Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Airfix Models

Mr.United_Nations

Hi guys Im a keen model builder on plastic kits, military is the main area im working on. I use models by Airfix currently and have about 10 kits at home, some not started and not finished.

Here im going to post my building of a Eurofighter Typhoon which i got as a free gift, it also came with a Spitfire and stand.

431929_10151700068327013_1056921573_n.jpg

936213_10151700069727013_1113244678_n.jpg

482562_10151700072347013_1211766531_n.jpg

936724_10151700076592013_1468996340_n.jpg

As you can see the main model is nearly done but i need to work on the underside of the aircraft.

It is an easy build because the parts are bigger but the decals will take time....110!!!! of them!! some tiny ones where you cant even read the writing on some of them.

so thats me so far.

Whats your models?

I made a couple of these when I was in school, one of them was a Spitfire, I can't remember what the other was.

Fiddly things to put together but satisfying as all hell. :)

I use to be very hyper active and a doctor proscribed building sailing ship models... I must have started building a dozen or so before I finally calmed down and actually finished all the details on one... Actually cured the worst of my hyperactivity...

Airfix does have a good line of models, as does Tamiya...

Great! I used to build model cars as a kid, my brother liked model airplanes. I spent many happy hours as a youngster putting them together. Haven't built any for years, mainly because I can't find any models anymore in the stores where I live. Back in the day they were very popular with kids. I'm sure hobby shops still have them, though.

I made a couple of these when I was in school, one of them was a Spitfire, I can't remember what the other was.

Fiddly things to put together but satisfying as all hell. :)

When was this? must be some time ago?

yeah they are but unless you get it wrong, its uh oh lol

I use to be very hyper active and a doctor proscribed building sailing ship models... I must have started building a dozen or so before I finally calmed down and actually finished all the details on one... Actually cured the worst of my hyperactivity...

Airfix does have a good line of models, as does Tamiya...

thats a pretty good solution as it gets you thinking and there is no rush aswell.

I don't buy Tamiya i find those a bit pricey and a bit large for my liking.

Infact all of my models are airfix but the paints are Revell and Humbrol, Revell is better i think.

• Like 1

Great! I used to build model cars as a kid, my brother liked model airplanes. I spent many happy hours as a youngster putting them together. Haven't built any for years, mainly because I can't find any models anymore in the stores where I live. Back in the day they were very popular with kids. I'm sure hobby shops still have them, though.

Yeah its a shame that modern technology and video games that kids tend to get bored or frustrated when they try and build models. But models are slowly making a comeback i think and thats with Airfix as they do package deals to schools and groups.

Where do you live?

I get my models in Portsmouth city centre as its the only place where i can get deals. Then there is hobbycraft which have models but not many choice though

Very cool

I used to have quite a few when I was growing up. Me and my Dad did them together. I hung them from the ceiling with fishing line, all in different positions......Good times.

Not to long ago, I went a step further.....RC Planes, now that is fun, but can get $$$$

Thanks for sharing, brought me back some good memories.

Got boxes of built and unmade kits in the attic, only room to display a few in the home now. Subjects mainly aircraft and then the various sci-fi franchise offerings, also did a few customizations and scratchbuilds. Favourite kit probably the Airfix Millennium Falcon; favourite futurized (at the time) customization Sea Harrier FSR2; favourite scratchbuilds Liberator and Scorpio from Blakes 7.

Amazed at price of kits in the shops now!

EDIT: Found a pic of Scorpio

post-28757-0-23749500-1368135531_thumb.j

Edited by Oppono Astos

Found some (scanned) pics of Millennium Falcon and Liberator

post-28757-0-60203400-1368186597_thumb.j

post-28757-0-55879000-1368186629_thumb.j

I use to make diorama's and really enjoyed that, unfortunately it takes up a lot of space...

Very cool

I used to have quite a few when I was growing up. Me and my Dad did them together. I hung them from the ceiling with fishing line, all in different positions......Good times.

Not to long ago, I went a step further.....RC Planes, now that is fun, but can get $$$$

Thanks for sharing, brought me back some good memories.

I like RC planes but yeas it is pricey

Edited by The New Richard Nixon

Got boxes of built and unmade kits in the attic, only room to display a few in the home now. Subjects mainly aircraft and then the various sci-fi franchise offerings, also did a few customizations and scratchbuilds. Favourite kit probably the Airfix Millennium Falcon; favourite futurized (at the time) customization Sea Harrier FSR2; favourite scratchbuilds Liberator and Scorpio from Blakes 7.

Amazed at price of kits in the shops now!

EDIT: Found a pic of Scorpio

post-28757-0-23749500-1368135531_thumb.j

by any chance did you build the alien ship from Independence day?

My brother when he was younger used get the space marines, got one of them in the house

Found some (scanned) pics of Millennium Falcon and Liberator

post-28757-0-60203400-1368186597_thumb.j

post-28757-0-55879000-1368186629_thumb.j

how big were they?? and how did u do the background?

I use to make diorama's and really enjoyed that, unfortunately it takes up a lot of space...

They do and alot of time and work.

you got any pics?