Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Abercrombie & Fitch targets skinny shoppers,

DieChecker

Abercrombie & Fitch = overpriced mall rat wear.

• Like 4

Hah, it is definitely for a younger set and it is painful to watch grown individuals still wearing AF or AE.

Unfortunately our society has become dependent on cheap clothes. Cheap chic is very nice but it does have a hidden cost: fires in foreign countries with mass deaths. That needs to change too.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!

We should leave fat people alone.............they have enough on their plate.

:w00t:

• Like 1

I suppose we should get back on topic.

Abercrombie & Fitch targets skinny shoppers.

I don't see an issue with it. Let capitalism run it's course. If the large population of heavy women don't spend their money with AF then good. Skinny women will eventually tire of the high prices.

There are companies that target only plus size women.

I dunno

I don't see an issue with it. Let capitalism run it's course. If the large population of heavy women don't spend their money with AF then good. Skinny women will eventually tire of the high prices.

There are companies that target only plus size women.

I dunno; discrimination by itself is a bad thing. Capitalism often provides for one group and slights another, such as urban over rural, young over old, wealthy neighborhoods over poor neighborhoods. It happens as a natural part of a merchant trying to maximize profit, and sometimes regulation can mitigate it a little. I would not assume however that capitalism will fix it: often the underserved just go without.
  • Like 1

Womens clothing sizes is a joke... Has been for ages.

Like for me, I'm 5'3", about 130 pounds. I can go into one store, buy jeans that are size 2 and they fit great, in another store a size 8 is snug... Start getting into using patterns to make clothes and I'm a modern size 12, a 50's size 16, and going back further like the 20's, I bounce between sizes 14, 16 and 36 depending on the pattern. Some of the older patterns don't really fit right even when they are made in the right size because they are meant to be worn with undergarments most women just don't regularly wear anymore. Ya get that sometimes a bit too when you pick up a vintage clothing piece at the thrift shops.

A&F creeps me out, their stores are creepy, there's something vaguely disturbing about their advertising too, and I think their general attitude sucks.. That said, I don't see anything wrong in general with a store targeting smaller sized people. Petite clothing has been around for ages, stores for big and tall men and larger women have been around for a while too.

• Like 1

Check out: http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/celeb-news/blogger-spun-abercrombie-fitch-ceo-comments-chance-change-191920774.html?vp=1

"Omg! Insider" sat down with Baker, who is fighting back with Abercrombie ads of her own, where she poses topless with a male model and reinterprets the A&F letters to stand for a message she truly believes in, "Attractive & Fat."

"I don't really care what Abercrombie really truly thinks about this, to be honest with you. I don't have the energy to dislike Mike Jeffries," she said during the interview. "There's so much negativity in the world, it doesn't need to be perpetuated."

Baker also included an open letter to Jeffries on her website, the Militant Baker, criticizing the company for its narrow view of what beauty really is and promoting the idea that every size is beautiful.

"The only thing you've done through your comments (about thin being beautiful and offering XL and XXL in your stores for men) is reinforce the unoriginal concept that fat women are social failures, value-less, and undesirable," Baker wrote. "Well, actually, that's not all you have done. You have also created an incredible opportunity for social change."

You GO GIRL! :)

Let's show people that everyone is beautiful in their own way. Let's teach people to love their bodies.

• Like 1

A&F marketing their clothes to skinny or cool people is no different than Mercedes Benz or Rolex marketing their products to rich people. Have we gotten so far away from the concept of free enterprise that we would even question the rights of buyers and sellers to find each other? And what's all this talk about fat people being some kind of social pariah that is costing others' money through taxes? Don't we all have to buy medical insurance under the inaptly named Affordable Care Act? I'm fat, hence the moniker, and I use the medical establishment far less than the average person, skinny or not. Those that disdain obese people should keep in mind that obesity is often a secondary condition arising from a lack of normal activity due to other diseases or injuries. As for scooters, they are just one of many devices used to overcome physical deficiencies, no different than dentures, glasses or hearing aids. I walk with a cane due to an old injury. The lack of mobility has contributed to my weight gain but I'm aware that the perception may be that my weight has caused my lameness. It seems odd to me that in an age where all lifestyles and proclivities are finally gaining acceptance that we can't accept the fact that people come in all shapes and sizes. We've abandoned a narrow definition of "normal" in almost every other area yet continue to cite certain body measurements and ratios as ideal. Fat is the new black, time to move on.

Edited by Big Jim
  • Like 3

Womens clothing sizes is a joke... Has been for ages.

