane spider..

Uggh. Big man here scared of two things, clowns and spiders. And hairy spiders are the worst. Who cares what species it is! Especially on your pillow!!! lol

• Like 1

Yeah, I am not normally fussed about spiders but we don't really have dangerous ones here in the UK. If that thing showed up on my pillow I don't think I would sleep for a week!!

Uggh. Big man here scared of two things, clowns and spiders. And hairy spiders are the worst. Who cares what species it is! Especially on your pillow!!! lol

Agree about clowns... creepy. Why all the make up??? What are they hiding??? Worse than spiders to me...I can kill a spider if out bothers me... Lol

• Like 1

Yeah, I am not normally fussed about spiders but we don't really have dangerous ones here in the UK. If that thing showed up on my pillow I don't think I would sleep for a week!!

I shook out my blanket and pillows and pounded the mattress to send a message to any of it's friends that might be around then stayed up with the lights on till about 3 am when I finally dropped off. No other spiders woke me up lol

It's not a recluse, this is a recluse.

Brown%20Recluse%20Spider.jpg

Stupid google.... Said it was a recluse. It's probably another huntsmen.

Thank you for the correction!

Did it bite you ?

I don't think so but being a hypochondriac, I've been bitten, it's poisonous, and I should be going into anaphylactic shock any minute now... Maybe after I have some coffee.

• Like 3

The prongs at the back definately indicate its female.

It looks a bit like a wolf spider ,but doe it have the four eyes ?

Wolf spiders have very apparent four eyes on their head .

http://www.termite.com/spider-identification.html

It's a girl! I'll call her Charlotte.

I can't tell about the eyes but I think pitchp is correct she looks like a common house spider...although not so common in my house since third it's the first I've seen.

• Like 1

Could also be a Wolf Spider, I've got one in my garden hut,I call it Fred,and its been there years.Its the cleanest insect free hut on the planet.

The photo is too rough.

Yet the legs look too short and robust for a cane spider. I am not familiar with Hawaii's indigeneous and introduced species of true spider.

It does resemble a wolf spider....

and a grass spider (Agelenopsis/Agelena but don't think this species has been introduced to the islands) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agelena http://en.wikipedia....ki/Grass_spider ...

or a fishing spider (Dolomedes, also don't believe this species has been introduced to the islands) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolomedes

Could be a cane spider? But the ONE thing I do know without a doubt is that that species you photographed is not dangerous but completely harmless.

Edited by B Jenkins