Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

This Day in History

Keel M.

Oops! My bad! I was in a hurry when I typed that. Second cousin 12x removed!

Had to double check my records real fast. We share the same grandfather, Thomas Howard, First Duke of Norfolk.

Anyway, it's complicated. LOL

Did you know that Ann's own uncle - Thomas Howard - was a member of the council that found her guilty of treason on 15th.May 1536? What it is to have a loving family!

Her old home, Hever Castle is just down the road from here. Lovely old place. It's said she still haunts it.

"Good Christian people, I am come hither to die, for according to the law, and by the law I am judged to die, and therefore I will speak nothing against it. I am come hither to accuse no man, nor to speak anything of that, whereof I am accused and condemned to die, but I pray God save the king and send him long to reign over you, for a gentler nor a more merciful prince was there never: and to me he was ever a good, a gentle and sovereign lord. And if any person will meddle of my cause, I require them to judge the best. And thus I take my leave of the world and of you all, and I heartily desire you all to pray for me. O Lord have mercy on me, to God I commend my soul."

(Ann's speech from the scaffold) Friday 19th.May 1536.

Oh and BTW, if ever you see a job advertisement for a Groom of the Stool, don't go applying for it - It's got nothing to do with milking cows!

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 2

Did you know that Ann's own uncle - Thomas Howard - was a member of the council that found her guilty of treason on 15th.May 1536? What it is to have a loving family!

I know, right! LOL

Her old home, Hever Castle is just down the road from here. Lovely old place. It's said she still haunts it.

"Good Christian people, I am come hither to die, for according to the law, and by the law I am judged to die, and therefore I will speak nothing against it. I am come hither to accuse no man, nor to speak anything of that, whereof I am accused and condemned to die, but I pray God save the king and send him long to reign over you, for a gentler nor a more merciful prince was there never: and to me he was ever a good, a gentle and sovereign lord. And if any person will meddle of my cause, I require them to judge the best. And thus I take my leave of the world and of you all, and I heartily desire you all to pray for me. O Lord have mercy on me, to God I commend my soul."

Oh and BTW, if ever you see a job advertisement for a Groom of the Stool, don't go applying for it - It's got nothing to do with milking cows!

I would LOVE to visit Hever Castle. You're sooo lucky.

The Groom of the Stool was the highest paid office in the land at the time though! Although I can understand WHY.... :w00t:

• Like 2

3rd.May

1802 - Washington, DC, was incorporated as a city.

1915 - In the Carpathian Mountains, a combined Austro-German force succeeded in defeating the Russian army near the Dunajec River.

1944 - Wartime rationing of most grades of meats ended in the U.S.

I believe that if I was about to get my head chopped off, my farewell speech would have been longer, much much less favorable to Henry and a lot less printable!

• Like 1

I believe that if I was about to get my head chopped off, my farewell speech would have been longer, much much less favorable to Henry and a lot less printable!

I know what you mean!

But back then, if you said anything bad about the Monarch on the scaffold, the crown could take away all your families possessions and house and land.

• Like 1

today is Star Wars day.

May the 4th be with you.

always.

Edited by shrooma
  • Like 1

5th.May 1945 - A Japanese balloon bomb exploded on Gearhart Mountain in Oregon. A pregnant woman and five children were killed.

• Like 2

5th.May 1945 - A Japanese balloon bomb exploded on Gearhart Mountain in Oregon. A pregnant woman and five children were killed.

The Japanese thought that with a sustained (and inexpensive) balloon bombardment of the western US that they could sow panic... They apparently had little concept of the vastness of the American West and the relative sparseness of the population... The woman and her children were the only people killed and that balloon was the only one that came within miles of damaging anything other than a few trees and insects....

I was stationed in Japan - and when I got there it was described to me this way... If you take all the Japanese Islands and squish them together, they are about the size of the state of Montana (more or less)... and because of mountains (and etc), they can only live on about 1/16th of it- which is the size of New Jersey... and they have half the population of the US....

We made some good Japanese friends and they later came over to visit, while I was stationed in Texas... We took them to see some sights including Carlsbad Caverns... As we were driving out in West Texas, the lady suddenly started saying "Stop The Car! Stop The Car!".... I thought she might be getting sick, so I pulled over... She got out and started taking pictures of the vast flat desert of West Texas like crazy... I thought she might be a bit nuts but then I saw a billboard... "This space reserved for the US Population Explosion."... :lol:

She explained that she had never seen so much land without buildings on it... Until then she really had no idea just how HUGE the US is...

• Like 2

The woman and her children were the only people killed and that balloon was the only one that came within miles of damaging anything other than a few trees and insects....

Even then, it didn't actually drop on them. They found it in the undergrowth and tried to pull it out. In total, about 9,000 balloons were released over a period of several months, and about 1,000 actually reached the US/Canadian mainland.

The United States government went to extraordinary lengths to keep information on the Japanese balloon bombs out of the media. The United States knew that Japan could only measure its success based on media reports. And giving them that type of intelligence information could cause them to refine the balloons to be more accurate and deadly. Even today, few Americans know much about the 'Fu-Go' bombs.

