Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nth Korea cuts Military Hotline to Sth Korea

libstaK

Thanks AX. In light of Korematsu, in our nation of immigrants, not a bad idea to honor non-Europeans.

"It may be that restarting the reactor without getting more sanctions imposed was their objective; this they succeeded in doing." FM

I don't know all the details. But North Korea has demonstrated itself to be exceedingly difficult to negotiate with.

And once hard-won agreements are made, NK often breaks them.

I gather that's the case with the nuclear facility at issue here. NK wants what it can get from such "negotiations", and after it gets what it wants, it no longer feels obligated to keep its end of the bargain.

It's controversial.

But I suspect dropping a daisy cutter on the re-opened nuclear facility might wake up the KJU regime. It's about time he woke up and smelled the cappuccino.

• Like 1

This is just a weird movement out of Pearl Harbor and since when do we name our ships after "Chinese" names. Ive never heard a ship called anything but an American name before. I dont know if this is a radar or what but its the strangest weapon platform Ive ever seen.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XQFHN7h8Ia4[/media]

Of course, everything has to be HAARP these days, doesn't it, it couldn't just be, like, a radar platfrom or anything, could it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea-based_X-band_Radar

Regarding the USS Chung-Hoon,

USS Chung-Hoon (DDG-93) is an Arleigh Burke-class Aegis destroyer serving in the United States Navy. Chung-Hoon was named in honor of Rear Admiral Gordon Pai'ea Chung-Hoon (1910–1979), recipient of the Navy Cross and the Silver Star.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh
  • Like 1

AX,

The U.S. Navy has naming conventions. Here's the URL: http://www.history.n...aqs/faq63-1.htm

The newly completed U.S.S. New York was made in part from scrap steel from the World Trade Center wreckage.

How they end up naming an aircraft carrier "U.S.S. Enterprise" I don't know.

Well, there've been quite a few, take your pick... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Enterprise

That's fine CR.

But instead of answering the question, it merely expands it. From post #123:

"those of the first class shall be called after the States of this Union; those of the second class after the rivers; and those of the third class after the principal cities and towns"

This is just a partial list from your linked source:

Sloop-of-war class

Schooner-class

Brig-class

Barque-rigged Screw Sloop-class

Motorboat Patrol boat-class

Yorktown-class

So what is the naming convention that allows this same name to be applied to such a wide variety of vessels?

Of course, everything has to be HAARP these days, doesn't it, it couldn't just be, like, a radar platfrom or anything, could it...

I wasnt refering to it as a HAARP weapon but it is the damn strangest weapon/radar platform Ive ever seen that was ocean going. That was my point.

That's fine CR.

But instead of answering the question, it merely expands it. From post #123:

"those of the first class shall be called after the States of this Union; those of the second class after the rivers; and those of the third class after the principal cities and towns"

This is just a partial list from your linked source:

So what is the naming convention that allows this same name to be applied to such a wide variety of vessels?

Aircraft carriers (until the Nimitz class, which were named after famous people) were traditionally given names of famous or historic warships, that's all, or, like the Lexington and Yorktown, after famous sites fromt he Civil or Revolutionary Wars. it's a very old tradition in all navies to re-use the names of famous vessels. Look how many Ark Royals there've been in the RN. They only really started to have a theme for them with the Nimitzes.

"it's a very old tradition in all navies to re-use the names of famous vessels." CR

There's quite a bit of superstition in such matters.

I confess, I under-appreciate the apparent lack of creativity / imagination; and the implied paucity of U.S. naval heroes.

I think retiring a name when the vessel is retired isn't such a bad idea.

I understand: tradition to the contrary.

The Chinese could be talked round to accept a unified Korean peninsular,if Seoul and the US were prepared to give the Chinese favourable Concessions.US military forces could be greatly reduced and keeping the peninsular Nuke Free.

Let's face it if the Chinese cut young Kimmy off,North Korea would Collapse and I think the refugee problem it would create could be managed and it would be a small price to pay.

• Like 1

It is a sober approach, but I doubt the Chinese want to see a US ally so close without a buffer state. Some sort of generational arrangement -- a hundred years or so -- while North Korea remained independent under a purged Communist Party would probably work better, and allow time to get North Korea on its feet.

Of course the real problem is that any such Chinese/US/Russian/Japan/S. Korea (they would all have to be part of it) would probably set off just the sort of insane things the world would like to avoid. It would require very adroit military handling.

Not at all, AH didn't go after Britian until Churchill antogonised him. Before that he only went after France who he had a vendetta against because of WW1 and then went for Stalin, he would never have went for Stalin if he knew Britian was going to go for him. He was far too intelligent for that. He would have kept his false allied state with stalin until he had wiped out Britian etc first. That proves that nto antogonising him actually gave us a very big advanatage. It made him shift most of his force East to Russia where they suffered from terrain and habitat.

