Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gun Control Will not work!

Mentalcase

Wish there was a way everyone could dislike your comments on here. Then you would know where you stand.

Unfortunately that would turn into cyber bullying but I agree that would be a great way to make a statement against absurdity.

But, if the criminals can still get guns, why cant the "honest law abiding citizen" then get a gun if it come to resisting tyranny? That's what I'm getting at.

Uh... Isn't that excactly what I wrote? Those law abiding citizens when it comes to tyranny are Obliged to not follow the law and locate and obtain guns to resist said tyranny.

Even if it means dealing with.... Canada.

For many of us, this is what we are expecting to see from those that have been sold a bill of goods in believing that this legislation will prevent it.

We already have laws on the books covering this.

Gun control will not prevent this group from getting firearms. Only the really stupid will be prevented. Do you really think that criminals buy their guns? If they buy guns then why should they steal cars?

Actually, Gun Control *IS* about denying our 2nd Amendment Rights. This latest legislation will allow doctors to make arbitrary, subjective decisions on the mental state of individuals that will prevent them from ever owning a gun. We all have stress in our lives. We all have personal tragedies that we live through. For 99%, all we need to do is talk it out (usually with a doctor). Only that 1% snap. But under this legislation, if you go through a divorce and relay your feeling to a doctor that you “just want to end it all”, he’ll be required to report. Again, most of us that have gone through a divorce have felt this way but we get over it and move on but once you are on a government list as being mentally defective, you’ll never be allowed to own a gun unless you steal it or acquire it by other means.

This is either a disconnect between the people and the ruling elite or it is a deliberate master plan to gut the 2nd Amendment.

Nothing can completely prevent such events but at the very least there should be an effort curb them and gun control obviously shouldn't be the be all and end all solution but should be just one part of a multi-faceted solution.

If you say criminals can illegally acquire guns then in the event the populous needs guns to "protect themselves from a tyrannous Government" it won't be hard for them to get their hands on them.

As previously stated gun control isn't about banning all guns it's about checks and balances. The average person does not need auto/semi-auto guns, if there is a need eg. the person is target shooter then surely they should be required to be a registered member of a gun club and and partake in a set amount of competitions per year as well as having the weapons stored in an approved safes etc.

I legally own guns and enjoy shooting but I feel there is no need for machine/assault guns.

It is the paranoid conspiracy mentality sweeping the US (throwback the the cold war era) that is clouding many peoples judgements.

532234_137205866463730_1424346478_n.jpg

Banning ARs will never solve a damn thing.

It may not solve the problem but it will go a long way towards preventing massacres on such large scale.

BTW anyone can pull statistics out of their ass to provide evidence for their hypothesis .

It is the paranoid conspiracy mentality sweeping the US (throwback the the cold war era) that is clouding many peoples judgements.

No, it's our ability to understand history. I don't want to join a gun club or partake in competitions. At that point it ceases to be a right and becomes a privilege. Maybe I want to shoot targets in my own back yard. Why the hell should I not be allowed if I have the land to do so? I live in near the city and completely understand why I can't and shouldn't do that. All my bullets would end up in my neighbors house. With great rights come great responsibilities and rights are only to be lost when you treat them irresponsibly. A fraction of a fraction of guns are used irresponsibly. Why should a million people have to lose their rights do to the actions of a hundred?

It may not solve the problem but it will go a long way towards preventing massacres on such large scale.

BTW anyone can pull statistics out of their ass to provide evidence for their hypothesis .

Then begin pulling.

How is an AR-15 a machine gun by the way?

100% of gun deaths are caused by guns.

You're right, let's ban alcohol because all drunk driving deaths are caused by drunk drivers. Also lets ban all sharp edges because that's what 100% of stabbings are caused from.

• Like 1

I never said it was.

Then tell me what "machine guns" we are buying that you think should be banned.

You're right, let's ban alcohol because all drunk driving deaths are caused by drunk drivers. Also lets ban all sharp edges because that's what 100% of stabbings are caused from.

There are laws regarding who can sell alcohol and who they can sell it to. There are also laws regarding the carrying of knives.

100% of gun deaths are caused by guns.

100% of car accidents are caused by cars. Lets ban em or compete in NASCAR if you want to drive them.

100% of homicides cause death. Lets ban homicides. That's worked so far.

The missing link in stats like yours is that 100% of them were controlled by people. Lets ban people. Lets ban breaking the law. Lets add more laws to break hoping that no one will break them. C'mon. You have to have something better than that.

• Like 2

And there are umpteen laws concerning the carrying, possession and use of guns. You're struggling.

Any fully auto gun.

Why? They never used in your average nightly news shooting and if they were they were illegal guns anyways and they haven't been used in any massacres that I recall either.

Wish there was a way everyone could dislike your comments on here. Then you would know where you stand.

Unlike you perhaps, my self worth isn't tied to how many likes or dislikes my comments get.

Uh... Isn't that excactly what I wrote? Those law abiding citizens when it comes to tyranny are Obliged to not follow the law and locate and obtain guns to resist said tyranny.

Even if it means dealing with.... Canada.

I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was just stating that it's not logical to use the two arguments together. Its illogical to say "gun control wont work because people will still be able to obtain guns, although illegally" and then say "if gun control is enacted, I wont be able to fight a tyrant government because I wont be able to get guns".

