Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Patriots are being tracked and reported?

krillen

Mental health professionals would decide. Who else?

We need better mental health awareness and intervention in this country. That is simply progress.

If you had a child who was becoming a threat to you and your family, if you did not know what to do, if you called law enforcement for help, hopefully they would send a caseworker and mental health personnel to help.

In a perfect world, yes. You can't expect the police do anything, with a dangerous or unruly child, if they haven't actually commited a crime. I know one Mother whose nine year old son would threaten her and his younger siblings with a knife and poisoning from the time he was six. Social services will not intervene and you cannot get help from the majority of mental health professionals because you don't have the insurance needed.

No, it isn't a simple process even to get an adult the care they need, much less a child.

This "the left has caused more terrorism throughout history" point being bandied around, if true, is a truth that is attempting to hide another truth.

The truth of which side is causing more terrorism now and in recent history. If it was the left then one would be bandying around the point in terms of "the left is causing the most terrorism now" but since that is not accurate we are hearing about the long view. That is fine but the point being made is a way to sweep away what we all know deep inside.

Terrorism now is from conservatives mainly, homegrown, yes, mostly right-wing, Islamic, yes again, mainly conservatives in their spheres, these are not moderate Muslims or liberal ones.

Now we can look at the long view. Most terrorism in the past 150 years or so was from the left...but what about this: the liberals rejected the extreme of their wing they margianalized them, did not claim them.

Was Kennedy and LBJ supporting red-brigade terror, black power resistance, or eco-terrorists? No! Liberals were calling for law and order. Demanding it. Enforcing it.

Why then today are the moderate Republicans not speaking out? Why are they not distancing themselves except in hushed tones? Why do they silently harbor the extremists in their party?

That is the difference. 1984 might be the moment terrorism and mass shootings and plots switched from being majorly a left-wing to a right-wing phenomenon. Look up the San Ysidro McDonald's massacre and what the mass shooter there complained about before doing what he did.

He said he was going to hunt humans. He hated society at large for being this or that, unlike the leftists of yesteryear who did terror against companies or the police but not just randoms in society because they don't like the way society is going.

Look at how similar his complaints are to the ones still being made today by right-wing radicals. But the radicals have been mainstreamed. People seem to be profiting from the extremism and mistrust they breed and grow.

Since then we have had the Koreshes, the McVeighs, the Osamas, the Columbine duo, the Lanzas.

What do they have in common? They are either conservative or have a love of guns or hate society or our government because instead of compromising they would rather attack.

So we do have a problem, people notice, and instead of digging in with fear that they are going to come for our guns, guns that won't allow you to win a war with a modern military (can't beat the feds today without drones of your own and anti-aircraft batteries), the right could instead simply denounce and distance themselves from the new terrorists and become partners in sensible legislation.

There will be blowback and people are craving law and order, not paranoia that our government is out to get us, they are not out to get me.

No need for "if you only knew" type of points. If you know then tell us.

But you make a good point, there are psychologist whose therapy is talking and exercises, psychiatrist whose therapy is talking and meds, we have among them different therapies, different meds, and every patient needs a certain mix unique to them for a proper response.

But we cannot just throw up our arms and say forget it. We have a mental health crisis. We need a national response, not just for those saying they hate the government, most of them are not mentally ill, but the ones who are need screening.

Overall we have to begin forming a comprehensive solution to the general mental health crisis, the ones that allow for suicides among vets, to the Jodi Ariases, to Ted Kazinskis (had to mention the favorite target of the right to show the left has terrorists too), and the top dog in the Air Force in charge of sexual harassment (definitely leaning toward some kind of disorder even if just alcoholism.)

Good lord...can't you stay on topic without rambling on?

• Like 1

No need for "if you only knew" type of points. If you know then tell us.

But you make a good point, there are psychologist whose therapy is talking and exercises, psychiatrist whose therapy is talking and meds, we have among them different therapies, different meds, and every patient needs a certain mix unique to them for a proper response.

But we cannot just throw up our arms and say forget it. We have a mental health crisis. We need a national response, not just for those saying they hate the government, most of them are not mentally ill, but the ones who are need screening.

Overall we have to begin forming a comprehensive solution to the general mental health crisis, the ones that allow for suicides among vets, to the Jodi Ariases, to Ted Kazinskis (had to mention the favorite target of the right to show the left has terrorists too), and the top dog in the Air Force in charge of sexual harassment (definitely leaning toward some kind of disorder even if just alcoholism.)

No one knows. THAT is the point.

I'm not even remotely saying that we should "throw up our arms and say forget it". I am saying that anything relating to the medical field, including mental health, should not be dictated or mandated by the government. They want to make a requirement for a screening for something, then that's fine, as long as they accept the results (and pay for it), but they should not dictate any of the guidelines.

"the ones that allow for suicides among vets" please clarify this, as it seems you are in favor of this action.

• Like 2

We might not know how it will work but we still have to move forward and address the mental health crisis including where it intersects with firearms (since some of the mass shootings seem to have both factors as commonalities).

A national inititative on mental health (a war on mental health issues for example, instead of a war on drugs) is needed overall and not just focusing on those who possess firearms since most firearm owners do not have mental health issues compared to the regular population, Where the two meet (firearm owners with mental health issues) becomes a potential mental healh molotov cocktail with potential to become the next mass shooting.

I doubt anyone wants mass shootings to continue and they should be eliminated through every angle possible, not just mental health issues, that is just one angle. Instead of resisting this angle it should be welcomed and included. There are other areas that have to be addressed: gun safety, gun storage, gun locks, and overall awareness so if too many red flags are raised a relative, friend, or individual can intervene or try to.

Problem is how many gun owners who suffer mental illness or have someone in their home who will go forward and surrendur or sell their own firearms knowing the risks? If they won't do it someone else has to get the ball rolling...

There is also a need to address suicide rates among our veterans as well as other mental health issues they suffer from. Hopefully this was the clarification requested.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!

This "the left has caused more terrorism throughout history" point being bandied around, if true, is a truth that is attempting to hide another truth.

The truth of which side is causing more terrorism now and in recent history. If it was the left then one would be bandying around the point in terms of "the left is causing the most terrorism now" but since that is not accurate we are hearing about the long view. That is fine but the point being made is a way to sweep away what we all know deep inside.

