Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

AA artifacts - evidence or speculation ?

Sheep Smart

So we can dismiss the theories from professional archaeologists and anthropologists who spend the better part of their lives studying ancient cultures who then must put those theories into the lion's mouth called peer review? Simply because they weren't there? All the artifacts, all the documentation and records, all of the oral histories passed down to descendants, all of the cultural evidence left behind by ancient civilizations don't matter?

I dont dismiss them, I just dont care to acknowledge them because for one theories of ancient history come a dime a dozen. Accepted theories are not necessarily proven.

Like exeter said, we seem to think we know everything about people and thier beliefs, myths, and everything theyve seen thousands of years ago.

• Like 1

So we can dismiss the theories from professional archaeologists and anthropologists who spend the better part of their lives studying ancient cultures who then must put those theories into the lion's mouth called peer review? Simply because they weren't there? All the artifacts, all the documentation and records, all of the oral histories passed down to descendants, all of the cultural evidence left behind by ancient civilizations don't matter?

Hi Slave2Fate.

That was not my point at all. The academics have done a wonderful job of exploring and deciphering how ancient people lived and what they believed in.

From what I have personally experienced is that even today people have difficulty grasping the intricacies of a foreign culture. Experiences are expressed in their own language and/or beliefs, and the way we have been trained from day one to interpret things eventually will get in the way of understanding what they are describing. Now apply that to people who lived thousands of years ago and that really complicates that by several factors.

It's like the islanders who thought WWII planes were gods (sorry I can't remember all the dentals right now). That was relatively recent. Why couldn't have an alien race visited in the past and the indigenous people have made images of what they really saw?

I know it's just speculation, but so is a large part of what has been submitted by archeologists.

Donna

• Like 3

Whats the purpose of this, just one of the many hundreds at Nazca, a 6 mile long runway looking line for religious purposes ? I seriously doubt that and if anyone suggests this is naturally made im certain reverse evolution is in full effect

air_strip_nazca_lines.jpg

for the genius who made the remark about "visual aid" heres some more since the thread is based on visual images.

some 13-15th century paintings with "natural occurances" (that just so happen to look like ufos) in the background.

Whats the latest theory on these?

ajesusufo.jpg

The Baptism of Christ by Aert de Gelder (1645-1727)

zz+10+crucifixion_400x360.jpg

"The Crucifixion" (1350)

Visoki Decani Monestary

Kosovo, Yugoslavi

maryufoclose.jpg

"Madonna col Bambino e San Giovannino"

(Madonna and Child with the Infant Saint John)

Annunciation_Crivelli_Carlo_01.jpg

"The Annunciation with Saint Emidius" (1486)

Carlo Crivelli (1430-1495)

National Gallery, London

Foppa68_294_01.jpg

"Adoration of the Child with St. Benedict and Angels" (c 1480)

Vincenzo Foppa

(ca.1430-1515)

Virgin_Mary_UFO_01.jpg

"Tenture de la Vie de la Vierge"

Unknown Artist

(1330)

Notre-Dame

Edited by Sheep Smart
  • Like 1

Sheep, when you see the paintings, what do you do?

For me, when i see the paintings, the small/tiny depictions do look like Flying suacers. UFOs etc.

But do i make a sudden conclusion whether they are indeed UFOs?

No i dont. because i need to know more about these depictions.

So what do i do?

I research. I read material. I use my common sense. I use occam's razor. i arrive at my conclusions.

that is what every thinking man should do.

for your information, have a look at this link regarding the 'depcitions of UFOs in Medieval Art"

• Like 1

For me, when i see the paintings, the small/tiny depictions do look like Flying suacers. UFOs etc.

But do i make a sudden conclusion whether they are indeed UFOs?

No i dont. because i need to know more about these depictions.

So what do i do?

