Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

No aliens

MR.Blueprint

Are you a religious man, by any chance??

"I am Who I am" -major

Here is a list of our nearest stars...... Getting there any time soon is out of the question, they might aswell be in another galaxy. http://www.visualnew...-nearest-stars/

Cool site.

I did not know that Alpha Centauri had a confirmed planet.

Looks like most of the galactic neighborhood will not be good for much. But those Green, Yellow and Orange stars have promise.

• Like 1

Prolly?...... Probably!..... anybody? :unsure2:

ya, srsly.

Cool site.

I did not know that Alpha Centauri had a confirmed planet.

Looks like most of the galactic neighborhood will not be good for much. But those Green, Yellow and Orange stars have promise.

I have to admit to being rather surprised myself. I had not idea it had been confirmed, as far as I know it has never been observed. It will be good news if confirmed.

I like the idea that, in the exact opposite to the theory? promoted by the O of this T, every planet might evolve some kind of intelligent life suited to its conditions; Dolphins and other cetaceans, obviously, on predominantly watery planets, creatures that live underground (or in the sand :unsure2: ) in desert planets, and my favourite speculative form of life, creatures like jellyfish that live in gas Giants. A form of life which I've also speculated before that migth perhaps account for more than a few UFO sightings here on earth.

I like the idea that, in the exact opposite to the theory? promoted by the O of this T, every planet might evolve some kind of intelligent life suited to its conditions; Dolphins and other cetaceans, obviously, on predominantly watery planets, creatures that live underground (or in the sand :unsure2: ) in desert planets, and my favourite speculative form of life, creatures like jellyfish that live in gas Giants. A form of life which I've also speculated before that migth perhaps account for more than a few UFO sightings here on earth.

Every form of life does not have a body shape that can manipulate the environment, mostly it works the other way around, making it difficult to find the time, or the ability, to kickstart an Industrial Revolution.

It appears that life is possible only under limited condituions, and the conditions needed to start life are even more limited. We should expect most planets, then, to be sterile, and this does seem to be what we see in our solar system.

• Like 1

Every form of life does not have a body shape that can manipulate the environment, mostly it works the other way around, making it difficult to find the time, or the ability, to kickstart an Industrial Revolution.

oh, I know, I'm not necessarily saying it might be a technological society; although it would be interesting to see how the Dolphins do it. :yes:

• Like 1

It appears that life is possible only under limited condituions, and the conditions needed to start life are even more limited. We should expect most planets, then, to be sterile, and this does seem to be what we see in our solar system.

How can you be so sure? The only one we've managed to study in close enough detail to be able to say anything with any reasonable certainty (i.e. we've actually got down and studied by driving about and probing about in the soil) is Mars. We assume that Mercurcy, Venus & the gas giants can be ruled out, but so far that is only an assumption. We've seen how Extremophiles, as I believe they're called, can adapt to some pretty unwelcoming conditions here on the Earth.

• Like 1

oh, I know, I'm not necessarily saying it might be a technological society; although it would be interesting to see how the Dolphins do it. :yes:

dolphin-inspecting-dat-ass.jpg

:unsure2:

• Like 1

How can you be so sure? The only one we've managed to study in close enough detail to be able to say anything with any reasonable certainty (i.e. we've actually got down and studied by driving about and probing about in the soil) is Mars. We assume that Mercurcy, Venus & the gas giants can be ruled out, but so far that is only an assumption. We've seen how Extremophiles, as I believe they're called, can adapt to some pretty unwelcoming conditions here on the Earth.

I said, "It appears" not "I am sure." I resent that sort of twisting of my words.If you think these planets are inhabited, go ahead and think it.

I have to admit to being rather surprised myself. I had not idea it had been confirmed, as far as I know it has never been observed. It will be good news if confirmed.

Well according to this article it's on the verge of being confirmed by two more teams. I'm thinking it won't take to long.

For a good explanation on how they do this, here's an article from the Badastronomy guy, rather well made.

• Like 1

I said, "It appears" not "I am sure." I resent that sort of twisting of my words.If you think these planets are inhabited, go ahead and think it.

I don't think it, it's just an idea that's interesting to speculate. I never said that you were sure, either.

Dolphins have quite some time on their hands, I agree it would be interesting to see that even if they never reach a technological age, could they attain a form of open communication? Like to a point whereby they try to converse with other species? I am not sure I would rule such out altogether, and might something to consider. It might be pie in the sky too, but hey.

• Like 1

They did have a good head start here though to be fair. I have to agree with Frank, what we are seeing so far is pretty scarce, and as scowl has rightly pointed out, the odds are not as high as often made out. A planet does not automatically mean life,

Interesting news; its too bad Kepler is so limited in the range of sky it observes. We need thousands of Keplers out there to do a proper survey, and I doubt there is budget for that. The "wobble" method of finding planets is only going to find a few around very near stars that are very close to their suns.

Interesting news; its too bad Kepler is so limited in the range of sky it observes. We need thousands of Keplers out there to do a proper survey, and I doubt there is budget for that. The "wobble" method of finding planets is only going to find a few around very near stars that are very close to their suns.

• Like 1

Dolphins have quite some time on their hands, I agree it would be interesting to see that even if they never reach a technological age, could they attain a form of open communication? Like to a point whereby they try to converse with other species? I am not sure I would rule such out altogether, and might something to consider. It might be pie in the sky too, but hey.

As a species dolphins have been on earth much longer than we have, and show no sign of technology, not even some equivalent of stone-age techology, so, smart as they are, this sort of development does not seem likely. Maybe they will evolve in spiritual or philosophical or artistic ways we cannot imagine, or maybe what we see is all we are gonna get

• Like 1

Congratulations on getting Skeptics and believers on the same side though, that's some achievement. lol

i think fungi is only an earth thing

What?!

Fungi is the only thing on the planet that is considered "different" to all other living things. It can survive in space.....

So where exactly did you come to that conclusion?

everything on this planet is unique to this planet.

everything in the solar system is unique to this solar system

Our planet is part of this solar system. So what you said doesn't make sense. lol

Edited by Coffey

Yet even so, we already have almost 3,000 candidates. Boggles the mind.

As a species dolphins have been on earth much longer than we have, and show no sign of technology, not even some equivalent of stone-age techology, so, smart as they are, this sort of development does not seem likely. Maybe they will evolve in spiritual or philosophical or artistic ways we cannot imagine, or maybe what we see is all we are gonna get

I would not consider something so grandiose as technology, more something along the lines of developing a structured cross species communication and or relationship, perhaps brought on by needs such as hunting. Even such, seems rather hopeful I admit.

Link - Clever Dolphins Use Shells to Catch Fish

• Like 1

yup

little do they kno im basing my theory off new findings and thats why it sounds foreign to them because they still relying on oldstudies

its 2013

the keplar mission is re writing all our early theories bout the universe

catch up

yup

little do they kno im basing my theory off new findings and thats why it sounds foreign to them because they still relying on oldstudies

its 2013

the keplar mission is re writing all our early theories bout the universe

catch up

Catch up with what?