Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jogger 'mauled to death' by four pit bulls

Still Waters

A female jogger has died after being attacked by four pit bulls in Los Angeles.

Pamela Devitt, 62, died from her wounds on the way to hospital.

Authorities are warning people in Littlerock, about 40 miles (65km) northeast of the city of Los Angeles to be on the lookout for four pit bulls - they have seized several dogs in a search for those who may have taken part in the attack.

http://www.dailymail...os-Angeles.html

• Like 1

Ugh. What a way to go... :unsure2:

• Like 1

Poor woman, hope they find the dogs responsible because they will probably do it again.

People need to stop dumping dogs. If you don't want a bunch of pups get your dog fixed.

• Like 2

Poor woman, hope they find the dogs responsible because they will probably do it again.

People need to stop dumping dogs. If you don't want a bunch of pups get your dog fixed.

I know. We live out here in the country, and for some reason people love to dump off dogs on our country roads. :no:

I have no problem with destroying all pit-bulls in the country and banning them moving forward.

• Like 2

Oh that is horrible, that poor woman!

Here in the UK, Pit Bulls are banned as part of the dangerous dogs act. I know people question the Staffordshire Bull Terrier too. Personally I have only ever been attacked by one dog and it was a Staffy. However, I also have friends who have Staffies who seem very soft and gentle.

I guess at the end of the day, dogs are animals. They can be unpredictable and descend from wolves. Any dog can bite or attack, I guess with "bull" type dogs, they are just so strong with powerful jaws that the results can be fatal.

I would never leave my kids unattended with any dog, even my sisters mini Yorkshire Terrier. They are animals and don't always react how we expect them to.

• Like 1

I would enjoy seeing the pictures of these "pitbulls." Colorado went through a spat of "pit bull" attacks and come to find out, these "vicious attacking pit's" were actually all a different breed. One case was Boxers, One was American Bull Dogs, and the others were simply muts that looked NOTHING like pit bulls. However, the minute someone is attacked and the dog has the SLIGHTEST resemblance of a "pit" they are deemed a pit bull.

I've bread, and raised pit bulls my entire life, and am wanting to buy another set here shortly as I've missed the company of these amazingly smart, talented, most loyal and gentle dogs I've ever seen. Statistical fact, more dog bites happen by Golden Retrievers than by Pit Bulls 10:1. That number raises extremely high when it comes to even smaller breeds.

• Like 2

, more dog bites happen by Golden Retrievers than by Pit Bulls 10:1. That number raises extremely high when it comes to even smaller breeds.

may be, however if you compare damage they do, when they attack, the ratio will be diferent.

I have no problem with destroying all pit-bulls in the country and banning them moving forward.

should we also let you destroy our guns too?? and ban them while you there??

me myself and many ppl i know would have lots of problems with it.

however i would have no problems making owners responsible for damage their dogs did, as if the damage was done by the owners themselves. your dogs killed someone, see you in 25 years.

• Like 1

may be, however if you compare damage they do, when they attack, the ratio will be diferent.

should we also let you destroy our guns too?? and ban them while you there??

me myself and many ppl i know would have lots of problems with it.

however i would have no problems making owners responsible for damage their dogs did, as if the damage was done by the owners themselves. your dogs killed someone, see you in 25 years.

Why would I want to ban guns? My guns have never bitten anyone...

• Like 2

No doubt these were owned/once owned by some "gangsta" in an attempt to look hard. Which is pretty much always the case.

Edited by Orcseeker

I'd ban owners who abandon animals like that personally. And I'm not a "pet person".

• Like 3

Every dog is capable of this, after all they are predatory animals. We have just domesticated them.

The Pitbull can be the nicest and kindest and most gentlest dog you can have. I have met many Pit Bulls that all they want to do is get love and affection.

You can either raise a nice dog, or you can raise an angry dog. It's up to the owner. However if it is a roving pack of feral dogs, that's another story.

• Like 4

Why would I want to ban guns? My guns have never bitten anyone...

but other's guns killed someone,

btw my pitbull never bit anyone either

Edited by aztek

but other's guns killed someone,

btw my pitbull never bit anyone either

How many other dogs has your pit bull bit? Be honest.

Statistical fact, more dog bites happen by Golden Retrievers than by Pit Bulls 10:1. That number raises extremely high when it comes to even smaller breeds.