I don't understand why people like Crysis and Mr_Fess are having such a hard time with my post. Is it not logically sound? Where's the logical inconsistency of what I'm saying? Or are they simply opposed to my post because it doesn't contain a criticism of gun control?

100% of car accidents are caused by cars. Lets ban em or compete in NASCAR if you want to drive them.

100% of homicides cause death. Lets ban homicides. That's worked so far.

The missing link in stats like yours is that 100% of them were controlled by people. Lets ban people. Lets ban breaking the law. Lets add more laws to break hoping that no one will break them. C'mon. You have to have something better than that.

And there are umpteen laws concerning the carrying, possession and use of guns. You're struggling.

Again there are laws regarding the use of cars.

As for proof that gun control can work look at Australia and the laws resulting from the Port Arthur Massacre and the result it had on gun related violence.

354 victims in 1996, but only 260 victims in 2010, a decrease of 27 percent

The proportion of homicide victims killed by offenders using firearms in 2009–10 represented a decrease of 18 percentage points from the peak of 31 percent in 1995–96

Firearm suicides have fallen from about 22% of all suicides in 1992 to 7% of all suicides in 2005

Unlike you perhaps, my self worth isn't tied to how many likes or dislikes my comments get.

I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was just stating that it's not logical to use the two arguments together. Its illogical to say "gun control wont work because people will still be able to obtain guns, although illegally" and then say "if gun control is enacted, I wont be able to fight a tyrant government because I wont be able to get guns".

I don't understand why people like Crysis and Mr_Fess are having such a hard time with my post. Is it not logically sound? Where's the logical inconsistency of what I'm saying? Or are they simply opposed to my post because it doesn't contain a criticism of gun control?

Because, in that particular extreme scenario we don't want to have to go scrambling about looking for the local gun king pin hoping to barter what little left we have for a weapon. Outside of that scenario, we don't want to have to go looking for seedy underground gun dealers and becoming criminals in the process. You claim to own guns. I trust you to be responsible with yours. Why can't you relay that trust towards us?

Again there are laws regarding the use of cars.

As for proof that gun control can work look at Australia and the laws resulting from the Port Arthur Massacre and the result it had on gun related violence.

354 victims in 1996, but only 260 victims in 2010, a decrease of 27 percent

The proportion of homicide victims killed by offenders using firearms in 2009–10 represented a decrease of 18 percentage points from the peak of 31 percent in 1995–96

Firearm suicides have fallen from about 22% of all suicides in 1992 to 7% of all suicides in 2005

Again, there are tons of laws concerning guns. There are many for cars too but that doesn't stop accidents, deaths and plain old irresponsibility.

I can't get into Australian statistic ATM but I can say they are a country nearly the size of the USA with the population of only one of our cities, New York, spread across the vast landscape. And for the record, our crime rates have dropped nearly 50% in the last 25 years.

You know what I've never seen? A gun fired in public, let alone someone shot or killed.

You know what I have seen? At least a hundred car accidents in my life.

Again, there are tons of laws concerning guns. There are many for cars too but that doesn't stop accidents, deaths and plain old irresponsibility.

I can't get into Australian statistic ATM but I can say they are a country nearly the size of the USA with the population of only one of our cities, New York, spread across the vast landscape. And for the record, our crime rates have dropped nearly 50% in the last 25 years.

That is my point, I am not advocating gun eradication but gun control. There will always be accidents, deaths and stupidity but gun control is about minimising these.

Around 80-85% of the Australian population is located in urban areas, most of Australia in uninhabited.

To get a better perspective of gun related incidents we should be looking at gun deaths per capita:

Australia - 1.05 deaths per 100,000

USA - 10.20 deaths per 100,000

So the USA has roughly 10x the amount of gun related incidents compared with Aust.

Is it easier to kill with a gun or a knife or a bat. Hmm how many soldiers are armed with bats or knives. That argument is old and stupid.

Edited by The Silver Thong

Because, in that particular extreme scenario we don't want to have to go scrambling about looking for the local gun king pin hoping to barter what little left we have for a weapon.

So its not that you wont have access to guns if you decide you have to fight in a revolution... its about wanting them cheap. That means that the argument shouldn't be "We wont have guns to fight a tyrant government", but rather it'll be "Guns would be too troublesome and expensive to obtain to fight a tyrant government". Are we in agreement?

Outside of that scenario, we don't want to have to go looking for seedy underground gun dealers and becoming criminals in the process. You claim to own guns. I trust you to be responsible with yours. Why can't you relay that trust towards us?

I fully relay that trust towards those who are sensible and responsible with firearms. I'm not for banning any type of weapon --- I'm for meaningful gun control which would actually help the situation.

Just don't be shocked or go looking for condolences when​ the next massacre occurs. Fair enough you want to be able to own a gun, but there should be checks and balances on people owning them. Convicted violent criminals, mentally unstable and other people deemed a risk to themselves and/or others should be restricted from owning them. Gun control is not about denying everyone's access to all guns it's about limiting the access to guns for people deemed unfit to own them.

When the next massacre occurs, I can assure you it shall not be committed through a law-abiding citizen, and that's a promise. It isn't we "want" to own a gun, it is our god-given right to do so, whether an immigrant begs to differ or not. Your opinion hasn't the slightest weight as to what happens here, nor do you possess the ability to decide what will, Watoom. People unfit to carry a firearm are denied via background checks, but sadly, many are beyond gifted upon cloaking such illnesses.

Please don't be offended by my words, I am just a firm believer of the right to conceal a firearm.