Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The ancient astronaut theory

UM-Bot

Leonard Farra: It’s said that the most sensational thing that could happen, in the history of man, would be contact with an extra-terrestrial civilisation. However, the greatest secret of all time is that it may have happened several thousand years ago. For those who are interested in learning more about this subject, my advice to you is keep an open mind, read the evidence and draw your own conclusions. Erich Von Daniken popularised the Ancient Astronaut theory in the 1970’s and, over the years, other alternative researchers have made their contributions to the subject. When I began my research, more than 30 years ago, I covered the early religions, legends, traditions, and archaeology of the Ancient Middle East and what I learnt about the ‘sky-gods’ enabled me to decode the secret inner religion, allegorical stories, and the symbolism of Early Egypt . (1) I was so intrigued with what I found that I continued my research in the other parts of Asia, Africa, and in the pre-Christian New World and , to my amazement, wherever I looked, I discovered similar sky-god traditions to those of the Ancient Middle East. (2) My study of the Stone Age also produced some fascinating results (3) including a revolutionary explanation for Stonehenge.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article
  • Like 2

I think the evidence that we have been visited is substantial, all over the planet.

Some posters will instantly foam at the mouth by the mention of Von Daniken's name, but I think he makes many good points.

Van Däniken lied, and he admitted he did.

But he was not the first:

Henri Lhote (1903–1991) was a French author, explorer, ethnographer, and "expert on prehistoric cave art" who described and is credited for the discovery of "important cave paintings" in an "assembly of 800 or more magnificent works of primitive art...in a virtually inaccessible region on the edge of the Sahara desert" Lhote was an early ancient astronaut theorist and considered the prehistoric art as evidence of paleocontact.

-

The popular press gave much attention to Lhote's hypothesis of a prehistoric close encounter and it was later incorporated into the '"sensationalist claims" made by Erich von Däniken that ancient extraterrestrial astronauts visited prehistoric Earth.

-

The value of Lhote's scholarship was also challenged by The Journal of North African Studies, an academic journal affiliated with the University of East Anglia:

Following a highly publicised expedition in the 1950s, the Tassili-n-Ajjer mountains of the Central Sahara (Algeria) were presented to the world as 'the greatest museum of prehistoric art in the whole world'. Many of the claims of the expedition's leader, Henri Lhote, were misleading, a number of the paintings were faked, and the copying process was fraught with errors. The 'discovery' can only be understood within the political and cultural context of the time, namely the Algerian Revolution, France's attempt to partition Algeria, and the prevailing views of the Abbé Breuil, the arch-advocate of foreign influence in African rock art. The expedition's methods caused extensive damage to the rock art while the accompanying looting of cultural objects effectively sterilized the archaeological landscape. Any restitution process must necessarily include a full recognition of what was done and the inappropriateness of the values.

http://www.unexplain...45#entry4459083

• Like 1

Another good one:

I once met Javier Cabrera Darquea (the guy who possessed a zillion stones depicting native Americans playing with dinosaurs, natives looking through telescopes, and all that) in 1991. His little museum was located at the central plaza of the little town of Ica.

His museum was incredible: from top to bottom, from wall to wall, in literally every nook and cranny were these engraved stones.

Soon after I entered, he came from a back room, and we introduced ourselves to eachother. One of the first things he asked me was what I had studied. My answer was 'chemistry'. Then I asked him if I could see those stones from up real close, and it was ok. I still remember I thought, "I can make those engravings!", but I didn't tell him. He didn't say much, and I didn't have much time to wander around in his museum for much longer because else I would miss my bus (a 4 hours drive to the north; and yes, I missed my bus... something else to experience: feeling lost in country like that).

When I was about to leave, he asked me if I was interested in buying his book. I was, and he signed it for me:

Cabrera_Ica1.jpg

OK, a few days later (yes, I found my way back) I met an artist who recreated ancient Incan and Nazcan pottery:

Cabrera_Ica2.jpg

He demonstrated his art to us, and I bought one of his creations. Then I made a 'mistake', lol: I asked him in my best Spanish if he had ever heard of Cabrera and his engraved stones...

I don't know what he had heard me say, or maybe he assumed I thought he was one of those who made those fake stones for Cabrera, but he nearly exploded: he almost yelled in my face, saying that he was NOT ONE OF THOSE FRAUDS, and that he only recreated the ancient pottery because he wanted his ancestors' art to be preserved for humanity.

OK, so I excused myself and said I never intended to even suggest he was one of Cabrera's men. He cooled down, excused himself too for his outburst... and asked me if I was interested in buying another of his pots, lol.

Van Däniken may have lied, so could others, but evidence all over the planet doesn't lie.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser, sayeth Socrates.

Was he lying? Stay tuned...

488003_552132074810944_1658246381_n.jpg

hmmm .... yes he did .....

Edited by third_eye
  • Like 3

Van Däniken may have lied, so could others, but evidence all over the planet doesn't lie.

Please show us that evidence.

"May have lied?"

What part of "admitted" didn't you understand?