Not compeltely true and France certianly did not do nothing. They fought pretty damn hard. They had bad leadership during battle which was their downfall.

As for Germany going on a rampage, that worked out in our favour, as they rampaged East.

I agree that Hitler's ambitions to the east helped the US and Britain immensely. I wonder how long it would have been before Stalin did the same thing even if AH had kept their treaty though. Anyway, the object lesson I took from it all is there's no honor among thieves and appeasement just doesn't work. Bullies will never stop until forced to stop IMO.
  • Like 1

The reality is there is little honor among nations and they can all find legal or rhetorical excuses for almost anything and there is no court with standing.

I agree that Hitler's ambitions to the east helped the US and Britain immensely. I wonder how long it would have been before Stalin did the same thing even if AH had kept their treaty though. Anyway, the object lesson I took from it all is there's no honor among thieves and appeasement just doesn't work. Bullies will never stop until forced to stop IMO.

I'm not sure to be honest, Stalin was told months before that Hitler was planning it and he never even believed his spies. Seems he actually valued their alliance. Even though Hitler believed they where sub human as well. He got a shock from them though. lol

Thing with bullies is that it's not always what it appears. A bully usually has someone else bullying them as well or have something causing them to lash out.

Stalin? Stalin never had any ambition to invade anyone, least of all France and Britain. That was why he was so willing to believe Hitler & Ribbentrop.

* well, ok, except perhaps Finland. And Lithuania, Latvia & Estonia. But that was all. :unsure2: In any case the reason he annexed them (the latter three, anyway) was because he wanted to build a buffer between himself & potential aggressors, e.g. Germany. And the UK actually seriously considered taking up Arms against Russia in solidarity with the plucky Finns. Which would have been really confusing once hitler invaded Russia, & Finaland then found itself an ally of Germany. But we seem to be diversifying again. :unsure2:

Well North Korea has told all foreigners they should leave South Korea for their own protection. Naturally everyone is ignoring them.

As for unification I'm sure the South likes the idea but they're not going to accept it until there are some major overhauls in the North. Unification would completely destroy the Korean economy.

China closed its border to tourists or the other way around. The China/ North Korea border is shut.

* well, ok, except perhaps Finland. And Lithuania, Latvia & Estonia. But that was all. :unsure2: In any case the reason he annexed them (the latter three, anyway) was because he wanted to build a buffer between himself & potential aggressors, e.g. Germany. And the UK actually seriously considered taking up Arms against Russia in solidarity with the plucky Finns. Which would have been really confusing once hitler invaded Russia, & Finaland then found itself an ally of Germany. But we seem to be diversifying again. :unsure2:

You may be correct, but he sure took advantage of the situation once the die were cast against him :w00t:

Well North Korea has told all foreigners they should leave South Korea for their own protection. Naturally everyone is ignoring them.

As for unification I'm sure the South likes the idea but they're not going to accept it until there are some major overhauls in the North. Unification would completely destroy the Korean economy.

I thought the same thing might happen to Germany. The Koreans might make a go of it in a few years just as Germany did BUT, China isn't going to easily allow a strong, western style democracy that is well armed to sit on their border. That's why I blame the Chinese more than the Norks on this whole mess. They've been using NK for years as a "bad dog" in the region - they need to feed their dog and make it stop barking.

If this happens it's bad, not because of a nuke strike, I would expect an NK nuke to end up in the sea or land back on themselves like a looney toons cartoon. I'm worried about China and Russia. There is now way China will allow

So the media says.

I wouldn't listen to anything they say when the Federal reserve set up the South Korean central bank.

They don't own the North Korean central bank.....

Also Sanctions make a country poor. Look at Iran. My friend is Persian and he lives in the Netherlands now as he is studying there and he is in serious money trouble as his dad can't even send him money for Uni because of the sanctions on top of that the Iranian money is worthless outside Iran also because of the sanctions. So of course NK's economy is bad. lol

Why does nobody realise that sanctions is a declaration of war?!

China closed its border to tourists or the other way around. The China/ North Korea border is shut.

If that's true then North Korea has just basically shut down their economy. Given how dependent NK is on China I doubt the border will be closed for long.

I thought the same thing might happen to Germany. The Koreans might make a go of it in a few years just as Germany did BUT, China isn't going to easily allow a strong, western style democracy that is well armed to sit on their border. That's why I blame the Chinese more than the Norks on this whole mess. They've been using NK for years as a "bad dog" in the region - they need to feed their dog and make it stop barking.

Well it would have some benefit for China. They do a lot of business with SK, they wouldn't need to worry about staring North Koreans slipping across the border, and it would take away America's reason for having troops in Korea. I'm sure they'd much rather have a buffer state but given how out of control NK is they might be reconsidering things. Also compared to NK East Germany was an economic powerhouse. A unified Korea would be much worst off than Germany was.