I research. I read material. I use my common sense. I use occam's razor. i arrive at my conclusions.

that is what every thinking man should do.

for your information, have a look at this link regarding the 'depcitions of UFOs in Medieval Art"

Well, if its nice outside I sometimes I put on my french maid outfit and pop a ****load of acid. Not today though, no acid on Sundays,

thats fabulous. ive done all that but i still see what looks like the same thing thousands of people claim to see each year while reporting a ufo sighting. so you see how that works dont you? after all my thoughts are different from yours. are they not? if i started this thread and i stand by what i think and back it against the herd, isnt that my own conclusion?

if it looks like a duck, in every picture....

you should really use your own razor.

Edited by Sheep Smart

thats fabulous. ive done all that but i still see what looks like the same thing thousands of people claim to see each year while reporting a ufo sighting. so you see how that works dont you? after all my thoughts are different from yours. are they not?

if it looks like a duck, in every picture....

you should really use your own razor.

Putting aside the pithy remarks, take a look at the link that i have provided and do give your comments.

Putting aside the pithy remarks, take a look at the link that i have provided and do give your comments.

please dont put them aside.

yea, i dont really agree with the shape shifting cloud- star theories.

You dont really expect me to change my mind after that read do you?

• Like 2

i realize its off topic, but can you explain your somewhat contradictive quote

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

:unsure2:

No comments. :innocent:

no really. can you?

I want to learn the secrets of success.

Edited by Sheep Smart
  • Like 1

Sheep, UFO doesnt mean aliens. Ofcourse there are UFO in ancient paintings. They knew less about universe then we.

My point is if you want to search to Aliens in ancient paintings you need to look better.

I could give examples of cases where we realy cant exclude alien ship like Conrad Lycosthenes wood cut from 1479.

Secret of success... personal or as civilization success? Either way efficency plays big role in it.

• Like 2

oh look at the time. well, im off for breakfast. Its been fun. have a great day everyone! :su

I'll say this just one more time: Do not make the discussion personal. Stick to the subject matter.

• Like 1

So we all have to go over this again for the 1000th time?

I just read a couple of pages of this thread, and I see nothing that has not been discussed and not been debunked.

Ancient Aliens Debunked

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=2684&showentry=26585

UFO's in Ancient Art Debunked

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=2684&showentry=25328

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 3

these 'coincidences' of expression regarding strange objects in the sky unknown to human culture spans back tens of thousands of years and is still going on today, surely there must be some connection even if it is on a sub conscious level ....

we know that humans have been observing the skies for much longer than we gave them credit for :

Dunhuang Star Atlas

Credit and Copyright: J.-M. Bonnet-Bidaud (CEA, Saclay), F. Praderie (Obs. Paris) S. Whitfield (British Library)

Explanation: This ancient Chinese map of planet Earth's northern sky is part of the Dunhuang Star Atlas, one of the most impressive documents in the history of astronomy. The oldest complete star atlas known, it dates to the years 649 to 684, discovered at the Silk Road town of Dunhuang in 1907. A recent analysis that examines the accuracy and projections used to make it notes the atlas marks positions of over 1,300 stars and outlines 257 Chinese star groups or asterisms. The star positions in the hand drawn atlas were found to be accurate to within a few degrees. In this example showing the north polar region, a very recognizable Big Dipper, part of the modern constellation Ursa Major, lies along the bottom of the chart. An additional 12 charts depict equatorial regions in 30 degree sections and also include a grouping resembling the modern constellation Orion. The atlas is on display at the British Library in London to celebrate the International Year of Astronomy.

dunhuang_npole_copie.jpg

carte-chinoise-du-xiiie-si%C3%A8cle.jpg

video_dunhuangWeb2.jpg

link

more links

• Like 1

I just read a couple of pages of this thread, and I see nothing that has not been discussed and not been debunked.

Ancient Aliens Debunked

http://www.unexplain...showentry=26585

UFO's in Ancient Art Debunked

http://www.unexplain...showentry=25328

Henri Lhote (1903–1991) was a French author, explorer, ethnographer, and "expert on prehistoric cave art" who described and is credited for the discovery of "important cave paintings" in an "assembly of 800 or more magnificent works of primitive art...in a virtually inaccessible region on the edge of the Sahara desert" Lhote was an early ancient astronaut theorist and considered the prehistoric art as evidence of paleocontact.