Terrorism now is from conservatives mainly, homegrown, yes, mostly right-wing, Islamic, yes again, mainly conservatives in their spheres, these are not moderate Muslims or liberal ones.

Now we can look at the long view. Most terrorism in the past 150 years or so was from the left...but what about this: the liberals rejected the extreme of their wing they margianalized them, did not claim them.

Was Kennedy and LBJ supporting red-brigade terror, black power resistance, or eco-terrorists? No! Liberals were calling for law and order. Demanding it. Enforcing it.

Why then today are the moderate Republicans not speaking out? Why are they not distancing themselves except in hushed tones? Why do they silently harbor the extremists in their party?

That is the difference. 1984 might be the moment terrorism and mass shootings and plots switched from being majorly a left-wing to a right-wing phenomenon. Look up the San Ysidro McDonald's massacre and what the mass shooter there complained about before doing what he did.

He said he was going to hunt humans. He hated society at large for being this or that, unlike the leftists of yesteryear who did terror against companies or the police but not just randoms in society because they don't like the way society is going.

Look at how similar his complaints are to the ones still being made today by right-wing radicals. But the radicals have been mainstreamed. People seem to be profiting from the extremism and mistrust they breed and grow.

Since then we have had the Koreshes, the McVeighs, the Osamas, the Columbine duo, the Lanzas.

What do they have in common? They are either conservative or have a love of guns or hate society or our government because instead of compromising they would rather attack.

So we do have a problem, people notice, and instead of digging in with fear that they are going to come for our guns, guns that won't allow you to win a war with a modern military (can't beat the feds today without drones of your own and anti-aircraft batteries), the right could instead simply denounce and distance themselves from the new terrorists and become partners in sensible legislation.

There will be blowback and people are craving law and order, not paranoia that our government is out to get us, they are not out to get me.

"Was Kennedy and LBJ supporting red-brigade terror, black power resistance, or eco-terrorists? No! Liberals were calling for law and order. Demanding it. Enforcing it."

Really? Liberals were calling for law and order on fellow liberals? (and yes, they are liberal groups)

Islamic terrorist groups have much more in common with Liberalism than they do with Conservatism. If you dealt with them on anything more than an (and I use this word very loosely here) academic capacity, you would know this. I have.

Tell me, other than the Islamic terrorists (which aren't right wing), what right wing groups have commited acts of violence?

As for the left, I don't need to go back to the 60s and 70s. I'll give you the "Occupy" Movement. While they claim that the violence and other various criminal activities were done by protestors not part of their group, they did nothing to stop it, nor did they let the police do their jobs to arrest those responsible. So, yes, the Occupy groups were responsible.

• Like 1

We might not know how it will work but we still have to move forward and address the mental health crisis including where it intersects with firearms (since some of the mass shootings seem to have both factors as commonalities).

A national inititative on mental health (a war on mental health issues for example, instead of a war on drugs) is needed overall and not just focusing on those who possess firearms since most firearm owners do not have mental health issues compared to the regular population, Where the two meet (firearm owners with mental health issues) becomes a potential mental healh molotov cocktail with potential to become the next mass shooting.

I doubt anyone wants mass shootings to continue and they should be eliminated through every angle possible, not just mental health issues, that is just one angle. Instead of resisting this angle it should be welcomed and included. There are other areas that have to be addressed: gun safety, gun storage, gun locks, and overall awareness so if too many red flags are raised a relative, friend, or individual can intervene or try to.

Problem is how many gun owners who suffer mental illness or have someone in their home who will go forward and surrendur or sell their own firearms knowing the risks? If they won't do it someone else has to get the ball rolling...

There is also a need to address suicide rates among our veterans as well as other mental health issues they suffer from. Hopefully this was the clarification requested.

To say "we still have to move forward and address the mental health crisis including where it intersects with firearms" is idiotic. That's like saying that we need to address mental health concerns that intersect with sadomasocism because there are people that like to have sex with animals. What needs to be addressed is the underlying cause of mental health issues that cause violence. Period. Not firearms specific (Tim McVeigh used a box truck with explosives, not guns, yet the government hasn't banned household cleaners, fertilizer or box trucks), but violence specific. And I can promise you that a large portion will have been the result of years of being bullied, and no one doing anything about it.

Yes, that made things more clear (though, I didn't think you were condoning suicide among Vets).

I have my own theory about mental health issues from Veterans that would lead to suicide (being a vet and having close friends that were vets that killed themselves after coming home).

• Like 2

I have a question for all the Pro-Gunners who claimed that instead of trying to ban guns, the "government" should focus on mental health.

If you are objecting to this program, then how exactly are you imagining the "government" going about finding people with mental health issues which could result in harm to themselves or others? Isn't this sort of program pretty much exactly what would be needed?

Looking at the original article (as opposed to an article from a conspiracy site taken from an article in another conspiracy site) the claim is:

"Bradshaw is readying a hotline and is planning public service announcements to encourage local citizens to report their neighbors, friends or family members if they fear they could harm themselves or others.

The goal won’t be to arrest troubled people but to get them help before there’s violence, Bradshaw said. As a side benefit, law enforcement will have needed information to keep a close eye on things."

Now, note that people already have the ability to get on the phone and call the police if they have neighbors whom they already suspect specifically of being a danger to themselves or others. The problem is that they have a belief (not entirely unfounded) that doing so will ultimately result in nothing, being that they have no evidence and no desire to go out and collect any. Well, now they have been specifically told that, yes, the police will listen to you, and yes, the police will respond, and no, they will not respond by going in with guns blazing. It will be a reasonable, intelligent response, designed specifically to not inflame any existing situation, and with full knowledge that the situation may not be what it seems.

Unlike some of the responses in this thread, this program does not assume that the people on the other end are idiots, willing traitors to the country, or unrepentant killers just waiting for an excuse to kill people.

• Like 1

aq, how have you been? Long time no see.

You may find this information useful. Enjoy it!