So the media says.

I wouldn't listen to anything they say when the Federal reserve set up the South Korean central bank.

Also Sanctions make a country poor. Look at Iran. My friend is Persian and he lives in the Netherlands now as he is studying there and he is in serious money trouble as his dad can't even send him money for Uni because of the sanctions on top of that the Iranian money is worthless outside Iran also because of the sanctions. So of course NK's economy is bad. lol

Why does nobody realise that sanctions is a declaration of war?!

North Korea barely has a bank. They need to use a barter system in their trade with China. And as much as you want to blame the US for everything the facts say otherwise. Try and look past your bias and paranoia and actually look into the history of the Korean situation. The only one that is to blame for the situation in North Korea, is North Korea. They could have had normal relations with the world. They could have had a better economy. South Korea tried in the 90's to repair relations with the North. Their current President wants to improve relations. They help run a factory that injects millions into the NK economy. The US, you know the guys who you claim are to blame for people starving, send thousands of tons of food in an effort to help NK fight their famines. However North Korea decided that they didn't want peace. They broke off relations with South Korea. They insulted their new president. They shut down the factory that was helping them. They have repeatedly threatened to target civilian populations and are trying to get nuclear weapons. They are the ones who want to unite Korea through force.

If North Korea would just back off on their quest for nukes they would be in far better shape. But their leaders don't want that because it would threaten their hold over their population. It would threaten their personal power. Everything that you are afraid of Western governments doing to their people, North Korea is currently doing to their own population. All the underhanded foreign policies you claim the West is undertaking, North Korea is quite openly expressing a desire to do. And you're taking their side! The most oppressive and outright evil government in the world and you're defending them.

The mind boggles.

Edited by Corp

And as much as you want to blame the US for everything the facts say otherwise. Try and look past your bias and paranoia

What a stupid comment.

I don't blme the US for everything at all, I just know the US government aren't always the "good guys" like Iraq which is proven

I'm neither biased or paranoid. If I was biased i wouldn't dislike NK obviously.

Paranoid? lol Yeah this is paranoia:

It's called fact.

The SK central bank was set up by the federal reserve... another fact.

In this situation, discussions raged across the country on establishing a central bank for the Republic of Korea and Dr. A. I. Bloomfield, dispatched from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, drafted the Bank of Korea Act.

Based on this draft, the Bank of Korea Act was passed in May 1950 and the Bank launched its operations as a central bank on June 12, 1950. It was given a wide range of functions in relation to monetary & financial policy, bank supervision, and foreign exchange policy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_of_Korea

:whistle:

So the media says.

And a fine job they've made of the economy without it.

Also Sanctions make a country poor.

Having a paranoid, fanatical and hopelessly inept Government doesn't help.

Look at Iran.

Exactly.

Unless you really do believe that they'd both be prosperous, thriving democracies if it wasn't for the nasty US Sanctions?

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh
  • Like 1

What a stupid comment.

I don't blme the US for everything at all, I just know the US government aren't always the "good guys" like Iraq which is proven

I'm neither biased or paranoid. If I was biased i wouldn't dislike NK obviously.

Paranoid? lol Yeah this is paranoia:

[media=]

[/media]

It's called fact.

The SK central bank was set up by the federal reserve... another fact.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Bank_of_Korea

:whistle:

Which doesn't have a damn thing to do with the current situation. Just because the Fed help set up the Bank of South Korea doesn't mean there's some wild plot to take over banks in North Korea. Again the fact is that North Korea has driven their own country into the ground and they are the ones throwing around threats and are causing this latest crisis. Full stop. Anything else is nothing more than conspiracy theories.

And of course the US aren't always the good guys, but to side with North Korea shows a disconnection from reality.Castro, who has every reason to hate the US, is blaming North Korea for causing so much trouble. If he can see the reality of the situation why can't you?

Which doesn't have a damn thing to do with the current situation. Just because the Fed help set up the Bank of South Korea doesn't mean there's some wild plot to take over banks in North Korea. Again the fact is that North Korea has driven their own country into the ground and they are the ones throwing around threats and are causing this latest crisis. Full stop. Anything else is nothing more than conspiracy theories.

And of course the US aren't always the good guys, but to side with North Korea shows a disconnection from reality.Castro, who has every reason to hate the US, is blaming North Korea for causing so much trouble. If he can see the reality of the situation why can't you?

I never once sided with NK.... lol

My post was nothing to do with NK, it was proving to you that it's not a conspiracy theory about bankers it's a fact.

North Korea would be much more violent if there was no sanctions

I disagree completely.

Sanctions are a declaration of war. They always have been.

Edited by Coffey