• Like 2

7th.May

1915 - A German submarine sank the British ocean liner Lusitania. Of the almost 2,000 passengers, 1,201 civilians were killed.

1937 - The German Condor Legion arrived in Spain to assist Franco’s forces.

1940 - Winston Churchill became British Prime Minister.

1945 - Germany signed an unconditional surrender ending World War II. It would take effect the next day.

(Another busy day!)

• Like 2

Even then, it didn't actually drop on them. They found it in the undergrowth and tried to pull it out. In total, about 9,000 balloons were released over a period of several months, and about 1,000 actually reached the US/Canadian mainland.

The United States government went to extraordinary lengths to keep information on the Japanese balloon bombs out of the media. The United States knew that Japan could only measure its success based on media reports. And giving them that type of intelligence information could cause them to refine the balloons to be more accurate and deadly. Even today, few Americans know much about the 'Fu-Go' bombs.

Led Zeppelin ? sorry mate couldn't resist it,cheers.
  • Like 1

May 8, 1794 – The Reign of Terror: Branded a traitor, French chemist Antoine Lavoisier (pictured), a former royal tax collector with the Ferme Générale, was tried, convicted, and guillotined on the same day.

• Like 2

8th.May

1450 - Jack Cade's Rebellion. Kentishmen revolted against King Henry VI.

1884 - Harry S.Truman was born.

• Like 1

May 8, 1794 – The Reign of Terror: Branded a traitor, French chemist Antoine Lavoisier (pictured), a former royal tax collector with the Ferme Générale, was tried, convicted, and guillotined on the same day.

Ealdwita snippet alert.......

Lavoisier was the man who discovered oxygen. (He didn't need much after 8th.May though!)

• Like 1

Lavoisier was the man who discovered oxygen. (He didn't need much after 8th.May though!)

I always kind of wondered if the guy who discovered oxygen could have gotten a patent on it... just think how rich they would have been... every breath taken.. "Oh.. You owe me a penny!" :)

Edited by Taun
  • Like 1

I always kind of wondered if the guy who discovered oxygen could have gotten a patent on it... just think how rich they would have been... every breath taken.. "Oh.. You owe me a penny!" :)

HM Government are probably conducting a feasability study as we speak. (They've taxed just about everything else!)

• Like 2

9th.May

1429 - Joan of Arc defeated the besieging English at Orleans. (And before all you anti-Brits out there start cheering, let's not forget the fact that it took a gurl to achieve something that all those pompous, puffed-up French Marshals and Generals hadn't been able to do for almost 400 years! - So there!)

s12579.gif

1671 - Thomas "Captain" Blood stole the crown jewels from the Tower of London.

(and most importantly).......1785 - Joseph Bramah patented the beer-pump handle.

• Like 4

9th.May

1429 - Joan of Arc defeated the besieging English at Orleans. (And before all you anti-Brits out there start cheering, let's not forget the fact that it took a gurl to achieve something that all those pompous, puffed-up French Marshals and Generals hadn't been able to do for almost 400 years! - So there!)

s12579.gif

(and most importantly).......1785 - Joseph Bramah patented the beer-pump handle.

Three cheers for Joseph Bramah!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

• Like 3

9th.May

s12579.gif

Just a quick question, why hasn't your avatar helmet got a badge on it denoting whose side you're on ? If I met that in the dark I'd be off pretty damn rapido.hee hee.
  • Like 2

Lavoisier was the man who discovered oxygen.

thank the gods they gave the credit to joseph priestley though, he was born in my home town!

(and he also went on to become one of the founding fathers too!)

:-)

• Like 2

10th.May

1773 - The English Parliament passed the Tea Act, which taxed all tea in the US colonies.

1857 - The Seepoys of India revolted against the British Army.

(Today was not a good day in the Colonies!)

1838 - John Wilkes Booth was born

1871 - The Treaty of Frankfurt was signed, ending the Franco-Prussian War

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 2

12th.May

1780 - Charleston, South Carolina fell to British forces.

1812 - The poet, Edward Lear was born. ("Twas brillig and the slythy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe")

1932 - The infant body of Charles and Anna Lindbergh's son was found just a few miles from the Lindbergh home near Hopewell, NJ.

1943 - The Axis forces in North Africa surrendered during World War II.

13th.May

1607 - Jamestown, Virginia, was settled as a colony of England.

1861 - Britain declared its neutrality in the American Civil War. (Obviously, Tony Teflon Bliar wasn't involved!)

1912 - Royal Flying Corps was established in England.

1981 - Pope John Paul II was shot and seriously wounded in St. Peter's Square by Turkish assailant Mehmet Ali Agca. (At almost exactly the same moment as my youngest daughter Suki was born!) ....I checked for the 666 mark BTW, and she didn't have one.

1981 - Pope John Paul II was shot and seriously wounded in St. Peter's Square by Turkish assailant Mehmet Ali Agca. (At almost exactly the same moment as my youngest daughter Suki was born!) ....I checked for the 666 mark BTW, and she didn't have one.

Ha Ha, that's pretty funny.

The day my son was born, a bunch of birds fell DEAD out of the sky... :no:

• Like 2

16 May 1866 – The United States Congress authorized the minting of the country's first copper-nickel five-cent piece, the Shield nickel.