---------------

A new $1 million dollar program led by Palm Beach County Sheriff Ric Bradshaw aimed at “violence prevention” is encouraging Floridians to report their neighbors for making hateful comments about the government, a chilling reminder of how dissent is being characterized as an extremist threat.

fbi-cia-to-monitor-facebook-profiles1.jpg

“Bradshaw plans to use the extra $1 million to launch “prevention intervention” units featuring specially trained deputies, mental health professionals and caseworkers. The teams will respond to citizen phone calls to a 24-hour hotline with a knock on the door and a referral to services, if needed,” reports the Palm Beach Post.

Details: Floridians Encouraged To Report Neighbors Who “Hate Government”

Well well! If we hate someone, we could easily pick up our phones, and call 911: "The dude next to my door hates the government!!!". How convenient =))

Ha . That's not going to go very well. I just don't think that people will be calling in on normal law abiding citizens that are not happy with every aspect of governemnt , mainly the corrupt aspect within it . People have the RIGHT to their own personal feelings towards the corruption going on within the government / bamkers/globalist . I would like to see government officals start reporting one another, like the ones that know the dirty dealings and all , they ought to have a law passed to report and observe themselves .Though I do think that if anyone makes a serious threat against anyone , not just the government , but towards anyone , i think that it's wise to inform the proper authorities.That's just common sense . The government shouldn't be telling people to spy on citizens for them , seriously, anyone can make a false claim and cause problems . I think it's a waste of money and i think that particular area in Fl. has plenty of money to waste.

West Palm Beach is weird anyway. I know that most of Floridians don't feel the same as that community does.

Edited by Reann
  • Like 3

"Was Kennedy and LBJ supporting red-brigade terror, black power resistance, or eco-terrorists? No! Liberals were calling for law and order. Demanding it. Enforcing it."

Really? Liberals were calling for law and order on fellow liberals? (and yes, they are liberal groups)

Yes, the radical left opposed liberalism and liberalism was not a term they adopted.

JFK pleased many liberals but did move against the far left (Communism) in both resolving to defeat it in Vietnam (LBJ later sent the first ground troops in 1965) and in authorizing wiretaps against MLK and his assocites after warning MLK to distance himself from "communists".

Kennedy announced a change of policy from support to partnership with Diem in defeat of communism in South Vietnam

<snip>

In 1963, FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover, who hated civil-rights leader Martin Luther King, Jr. and viewed him as an upstart troublemaker, presented the Kennedy Administration with allegations that some of King's close confidants and advisers were communists. Concerned that the allegations, if made public, would derail the Administration's civil rights initiatives, Robert Kennedy and the president both warned King to discontinue the suspect associations.

After the associations continued, Robert Kennedy felt compelled to issue a written directive authorizing the FBI to wiretap King and other leaders of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, King's civil rights organization. Although Kennedy only gave written approval for limited wiretapping of King's phones "on a trial basis, for a month or so", Hoover extended the clearance so his men were "unshackled" to look for evidence in any areas of King's life they deemed worthy.

The wire tapping continued through June 1966 and was revealed in 1968.

[link]

LBJ was no friend of the far left and the New Left in America was no friend to LBJ. Look at the list of those who claimed him as enemies below.

Johnson assailed "the bunch of commies" running The New York Times for their articles against the war effort.

<snip>

College students and others protested, burned draft cards, and chanted, "Hey, hey, LBJ, how many kids did you kill today?" Johnson could scarcely travel anywhere without facing protests, and was not allowed by the Secret Service to attend the 1968 Democratic National Convention, where thousands of hippies, yippies, Black Panthers and other opponents of Johnson's policies both in Vietnam and in the ghettos converged to protest.

[link]

The Great Society (1964-68) were programs announced by LBJ.

Gradually, liberal intellectuals crafted a new vision for achieving economic and social justice. The liberalism of the early 1960s contained no hint of radicalism, little disposition to revive new deal era crusades against concentrated economic power, and no intention to fan class passions or redistribute wealth or restructure existing institutions. Internationally it was strongly anti-Communist. It aimed to defend the free world, to encourage economic growth at home, and to ensure that the resulting plenty was fairly distributed. Their agenda-much influenced by Keynesian economic theory-envisioned massive public expenditure that would speed economic growth, thus providing the public resources to fund larger welfare, housing, health, and educational programs.
[link]

The New Left opposed LBJ. It can even be stated that Nixon won because both the right and the New Left opposed liberalism.

Liberalism came under attack from both the New Left in the early 1960s and the right in the late 1960s.

Kazin (1998) says, "The liberals who anxiously turned back the assault of the postwar Right wereconfronted in the 1960s by a very different adversary: a radical movement led, in the main, by their own children. The white New Left."

This new element, says Kazin, worked to "topple the corrupted liberal order." Indeed, as Maurice Isserman notes, the New Left" "came to use the word 'liberal' as a political epithet."

The attack was not confined to the United States, as the New Left was a worldwide movement with strength in parts of Western Europe as well as Japan. Massive demonstrations in France, for example, denounced American imperialism and its "helpers" in Western European governments.

The main activity of the New Left became Opposition to the U.S. involvement in the Vietnam War as conducted by liberal President Lyndon Johnson. The anti-war movement escalated the rhetorical heat, as violence broke out on both sides.

The climax came in sustained protests at the 1968 Democratic National Convention. Liberals fought back, with Zbigniew Brzezinski, chief foreign policy advisor of the 1968 Humphrey campaign saying...

the New Left "threatened American liberalism"

...in a manner reminiscent of McCarthyism. While the New Left considered Humphrey a war criminal, Nixon attacked him as the New Left's enabler—a man with "a personal attitude of indulgence and permissiveness toward the lawless." Beinart concludes that "with the country divided against itself, contempt for Hubert Humphrey was the one thing on which left and right could agree." After 1968, the New Left lost strength and the more serious attacks on liberalism came from the right. Nevertheless the liberal ideology lost its attractiveness. Liberal commentator E. J. Dionne contends that,

"If liberal ideology began to crumble intellectually in the 1960s it did so in part because the New Left represented a highly articulate and able wrecking crew."

[link]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Islamic terrorist groups have much more in common with Liberalism than they do with Conservatism. If you dealt with them on anything more than an (and I use this word very loosely here) academic capacity, you would know this. I have.

