Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Petition to remake Confederate monument

Kowalski

Petition to remake Confederate monument splits Georgians

3301072.jpgCarving of Jefferson Davis and Gens. Robert E Lee and Stonewall Jackson. (Fox Photos/Getty Images)

Depending on whom you ask, the enormous monument carved into Georgia's Stone Mountain is either a proud statement or a blight and an embarrassment.

Depicting the only president of the Confederate States, Jefferson Davis, riding beside Gens. Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson, it's two football fields wide, making it the largest of its kind.

The NBC station 11 Alive reports that a petition that seeks to remake this famous—and infamous—landmark is causing controversy.

"It's almost like a black eye or an embarrassing smudge on our culture," the petition's creator, McCartney Forde, told local 11.

Forde's online petition on Change.org calls for changes to be made to the mountainside carving, first conceived in 1923 by a charter member of the Daughters of the Confederacy but not completed until 1972.

He writes, “The three men embossed on the face of arguably the most famous landmark in the great state of Georgia are icons for what is widely considered the darkest period in our nation’s history. ... It is a monument that perpetuates the perception of Georgia as an icon of racism, slavery and oppression.”

Forde suggests that the current carving be removed and replaced with a monument to Georgia veterans.

So far, just 164 people have signed the petition, but the quest seems to be as controversial as the monument itself.

"We should not erase history," Calvin Johnson, Jr., a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, told the news station.

He added, "These guys [were] regarded very highly in the North and South after the War Between the States, and it's only been the last 30 or 40 years that I think what you call revisionist history began in this country."

Symbols of the Confederacy, which to many represent the pro-slavery history of the South, continue to stir up debate. A song by country singer Brad Paisley, “Accidental Racist,” recently caused an outcry because, among other things, it seemed to defend his wearing of a Confederate flag T-shirt.

"The only thing I meant to say is I'm a Skynyrd fan,” he sings.

Taken from http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/petition-remove-stone-carving-confederacy-stirs-debate-151726274.html

This is the STUPIDEST thing ever! What is wrong with people? We can't even celebrate our heritage without being called a racist?

Thankfully only 164 people have signed the petition, but that's 164 idiots that we DON'T need.... :no:

• Like 2

I'm glad to see these people are in minority, though, which is good. But obviously they don't know their history.

Robert E Lee (who is depicted on the monument) was against slavery (even though he owned slaves) but he thought the practice would die out eventually. Stonewall Jackson (also depicted) thought the same thing. He even taught his slaves to read the Bible (which was illegal at the time!) and held Bible studies with them. So, these are two guys, I feel, it's okay to depict. I mean, Robert E Lee was a very great man. And he may have lead the South, he also paved the way for peace and an end to the hostilities that had torn our country apart.

After the Civil War, he was at a Church service, and during communion a black man walked up the aisle and knelt before the preacher, which was not allowed at the time. No one moved for a few moments. But then, Robert E Lee stepped forward and knelt beside the man. Everyone else got up and followed suit... :)

• Like 1

Leave it alone, its part of our history. If you don't like it don't go there.

• Like 4

I don't see the big deal. There isn't much controversy about Albert Pike's statue being in DC, despite being a confederate General charged with scalping enemies and one of the founders of the KKK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Pike

But we can forgive his crimes because he was the highest ranking Mason in america at the time.

• Like 1

I'm glad to see these people are in minority, though, which is good. But obviously they don't know their history.

Robert E Lee (who is depicted on the monument) was against slavery (even though he owned slaves) but he thought the practice would die out eventually. Stonewall Jackson (also depicted) thought the same thing. He even taught his slaves to read the Bible (which was illegal at the time!) and held Bible studies with them. So, these are two guys, I feel, it's okay to depict. I mean, Robert E Lee was a very great man. And he may have lead the South, he also paved the way for peace and an end to the hostilities that had torn our country apart.

After the Civil War, he was at a Church service, and during communion a black man walked up the aisle and knelt before the preacher, which was not allowed at the time. No one moved for a few moments. But then, Robert E Lee stepped forward and knelt beside the man. Everyone else got up and followed suit... :)

Agreed, Robert E Lee was a great man and one of the finest Generals in history. He was offered supreme leadership of the Union armies but considered himself a Virginian first and foremost, so sided with his state.

Same with Stonewall, religious as hell (would not send post if it would be in transit on a sunday) but what a General. His Valley campaign in the Shenandoah, stuff of genius.

Great men. Many confederates were.

Edited by Walter White
  • Like 2

Agreed, Robert E Lee was a great man and one of the finest Generals in history. He was offered supreme leadership of the Union armies but considered himself a Virginian first and foremost, so sided with his state.

Same with Stonewall, religious as hell (would not send post if it would be in transit on a sunday) but what a General. His Valley campaign in the Shenandoah, stuff of genius.

Great men. Many confederates were.

Yep. Some really great men. :tu:

• Like 1