Aww c'mon... you cannot compare between a Golden Retriever bite and a pit bull. Yes, the chances of being bitten by a retriever may be 10 times more likely than by a pit bull..... but if you were comparing number of people killed by dogs, or seriously injured to the point of needing plastic surgery then I expect that number would be far far higher for pit bulls.

I'm certainly not against pit bulls or any breed, I just see that kind of argument used all the time when it comes to pit bulls. But lets be honest, if you had a choice of being attacked by an angry pit bull or an angry retriever (or smaller snappier dog), which would you pick? I know which I would rather take my chances with!

For the earlier poster to suggest they should all be destroyed, that is just crazy! Even if a pit bull has the potential to cause serious injury, odds that it will are still very slim. Humans attack each other all the time but we'd be in trouble if everyone was judged based on those few!

Personally I would like to see more responsibility put on the owners. Here in the UK, young "chav" teenagers buy Staffordshire Bulls to look hard. They bring the dog up to be aggressive. I think people should have to be 21 yrs to own that kind of dog. Might sound stupid but think it would sort out some of this owning them to look tough. I think it should be law to licence your dog and you should have compulsory insurance (again, a put off to the chavs who aren't willing to put any effort in to their dogs).

Also some kind of basic training should be compulsory for owner, to make sure they are suitable. And breeding of dogs should be more regulated.

Unfortunately in this country the powers that be don't seem to think any of this is greatly important so this would never happen. So dogs won't be trained properly, people will get attacked and even killed, and the dogs will be put down. I don't see this changing any time soon :(

• Like 1

There is no win here. I would be against banning pitbulls for the simple reason that so many folks loving and well cared for pets would receive a death sentence in the process. However, I think they should be registered and unless someone is a licenced breeder they should be spayed by law. I think all domestics pets should be spayed in fact as a matter of course. It is the most humane solution for the animal and it's potential offspring.

• Like 5

How many other dogs has your pit bull bit? Be honest.

I like how you just avoided the "but other's guns killed someone" line.

So if pitbull's can kill people why not ban and destroy guns? They can kill people as well.

• Like 1

So if pitbull's can kill people why not ban and destroy guns? They can kill people as well.

Canines and cats eat meat, they were born to hunt, thats natural but the pitbulls might of been mistreated

there are plenty of gun threads here. let's not derail this thread.

• Like 2

For the earlier poster to suggest they should all be destroyed, that is just crazy! Even if a pit bull has the potential to cause serious injury, odds that it will are still very slim. Humans attack each other all the time but we'd be in trouble if everyone was judged based on those few!

Okay, it's not like I suggested destroying all lions, or hippos, even though they are also dangerous and deadly to humans. Pit Bulls are a completely different story. They were created by man. Let's admit that we made a mistake by breeding these dogs, eliminate them all and move on...

• Like 1

Man-created ' a vicious , fighting machine that is so screwed around with, that really they are retarded. No real sense of any intelligence , just instincts "tuned" to aggressive behaviour.

Now if you have a nice gentle loving smart pit bull, good for you, but they are a "Frankenstein" breed of dog. They are all jaw and teeth with alot of muscle for heads, not much room for brains up there and the only purpose for humans to breed dogs like this, was to fight. Mince meat makers , is what we call them.

• Like 1

They need to regulate these dogs and have their owners become licensed and take out insurance policies on them before they can own one.

• Like 1

Man-created ' a vicious , fighting machine that is so screwed around with, that really they are retarded. No real sense of any intelligence , just instincts "tuned" to aggressive behaviour.

Now if you have a nice gentle loving smart pit bull, good for you, but they are a "Frankenstein" breed of dog. They are all jaw and teeth with alot of muscle for heads, not much room for brains up there and the only purpose for humans to breed dogs like this, was to fight. Mince meat makers , is what we call them.

With proper socialization as pups they can prove to be rather intelligent. The above seems to be stereotyping. Intelligence for dogs is in terms of if they can be trained and how fast they will obey commands.

Guess what else? Most dog breeds are made by men from various other breeds. Some were made to be hunters, some sniffers, some to be social, etc...

The Frakenstein comment should not be soley reserved for any of the breeds that fall under the pit bull umbrella.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!