Tell me, other than the Islamic terrorists (which aren't right wing),

Islamic terrorists might or might not commit what they consider sin as individuals but the governments they support are fundamentalists units that abhor homosexuality, women's education, or cooperation with any who do not agree with them unless they are getting payed. Hypocritical, yes. Right-wing? Defintiely.

If you have proof that Islamic terrorists are liberals, provide it, if not could you at least give us your rationale?

One should not assume because the far-right wing in America opposes Islamic-extremists that they are not both conservatives.

Do you assume Hitler was not right-wing but a "liberal" because of the "socialist" in National Socialist?

what right wing groups have commited acts of violence?

Before I answer I should be up front.

Full disclosure: In the '90s I began to dabble heavily in conspiracy theories and feared the government taking over, entering my home through force, and locking us up in FEMA concentration camps.

I opposed cameras on the highways when they were first rolled out in 1995, opposed NAFTA, opposed the Clinton Crime Bills that seem targeted at patriots and those with anti-government sentiments including instilling the death penalty for acts that were not covered before such as blowing up bridges or train tracks even if no one died.

I opposed the UN, opposed the New World Order, sympathized with Spc. Michael New, and used to buy milita-related materials in the '90s at our alternative book store but I have never joined a militia myself or any other group which advocated violence toward our government.

I have legally purchased firearms during the Clinton-era and the Bush II-era including rifles, plenty of ammo, mostly in a 7.62x39 caliber but also rounds of different types for handguns, bought banana clips and bayonet attachments before the ban (1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban), and am no stranger to the shooting range including having a favorite one here in town.

I know FFL dealers, know how to shoot, where to aim: body mass, and in what situations I am allowed to use a firerarm on another: when in "fear of my life", in defense of another who could suffer grave bodily injury or worse, or under the castle doctrine, and in my state it is legal to shoot someone after dark to stop vandals or burglars if I cannot stop them another way to recover any stolen items or hold them liable to recoup the costs of any damage they caused...although I would never want to shoot anyone and would not shoot a running thief or vandal in the back over a property crime even if it is legal in this state.

I have been shot at in more than one situation and am no stranger to the CAC card but was never enlisted.

I also knew skinheads in the 1980s and early 1990s and am familiar with the 14 words to live by but I was never a skinhead.

Not, quite as old as other keep insisting, but whatever, won't mention it again.)

My position has evolved but I am no stranger to some elements of the right-wing.

Used to be pro-life and anti-choice but am pro-pro on both issues now (fuzzy I know, that is postmodernism) and have held quite a few other platforms of the right-wing.

I am a progressive now who advocates functionalism and believes in supporting our government even when I disagree with certain issues because I know the mechanisms of democracy are in place. Local politics are also important to me and my neighborhood and city have greatly improved.

Generally I favor cooperation in life and have largely abandoned the conflict theory which ironically was invented by Marx even if many in the right now hold that position, liberals too, but I am a progressive and not a liberal. There is a difference even if we can agree on many platforms and even progressives and liberals can agree on some of the same ends there is also a difference in the means to those ends.

what right wing groups have commited acts of violence?

We also have to discuss lone-wolf individuals with right-wing agendas or conservative outlooks. But OK, groups...

We won't discuss Ruby Ridge or Waco but their willingness to hold onto their guns and fight our government was there. (Personally, it was a raw deal, I sympathized with both the Weavers and the Branch Davidians, the government killed them it seems!)

So, does McVeigh, Nichols, and company count? Or just McVeigh and Nichols if you wish?

If not then let us skip past terror duos and focus on three-person cells or greater.

Terror From the Right: Plots, Conspiracies and Racist Rampages Since Oklahoma City

Below are 30+ right-wing generated incidents. Click the link below or above for the full list that includes lone-wolves and two-man operations. Most will be hidden in spoiler tags. The ones since 2010 will be displayed.

October 9, 1995

Saboteurs derail an Amtrak passenger train near Hyder, Ariz., killing one person and injuring about 70 others. Several antigovernment messages, signed by the "Sons of Gestapo," are left behind. The perpetrators remain at large.

November 9, 1995

Oklahoma Constitutional Militia leader Willie Ray Lampley, his wife Cecilia and another man, John Dare Baird, are arrested as they prepare explosives to bomb numerous targets, including the Southern Poverty Law Center, gay bars and abortion clinics. The three, along with another suspect arrested later, are sentenced to terms of up to 11 years in 1996. Cecilia Lampley is released in 2000, while Baird and Willie Lampley — who wrote letters from prison urging others to violence — are freed in 2004 and 2006, respectively.

January 18, 1996

Peter Kevin Langan, the pseudonymous "Commander Pedro" who leads the underground Aryan Republican Army, is arrested after a shootout with the FBI in Ohio. Along with six other suspects arrested around the same time, Langan is charged in connection with a string of 22 bank robberies in seven Midwestern states between 1994 and 1996. After pleading guilty and agreeing to testify, co-conspirator Richard Guthrie commits suicide in his cell. Two others, Kevin McCarthy and Scott Stedeford, enter plea bargains and do testify against their co-conspirators. Eventually, Mark Thomas, a leading neo-Nazi in Pennsylvania, pleads guilty for his role in helping organize the robberies and agrees to testify against Langan and other gang members. Shawn Kenny, another suspect, becomes a federal informant. Langan is sentenced to a life term in one case, plus 55 years in another. McCarthy is released from prison in 2007, while Stedeford's release date is set in 2022. Thomas receives eight years and is released in early 2004.

April 11, 1996

Antigovernment activist and self-described "survivalist" Ray Hamblin is charged with illegal possession of explosives after authorities find 460 pounds of the high explosive Tovex, 746 pounds of ANFO blasting agent and 15 homemade hand grenades on his property in Hood River, Ore. Hamblin is sentenced to almost four years in federal prison, and is released in March 2000.

April 26, 1996

Two leaders of the Militia-at-Large of the Republic of Georgia, Robert Edward Starr III and William James McCranie Jr., are charged with manufacturing shrapnel-packed pipe bombs for distribution to militia members. Later in the year, they are sentenced to terms of up to eight years. Another Militia-at-Large member, Troy Allen Kayser (alias Troy Spain), is arrested two weeks later and accused of training a team to assassinate politicians. Starr is released from prison in 2003, while McCranie gets out in 2001. Kayser, convicted of conspiracy, is released in early 2002.

