Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bringing back all your dead ancestors?

Clarakore

Past/future=now  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Would you bring back your ancestors and collect your descendants?

• Yes, family tree party!
    • No, even if everyone else in my line decided to, leave me out.
    • Other

I wouldn't want to bring back my ancestors. Especially not those few who were in the SS. And I doubt I'd get akong with most of the others as well: They'd be from a completely different period with a completely different mindset. Wouldn't end too well, I believe.

What if your posterity has the save thoughts about you?
  • Like 1

So one decides the question should be answered on who they would get along with, who might benefit them, who they deem as worthy contributions to the world, yet let us hope those in the future who do get to decide to bring us back have risen past these simple biases.

The real problem with resurrections, regardless of whether they are of the scientific or of the religious sort, is the continuity problem -- the new being thinks its a resurrected being because it has the same personality and memories, but is it really the same being?

Who is to say we have not already been resurrected, which solves the time problem, and we feel the exact same. When it comes to space, maybe there just is not enough space to host us all here in the now, but that too can be solved as we learn to better use the space we have.

well, ok, everybody but my dad's uncle Tom , he can't be trusted.

* he once sold a horse standing in a field ... and got a down payment on a house (while the owners were on vacation)

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

What if your posterity has the save thoughts about you?

That's fine. Why wouldn't it?

So one decides the question should be answered on who they would get along with, who might benefit them, who they deem as worthy contributions to the world, yet let us hope those in the future who do get to decide to bring us back have risen past these simple biases.

Well, bringing back intolerant people would not really help. I am not biased; I accept that people from different places and time are different, and might not get along. A utopian world where everybody is living together in peace and harmony is very unlikely, due to the vast differences in human beings.

Edit: Alright, I am biased towards my Nazi great uncles. And I am fine with that.

There are also a few I would really like to meet, but you were talking about resurrecting ALL of my ancestors, and that I would not want.

Edited by FLOMBIE
  • Like 1

Of course it is easier to get along with someone from our own era, even if they live across the world and speak another language, than to get along with our own ancestors from 200 years ago who might speak the same tongue as we do. We simply would not be able to relate with the old timers.

That does not mean it won't be possible one day. If it is, most will opt to bring everyone back, at least that is my view.

No one claimed it would be a utopian society either. There would be problems as with any new technology. New technology is introduced blind to the problems that will ensue. There is always a lag time between the introduction, to the recognition of issues, to the solving of those issues and using the technology in healthier ways.

It seems in this scenario the only intolerant ones are those who would choose to not bring others back and remain separated. Intolerance takes many forms. SS can be forgiven. Denying others eternity seems a graver form of intolerance. That too can be forgiven.

We at least know how each of us will decide by discussing it.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!

Of course it is easier to get along with someone from our own era, even if they live across the world and speak another language, than to get along with our own ancestors from 200 years ago who might speak the same tongue as we do. We simply would not be able to relate with the old timers.

That does not mean it won't be possible one day. If it is, most will opt to bring everyone back, at least that is my view.

No one claimed it would be a utopian society either. There would be problems as with any new technology. New technology is introduced blind to the problems that will ensue. There is always a lag time between the introduction, to the recognition of issues, to the solving of those issues and using the technology in healthier ways.

It seems in this scenario the only intolerant ones are those who would choose to not bring others back and remain separated. Intolerance takes many forms. SS can be forgiven. Denying others eternity seems a graver form of intolerance. That too can be forgiven.

We at least know how each of us will decide by discussing it.

And what if they dont change? What if they keep on spreading their hate? Does being tolerant mean to accept intolerant ideologies?

Ideologies and ideas are a product of their time and environment. If we each had a thousand years it is imaginable we would all change.

In fact I don't expect to be the same person in five years, I expect to change, and if I don't something is wrong. As is I am not the same person now that I was five years ago.

How many SS went on to change? We don't hear their stories. We also villainized a whole group because they lost the war. The Americans who conquered the Indians did horrible things, imagine if they had they the benefit of industrialization they could have used industrial methods of pushing others off their own lands and taking it for themselves as living space to settle farmers. This is the plan Hitler had, he lost, but the Americans won, and they are heroes. Should Americans not be allowed to bring back their ancestors? Who they consider heroes.

The logic employed breaks down when we see it through another lens. All deserve a chance to come back, in a new environment, to grow.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!
  • Like 1

We are all information and it cannot be destroyed. Cremation is not the end of life. Death is not the end of life.

So how would they bring them back and what will they look like? Will they look the same, have the same body and have the same personality as when they were alive?

I just want to know how this would be achieved if the body had been cremated or is now just bones?

• Like 1

What if your Dad was the milk delivery man and not the Dad who you thought was your Dad. Which ancestors would you get? Genetic ancestors or what? :yes:

• Like 1

The Americans who conquered the Indians did horrible things, imagine if they had they the benefit of industrialization they could have used industrial methods of pushing others off their own lands and taking it for themselves as living space to settle farmers. This is the plan Hitler had, he lost, but the Americans won, and they are heroes. Should Americans not be allowed to bring back their ancestors? Who they consider heroes.

yes, if they could bring back their dead ancestors then they have as much right to do so as the Indians who lost their ancestors to them. That should be fun if they all came back again at the same time!

What do you think would happen is all those in the ss came back at the same time as the Jews who were murdered in the concentration camps? do you think they will all meet up and discuss a truce?

• Like 1

Ideologies and ideas are a product of their time and environment. If we each had a thousand years it is imaginable we would all change.

In fact I don't expect to be the same person in five years, I expect to change, and if I don't something is wrong. As is I am not the same person now that I was five years ago.

How many SS went on to change? We don't hear their stories. We also villainized a whole group because they lost the war. The Americans who conquered the Indians did horrible things, imagine if they had they the benefit of industrialization they could have used industrial methods of pushing others off their own lands and taking it for themselves as living space to settle farmers. This is the plan Hitler had, he lost, but the Americans won, and they are heroes. Should Americans not be allowed to bring back their ancestors? Who they consider heroes.

The logic employed breaks down when we see it through another lens. All deserve a chance to come back, in a new environment, to grow.

Could you elaborate on that? I think i am misunderstanding you (hopefully).

• Like 1

idk but I had a previous life. I was a b**** then and im a b**** now

Welcome to UM, b****! :)

• Like 3

What if science could bring back all your dead ancestors and collect all your ancestors? Would you sign the waiver?

I can think of a very easy experiment which would show if the mind is produced by the brain.

Take a corpse which has been rotting for two weeks. Recover a stem cell (some survive that long). Remove the rotten flesh and regrow fresh tissue using the stem cell to 'resurrect the person.'

If the mind is eternal then when the brain has been completely regrown the persons memories and personalities will be intact. Hence the predicted biblical resurrection after judgement day may actually come true.

Of course those who are afraid of what I've just said will try to rubbish whats written above despite no evidence existing to show it might be wrong.

• Like 1

I can think of a very easy experiment which would show if the mind is produced by the brain.

Take a corpse which has been rotting for two weeks. Recover a stem cell (some survive that long). Remove the rotten flesh and regrow fresh tissue using the stem cell to 'resurrect the person.'

If the mind is eternal then when the brain has been completely regrown the persons memories and personalities will be intact. Hence the predicted biblical resurrection after judgement day may actually come true.

Of course those who are afraid of what I've just said will try to rubbish whats written above despite no evidence existing to show it might be wrong.

I thought cases of brain damage affecting memory and personality would be much more within our reach.
  • Like 1

I don't get along with the relatives I have now... Why on Earth would I want millions of my ancestors (who I also probably would not get along with) to suddenly stop by for a chat and a brewski?...

edit to add: And I would probably have to by the danged beer as well ( I know my family!)...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 3

I wouldn't want to bring back my ancestors. Especially not those few who were in the SS. And I doubt I'd get akong with most of the others as well: They'd be from a completely different period with a completely different mindset. Wouldn't end too well, I believe.

absolutely

What do you think would happen is all those in the ss came back at the same time as the Jews who were murdered in the concentration camps? do you think they will all meet up and discuss a truce?

THIS is the best post on this topic... ohhhh... the irony.

One can really appreciate the irony from a certain super special viewpoint. ;)

I can see it now... Bring back an ancestor who's first wife passed away before him ... She comes up to him and her first words...

"I'm not dead even 10 years and you marry her?!"

• Like 1

I thought cases of brain damage affecting memory and personality would be much more within our reach.

I'm not aware of the doctors being allowed to regrow damaged brain tissue but yes that would prove it one way or the other too.

• Like 1