Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Do We Write?

StarMountainKid

I just read a quote from Mel Brooks in an interview in which he said, "You write things out because they bother you and you just want to get rid of that thing in your head. So you create something to get rid of it."

I think this is true of me. As much as I like the writing process, when the thing is done I give a contented sigh of relief. Then there is the ego thing, hoping someone will appreciate what I've created. I suppose this also drives me, though I know I'm not a very good writer, and that I'm only doing the best I can.

It's always a good feeling to construct something out of nothing and then looking at it, thinking, "I made this, wow!" lol

I'm just wondering why others feel the need to create something, whatever genre they're interested in.

• Like 2

I write for the act of creation. Sometimes there is no need to write it out, just imagining is creating. If lucky I can write. I write for myself, it has to make me happy.

If someone else enjoys it than that is good and well, they have a gift from the Source who is behind all creation, just as I enjoy what others creates if it is to my fancy. When it comes to poems, if every line rhymes, I probably won't like it, sing-songy is very antiquated and not very good to read in my opinion. No serious literary society would every publish a sing-songy poem.

Ego is of course involved but cannot be the sum of it. Some will just say thank you for every comment to have their works appear at the top of the forum for example. What happens if no one ever likes your stuff or comments? Would they stop writing? It seems for some ego is the main part of it. If you never like their work they will never like yours. Some are out for friends and the buzz of being liked but not for the purity of creation alone. It is divine!

It is always good to construct something out of nothing and then looking at it, thinking, "The Universe used me to make this, wow!"

Of course this is just my personal view, it is how I feel about myself, so really cannot be extended to others or apply to others who are just more friendly and like chit chatting about small things. For me I need deep conversation about someone else's or my own work, a simple "it is nice" and "thank you" in return fall short in that regard. For others that does the trick and hits the spot.

My philosophy is genuine to my core, I could not be another way, even if it alienates me and leaves me alone and unread. The important thing is creation happened, no one has to witness the flower bloom in the wilds for it to still be beautiful to the flower that is blooming. Not a lot of bees will find honey here. It is a sad and lonely life but any other way would seem fake to me.

Basically I write for myself, not others.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!
  • Like 1

I actually tried seriously writing for money. A book, but it's still ways off. Other than that, to me it's a creative activity, something where you can do pretty much whatever you want in terms of writing. I tend to get and develop all these ideas, fantasies and mental images and putting them on a paper can be a... make you laugh at yourself, though somehow I've missed that part. It's best when you reserve some time and focus and take your time and all that, take a moment for just writing. The best stories seem to come out of a bit of pessimism for me, a sort of self-challenging pessimism, not a depressing one.

• Like 2

Writing is my drug. I'm miserable most of the time while doing it... and not doing it... but it's chock full of euphoric highs when I know I get a word, phrase, character or plot just right. Then the high vanishes and I have to keep writing to find the next one.

It's also just about the only thing I'm good at.

• Like 3

I write for inner balance and sending it is for some reason healing, like giving birth I guess. I started at 50, so been at it for almost 15 years now....have over 7,000 pieces written, thank God for memory sticks LOL.

peace

Mark

• Like 3

i'm a left-handed piscean, so creativity's been more or less programmed into me from birth. i'm a steel fabricator/welder, an artist, and a musician. you'd think I either had st vitus dance or was a speed-freak if you met me, too much energy for my own good, and the best release for it is through creativity- either building things, drawing things, or songwriting.

(ps, don't sell yourself short Kid, there's nothing wrong with your writing, trust me!!)

• Like 3

I just read a quote from Mel Brooks in an interview in which he said, "You write things out because they bother you and you just want to get rid of that thing in your head. So you create something to get rid of it."

I think this is true of me. As much as I like the writing process, when the thing is done I give a contented sigh of relief. Then there is the ego thing, hoping someone will appreciate what I've created. I suppose this also drives me, though I know I'm not a very good writer, and that I'm only doing the best I can.

It's always a good feeling to construct something out of nothing and then looking at it, thinking, "I made this, wow!" lol

I'm just wondering why others feel the need to create something, whatever genre they're interested in.

Yep, I write to get rid of a story or idea or something that just rests in my mind and needs to be expressed and set free..

I used to write because it was entertaining & self indulgent.. But in a few instances I found that stories or ideas came and just had to be let out. I found that those were a different kind of expression & the twists & turns of it took on a life of it's own..

Have re-read some of the self indulgent stuff that I've kept.. God I wrote some crap.

• Like 1

We've all written crap. If we didn't write the crap and get it out of us, we'd be all bunged up and the good stuff couldn't get out.

:)

• Like 4

I figured out a long time ago that I only write for the people I know. I've written entire novels just for a friend or two. They inspire me and in return I want to entertain them. I don't really care if I never become a famous published author. As long as I pleased and entertained the person or persons whom I'm writing for, then that's good enough for me.

• Like 2

I figured out a long time ago that I only write for the people I know. I've written entire novels just for a friend or two. They inspire me and in return I want to entertain them. I don't really care if I never become a famous published author. As long as I pleased and entertained the person or persons whom I'm writing for, then that's good enough for me.

This has to be the most beautiful thought I have read in regards to writing.

You and your friends are rather lucky too.

• Like 1

It is always good to construct something out of nothing and then looking at it, thinking, "The Universe used me to make this, wow!"

This is very true, as I am the Universe. I'm the Universe expressing itself. However, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the Universe manipulating me in this way. I mean, it seems I am writing this stuff. If it's some Universe doing it, where do I come into the picture? This is a little disheartening if you look at it in a certain way.

On the other hand, I suppose there is an advantage to this. If I write a poorly written, crappy story, can I just blame this Universe? I hope so, as recently I've been looking for plausible deniabilities for the quality of some of my recent work. Excuses, I mean. Using the vast Universe as an excuse for my own shortcomings is a rather exciting and pleasing idea. I may use this idea in some future blog entry here.

One other note: if this Universe of ours causes me to write something just awful, what does that say about the ability of the Cosmos to express Itself in a rational, coherent manner? If my ineptitude is a result of the incompetence of the Cosmos, not only have I discovered a good excuse, this fact explains why I have so much trouble producing anything or merit. It's this stupid Universe always mucking things up for me..

Thanks a lot, Universe.

• Like 1

Writing for me is apart of who I am and how I understand the world. Even when I don't understand how I understand the world; I can go back to my writing and its helps me to gain a better insight. It is an ego thing also. Its a way for others to see how I see things, but its one of the most ingenius ways of how we see through other people that draws me in the most.

Edited by Jessem
  • Like 1

I write to calm the demons in my head.

Painting and drawing and singing horribly while driving down a desolate road, also seem to help.

• Like 3

Painting and drawing and singing horribly while driving down a desolate road, also seem to help.

singing horribly WHEREVER you are is always good ju-ju odd!

my neighbours think they're living next door to some weirdo cat-strangler whenever I get a shower...

:-)

• Like 2

singing horribly WHEREVER you are is always good ju-ju odd!

my neighbours think they're living next door to some weirdo cat-strangler whenever I get a shower...

lol. i'm almost certain my neighbors are under the impression that I breed cats.

• Like 2

lol. i'm almost certain my neighbors are under the impression that I breed cats.

could be worse man, you could have a really sweary parrot with a dead loud voice, then they'd think you had tourettes syndrome!!

Random singing does feel good and can be a process of creation such as creating moods or amplifying them as art and writing can.

Singing whatever too, a song you know, a song you just invent, or even plain humming.