July 1, 1996

Twelve members of an Arizona militia group called the Viper Team are arrested on federal conspiracy, weapons and explosive charges after allegedly surveilling and videotaping government buildings as potential targets. All 12 plead guilty or are convicted of various charges, drawing sentences of up to nine years in prison. The plot participants are all released in subsequent years. Gary Curds Baer, who drew the heaviest sentence after being found with 400 pounds of ammonium nitrate, a bomb component, is freed in May 2004.

July 29, 1996

Washington State Militia leader John Pitner and seven others are arrested on weapons and explosives charges in connection with a plot to build pipe bombs to resist a feared invasion by the United Nations. Pitner and four others are convicted on weapons charges, while conspiracy charges against all eight end in a mistrial. Pitner is later retried on that charge, convicted and sentenced to four years in prison. He is released in 2001.

October 8, 1996

Three "Phineas Priests" — racist and anti-Semitic Christian Identity terrorists who feel they've been called by God to undertake violent attacks — are charged in connection with two bank robberies and bombings at the two banks, a Spokane newspaper and a Planned Parenthood office. Charles Barbee, Robert Berry and Jay Merrell are eventually convicted and sentenced to life terms. Brian Ratigan, a fourth member of the group arrested separately, draws a 55-year term; he is scheduled for release in 2045.

October 11, 1996

Seven members of the Mountaineer Militia are arrested in a plot to blow up the FBI's national fingerprint records center, where 1,000 people work, in West Virginia. In 1998, leader Floyd "Ray" Looker is sentenced to 18 years in prison. He is released in June 2012. Two other defendants are sentenced on explosives charges and a third draws a year in prison for providing blueprints of the FBI facility to Looker, who then sold them to a government informant who was posing as a terrorist.

April 22, 1997

Three Ku Klux Klan members are arrested in a plot to blow up a natural gas refinery outside Fort Worth, Texas, after local Klan leader Robert Spence gets cold feet and goes to the FBI. The three, along with a fourth arrested later, expected to kill a huge number of people with the blast — authorities later say as many as 30,000 might have died — which was to serve, incredibly, as a diversion for a simultaneous armored car robbery. Among the victims would have been children at a nearby school. All four plead guilty to conspiracy charges and are sentenced to terms of up to 20 years. Spence enters the Witness Protection Program. Carl Jay Waskom Jr. is released in 2004, while Shawn and Catherine Adams, a couple, are freed in 2006. Edward Taylor Jr. is released in early 2007.

April 27, 1997

After a cache of explosives stored in a tree blows up near Yuba City, Calif., police arrest Montana Freemen supporter William Robert Goehler. Investigators looking into the blast arrest two Goehler associates, one of them a militia leader, after finding 500 pounds of explosives — enough to level three city blocks — in a motor home parked outside their residence. Six others are arrested on related charges. Goehler, with previous convictions for rape, burglary and assault, is sentenced to 25 years to life in prison. He is later accused of stabbing his attorney with a shank and charged with attacking prison psychologists.

May 3, 1997

Antigovernment extremists set fire to the IRS office in Colorado Springs, Colo., causing $2.5 million in damage and injuring a firefighter. Federal agents later arrest five men in connection with the arson, which is conceived as a protest against the tax system. Ringleader James Cleaver, former national director of the antigovernment Sons of Liberty group, is accused of threatening a witness and eventually sentenced to 33 years in prison, with a release date of 2030. Accomplice Jack Dowell receives 30 years and is scheduled to be freed in 2027. Both are ordered to pay $2.2 million in restitution. Dowell's cousin is acquitted of all charges, while two other suspects, Ronald Sherman and Thomas Shafer, plead guilty to perjury charges in connection with the case.

July 4, 1997

Militiaman Bradley Playford Glover and another heavily armed antigovernment activist are arrested before dawn near Fort Hood, in central Texas, just hours before they planned to invade the Army base and slaughter foreign troops they mistakenly believed were housed there. In the next few days, five other people are arrested in several states for their alleged roles in the plot to invade a series of military bases where the group believes United Nations forces are massing for an assault on Americans. All seven are part of a splinter group from the Third Continental Congress, a kind of militia government-in-waiting. In the end, Glover is sentenced to two years on Kansas weapons charges, to be followed by a five-year federal term in connection with the Fort Hood plot. The others draw lesser terms. Glover is released in 2003, the last of the seven to get out.

December 12, 1997

A federal grand jury in Arkansas indicts three men on racketeering charges for plotting to overthrow the government and create a whites-only Aryan People's Republic, which they intend to grow through polygamy. Chevie Kehoe, Daniel Lee and Faron Lovelace are accused of crimes in six states, including murder, kidnapping, robbery and conspiracy. Kehoe and Lee will also face state charges of murdering an Arkansas family, including an 8-year-old girl, in 1996. Kehoe ultimately receives a life sentence on that charge, while Lee is sentenced to death. Lovelace is sentenced to death for the murder of a suspected informant, but because of court rulings is later resentenced to life without parole. Kehoe's brother, Cheyne, is convicted of attempted murder during a 1997 Ohio shootout with police and sentenced to 24 years in prison, despite his helping authorities track down his fugitive brother in Utah after the shootout. Cheyne went to the authorities after Chevie began talking about murdering their parents and showing sexual interest in Cheyne's wife.

February 23, 1998

Three men with links to a Ku Klux Klan group are arrested near East St. Louis, Ill., on weapons charges. The three, along with three other men arrested later, formed a group called The New Order, patterned on a 1980s terror group called The Order (a.k.a. the Silent Brotherhood) that carried out assassinations and armored car heists. New Order members plotted to assassinate a federal judge and civil rights lawyer Morris Dees, blow up the Southern Poverty Law Center that Dees co-founded and other buildings, poison water supplies and rob banks. Wallace Weicherding, one of the men, came to a 1997 Dees speech with a concealed gun but turned back rather than pass through a metal detector. In the end, all six plead guilty or are convicted of weapons charges, drawing terms of up to seven years in federal prison. New Order leader Dennis McGiffen is released in 2004, the last of the six to regain his freedom.

