Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How things don’t work: curtains

pantodragon

Eave’s dropping these days one hears this sort of conversation more and more frequently: three mature women were discussing their bedroom curtains and their problems being able to sleep in the morning. The problems are due to light leaking in through the curtains waking them up. They described various attempts to darken their bedrooms. These included buying products which were described as “black-out” blinds and “black-out” curtains. None of these worked. One woman described how a friend had had shutters constructed and how these had worked, but how she herself, having tried the same approach, ended up with “leaky” shutters that did not do the job. In the end, they had found their own solutions. I did not hear all of these but one consisted of buying a sheet, fastening a wire across the top of the window, and using that to drape the sheet.

I wonder how much money these women spent on duff products before they finally realized that there was no point in spending any more money on shop bought products because none of them worked.

This is our wonderful technologically advanced “all mod cons” society.

PS: To solve this same problem, I have resorted to cellotaping black bin bags.

The sheets I use couldn't keep 50% of the light out. I have denim curtains that work fine for me. Perhaps the solution is to not have any windows if you're expecting absolute darkness during daylight hours.

DeppDisgust.gif

Is this even worthy of making a thread about? Of all the other meaningless stuff you could be posting.

• Like 1

Most curtains are made for fashion. Not function.

I used to drap a blanket over the curtain rod. That seemed to work pretty well.

The sheets I use couldn't keep 50% of the light out. I have denim curtains that work fine for me. Perhaps the solution is to not have any windows if you're expecting absolute darkness during daylight hours.

I refer you to the film Insomnia (Stellan Skarsgard). Those of us who live far enough north to have white nights in mid-summer do not wish to have do without windows just so as we can sleep properly through the summer months. Our dark winters, of course, are another matter......

Heh, I guess one of their problems was using curtains instead of drapes.

Well yes, they were british.

Is this even worthy of making a thread about? Of all the other meaningless stuff you could be posting.

#

Ignore the "little" things and they will mount up until you crack up. Take care of the pennies, and the pounds will take care of themselves --- perhaps philosophers who pride themselves in tackling the "Important Questions", the "Big Questions" might take a lesson here

Most curtains are made for fashion. Not function.

And I have just been jumped upon for suggesting that life might have been better when we lived in caves!

• 5 weeks later...

Aluminum foil..and I stole that Depp gif.

:)