Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UN urges people to eat insects

Still Waters

I prefer people jsut to be honest and admit it's cause they want to and enjoy it.

sausage, spam, egg, & black pudding sarnie coffey, what's not to love about that??

*covers ears to blank out retching sounds coming from the board*

:-D

• Like 1

starseed, have you ever TRIED eating an insect??

i'm more than certain that if you'd been dropped in the middle of darfur and hadn't eaten for ten days, grasshoppers on sticks would look VERY appetizing.....

• Like 1

We still don't need meat, that is a proven fact. otherwise thousands of people would be ill or dead right now. Instead they are above average health.

If we had been herbivores, our guts would have been meters longer than they are now.

And they are not, so we are NOT herbivores.

We are omnivores: we humans eat anything that's too slow to run away.

Sentiments about animal suffering came much later.

And only in the Western society.

Does that mean we Westerners have evolved to a superior level?

No, we just lost the guts to kill an animal all by ourselves. We are spoiled.

=

Vegans are NOT above average health, they are far below it. Those who follow a vegan diet will regret it when they get older.

Vegetarians, that's another thing.

Sure people can survive on fruits and nuts, but people don't only want to survive sometimes. We want joy and more joy and more and more and more. Sometimes I think it would be better to live in a cabin in the woods without all of this things. But in the end, I won't, because I'm used to all of this.

lol, now you are reminding me of that at&t commercial with the little kids:

Man: Who thinks more is better than less? Okay, why?

Girl: More is better than less because if stuff is not less... if there's more less stuff then you might, you might want to have some more and your parents just don't let you because there's only a little.

Man: Right.

Girl: We want more. We want more. Like, you really like it. You want more.

Man: I follow you.

Lol, but it's true, joy is the drug we constantly chase.

Edited by Lava_Lady
  • Like 2

Haha, i miss bacon the most. But I will never go back.

mmmmmm.... bacon...... What is it about bacon that makes it so freakin delicious? Even just the scent of it cooking can bring mortal endnotes together, if just for awhile. :)

• Like 4

mmmmmm.... bacon...... What is it about bacon that makes it so freakin delicious? Even just the scent of it cooking can bring mortal endnotes together, if just for awhile. :)

I suspect it's Umami

"umami taste is common to foods that contain high levels of L-glutamate, IMP and GMP, most notably in fish, shellfish, cured meats, mushrooms, vegetables (e.g., ripe tomatoes, Chinese cabbage, spinach, celery, etc.) or green tea, and fermented and aged products"

• Like 1

It may sound weird, but the more I watch those videos of people preparing and eating insects, the more I think I should at least try it out. But maybe I shouldn't watch those videos when I'm hungry, lol.

When you go to Youtube, and enter 'vegan diet' you get videos with all kinds of reports about the vegan diet not being that healthy.

AliveInDeath7, from what I learned and experienced, the vegetarian diet isn't that bad..... for a while.

I don't think the vegan diet is as healthy as those that are able to consume products of animals.. unless they are getting the appropriate nutrients they need.

Vegan diets tend to be rather expensive as well.

Yes for a while. I would gladly go back to being vegetarian, but it's hard in a house-full of carnivores. I decided to really go back when I was faced with buffalo wings.. My resistance died at that moment.

• Like 1

It tells you in the link -

The ammonia emissions associated with insect-rearing are far lower than those linked to conventional livestock such as pigs, says the report.

So they expect the entire western world to stop eating chicken beef and pork ?

Really ?

So now,open horse meat factories ,and tell us to eat bugs.

Sounds like the gmo agenda for meats .

Aka ,dear general public ,please eat this crap,so the rest of us "special people" can eat organically grown vegg and meats .

Edited by Simbi Laveau

Mortal endnotes???

what the hell... I`m starting to think my phone is not as smart as it was made out to be... either it`s rather dumb or is trying to sabotage my online presence, confusing people...

