Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia to help Egypt with Nuclear Program

and-then

I guess the Russians feel a bit left out in the Middle East,the U.S.A. has Israel. the Chinese have Iran, Jordan is friends with the Brits,so they are trying out Egypt,

• Like 3

http://www.ynetnews....4371090,00.html

Electricity needed, I assume. In Egypt's case it could actually be plausible. I wonder when S.A. will buy or build?

It's plausible for Iran too. It's natural to want more energy. What you don't consume you export and grow your economy. Why this economic benefit doesn't register with you is beyond me.

• Like 1

I hope its just for electric but we won't know until its too late.

I am not very keen on 'nuclear energy', not only for its potential hazard in case of negligence or lack of maintenance, or waste treatment (and its costs); but also because the option of cheaper, safer, solar energy has never been seriously pursued. Personally, I suspect it has something to do with national 'prestige' of going 'nuclear'!

Edited by meryt-tetisheri
  • Like 1

I am not very keen on 'nuclear energy', not only for its potential hazard in case of negligence or lack of maintenance, or waste treatment (and its costs); but also because the option of cheaper, safer, solar energy has never been seriously pursued. Personally, I suspect it has something to do with national 'prestige' of going 'nuclear'!

It has another attractive side benefit these days. Even before a country has seriously progressed along this path the western nations begin offering incentives to give it up.

Sometimes it's incentives, other times it's sanctions! It's always a tricky path to take.

I guess the Russians feel a bit left out in the Middle East,the U.S.A. has Israel. the Chinese have Iran, Jordan is friends with the Brits,so they are trying out Egypt,

That would be "trying out Egypt" again. Was there until peace treaty with Israel. I guess $$$ speaks louder than export model MiGs and tanks.

That would be "trying out Egypt" again. Was there until peace treaty with Israel. I guess $$$ speaks louder than export model MiGs and tanks.

From what little I've read, Russia played a crucial role in Egyptian affairs in the '50s and '60s - until '73 I guess. Nixon's declaration of defcon 3 in response to a Russian threat of intervention scared the crap out of me and I was only 12.

From what little I've read, Russia played a crucial role in Egyptian affairs in the '50s and '60s - until '73 I guess. Nixon's declaration of defcon 3 in response to a Russian threat of intervention scared the crap out of me and I was only 12.

Well, the history books tell that General Saad El Shazly planned operation Badr, and I am 100% certain this is correct.........

As for Soviet intervention, I believe that was a threatened mass air assault by VDV, but of that I am not 100% certain.

edit for this. VDV = paratroop forces, and not to be confused with spetsnaz.

Edited by Atentutankh-pasheri

Russians helping Egyptians means that Russia wants something back,and they wont accept sand.They don't do anything for nothing.

Russians helping Egyptians means that Russia wants something back,and they wont accept sand.They don't do anything for nothing.

And US is so redacted pious and righteous...... :whistle:

Edited by Atentutankh-pasheri
  • Like 1

And US is so redacted pious and righteous...... :whistle:

He's a Brit ;) But truthfully - NO country works from primarily humanitarian motives. But I'll put up the US record against Russia's any day :w00t:

You know I've always thought that if we could just build more ice rinks in Arab nations and teach them how to play ice hockey the world would be a better place for everybody.

lol

• Like 3