-

The popular press gave much attention to Lhote's hypothesis of a prehistoric close encounter and it was later incorporated into the '"sensationalist claims" made by Erich von Däniken that ancient extraterrestrial astronauts visited prehistoric Earth.

-

The value of Lhote's scholarship was also challenged by The Journal of North African Studies, an academic journal affiliated with the University of East Anglia:

Following a highly publicised expedition in the 1950s, the Tassili-n-Ajjer mountains of the Central Sahara (Algeria) were presented to the world as 'the greatest museum of prehistoric art in the whole world'. Many of the claims of the expedition's leader, Henri Lhote, were misleading, a number of the paintings were faked, and the copying process was fraught with errors. The 'discovery' can only be understood within the political and cultural context of the time, namely the Algerian Revolution, France's attempt to partition Algeria, and the prevailing views of the Abbé Breuil, the arch-advocate of foreign influence in African rock art. The expedition's methods caused extensive damage to the rock art while the accompanying looting of cultural objects effectively sterilized the archaeological landscape. Any restitution process must necessarily include a full recognition of what was done and the inappropriateness of the values.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=233044&st=45#entry4459083

~links snip

Abe ... you are charging up at the wrong front ... this is about the interesting occurrences of such expressions in the human cultures of ye olde days of ancient times commonly associated with 'aliens' today.

nobody is saying aliens are real ..... because of it ... just because there are more than a few fraudsters who disreputably poke their grubby fingers in such research it doesn't make every single artifact thus found so far automatically forgeries .....

• Like 2

Abe ... you are charging up at the wrong front ... this is about the interesting occurrences of such expressions in the human cultures of ye olde days of ancient times commonly associated with 'aliens' today.

nobody is saying aliens are real ..... because of it ... just because there are more than a few fraudsters who disreputably poke their grubby fingers in such research it doesn't make every single artifact thus found so far automatically forgeries .....

I read about UFOs in medieval art, I read about the Bagdad 'battery', I read about that ancient Egyptian 'helicopter'....

These have all been discussed and debunked. And they were real artifacts, but interpreted with a lot of wishful thinking.

Hi the L.

You're using extreme examples in an attempt to prove your point which is not far removed from a strawman argument. I know the previous posts have been addressed but to be truly open minded you have to allow for a margin of doubt.

Donna

And the OP in citing from von Däniken et al is singling out examples which superficially resemble our conceptions of modern space suits, ect. That's not far removed from cherry picking. No, wait, that's the exact definition of cherry picking. L OTOH Makes a valid comparison. If the thesis is that these were artistically intended to represent real things within these cultures, then an examination of what else these cultures produced artistically in context would be in order, which is nowhere near a strawman. Also, when one is dealing from the start with the fantastic, how does one determine what falls within the limits of "extreme"?

Funny isn't it how that required doubt always seems to be so highly specific in it's directionality.

Edited by Oniomancer
  • Like 1

I read about UFOs in medieval art, I read about the Bagdad 'battery', I read about that ancient Egyptian 'helicopter'....

These have all been discussed and debunked. And they were real artifacts, but interpreted with a lot of wishful thinking.

I know ... and guess what ?

they (at least more than a few) knows too ... :lol:

its just interesting to look at ...... can't deny that ol'chap .... those that don't wanna know ... well ... I'll just pour myself another ... :D

Whats the purpose of this, just one of the many hundreds at Nazca, a 6 mile long runway looking line for religious purposes ? I seriously doubt that and if anyone suggests this is naturally made im certain reverse evolution is in full effect

air_strip_nazca_lines.jpg

You seriously doubt that because you have never looked deeper into it.

Read Johan Reinhard's work as a start. And Maria Reiche's work

and i guess, you flew over them nazca lines too, havent you Abe??

If it amuses a bored sock puppet to stir a mess for whatever their purpose is. I'm surprised people have taken this thread seriously......