• Like 2

I suspect it's Umami

"umami taste is common to foods that contain high levels of L-glutamate, IMP and GMP, most notably in fish, shellfish, cured meats, mushrooms, vegetables (e.g., ripe tomatoes, Chinese cabbage, spinach, celery, etc.) or green tea, and fermented and aged products"

Is that the mysterious 5th flavor described by the Japanese?

I think there is sweet, salty, sour, savory... or is it bitter? I don`t know what I`m talking about right now... I am so hungry!!

going to the grocers....

• Like 2

Completely false. Your breath would be enough to scare off any insect that came close to your mouth. Quite a powerful blast to a little insect.

I agree that it could be justified for survival if absolutely necessary. After all, that's what wild meat eaters do. They don't kill for the sake of it, they kill because they have nothing else that their digestive system will process but meat. Funny how some people talk like we're above animals when they're much more humane than we are at killing.

I think if aliens ever came across our planet, they'd be disgusted. The very thought of farming animals whose sole purpose of being alive (in appalling conditions for most) is to feed a selfish, ever more obese population of another animal sickens me. The problem is people think chickens, cows etc are somehow inferior to even domesticated animals like cats or dogs. We hear about Chinese eating dogs and we lecture. But it's okay to slaughter the chickens, cows, pigs and everything else we can get our hands on.

Can you say hypocrisy?

Oh, please. Vegetables come from members of the plant kingdom, which are living being as well. If you're going into tree-hugging-hippie-mode and attacking meat eaters for eating other living beings or treating them differently, then you're being a hypocrite since you're doing exactly the same with plants. Newsflash: if we weren't meant to eat meat, then we wouldn't be omnivore.

Don't think I could stand eating a insect. If I'm in a restaurant and there's a roach in my food I'm sending it back.

Assuming you're not a vegetarian...difference between an insect and a chicken? Both living things.

Difference between a chicken and a plant? Both living things.

Edited by Der
  • Like 1

That we will have to find out, and you cannot predict what evolution holds in store for us.

If the point of this latest discussion is about having respect for living beings and for what you eat, I say I agree. No animals should be tortured before they get slaughtered. I'm also against slitting a goat's or sheep's throat like religious Jews and Muslims do.

Br. Cornelius example of the Hindu diet is not very convincing because many Hindu groups interpret the dietary laws differently as you can read in my former post.

You have selected exceptions to the Hindu dietary regime to attempt to disprove the general point. Hindhuism comprises of many 100's if not thousands of variants tailored to local conditions, none adherence to a strict vegetaruian diet is very likely in many of the local varients - but it is not the general rule. The general point is that most Hindu's, and especially the Brahmin caste, have strict vegetarian diets. On top of this many Buddists and Janes also have much stricter Vegetarian diets and have had them for thousands of years. The dietary laws are layed down in sacred scripture so we can be certain that this regime has existed for thousands of years.

Br Cornelius

If we had been herbivores, our guts would have been meters longer than they are now.

=

Vegans are NOT above average health, they are far below it. Those who follow a vegan diet will regret it when they get older.

Again this is not true, a substantial range of people outside of western society are ethically driven vegetarians and I would point you to India in particular to disprove your point.

I generally respect what you have to say, but on this you are peddling some very biased and misinformed positions.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

Again this is not true, a substantial range of people outside of western society are ethically driven vegetarians and I would point you to India in particular to disprove your point.

I generally respect what you have to say, but on this you are peddling some very biased and misinformed positions.

Br Cornelius

I know you pointed to India, but maybe you didn't read my post in reply to your post. Many people in India may call themselves vegetarians, but many of them have a broad interpretation of being vegetarian, meaning some eat meat, fish, and/or fowl.

+++

EDIT:

Sorry, I didn't read your former post.

Edited by Abramelin

You have selected exceptions to the Hindu dietary regime to attempt to disprove the general point. Hindhuism comprises of many 100's if not thousands of variants tailored to local conditions, none adherence to a strict vegetaruian diet is very likely in many of the local varients - but it is not the general rule. The general point is that most Hindu's, and especially the Brahmin caste, have strict vegetarian diets. On top of this many Buddists and Janes also have much stricter Vegetarian diets and have had them for thousands of years. The dietary laws are layed down in sacred scripture so we can be certain that this regime has existed for thousands of years.

