Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Armed drones operated from Britain

Still Waters

Armed drone aircraft have been operated remotely from Britain for the first time, the Ministry of Defence has said.

It said Reaper drones had flown missions controlled from RAF Waddington, Lincolnshire, where campaign groups have held a protest rally against the practice.

The MoD said it respected people's rights to protest peacefully.

The drones are mainly used for surveillance, but could use weapons if commanded to by their pilots in the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nshire-22320275

• Like 1

All good practice for when 'Taranis' takes to the air.

• Like 2

"They don't like it up 'em, Mr.Mainwaring!"

• Like 2

Can I take it that these people demonstrating against the RPAS units (mustn't call them 'drones'), are demonstrating in favour of ground troops losing life and limb to the IED's that could be detected by remote survellience?

• Like 3

You need to go to this link: http://www.bbc.co.uk...nshire-22320275

I know that. Was just pointing out it did not mention drones while mentioning the cuts.

I know that. Was just pointing out it did not mention drones while mentioning the cuts.

Just trying to help... You could have linked to the article yourself.

• Like 1

Just trying to help... You could have linked to the article yourself.

I know, just wanted to point it out. :innocent:

Can I take it that these people demonstrating against the RPAS units (mustn't call them 'drones'), are demonstrating in favour of ground troops losing life and limb to the IED's that could be detected by remote survellience?

These "do gooders" really get me furious,a lot of them are drop outs who are the first to moan about anything,and the rest are stupid.GRRROOOWWWLLL.
  • Like 1

Or is it simply a possibility they are demonstrating/protesting against the use of Drones, that kill innocent people and kid's

Or is it simply a possibility they are demonstrating/protesting against the use of Drones, that kill innocent people and kid's

Unlike IED's which are selective in their targets perhaps?

As opposed to shooting their own kids for wanting to go to school? (Malala Yousafzai)

Edited by itsnotoutthere

As opposed to shooting their own kids for wanting to go to school? (Malala Yousafzai)

What the heck has that got to do with Drones???

Depends on the Rules of Engagement. The UK uses Drones for surveillance, not for interdiction.

Welcome to the Future,Unmanned aerial warfare and surveillance.The US has already demonstrated that they can fly these machines into anybody's airspace and basically pick off anybody they want.The fact now that the UK and Western Governments are now acquiring these extremely useful and dangerous weapon systems should be of no surprise.

Put this together with all the Cameras on the ground,there really is no place to hide anymore.

• Like 1

I know people tend to hate drones but it doesn't seem like they're doing anything different from what manned jets would be doing.

I know people tend to hate drones but it doesn't seem like they're doing anything different from what manned jets would be doing.

No but they are smaller,and harder to see and hear,the pilot is safely back in his operations room and drones cost one fifth or less than a fighter plane.Which in a world of tightening budgets make them a very viable and attractive option.

the argument is there is less political pressure on governments, so in the future their more likely to intervene militarily than if their forces lives are not put at risk as they are now. a good example would be Iran. if its estimated conventional strikes on Iran would likely see a 5% attrition rate of planes shot down. politically the fallout from captured or downed planes/pilots would be a disaster at home. - but if you can send drones who cares of the 5% rate - shot down. only machines, doesn't have the same impact as human lives.

remember the impact on seeing the images from the Gulf War 1991. even aged nine i can still remember seeing the images on the NEWS and propaganda film of the downed UK Tornado, and the captured and then tortured images of both pilots Flt John Peters and John Nichol.

From five minutes you can see the footage released by the Iraqis. John Peters was battered by the Iraqis.

Overall, the Old European Nations TEND to act with greater humanity and responsibility than the USA Military model. The Rules of Engagement are very strictly adhered to.

It is important to understand that NO drones have Binocular vision (i.e. twin, separated, video feeds back to base to give depth perception to the pilots) which is a simple cost analysis amounting to approximately 100,000 USD per aircraft. But cost is everything... With depth perception then it is easier (much) to ensure that your target is that which is intended, without the enormous collateral deaths of innocent people.

Then there are Institutional Imperitives... who, in their right mind, would allow such Organisations as the CIA to operate and command ANY drone mission? They seem to be supporting Heroin Production in Afghanistan (UK Troops forbidden from burning the Poppy Fields).

snip

Edited by OverSword