Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why is the bible not to be questioned?

SpiritWriter

Religions like people to be childlike.

Religions like people to be childlike.

Words have two meanings , but yeah , I get what you mean of the one meaning . Only Jesus (to me) wasn't religious , he was spiritual . .

Words have two meanings , but yeah , I get what you mean of the one meaning . Only Jesus (to me) wasn't religious , he was spiritual . .

The world "childlike" is very different from "childish." I did not say "childish."

The world "childlike" is very different from "childish." I did not say "childish."

Yes, I see that. I know you didn't say childish . Childlike can have two meaning too, at least I think so . Like , for example , have you ever tried to talk with an old timer about astrotheolgy ,? they seem to be childlike in only what they know of which is the bible , yet , their faith is a different form of childlike in meaning of words .

I am not Christian, but as far as I can see the bible IS being questioned. In fact, questioning the bible was what the whole period of enlightenment in the West was about. The biblical beliefs where thoroughly grilled and questioned, as a result we have the benevolent and harmless Christianity of today, which believes in irrational tales but does not try to impose old-testamentarial laws on us.

The major world religion that does that, and that does not allow any kind of critical inquiry is islam. So I humbly suggest you are really barking up the wrong tree with your question.

In truth my question was geared to those who think that it shouldnt be questioned. The bible being authority is a common thought and practice within Christianity. No christian church can rightfully be "Christian" if it doesn't teach from it, and from what ive experienced, they also teach it as final authority... I am well aware it IS being questioned by other people.