Br Cornelius

It appears to be a bit more complicated:

According to the 2006 Hindu-CNN-IBN State of the Nation Survey, 31% of Indians are vegetarians, while another 9% consumes eggs. Among the various communities, vegetarianism was most common among Jain community and then Brahmins at 55%, and less frequent among Muslims (3%) and residents of coastal states. Other surveys cited by FAO and USDA estimate 20%–42% of the Indian population as being vegetarian. These surveys indicate that even Indians who do eat meat, do so infrequently, with less than 30% consuming it regularly, although the reasons are mainly cultural and partially economical. A large percentage of infrequent meat eaters do so when they are eating out and would never cook in their houses. This leads to controversies when meat eaters are denied apartments where vegetarians are major occupants, often interpreted as religious discrimination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarianism_by_country

=

Didn't say we are herbivores. I said we don't NEED meat which is a huge difference and saying Vegans will regret it when they are older is your opinion only and based on NOTHING.

Oh my god, look how much this 70 year old is regretting being Vegan:

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q-0o7eAi50[/media]

Poor woman she is really suffering. lmfao

I don't think the vegan diet is as healthy as those that are able to consume products of animals.. unless they are getting the appropriate nutrients they need.

Vegan diets tend to be rather expensive as well.

Yes for a while. I would gladly go back to being vegetarian, but it's hard in a house-full of carnivores. I decided to really go back when I was faced with buffalo wings.. My resistance died at that moment.

Video above proves otherwise. Except your point about expense, that part is completely true. Something I find disgusting to be honest. Organic fruit and veg etc should not cost as much as it does.

Edited by Coffey

that's nasty people eating insects and all.like i aid don't consume animals this includes animal products and etc alike.i highly advice don't eat them for various reasons.anyway while its true they reproduce quickly still people.make up your own damn mind and wake up to the truth.for example if the U.N told you jump off a cliff or building would you follow them and actually one people are really that dumb and etc to do it.don't eat insects its a trap!

Go tell the animals that eat insects I am sure they will disagree with you

Didn't say we are herbivores. I said we don't NEED meat which is a huge difference and saying Vegans will regret it when they are older is your opinion only and based on NOTHING.

Oh my god, look how much this 70 year old is regretting being Vegan:

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q-0o7eAi50[/media]

Poor woman she is really suffering. lmfao

Video above proves otherwise. Except your point about expense, that part is completely true. Something I find disgusting to be honest. Organic fruit and veg etc should not cost as much as it does.

As you are no doubt well aware of, there are many videos on Youtube that show the unhealthy side effects of a vegan diet.

As you are no doubt well aware of, there are many videos on Youtube that show the unhealthy side effects of a vegan diet.

The only time a vegan diet is unhealthy is when people don't know what they are doing or not eating the right things. This is exactly the same as someone eating meat and not eating the right things. So that proves nothing.

How many unhealthy overweight meat eaters do you want me to post? Fact is this proves you can be healthy with a vegan diet and proves it can be healthier. Proving my point, you don't need meat.

• Like 1

Vegan diet require good understanding and careful planning to maintain health. The issue of B12 is a major sticking point to overcome.

I personally think that many vegans will suffer adverse health effects as a consequence of ignorance of these issues - but that is a problem with them rather than a problem with Veganism per say.

I am a vegetarian (who occassionally eat's fish) and consider my choice to be the most sensible one overall. Others may disagree.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

to be honest, I think the vegetarianism Vs meat-eating argument is a moot point here, and should be left to other threads to deal with the issue.

the important point of THIS thread should be easing the suffering of millions of people dying of starvation by supplimenting their lack of food with a viable alternative, not who's lifestyle choice is superior to others.

The only time a vegan diet is unhealthy is when people don't know what they are doing or not eating the right things. This is exactly the same as someone eating meat and not eating the right things. So that proves nothing.