Like for me, I'm 5'3", about 130 pounds. I can go into one store, buy jeans that are size 2 and they fit great, in another store a size 8 is snug... Start getting into using patterns to make clothes and I'm a modern size 12, a 50's size 16, and going back further like the 20's, I bounce between sizes 14, 16 and 36 depending on the pattern. Some of the older patterns don't really fit right even when they are made in the right size because they are meant to be worn with undergarments most women just don't regularly wear anymore. Ya get that sometimes a bit too when you pick up a vintage clothing piece at the thrift shops.

A&F creeps me out, their stores are creepy, there's something vaguely disturbing about their advertising too, and I think their general attitude sucks.. That said, I don't see anything wrong in general with a store targeting smaller sized people. Petite clothing has been around for ages, stores for big and tall men and larger women have been around for a while too.

I'm 5' 2" and almost 130 lbs....And I have to tell you, I just can't find a pair of jeans made for SHORT people. Seriously, I have to hem ALL my pants when I buy them, because they are always too long!

• Like 1

i'm 6,4 220lb, and i have very hard time finding clothes that fit right. i can't even sit down in most jeans without having the plummers butt. the cuts are horible. why can't they make jeans using same cuts as army bdu pants use. those are so much more comfortable, and never fall, pull, cut in.

you girls think you have problems with A&F, pff. lol

• Like 2

A&F marketing their clothes to skinny or cool people is no different than Mercedes Benz or Rolex marketing their products to rich people. Have we gotten so far away from the concept of free enterprise that we would even question the rights of buyers and sellers to find each other? And what's all this talk about fat people being some kind of social pariah that is costing others' money through taxes? Don't we all have to buy medical insurance under the inaptly named Affordable Care Act? I'm fat, hence the moniker, and I use the medical establishment far less than the average person, skinny or not. Those that disdain obese people should keep in mind that obesity is often a secondary condition arising from a lack of normal activity due to other diseases or injuries. As for scooters, they are just one of many devices used to overcome physical deficiencies, no different than dentures, glasses or hearing aids. I walk with a can due to an old injury. The lack of mobility has contributed to my weight gain but I'm aware that the perception may be that my weight has caused my lameness. It seems odd to me that in an age where all lifestyles and proclivities are finally gaining acceptance that we can't accept the fact that people come in all shapes and sizes. We've abandoned a narrow definition of "normal" in almost every other area yet continue to cite certain body measurements and ratios as ideal. Fat is the new black, time to move on.

Great post. :tu:

Unfortunately, people are bigoted when it comes to the weight issue. Maybe they should walk a mile in someone else's shoes before they speak.

I've seen the looks people give my sister-in-law (who is very overweight, due to a thyroid condition, which is hereditary in her family) and the little comments from people. It makes me SOOO MAD! She is a lovely, sweet person, but all people see his her weight.

My husband is overweight, and I could care less. I love him. His weight could matter less to me. And both of them, don't eat as much as I do, yet I'm not what you would consider overweight, by any means. Not to mention we all eat lots of fruits and veggies around here, and most of our food is organic.

Also, pregnancy weight is awful to work off! I used to weigh less than I do now, but I just haven't been able to work off all that baby weight.... :(

But, my husband just says, "Just more of you to love, baby...."

• Like 2

I dunno

I dunno; discrimination by itself is a bad thing. Capitalism often provides for one group and slights another, such as urban over rural, young over old, wealthy neighborhoods over poor neighborhoods. It happens as a natural part of a merchant trying to maximize profit, and sometimes regulation can mitigate it a little. I would not assume however that capitalism will fix it: often the underserved just go without.

But I don't think a company should be forced to market to larger women if they don't want to. So letting it run it's course is the only option.

If there is a market for it, someone will capitalize on it.

• Like 1

i'm 6,4 220lb, and i have very hard time finding clothes that fit right. i can't even sit down in most jeans without having the plummers butt. the cuts are horible. why can't they make jeans using same cuts as army bdu pants use. those are so much more comfortable, and never fall, pull, cut in.

you girls think you have problems with A&F, pff. lol

LOL...:)

My poor hubby has the SAME problem! So don't worry. You can buy shirts that have really long tails that can hide that!

I like to tell my husband, when he bends over and you can see his crack, "You know crack kills...." lol

• Like 2

As long as these are made by foreign children for 2 cents a day, who cares if they don't make 5x XL?

5_robschneider.jpg

• Like 1

LOL... :)

You can buy shirts that have really long tails that can hide that!