March 18, 1998

Three members of the North American Militia of Southwestern Michigan are arrested on firearms and other charges. Prosecutors say the men conspired to bomb federal buildings, a Kalamazoo television station and an interstate highway interchange, kill federal agents, assassinate politicians and attack aircraft at a National Guard base — attacks that were all to be funded by marijuana sales. The group's leader, Ken Carter, is a self-described member of the neo-Nazi Aryan Nations. Carter pleads guilty, testifies against his former comrades, and is sentenced to five years in prison. The others, Randy Graham and Bradford Metcalf, go to trial and are ultimately handed sentences of 40 and 55 years, respectively. Carter is released from prison in 2002.

May 29, 1998

A day after stealing a water truck, three men shoot and kill a Cortez, Colo., police officer and wound two other officers as they try to stop the suspects during a road chase. After the gun battle, the three — Alan Monty Pilon, Robert Mason and Jason McVean — disappear into the canyons of the high desert. Mason is found a week later, dead of an apparently self-inflicted gunshot. The skeletal remains of Pilon are found in 1999 and show that he, too, died of a gunshot to the head, another apparent suicide. McVean is not found, but most authorities assume he died in the desert. Many officials believe the three men intended to use the water truck in some kind of terrorist attack, but the nature of their suspected plans is never learned.

July 1, 1998

Three men are charged with conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction after threatening President Clinton and other federal officials with biological weapons. Officials say the men planned to use a cactus thorn coated with a toxin like anthrax and fired by a modified butane lighter to carry out the murders. One man is acquitted of the charges, but Jack Abbot Grebe Jr., and Johnnie Wise — a 72-year-old man who attended meetings of the separatist Republic of Texas group —are sentenced to more than 24 years in prison. The men are set for release in 2019.

October 23, 1998

Dr. Barnett Slepian is assassinated by a sniper as he talks with his wife and children in the kitchen of their Amherst, N.Y., home. Identified as a suspect shortly after the murder, James Charles Kopp flees to Mexico, driven and disguised by friend Jennifer Rock, and goes on to hide out in Ireland and France. Two fellow anti-abortion extremists, Loretta Marra and Dennis Malvasi, make plans to help Kopp secretly return. Kopp, also suspected in the earlier sniper woundings of four physicians in Canada and upstate New York, is arrested in France as he picks up money wired by Marra and Malvasi. He eventually admits the shooting to a newspaper reporter — claiming that he only intended to wound Slepian — and is sentenced to life in prison plus 10 years. In 2003, Marra and Malvasi are sentenced to time served after pleading guilty to federal charges related to harboring a fugitive.

July 19, 2002

Federal and local law enforcement agents arrest North Carolina Klan leader Charles Robert Barefoot Jr. for his role in a plot to blow up the Johnson County Sheriff's Office, the sheriff himself and the county jail. Officers find more than two dozen weapons in Barefoot's home. They also find bombs and bomb components in the home of Barefoot's son, Daniel Barefoot, who is charged that same day with the arson of a school bus and an empty barn. The elder Barefoot — who broke away from the National Knights of the KKK several months earlier to form his own, harder-line group, the Nation's Knights of the KKK — is charged with weapons violations and later sentenced to more than two years. In 2003, Barefoot, his wife and three other men are charged with the 2001 murder of a former Klan member. In 2007, a judge rules Barefoot mentally incompetent to stand trial for murder and commits him indefinitely to a mental hospital. Sharon Barefoot is released from prison in July 2009. Charles Barefoot is ruled competent to stand trial in 2011 and, in September 2012, a jury convicts him on six felony counts, including conspiracy, possession of stolen guns and receipt of explosives with intent to kill.

August 22, 2002

Tampa area podiatrist Robert J. Goldstein is arrested after police, called by Goldstein's wife after he allegedly threatened to kill her, find more than 15 explosive devices in their home, along with materials to make at least 30 more. Also found are homemade C-4 plastic explosives, grenades and mines, a .50-caliber rifle, semi-automatic weapons, and a list of 50 Islamic worship centers in the area. The most significant discovery is a three-page plan detailing plans to "kill all ‘rags'" at the Islamic Society of Pinellas County. Eventually, two other local men are also charged in connection with the plot, and Goldstein's wife is arrested for possessing illegal destructive devices. Goldstein pleads guilty to plotting to blow up the Islamic Society and is sentenced to more than 12 years in federal prison, with a release date in 2013. His wife was released in 2006.

April 26, 2007

Five members of the Alabama Free Militia are arrested in north Alabama in a raid by federal and state law enforcement officers that uncovers a cache of 130 homemade hand grenades, an improvised grenade launcher, a Sten Mark submachine gun, a silencer, 2,500 rounds of ammunition and almost 100 marijuana plants. Raymond Kirk Dillard, the founder and "commander" of the group, pleads guilty to criminal conspiracy, illegally making and possessing destructive devices and being a felon in possession of a firearm. Other members of the group — Bonnell "Buster" Hughes, James Ray McElroy, Adam Lynn Cunningham and Randall Garrett — also plead guilty to related charges. Although Dillard, who complained about the collapse of the American economy, terrorist attacks and Mexicans taking over the country, reportedly told his troops to open fire on federal agents if ever confronted, no shots are fired during the April raid, and the "commander" even points out booby-trap tripwires on his property to investigators. Dillard and Garrett draw the harshest sentences, with releases scheduled for 2012 and 2018, respectively.

June 8, 2008

Six people, most of them tied to the militia movement, are arrested in rural north-central Pennsylvania after officials find stockpiles of assault rifles, improvised explosives and homemade weapons, at least some of them apparently intended for terrorist attacks on U.S. officials. Agents find 16 homemade bombs during a search of the residence of Pennsylvania Citizens Militia recruiter Bradley T. Kahle, who allegedly tells authorities that he intended to shoot black people from a rooftop in Pittsburgh and also predicts civil war if Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton are elected president. A raid on the property of Morgan Jones results in the seizure of 73 weapons, including a homemade flame thrower, a machine that supposedly shot bolts of electricity, and an improvised cannon. Also arrested and charged with weapons violations are Marvin E. Hall, his girlfriend Melissa Huet and Perry Landis. Landis, who is to be sentenced in late 2009, allegedly tells undercover agents he wanted to kill Gov. Ed Rendell. Hall is sentenced to more than two years.

August 24, 2008

White supremacists Shawn Robert Adolf, Tharin Robert Gartrell and Nathan D. Johnson are arrested in Denver during the Democratic National Convention on weapons charges and for possession of amphetamines. Although police say they talked about assassinating presidential candidate Barack Obama, they are not charged in connection with that threat because officials see their talk as drug-fueled boasting. Police report the three had high-powered, scoped rifles, wigs, camouflage clothing and a bulletproof vest, along with the crystal methamphetamine. Gartrell is released from prison in June 2009, while Johnson is to be freed in 2010. Adolf, who was already wanted on other charges, draws a longer sentence.

June 12, 2009

Shawna Forde — the executive director of Minutemen American Defense (MAD), an anti-immigrant vigilante group that conducts "citizen patrols" on the Arizona-Mexico border — is charged with two counts of first-degree murder for her alleged role in the slayings of a Latino man and his 9-year-old daughter in Arivaca, Ariz. Forde allegedly orchestrated the May 30 home invasion because she believed the man was a narcotics trafficker and wanted to steal drugs and cash to fund her group. Authorities say the murders, including the killing of the child, were part of the plan. Also arrested and charged with murder are the alleged triggerman, MAD Operations Director Jason Eugene "Gunny" Bush, and Albert Robert Gaxiola, 42, a local member of MAD. Authorities say that Bush had ties to the neo-Nazi Aryan Nations in Idaho, and that Forde has spoken of recruiting its members.

June 25, 2009

Longtime white supremacist Dennis Mahon and his brother Daniel are indicted in Arizona in connection with a mail bomb sent in 2004 to a diversity office in Scottsdale that injured three people. Mahon, formerly tied to the neo-Nazi White Aryan Resistance (WAR) group, allegedly left a phone message at the office saying that "the White Aryan Resistance is growing in Scottsdale. There's a few white people who are standing up." In a related raid, agents search the Indiana home of Tom Metzger, founder of WAR, but he is not arrested. On the same day, white supremacist Robert Joos is arrested in rural Missouri, apparently because phone records show that Dennis Mahon's first call after the mail bombing was to Joos' cell phone. Joos is charged with being a felon in possession of firearms and is sentenced in May 2010 to 6½ years in prison. Dennis Mahon is found guilty of three bombing charges in February 2012 and faces a maximum 60 years in prison and a $250,000 fine. Daniel Mahon is acquitted of the one charge against him.

March 27-28, 2010

Nine members of the Hutaree Militia are arrested in raids in Michigan, Ohio and Indiana and charged with seditious conspiracy and attempted use of weapons of mass destruction. The group, whose website said it was preparing for the imminent arrival of the anti-Christ, allegedly planned to murder a Michigan police officer, then use bombs and homemade missiles to kill other officers attending the funeral, all in a bid to set off a war with the government. Joshua Clough pleads guilty to a weapons charge in December 2011. A federal judge dismisses charges against seven members of the group during a trial in March 2012, saying their hatred of law enforcement did not amount to a conspiracy. Militia leader David Stone and his son Joshua Stone plead guilty to gun charges two days after the trial. In August 2012, a federal judge chooses not to send the Stones back to prison. They are each fined $100 and placed on two years’ supervision. Another member, Jacob Ward, awaits a separate trial.

March 10, 2011

Six members of the antigovernment Alaska Peacemakers Militia, including its leader, Francis Schaeffer Cox, 28, are arrested and charged with plotting to kill or kidnap state troopers and a Fairbanks judge. The group already has a large cache of weapons, including a .50-caliber machine gun, grenades and a grenade launcher. Cox earlier identified himself as a “sovereign citizen.” Cox is convicted in June 2012 on nine counts, including conspiring to kill a judge and law enforcement officials. He is sentenced in January 2013 to almost 26 years in federal prison. Lonnie Vernon, 56, and his wife, Karen, 66, plead guilty in August to charges they plotted to kill a federal judge and an IRS agent involved in a tax case against them. The Vernons are also sentenced in January 2013. Lonnie receives almost 25 years in federal prison while his wife receives 12 years. Another member, Coleman Barney, 38, is found guilty of weapons charges and sentenced in September 2012 to five years in federal prison.

May 14, 2011

Three masked men break into the Madrasah Islamiah, an Islamic center in Houston, and douse prayer rugs with gasoline in an apparent attempt to burn the center down. Images of the men are captured on surveillance cameras, but they are not identified. The fire is put out before doing major damage.

November 1, 2011

Four members of an unnamed North Georgia militia are arrested in an alleged plot to bomb federal buildings, attack cities including Atlanta with deadly ricin, and murder law enforcement officials. The men – Frederick Thomas, 73, Samuel J. Crump, 68, Dan Roberts, 67, and Ray H. Adams, 65 – allegedly discussed dispersing ricin powder in a series of cities, "taking out" a list of officials to "make the country right again," and scouting buildings in Atlanta to bomb. Authorities say the plot was inspired by an online novel, Absolved, written by longtime Alabama militiaman Mike Vanderboegh. Thomas, the accused ringleader, and Roberts plead guilty in April 2012 to charges of conspiring to possess explosives and firearms. Thomas and Roberts are each sentenced in August 2012 to five years in federal prison for conspiring to obtain an unregistered explosive device. Crump and Adams are awaiting trial.

December 10, 2011

Four soldiers, later identified as members of a militia-type group called Forever Enduring, Always Ready (FEAR), are arrested for murdering 19-year-old former soldier and group member Michael Roark and his 17-year-old girlfriend, Tiffany York, because they feared the pair would talk about the group’s plans. Officials say the group, based at Fort Stewart, Ga., planned to take over the Army base, assassinate President Obama and overthrow the government, and had spent $87,000 on guns and bomb parts. Group leader Pvt. Isaac Aguigui, 22, Sgt. Anthony Peden, 26, Pvt. Christopher Salmon, 25, and Pfc. Michael Burnett, 26, also allegedly discussed blowing up a dam and poisoning fruit crops in Washington state. Officials say Aguigui funded the group with a $500,000 insurance payment for the death of his pregnant wife. In 2012, seven more people are arrested in connection with the group’s activities; several accept plea bargains and agree to testify against their comrades. In April 2013, the Army charges Aguigui with killing his wife.