How many unhealthy overweight meat eaters do you want me to post? Fact is this proves you can be healthy with a vegan diet and proves it can be healthier. Proving my point, you don't need meat.

If I would see a whole family, village or city with vegans looking 20-30 years younger than their physical age, then the vegan diet can be said to be very healthy.

But only one woman showing younger than she is could as well be explained by healthy genes. And even if her father or mother had UNhealthy genes, she could simply have been lucky inheriting the good ones. In fact it would be interesting to check her genes.

She survived the vegan diet, yes, but she wasn't always a vegan she she must have build up enough reserves of the important vitamines (B12); she was married to a guy who had a meat factory (or something). I think she had eaten more meat in her 16 years of meat-eating than I in my 55 years. And I wonder how her health and physical appearance would have improved if she had only reduced the intake of animal proteins instead of banning it completely.

And how did she look before her vegan diet? Was she overweight? Did she eat too much meat (I know that in America steaks are huge and cheap)?

I remember I once read in a book about alternative medicine that even the ancient Egyptians knew that reducing the normal amount of food you eat to 50 or 30% would increase your life expectancy, make you feel healthier and look younger.

If I would see a whole family, village or city with vegans looking 20-30 years younger than their physical age, then the vegan diet can be said to be very healthy.

But only one woman showing younger than she is could as well be explained by healthy genes. And even if her father or mother had UNhealthy genes, she could simply have been lucky inheriting the good ones. In fact it would be interesting to check her genes.

She survived the vegan diet, yes, but she wasn't always a vegan she she must have build up enough reserves of the important vitamines (B12); she was married to a guy who had a meat factory (or something). I think she had eaten more meat in her 16 years of meat-eating than I in my 55 years. And I wonder how her health and physical appearance would have improved if she had only reduced the intake of animal proteins instead of banning it completely.

And how did she look before her vegan diet? Was she overweight? Did she eat too much meat (I know that in America steaks are huge and cheap)?

I remember I once read in a book about alternative medicine that even the ancient Egyptians knew that reducing the normal amount of food you eat to 50 or 30% would increase your life expectancy, make you feel healthier and look younger.

There is thousands of healthy vegans like her, some that have never eaten meat in their life. If you think B12 comes from meat only then you do not understand how B12 works and you are just regurgitating the same old argument that the meat industry started. My friend who is a lifelong vegan (was raised vegan) uses Spirulina for B12 and has been tested by doctors many times for B12 deficiency . He has never had a rpoblem with not having enough B12. B12 is amde in your body, it is not in the actual meat and spirulina is an alternative to meat for this process. (there are other ways as well)

You can't provide me a village that are all healthy meat eaters either so that is a pointless argument.

Edited by Coffey

There is thousands of healthy vegans like her, some that have never eaten meat in their life. If you think B12 comes from meat only then you do not understand how B12 works and you are just regurgitating the same old argument that the meat industry started. My friend who is a lifelong vegan (was raised vegan) uses Spirulina for B12 and has been tested by doctors many times for B12 deficiency . He has never had a rpoblem with not having enough B12. B12 is amde in your body, it is not in the actual meat and spirulina is an alternative to meat for this process. (there are other ways as well)

You can't provide me a village that are all healthy meat eaters either so that is a pointless argument.

If we can compare the health of a village inhabited by only vegans with a village inhabited by only meat eaters, and the results show that the vegan villagers are healthier than the meat-eating villagers, than it is probable that the vegan diet proves to be better than the meat diet.

About that B12.... do you know what you're friend is eating when you're not around?? And I'm not even thinking of hamburgers....