I like to tell my husband, when he bends over and you can see his crack, "You know crack kills...." lol

either that or walk around like that, i'm sure no one will pay no mind to the crack in outfit like this

borat-swimsuit.jpg

• Like 3

Let's show people that everyone is beautiful in their own way. Let's teach people to love their bodies.

I'm on the fence on this one. I guess it's different at different ages. I think alot of the issues we see is because the parents accept that their kid is fat and just leave it be. Kids should not be taught to be Ok with their bodies if the are fat. They should not be made fun of either. They should be taught and trained to do what is neccesary to be at a healthy weight.

It certainly isn't easy to lose weight once you have it. That's why it is so important for parents to do what is right for their children and raise them without letting them gain unneccesary weight.

It's a little different for adults. There are a number of reasons they are overweight. Some is out of their control. I think it is important not to give up. At least, we should maintain our current weight and not let it balloon any higher. As I said earlier, I need to drop at least 15 pounds to get to where I will feel good (it was 20). I'm getting there slowly. Just avoiding eating some crap I used to. Today in the office we had donuts and bananas left over from a meeting. I grapped a banana. It was a conscious effort on my part to choose fruit over donuts.

Mainly, I try not to consume more calories than I burn each day.

• Like 1

either that or walk around like that, i'm sure no one will pay no mind to the crack in outfit like this

borat-swimsuit.jpg

LOL.... :)

Personally I don't care who a company targets with it's merchandise and advertising. If you don't like what they offer in their store, go somewhere else. I do however have a problem with a CEO, who is responsible for the jobs of his employees, making assinine statements that will drive away potential customers. The stockholders of A@F should demand his resignation!

• Like 1

I can't believe how much money people spend on clothes (especially women) . The sweat shirt i'm wearing cost 25¢ at the local resale shop ( sort of a clearance sale rack )

other than socks and underwear.. i buy almost all clothes Resale . I'm not frugal.. i'm CHEAP! I get a kick out of the jeans at the mall that are pre-faded and tattered etc. LOL too funny.

• Like 4

Personally, I find the fact that A&F does not want to sell to larger people to be fine... It is the CEOs attitude that bothers me.

Reminds me of the new Star Trek movie... Khan: "I AM better then you."

• Like 2

Sodas and fast food should be taxed to cover the cost they are incurring on society just as cigarettes were.

Why is the liberal answer to every problem "raise taxes"? I drink one soda (16 oz) a week and don't eat fast food, but why stop taxing at these. Other types of restaurants sell "fattening" foods also, not just the fast food ones. Why not tax them also? Here in the south sweet tea probably has as much sugar as sodas (in some places it tastes like it has more!). Candy bars certainly aren't healthy so why not tax them also? Same for cookies, potato chips, etc. Where do you want to stop, or do you? Eggs, pork, red meat, etc.

Here is an idea, why don't we just get off our fat asses and do something to get exercise? I think the reason we didn't have as much of a weight problem in the past isn't because we didn't have fast food restaurants or sodas (we did), but because, as children, we were outside running around playing. Now days when two kids want to play a sport they sit at home and compete using video games. They probably have more dexterity in their fingers than we did, but we'd run circles around them at any phyiscal activity.

• Like 4

Just slap an Abercrombie logo on a few muu-muus and be done with it.

• Like 2

Why is the liberal answer to every problem "raise taxes"? I drink one soda (16 oz) a week and don't eat fast food, but why stop taxing at these. Other types of restaurants sell "fattening" foods also, not just the fast food ones. Why not tax them also? Here in the south sweet tea probably has as much sugar as sodas (in some places it tastes like it has more!). Candy bars certainly aren't healthy so why not tax them also? Same for cookies, potato chips, etc. Where do you want to stop, or do you? Eggs, pork, red meat, etc.

Don't worry...remember, liberals don't want to get into your personal life.

• Like 3

Don't worry...remember, liberals don't want to get into your personal life.

Right, they just want to tell you what you can do, where you can do it, how often you can do it, who you can do it with, and how much in taxes you need to pay to do it. :cry: Other than that you are free to do as they wish. :innocent:

• Like 4

Right, they just want to tell you what you can do, where you can do it, how often you can do it, who you can do it with, and how much in taxes you need to pay to do it. :cry: Other than that you are free to do as they wish. :innocent:

Where in the heck do they get to come off, telling people what they can eat, drink, or smoke? Making you pay extra taxes on fast food and soda is just stupid.

And lets not forget Mayor Bloomberg's "War on Soda".... :no:

• Like 5