Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ancient City Found

LucidElement

Not sure if this has been posted yet. But here is it. CLICK LINK FOR PICS..

It is a city shrouded in myth, swallowed by the Mediterranean Sea and buried in sand and mud for more than 1,200 years. But now archeologists are unearthing the mysteries of Heracleion, uncovering amazingly well-preserved artifacts that tell the story of a vibrant classical-era port.

Known as Heracleion to the ancient Greeks and Thonis to the ancient Eygptians, the city was rediscovered in 2000 by French underwater archaeologist Dr. Franck Goddio and a team from the European Institute for Underwater Acheology (IEASM) after a four-year geophysical survey. The ruins of the lost city were found 30 feet under the surface of the Mediterranean Sea in Aboukir Bay, near Alexandria.

Source: http://www.huffingto..._n_3178208.html

Edited by Still Waters
Reduced amount of copied text
  • Like 8

Thanks for posting this! Underwater archeology is really neat.

Wonder how much more the oceans hold.

• Like 1

Wow, that's an interesting news! I have been aware of the fact that oceans hold cities such as this, but I never thought I would get to see and hear about finding such as this! And just like Harsh86_Patel says, this does make me wonder how many other cities there are still left for us to find!

Heracleion was discovered in 2001, around 12 years back!

And its getting into the news only now??

Ahh well...its the Huffington post. Cant expect more.

The Huff Post is going the way of The Sun and other tabloids.

But at least it's not "The Weekly World News". :lol:

cormac

There is a new thread here about El Mirador, Guatemala. It's in the news now, but the guy who has been excavating the site has been digging for 20+ years. And it's now in the news because he came with some astounding conclusions based on his decades of research.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=247314

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 1

Wow, that's an interesting news! I have been aware of the fact that oceans hold cities such as this, but I never thought I would get to see and hear about finding such as this! And just like Harsh86_Patel says, this does make me wonder how many other cities there are still left for us to find!

If you're interested try looking up Atlit Yam, Kfar Samir, Kfar Galim, Tel-Hreiz, Megadim or Neve-Yam off the coast of Israel. These go back to the 6th and 7th millenia BC.

cormac

• Like 1

If you're interested try looking up Atlit Yam, Kfar Samir, Kfar Galim, Tel-Hreiz, Megadim or Neve-Yam off the coast of Israel. These go back to the 6th and 7th millenia BC.

cormac

The Mediterranean is a very geologically active area: portions of its coast rise and sink in a generation's time.

I have to think of Puzzuoli, Italy.

Edited by Abramelin

After posting my message, I got a slight memory of hearing about someone finding an city on the depths of the ocean a while back... other than that, I must say I'm kind of disappointed for the fact that because I can't really calm down and watch the news on television, I should know the right places to look for these kinds of news on internet, and I haven't found the best source for them yet... luckily I found my way into this site, as I'm sure you guys note me about things like this as they happen!

Also, I'd like to thank cormac for the hints, I'll check those out right away!

• Like 2

Not sure if this has been posted yet. But here is it. CLICK LINK FOR PICS..

It is a city shrouded in myth, swallowed by the Mediterranean Sea and buried in sand and mud for more than 1,200 years. But now archeologists are unearthing the mysteries of Heracleion, uncovering amazingly well-preserved artifacts that tell the story of a vibrant classical-era port.

Known as Heracleion to the ancient Greeks and Thonis to the ancient Eygptians, the city was rediscovered in 2000 by French underwater archaeologist Dr. Franck Goddio and a team from the European Institute for Underwater Acheology (IEASM) after a four-year geophysical survey. The ruins of the lost city were found 30 feet under the surface of the Mediterranean Sea in Aboukir Bay, near Alexandria.

.Source: http://www.huffingto..._n_3178208.html

This was previously mentioned in the form of the following quote from a TELEGRAPH article to which the link does not function - The discovery is proof that an apparent 'Myth' was in fact reality after all

OBVIOUSLY EVIDENCE IS ALWAYS USEFUL

"Ruins of the Ancient City of Heracleion discovered submerged in the Mediterranean where it sank more than one thousand years ago

For centuries it was thought to be a legend, a city of extraordinary wealth mentioned in Homer, visited by Helen of Troy and Paris, her lover, but apparently buried under the sea. In fact, Heracleion was true, and a decade after divers began uncovering its treasures, archaeologists have produced a picture of what life was like in the city in the era of the pharaohs. The city, also called Thonis, disappeared beneath the Mediterranean around 1,200 years ago and was found during a survey of the Egyptian shore at the beginning of the last decade. Now its life at the heart of trade routes in classical times are becoming clear, with researchers forming the view that the city was the main customs hub through which all trade from Greece and elsewhere in the Mediterranean entered Egypt. "

Edited by Still Waters
Reduced amount of quoted text

This was previously mentioned in the form of the following quote from a TELEGRAPH article to which the link does not function - The discovery is proof that an apparent 'Myth' was in fact reality after all

Do you have any problem with your keyboard? Why do you have to make it in such big fonts?

I think it's not AlnilamPhiSiriusly's intention, s/he just visited a site with huge fonts, and then posted here. Somehow the UM site "remembers" the fonts of the site you last visited.

I have had the same problem. It's best to write your reply in Notepad first, and then copy what you wrote in Notepad, and paste it in your reply here.

On the other hand: it could be a cry for attention, lol.

Edited by Abramelin

Except it doesn't, since the article itself clearly says:

For centuries it was thought to be a legend

There's a difference between a myth and a legend.

cormac

Except it doesn't, since the article itself clearly says:

There's a difference between a myth and a legend.

cormac

Nevertheless, not everyone would agree with you

Because another story on Heracleion is titled:

'Thought To Be A Myth, An 8th Century B.C. Egyptian City, Heracleion, Was Found Sunken 150 Feet Underwater'

http://www.newsforag...century-bc.html

The article states that:

'Until a decade ago, no one knew if Heracleion, believed to be an ancient harbor city, was fiction or real. Now, reports the Telegraph, the researchers who found it 150 feet beneath the surface of Egypt's Bay of Aboukir are sharing some of the amazing historical artefacts preserved there. The finds include 64 ships, 16-foot-tall statues, 700 anchors and countless gold coins and smaller artefacts'.

Nevertheless, not everyone would agree with you

Because another story on Heracleion is titled:

'Thought To Be A Myth, An 8th Century B.C. Egyptian City, Heracleion, Was Found Sunken 150 Feet Underwater'

http://www.newsforag...century-bc.html

The article states that:

'Until a decade ago, no one knew if Heracleion, believed to be an ancient harbor city, was fiction or real. Now, reports the Telegraph, the researchers who found it 150 feet beneath the surface of Egypt's Bay of Aboukir are sharing some of the amazing historical artefacts preserved there. The finds include 64 ships, 16-foot-tall statues, 700 anchors and countless gold coins and smaller artefacts'.

So you found someone else who's as ignorant of the difference between a myth and a legend. Heracleion existed for nearly 2000 years before it disappeared, in the middle of the 1st millenium AD. So nobody knew if it was real or fiction? Really? Sadly, this is a case of ignorance breeding offspring.

cormac

Its crazy because I think we've only discovered about 6-8% of our world's ocean. Who knows whats down there .

• Like 1

Wonder how much more the oceans hold.

I think more than we can ever imagine... I can't wait to hear of more discoveries in my lifetime. :)

I thought the OP link and a couple other links I read all said 30 feet under the bay, not 150 feet.