Spirulina is not considered to be a reliable source of Vitamin B12. Spirulina supplements contain predominantly pseudovitamin B12, which is biologically inactive in humans. Companies which grow and market spirulina have claimed it to be a significant source of B12 on the basis of alternative, unpublished assays, although their claims are not accepted by independent scientific organizations. The American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada in their position paper on vegetarian diets state that spirulina cannot be counted on as a reliable source of active vitamin B12. The medical literature similarly advises that spirulina is unsuitable as a source of B12.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirulina_%28dietary_supplement%29

SPIRULINA bevat een zeer hoog gehalte aan vitamine B12, echter slechts ongeveer 35% van de in SPIRULINA aanwezige vitamine B12 wordt door door mensen opgenomen. Vegetariers dienen dus rekening te houden met het feit dat SPIRULINA weliswaar vitamine B12 bevat, echter niet voldoende om de dagelijkse hoeveelheid B12 binnen te krijgen.

http://www.chalix.com/nl/153/eiwitten-vitamine-b12-en-vegetariers/

B-12 in spirulina and other plant foods

Microbial assays for B-12 are unreliable. A common misconception in vegan circles is that fermented foods and spirulina contain B-12. This claim may, at times, be supported by lab tests for B-12 based on the USP (U.S. Pharmacopeia) assay methods.

Unfortunately, as explained in Herbert et al. [1984] and Herbert [1988], the USP assay method for B-12 is unreliable. The assay measures total corrinoids--that is, true B-12 plus analogues (forms of B-12 that are not metabolically active in the body)--and the analogues have the potential to block the absorption of true B-12 by occupying B-12 receptor sites. A preferred, reliable test that can differentiate between true B-12 and corrinoids is provided by differential radioassay. The assay problem must be considered in evaluating "old" studies on B-12.

Spirulina and tempeh contain mostly analogues of B-12. Herbert [1988] reports that tests on tempeh, a fermented soy product, and spirulina revealed that they contained almost no true B-12, i.e., the "B-12" they contained (per USP assay test) was predominantly analogues. Herbert [1988, p. 857] reports:

We suspect that people taking spirulina as a source of vitamin B-12 may get vitamin B-12 deficiency quicker because the analogues in the product block human mammalian cell metabolism in culture [i.e., in the lab] and we suspect that they will also do this in the living human.

The presence of analogues, rather than true B-12, in fermented foods makes them unreliable sources for B-12.

=

Is biologically active B-12 produced by intestinal bacteria?

Claims of intestinal B-12 production may be based on insufficient evidence.

=

Direct coprophagy: a reliable (vegan?) B-12 source :wacko:

Any takers? Further, the daily output of ~5 mcg versus the RDA/RDI of 1-2 mcg suggests that a direct coprophagy level (i.e., reingestion of feces) of 20-40% of output will meet requirements for B-12. Might this qualify as the only truly reliable, vegan (?) source of B-12? Will coprophagy be the next fad among certain fruitarian extremists? (Obligatory warning: coprophagy, and the handling of feces, is unsafe and increases the risk of transmission of parasites and diseases. Coprophagy is not recommended.)

http://www.beyondveg.com/billings-t/comp-anat/comp-anat-7c.shtml

First thing I'm not eating insects. There are plenty of meat around me if i cant get the usual animal flesh. :innocent:

Since there are a lot of vegetarians speaking out I figure a meatatarian (??? not sure what were called) should post something.

Me I only eat meat. Not that vegetables taste gross but I have to eat meat. I can not get full off vegetables I will literally have the urge to bite someone if I eat a meal with very little meat. Only time ill eat a vegetable is when eating out but even then its mostly just some grains or fruit. But the majority of my diet is meat, and most the time its under cooked. Yes you can eat raw meat, its safe and you get more nutrients but and the big but on why we don't eat raw meat is because our meat isn't fresh. Its like eating week old sushi..... cook it.

And about the whole spiritual evolution and eating plants... I'm calling bs. Everyone knows all the good rituals involve animal sacrifices not a potato and if you remember the bible that God favors animal deaths over vegetables. So if the spirit world prefers burning or draining an animal carcass then eating meat is the path to spiritual evolution. After all our world is becoming more materialistic not spiritual and vegetable and soon insect eating is rising..... In other words Pushing the consumption of plants and insects is a Illuminati plot to de-evolve man spiritually :whistle: