Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Act of God

ChloeB

Chloe

An outstanding rant, even for you.

People don't think straight during stressful times. The very idea of those children who died is enough to addle just about anybody's brain. The families must be in shock.

Eventually, somebody will notice that God works most reliably through first responder teams, search and rescue dogs, and in the long run, building safe rooms in schools.

• Like 1

png/250px-Contractwithgod.png[/img]

excellent book 3i, definitely NOT disney!

• Like 1

Earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, and all of such are acts of nature.

It will be getting worse, considering our negative impact on the environment.

• Like 2

frankly, if this carries on much longer I'll certainly be tempted to report you for simply spamming the topic with irrelevant tripe.

ooh, go on arbitran, I dare ya, I double dares ya!

:-)

Chloe

Eventually, somebody will notice that God works most reliably through first responder teams, search and rescue dogs, and in the long run, building safe rooms in schools.

strange, I thought it was first responder teams, search & rescue dogs, and engineers building safe rooms that worked most reliably through first responder teams, search & rescue teams and engineers building safe rooms in schools, not god?

my mistake, silly me.

excellent book 3i, definitely NOT disney!

nope .. but not scoffing at disney either :)

Will Eisner is a childhood hero of mine ... still is ... unsurpassed till today even ... creator of The Spirit and Hollywood being Hollywood made a mess of it ....

The Spirit is a 2008 American superhero noir film, written and directed by Frank Miller and starring Gabriel Macht, Eva Mendes, Sarah Paulson, Dan Lauria, Paz Vega, Jaime King, Scarlett Johansson, and Samuel L. Jackson. The film is based on the newspaper comic strip The Spirit by Will Eisner. OddLot and Lionsgate produced the film.[4]

The Spirit was released in the United States on December 25, 2008, and on DVD and Blu-ray on April 14, 2009. Despite being a commercial and critical failure in theaters, the film found more success on DVD and Blu-ray

215px-Thespiritposter.jpg

Don't bother with the DvD ... just get the magazine/comic series.... old school THe Spirit ... not the new ones ... the kids just don;t have that Will Eisner touch

All naterial desasters are acts-of-god. But god does not control them all. God set things in motion and then let it run on its own. Like he did with us. Sometimes god steps in and modify things so either it happens at a different time. Such as the san fran. Earth guake in 89. According noestrodamus that quake was supposed to hit in july and kill 100,000. But, it actually take place in october and only a couple of hundred people were hurt or killed. That is what the prayer is for. The samething as asking the fire setter not to burn down your new home.

Sometimes god steps in and modify things so either it happens at a different time. Such as the san fran. Earth guake in 89.

Ok, I'll bite. Why did God destroy San Fran in 1989? God hates World Series baseball?

• Like 1

Chloe

An outstanding rant, even for you.

People don't think straight during stressful times. The very idea of those children who died is enough to addle just about anybody's brain. The families must be in shock.

Aah well, it gets to me sometimes, but I guess I should stop thinking so much and look at it like the people praying are doing so with good intentions and their heart in the right place, things like this, people don't know what to do it's so horrible. I saw this video today of this sweet old lady today find her dog in the rubble of her home right when the camera rolling interviewing her; she said she lived and found her dog, both her prayers were answered. You can't help but be touched by that!! And hope all is well with you too, Mr Bits!

Ok, I'll bite. Why did God destroy San Fran in 1989? God hates World Series baseball?

That was a warning to behave.(my opionion). That quake hit at rush hour. The freeway that collapsed was supposed to have that hundred thousand people on it. But, they had all gone home early to watch the game. The stadium where the games were played was hardly touched by the quake. So no god doesn't hate the world series.

Physics can be a cruel mistress. Earth quakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, and other natural phenom are all part of living on an active dynamic planet. Look around the solar system, it goes on all the time and it could be worse. If you happen to be in the way you get nailed. I don't think there is any animosity intended from the Universe.

• Like 1

shrooma

strange, I thought it was first responder teams, search & rescue dogs, and engineers building safe rooms that worked most reliably through first responder teams, search & rescue teams and engineers building safe rooms in schools, not god?

my mistake, silly me.

Wow. I was thinking about how best to reply to the complete hash you made of what I posted, when I stumbled across this moment in the coverage,

>

After the headline shot where the lady says she's an atheist, she then goes on to say "I don't blame anybody for thanking the Lord," and Wolf Blitzer says "Of course not."

Now, knowing that I posted this video, and that I've pointed to this part of the video especially and with approval, please reread my post. This time, entertain the possibility that I am not a Christian evangelist, and not a Christ-baiter, either.

In other words, pretend that I was a fellow member of the site whose posts, if worth commenting upon at all, are worth understanding before making snide comments about them.

Extra credit if you spot my undisparaging use of the identical literary device you used to mock my post.

Wonder if a thunder storm would be an act of Zeus.

• Like 1

maybe Hollywood is on to something .... and is telling us something

945242_589876657703152_650593250_n.jpg

• Like 4

[quote name='Darkwind' timestamp='1369221413' post='4782956'

Physics can be a cruel mistress. Earth quakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, and other natural phenom are all part of living on an active dynamic planet. Look a

If you believe in zeus. But I think the greeks used an act of the gods.

'everything's done according to god's plan',

I think god is rather like the government: great at planning, but a disaster at implementation.

Doug

I've been this annoying and asking questions since I was a little kid, and this is what I was always told, he works in mysterious ways. That's just what people say when they know there is no answer or they can't come up with one. It also says, you'll just buy into anything if you believe God wants it, which can be dangerous.

Attributing anything to god is just another way of saying "I don't know." It has the advantage of making the speaker sound as if he knows what he's talking about without having to actually know anything. It is dishonest. I never could understand why theists, particularly Christians, feel the need to lie (Remember Eusebius?), rather than just admit they don't have all the answers.

Doug

• Like 1

If you believe in zeus. But I think the greeks used an act of the gods.

How did Rlyeh's quote get my name on it? Zeus isn't part of my pantheon. lol

• Like 1