August 16, 2012

Seven people with ties to the antigovernment “sovereign citizens” movement allegedly ambush and murder Louisiana sheriff’s deputies Brandon Nielsen, 34, and Jeremy Triche, 27. The attack comes in a trailer park near New Orleans, where the deputies pursued suspects following the shooting and wounding of another deputy working as an off-duty security guard at an oil refinery. Those arrested include the group’s leader, Terry Lyn Smith, 44, Smith’s wife, Chanel Skains, and his sons, Derrik Smith and Brian Smith. Others are Brittany Keith, Kyle David Joekel and Teniecha Bright. Brian Smith is charged with first-degree murder and the others with related charges. The group, which traveled the country doing construction work, possess a stockpile of weapons. Its members have outstanding warrants in Nebraska, Tennessee and Louisiana.

Terror From the Right: Plots, Conspiracies and Racist Rampages Since Oklahoma City

As for the left, I don't need to go back to the 60s and 70s. I'll give you the "Occupy" Movement. While they claim that the violence and other various criminal activities were done by protestors not part of their group, they did nothing to stop it, nor did they let the police do their jobs to arrest those responsible. So, yes, the Occupy groups were responsible.

The Occupy Movement as terrorists? Well keep in mind the quote directly above (yours) takes into consideration the 99%-ers as noteworthy due to their insinuated (by you) involvement in "the violence and other various criminal activities" that surrounded the Occupy Movement protests.

Keep that in mind when comparing that to the list of 30+ right-wing groups and their actions which rise above the level of any 99%-related activity that I am presently aware of.

bamkers/globalist

The conspiracy theories against international bankers who are thought to be outsiders but infiltrating our government and destroying our country from within is an old one, it has an origin, it can be traced.

When the Catholic King and Queen took back Spain after the reconquista they gave Jews and others a choice: convert, leave, or die!

The Jews who converted became known as New Converts. The Spanish passed anti-Semitic laws not allowing them to have certain jobs. One of those was money handling, the Catholics thought it was beneath them.

Little did they know that banking, international banking, would grow in influence and have a huge impact on the economy. So this conspriacy theory, anti-Semitic in origin, was invented during the Inquisition, many in the Spanish government did not support the Inquisition which in part was about claiming the New Converts were heretics and taking away their money.

The same international banker conspiracy theory can be found in the movie Mississippi Burning being quoted by a KKK member.

The same conspiracy theory was also found in the militia-related literature I would come across in the alternative bookstore I used to visit in the '90s.

It is still around I see.

Conspiracy theories themselves also have a psychological component which if you are interested in why some hold conspiracy theories to begin with then read the following:

When does incredulity become paranoia?Radio personality and filmmaker Alex Jones believes an evil cabal of bankers rules the world.

By John Gartner, Ph.D., published on September 01, 2009 - last reviewed on January 13, 2012

Field Guide to the Conspiracy Theorist: Dark Minds

To say "we still have to move forward and address the mental health crisis including where it intersects with firearms" is idiotic...

This is where our conversation ends for the moment (re: the quote above where the gentleman states "is idiotic".)

Below are 30+ right-wing generated incidents. Click the link below or above for the full list that includes lone-wolves and two-man operations. Most will be hidden in spoiler tags. The ones since 2010 will be displayed.

The Occupy Movement as terrorists? Well keep in mind the quote directly above (yours) takes into consideration the 99%-ers as noteworthy due to their insinuated (by you) involvement in "the violence and other various criminal activities" that surrounded the Occupy Movement protests.

Keep that in mind when comparing that to the list of 30+ right-wing groups and their actions which rise above the level of any 99%-related activity that I am presently aware of.

Most of those groups you listed were arrested before any acts of violence occured, my request was COMMITTED acts of violence.

As far as "Occupy" goes, as well as everything else, I didn't use the term "terrorist", YOU did. I said groups on the left committing acts of violence. If you take terrorism from that, you really need to improve your comprehension skills.

Occupy was just one group I used, to be recent (because you wanted something more recent than the 60s-70s).

You want to use Waco and Ruby Ridge? Fine. Tell me exactly what they were planning to do that was a direct threat to the US? Nothing.

Ruby Ridge was basically over the sale of 2 sawed-off shotguns (that Weaver and others claim Weaver didn't saw off, it was the person who bought them - though the feds didn't care). That sparked a federal interest, which ultimately brought about the shoot out between the Weavers and the feds. The Weavers weren't plaaning any actions against the US Government, or anyone else. They were seperatists, all they wanted was to be left alone.

McVeigh's actions (as claimed by him) were partly a response to the government's illegal activity at Ruby Ridge. (not condoning his actions even if that is why he did it, just to be clear)

Oh, how's this for recent activity of the left...

That failed Operation Fast and Furious.

• Like 4

Terrorism now is from conservatives mainly, homegrown,

What the hell are you talking about? Terrorism is mainly from the federal government. There are little to no examples of real "conservative" terrorism.

The media has worked very hard to make people believe that folks who believe in the constitution are terrorist. I see you have no problem falling for these lies.

• Like 5

So, does McVeigh, Nichols, and company count? Or just McVeigh and Nichols if you wish?

No, at least not as right wing terrorists. OKC was a government false flag operation. There are all kinds of eyewitnesses saying they saw Mcviegh and others from the military the whole damn week crawling all over the building. Many of those eye witnesses have since had thier lives cut short.

• Like 1

The conspiracy theories against international bankers who are thought to be outsiders but infiltrating our government and destroying our country from within is an old one, it has an origin, it can be traced.

It most certainly can be traced. Cause it is a fact. The Federal reserve has more then proven that just over the last 6 years. Nevermind thier long history (banks in gerneral) of funding both sides of several wars in an attempt to create world government

• Like 1

This is where our conversation ends for the moment (re: the quote above where the gentleman states "is idiotic".)

I also stated the reason why, but you chose to ignore that part. Typical.