Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Need help Identifying spider

Lava_Lady

Could also be a Wolf Spider, I've got one in my garden hut,I call it Fred,and its been there years.Its the cleanest insect free hut on the planet.

How big is Fred?

I'm sorry to report that Charlotte did not make it through the night. I think I may have swatted her a bit too hard. :( I felt something crawling on my neck and jumped up just slapping myself silly! I didn't know what the heck it was and had a mini freak out. Lol

How big is Fred?

I'm sorry to report that Charlotte did not make it through the night. I think I may have swatted her a bit too hard. :( I felt something crawling on my neck and jumped up just slapping myself silly! I didn't know what the heck it was and had a mini freak out. Lol

Hi Freds body is about 3 cm's long, black,he has big feelers in front and long legs,and doesn't make any webs.I actually saw him catch a bee on a curtain one day,that was scary.He stands still in the same place for days,but when he moves its Fast.

I always hated it when I would be out horse back riding and ride through a spider web with a big spider in it. I would be squealing and moving around all over the back of that horse. I moved out of the saddle and ended up sitting on his hips, sliding off his back end. Glad it didn't bother him and he came back for me.

Hi Freds body is about 3 cm's long, black,he has big feelers in front and long legs,and doesn't make any webs.I actually saw him catch a bee on a curtain one day,that was scary.He stands still in the same place for days,but when he moves its Fast.

Oh my...that is huge to me! Unless they are on my person, I don't mind spiders. I think they are fascinating. Please tell Fred I said hi! Lol

I always hated it when I would be out horse back riding and ride through a spider web with a big spider in it. I would be squealing and moving around all over the back of that horse. I moved out of the saddle and ended up sitting on his hips, sliding off his back end. Glad it didn't bother him and he came back for me.

Lol! Poor thing... I would not want to ride into a Web like that. Omg...what if it went into you're mouth!?

The photo is too rough.

Yet the legs look too short and robust for a cane spider. I am not familiar with Hawaii's indigeneous and introduced species of true spider.

It does resemble a wolf spider....

and a grass spider (Agelenopsis/Agelena but don't think this species has been introduced to the islands) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agelena http://en.wikipedia....ki/Grass_spider ...

or a fishing spider (Dolomedes, also don't believe this species has been introduced to the islands) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolomedes

Could be a cane spider? But the ONE thing I do know without a doubt is that that species you photographed is not dangerous but completely harmless.

Well thank goodness for that! And thanks for looking for me. I appreciate it.

All these spiders look like alien life to me lol

It's a girl! I'll call her Charlotte.

I can't tell about the eyes but I think pitchp is correct she looks like a common house spider...although not so common in my house since third it's the first I've seen.y

That doesn't look like any common spider I've ever seen ,but you're on Hawaii ? There's some fun species there.Check out the smiley face spider .

• Like 1

Hope its not a recluse...six years ago i was bitten by one while sleeping, and the scar left behind looks like a bullet wound. I used to be terrified of spiders, after this painful experience, not so much.

• Like 1

Not a Cane Spider. I used to live in Hawaii and have seen plenty of them. They have longer, thinner legs and are not as thick. I would have to guess its an average house spider.

That doesn't look like any common spider I've ever seen ,but you're on Hawaii ? There's some fun species there.Check out the smiley face spider .

I know right... yup Hawaii, I don't think we have the brown recluse but we have something called brown violin spider.

Hehe, how can anyone be afraid of the smiley face spider?

post-109094-0-97175900-1365478768_thumb.

Hope its not a recluse...six years ago i was bitten by one while sleeping, and the scar left behind looks like a bullet wound. I used to be terrified of spiders, after this painful experience, not so much.

I have a similar scar but not very big, it started off an itchy bump then it got a head and opened up and liked like a volcano crater that took awhile to heal.

But we supposedly don't have the recluse here in Hawaii.

Not a Cane Spider. I used to live in Hawaii and have seen plenty of them. They have longer, thinner legs and are not as thick. I would have to guess its an average house spider.

They are a lot bigger too! I'm really glad it wasn't one of those on me. I got trapped on the loo for half an hour once. It wouldn't move and I was scared to move and we just stared at each other for 30 minutes until my bf knocked on the door and scared the **** out of botlolh of us!

It is not a Brown Recluse and I am not completely sure whether or not Brown Recluses have been introduced to the Hawaiian islands as they are certainly not indigeneous. This species has both sexual diamorphism and not. Meaning there is an easily identifiable difference between the males and females in some species and other species not.

Here is a formula of sorts.

1: represents the fourth longest pair of legs

2: represents the third longest pair of legs

3: represents the second longest pair of legs

4: represents the longest pair of legs

Brown Recluse (Loxosceles reclusa) The major range of these spiders is southern and central Texas, north to Nebraska, and east to eastern Tennessee.

Sexual diamorphic: females 2413, males 2143 (this means on the females their second pair of legs are the longest, on the males the third pair of legs are the longest)

---

Chilean Recluse (Loxosceles laeta) The major range of these spiders is most of South America and parts of Central America. Some small introduced populations in the States namely Los Angeles. Possesses one of the more potent venoms.

4213 (both sexes)

---

Desert Recluse (Loxosceles deserta) Southern to Central California, southern Nevada, southern Utah, and western and southern Arizona. Found in abandoned mines, talus slopes, in dry washes, under debris, in rodent burrows, trash dumps, and deserted buildings.

2413 (both sexes)

---

Texas Recluse (Loxosceles devia) Southern parts of Texas into Mexico. Found outside under debris and stones, but will inhabit homes and other structures as well.

Sexual diamorphic: female 2413, male 2143

---

Arizona Recluse (Loxosceles arizonica) Central and southern Arizona, also near the southern California border and southern Nevada border.

Sexual diamorphic: female 4213, male 2413

---

Apache Recluse (Loxosceles apachea) Southeastern Arizona, southern New Mexico, and extreme western Texas.

---

Big Bend Recluse (Loxosceles blanda) Western Texas and southeastern New Mexico. Most specimens have been collected near caves.

---

Tuscon Recluse (Loxosceles sabina) Tuscon, Arizona predominately in Pima County.

female 2413 (males uncertain)

---

Russell Recluse (Loxosceles russelli) Death Valley, southern California. All specimens found exclusively in an abandoned mine shaft.

---

Baja Recluse (Loxosceles palma) Baja California. Oasis-like environments like desert palm canyons.

2413 (both sexes)

---

Martha Recluse (Loxosceles martha) Whitewater Canyon and Palm Springs California. Similar to L. palma.

4213 (both sexes)

---

Grand Canyon Recluse (Loxosceles kaiba) Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona. Cave species with all specimens collected from Thunder Cave near Monument Point.

Sexual diamorphic: female 2413, male 2143

---

Mediterreanean Recluse (Loxosceles rufescens) North Africa, southern Europe, and introduced into eastern and central portions of the States. Far less toxic than L. reclusa and L. laeta.

2413 (both sexes)

Edited by B Jenkins