Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Haunted places in Portland Oregon?

Munchkin

It's not as good as the Seattle Underground. Those tunnels go quite a ways and are still in some degree of use.

I can't say I've heard much about the Seattle Underground. I'll have to google that one. I really felt as if the Shanghai tunnels were basically just four or five basements cleared out to make it seem like tunnels. I could very well be wrong, it just wasn't the greatest experience. :(

I can't say I've heard much about the Seattle Underground. I'll have to google that one.

Although they aren't that spooky, the Seattle tunnels are long and you travel underground for several blocks. They were created when Seattle decided to raise the street level due to flooding and sewer problems. When finished this turned the second stories of buildings into street-level stories. During this transition which took years, the original ground levels stayed open below the raised streets (yes, it is as stupid as it sounds). Once the buildings had built their new ground levels even with the raised streets, they built new sidewalks between the street and building with brick arches leaving the old sidewalks below them. These "tunnels" under Seattle sidewalks are now retaining walls on one side holding the streets up, the original ground level of buildings on the other side, and a brick arch above you holding up the new sidewalk.

While walking around an abandoned city that was covered a hundred years ago sounds scary, it's not really. They're still being used for other things. There are modern gas pipes, phone lines, fiber optic lines, electrical conduits and other utilities in every direction. The tunnels became cheap accessible places for these new improvements.

Edited by scowl

• 4 months later...

Ive heard there are 2 different companys doing the ShanghiaTunnel tours here in Portland. One is sposed to be large grouped and lame, the othere put on by Portland Walking tours is sposed to be better of the two tours of the tunnels.

I moved to Langlois,Oregon a little over a year ago....Working in Coos Bay.

Before I moved here ( my family lives in Port Orfard , have for 25 years , they left me in Sparks ,Nevada to grow up on my own )I had seen a site , and I looked at it a lot...It was something like " Oregon x "....It had some pretty cool places to go check out , but for the life of me , I can not find it now...It was a paranormal site for the Oregon Coast....If I find it , I will post it....Come by for a world famous hot dog sometime :)

Oh , for you :

THIS IS WHAT JEFF FOXWORTHY HAS TO SAY ABOUT 'LIVING IN OREGON' . .

If someone in a Home Depot store offers you assistance and they don't work there, you live in Oregon.

If you've worn shorts, sandals and a parka at the same time, you live in Oregon.

If you've had a lengthy telephone conversation with someone who dialed the wrong number, you live in Oregon.

If you measure distance in hours, you live in Oregon.

If you know several people who have hit a deer more than once, you live in Oregon.

If you have switched from 'heat' to 'A/C' and back again in the same day, you live in Oregon.

If you install security lights on your house and garage but leave both doors unlocked, you live in Oregon.

If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in Central, Southern or Eastern Oregon.

If you design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a 2 layers of clothes or under a raincoat, you live in Oregon.

If driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow and ice, you live in Oregon.

If you know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter, and road construction, you live in Oregon.

If you feel guilty throwing aluminum cans or paper in the trash, you live in Oregon.

If you know more than 10 ways to order coffee, you live in Oregon.

If you know more people who own boats than air conditioners, you live in Oregon.

If you stand on a deserted corner in the rain waiting for the "Walk" signal, you live in Oregon.

If you consider that if it has no snow or has not recently erupted, it is not a real mountain, you live in Oregon.

If you can taste the difference between Starbucks, Seattle's Best, and Dutch Bros, you live in Oregon.

If you know the difference between Chinook, Coho and Sockeye salmon, you live in Oregon.

If you know how to pronounce Sequim, Puyallup, Clatskanie, Issaquah, Oregon, Umpqua, Yakima and Willamette, you live in Oregon.

If you consider swimming an indoor sport, you live in Oregon.

If you know that Boring is a city and not just a feeling, you live in Oregon.

If you can tell the difference between Japanese, Chinese and Thai food, you live in Oregon.

If you never go camping without waterproof matches and a poncho, you live in Oregon.

If you have actually used your mountain bike on a mountain, you live in Oregon.

If you think people who use umbrellas are either wimps or tourists, you live in Oregon.

If you buy new sunglasses every year, because you cannot find the old ones after such a long time, you live in Oregon.

That's funny because we say that about Washitonians.

I live very close to the Oregon/Washington border and have been looking for a reputable group that investigates the paranormal but have, to date ben unable to find anyone who is serious about investigations.

Ive heard there are 2 different companys doing the ShanghiaTunnel tours here in Portland. One is sposed to be large grouped and lame, the othere put on by Portland Walking tours is sposed to be better of the two tours of the tunnels.

Hi Kathy

I did a Haunted Portland walking tour a few years back and.... well.. it was lame. We were given "emf detectors" and walked around downtown in the hopes of finding a emf field. I got so bored I started checking out if the trees gave off an em field.

Good luck with your haunted hunts and let me know if you find anything good. :tu:

Not sure if this is the proper forum to post this in, but I just moved to Portland Oregon and I'm looking for some places thought to be haunted or experience paranormal activity that don't require taking a tour to do investigate. If anyone lives in this area, has lived here before, or know some history about PDX it'd be greatly appreciated if you could let me know. Portland has the most interesting, disturbing and sickening history in the Northwest because of slavery and shanghai'ing between the mid 1800's and right before WW II. I know there has to be some places here that experience unexplained phenomena. I've been doing some research online but the only thing listed are tours.

If I posted this in the wrong forum please just move it to the proper area! Thanks so much! thumbsup.gif

High five for hipster-Portland!