Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Marriage Equality' Includes Polygamy'

tapirmusic

Ah so by that logic, pedos will have their time eventually no?

(Don't be spooked by all the pedo talk - it's all for the sake of the discussion!)

It has been addressed numerous times here - CONSENT !!!!!

Br Cornelius

It has been addressed numerous times here - CONSENT !!!!!

Br Cornelius

Minors are obviously capable of giving consent: they understand the concept of "yes" and "no". It's whether or not we as society deem them capable of fully understanding the situation in which they are required to give that consent that will render their consent to be legally acceptable.

Edited by Dark_Grey

Minors are obviously capable of giving consent: they understand the concept of "yes" and "no". It's whether or not we as society deem them capable of fully understanding the situation in which they are required to give that consent that will render their consent to be legally acceptable.

A parrot can be trained to say yes and no. That does not mean it knows what the words actually mean.

• Like 1

I think you are on very shaky ground there.

It is possible to manipulate an adult into consenting to something that is against their interests, but it is far easier to do the same to a minor. The law recognizes that and acts to make the burden fall on the adult rather than the child.

Br Cornelius

Well I for one do not like to share some things and I think a husband with another woman would be one of them. Look how many problems it causes when cheating happens. A marriage should be between two people and two people only.

Well I for one do not like to share some things and I think a husband with another woman would be one of them. Look how many problems it causes when cheating happens. A marriage should be between two people and two people only.

Well the problem that comes from cheating is it's going behind someone's back which would of course hurt, but this would be sharing with all sides knowing so no one would get hurt by it. Of course it wouldn't be everyone though.

Well the problem that comes from cheating is it's going behind someone's back which would of course hurt, but this would be sharing with all sides knowing so no one would get hurt by it. Of course it wouldn't be everyone though.

Correct. There was a time (maybe the 70s) when "open" marriage were a fad. Some people liked them, some (probably most) didn't. Different strokes for different folks. As for me, I found that one wife was one too many, but that is just me.

• Like 1

Correct. There was a time (maybe the 70s) when "open" marriage were a fad. Some people liked them, some (probably most) didn't. Different strokes for different folks. As for me, I found that one wife was one too many, but that is just me.

:w00t:

Br Cornelius

I think you are on very shaky ground there.

It is possible to manipulate an adult into consenting to something that is against their interests, but it is far easier to do the same to a minor. The law recognizes that and acts to make the burden fall on the adult rather than the child.

Br Cornelius

Agreed - very well stated, BC

• Like 1

Inside the group, it’s not cheating. The way you started out, I was thinking you were referring to cheating with someone outside of the group. In which case you would be cheating on the group and not just one person.

- so how/where do we place immovable boundries?

At informed consent. It's that simple.

Edited by Odin11
  • Like 1

Well you could argue that pedophilia has already been considered legal. In the distant past the ages of consent was lower and so what would be termed pedophilia today wasn't as frowned upon as it is now.

Quite so, which would indicate that society is actually moving toward more constrictions in this area.

It should also be noted that the concept of adolescence is modern. In fact, it is an artificially constructed developmental stage - created by psychologists with nothing better to do during the early 20th century. There are psychologists even today arguing against the existence of "adolescence."

Not that long ago, it wasn't unusual for 12 year olds to be making adult decisions. It was expected of them, truth be told.

Can we not see this argument being made in the future, once everything else is freed up and you can marry your livestock?

Harte

"What is it with you people and the animal ****ing?! I don't understand how your minds always go there. 'Well then they'll just remove the laws for ******* animals.' Like, is that the only thing that's been holding you back? ‘Oh, wow, look at that goat, if only I wouldn’t get in trouble.’”" - John Stewart

• Like 3

Quite so, which would indicate that society is actually moving toward more constrictions in this area.

It should also be noted that the concept of adolescence is modern. In fact, it is an artificially constructed developmental stage - created by psychologists with nothing better to do during the early 20th century. There are psychologists even today arguing against the existence of "adolescence."

Not that long ago, it wasn't unusual for 12 year olds to be making adult decisions. It was expected of them, truth be told.

Can we not see this argument being made in the future, once everything else is freed up and you can marry your livestock?

Harte

I hardly see a cow or sheep offering informed consent to that arrangement.

What can be said with certainty is that the 20th century represents progress from the good old days when children were effectively sold into marriage.

Br Cornelius

I think that if a man/woman wants to marry more than one woman/man then they should be able to do it. As long as a man can support himself and his partners then they should be allowed to marry as many people as they want.

I hardly see a cow or sheep offering informed consent to that arrangement.

Do you know John Prine?

Check the lyrics to "Pretty Good."

Sometimes it's the human that doesn't consent! LOL

What can be said with certainty is that the 20th century represents progress from the good old days when children were effectively sold into marriage.

Br Cornelius

Hard to make that value judgement. Marriage isn't what most people think it is, before they do it. It's not what many think it is even after they do it.

The former process was in place for thousands of years, still is in a lot of areas.

Maybe the modern way is better for individuals. I don't think anyone can say whether or not today's process is better for society in general.

Harte

Polygamy is legitimately marriage as much as homosexual relations are marriage. I.e not at all unless you changes its definition.

And dont give me thar **** about inter racial couples. That was one country out of a whole world of marriage.

Calling something marriage when it is clearly not will not make things "normal". Homosexunal relationships are normal. Homosexual marriage is, by no definition of the word, "normal"

Edited by Professor Buzzkill

Polygamy is legitimately marriage as much as homosexual relations are marriage. I.e not at all unless you changes its definition.

And dont give me thar **** about inter racial couples. That was one country out of a whole world of marriage.

Calling something marriage when it is clearly not will not make things "normal". Homosexunal relationships are normal. Homosexual marriage is, by no definition of the word, "normal"

Since we as humans are in an ongoing process of defining what is normal - your position is a stand for absolutes in a relativistic world. The world has and will continue to move forward and leave the absolutist behind. No amount of standing on the beach shouting at the tide will change the fact that things change.

Nothing is absolute, and that's doubly so for normality.

If you let the reality of change distress you, then you will always be in a state of anxiety. The reality of been a conservative must be agony.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

"What is it with you people and the animal ****ing?! I don't understand how your minds always go there. 'Well then they'll just remove the laws for ******* animals.' Like, is that the only thing that's been holding you back? ‘Oh, wow, look at that goat, if only I wouldn’t get in trouble.’”" - John Stewart

:w00t: That's funny...

Harte

Sorry I'm tired and post-call. Are you being sarcastic here?

Polygamist insurance should come with free mental health insurance and emergency button with 90 second response time.

My assumption and please sue me, is that the women will be from abused backgrounds, the men will be narcissistic control freaks and their will be rampent fighting/poisoning/psychotic mind games all across the board, in most cases.

For the pure free loving people in the universe... well arent you so beautiful...

Dont let anybody stop you from doing what you feel in your heart is right.

Unfortunately polygamy often involves cults, rape, and brainwashing. Not to mention ripping off the government. So I can't say I'm in favor of it.

http://en.wikipedia....tter-Day_Saints

Right, like the cult these guys were all part of:

http://www.rickbeckman.org/men-of-the-bible-with-multiple-wives/

Sorry I'm tired and post-call. Are you being sarcastic here?

Only about halfway.

There are cutures today where parents m********e their children to stop their crying.

Harte