Where is the proof for von Däniken's claims? Some of it was fraudulent. For example, he produced photographs of pottery that he claimed had been found in an archaeological dig. The pottery depicts flying saucers and was said to have been dated from Biblical times. However, investigators from Nova (the fine public-television science program) found the potter who had made the allegedly ancient pots. They confronted von Däniken with evidence of his fraud. His reply was that his deception was justified because some people would only believe if they saw proof ("The Case of the Ancient Astronauts," first aired 3/8/78, done in conjunction with BBC's Horizon and Peter Spry-Leverton)!

I posted a link to an online vid at youtube of the above-mentioned episode of NOVA wherein EVD admits to forging his own evidence, exactly as described in the above quote.

Since you believe in the AA hypothesis, it's not beyond reasonable for me to assume that you are lazy. However, perhaps you're not so lazy that you won't use the search function here and watch EVD admit to fraud.

Harte

• Like 1

I posted a link to an online vid at youtube of the above-mentioned episode of NOVA wherein EVD admits to forging his own evidence, exactly as described in the above quote.

Not sure if it was this one:

The Case of the Ancient Astronauts (BBC Horizon/PBS NOVA 1977)

From 40 minutes into the video: Von Däniken, Cabrera (Ica stones), Temple (Sirius mystery).

-=-=-=-=-

The Ica Stones / Javier Cabrera

http://www.unexplain...showentry=23180

The Chronicle of Akakor / Tatunca Nara (= Günther Hauck)

http://www.unexplain...showentry=23178

Dogon/Sirius

http://www.unexplain...showentry=23154[/b]

• Like 1

I didn't realize until a few months ago that Von Daniken was educated by the Jesuits--that is what he and I have in common.

I didn't realize until a few months ago that Von Daniken was educated by the Jesuits--that is what he and I have in common.

Nahhh ... don't believe for a moment his definition of 'educated' is anywhere near yours // :tu:

• Like 1

Not sure if it was this one:

The Case of the Ancient Astronauts (BBC Horizon/PBS NOVA 1977)

That's the one.

Harte

I think this planet, in its long life, has been the host to various forms of life including dinosaurs and humans - perhaps even more life from this planet's ancient past is buried deeper in the ground, waiting for us to uncover it and expose its secrets. But, as for the Ancient Astronaut Theory - there are various cultures who reported, at one time or another, interacting with God-like figures.

Some 5,000 years ago ancient societies like Sumeria and Egypt had developed caste systems, often times with priests being at the top - for they were the mediums in which the people spoke with God. Pharohs were revered and their word taken as the word of God because they were supposedly relatives of the Gods...

We can imagine a lot more has happened on this planet if we only just started finding dinosaur bones in the western world in the 1800s..

As for ancient aliens? Who knows. Maybe we're a genetic experiment? Any thing is possible. I like to be skeptical but have an open mind.

Edited by Kafkaesque
  • Like 2

402069_196821790415843_2064107569_n.jpg

Let's pretend we are the aliens .... :yes:

• Like 1

He attended a boarding school in Switzerland, led by Jesuits, but he did not learn the AA crap there, he just made all that up.

I think this planet, in its long life, has been the host to various forms of life including dinosaurs and humans - perhaps even more life from this planet's ancient past is buried deeper in the ground, waiting for us to uncover it and expose its secrets. But, as for the Ancient Astronaut Theory - there are various cultures who reported, at one time or another, interacting with God-like figures.

Some 5,000 years ago ancient societies like Sumeria and Egypt had developed caste systems, often times with priests being at the top - for they were the mediums in which the people spoke with God. Pharohs were revered and their word taken as the word of God because they were supposedly relatives of the Gods...

We can imagine a lot more has happened on this planet if we only just started finding dinosaur bones in the western world in the 1800s..

As for ancient aliens? Who knows. Maybe we're a genetic experiment? Any thing is possible. I like to be skeptical but have an open mind.

No, not anything is possible. That;s nonsense.

We have had Dinosaur bones longer than that, where do you think Dragon Legends came from? The Greek Cyclops was a mammoth skull.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not understand why anyone has a problem with AA,s after all of the evidence that we have that they left, why there are the advanced medicine's...... well maybe not medicine's but what about the advances in hygiene... well maybe not hygiene but what about the advances in farming & housing ...... well maybe not those, but we do know for a fact that the AA's traveled unimaginable distances thru space and possibly time to teach our ancestors how to stack rocks! oh joy!

Edited by Karyotype
  • Like 2

But, as for the Ancient Astronaut Theory - there are various cultures who reported, at one time or another, interacting with God-like figures.

Ancient peoples thought that heaven was in the sky. When they looked above it was and still is in our day an immense beauty to behold. They thought that gods lived there in a house and ruled Earth from there. Now if you want to link that with Aliens that's up to you but in my opnion I think it has nothing to do with it. It was ancient and simple beliefs without the knowledge of science. They made their own mythologies and worships according to what the wise thought was true.

The claim that Human are genetic experiment is I think the weakest part of the Ancient Astronaut Theory.

We know for a fact that life is in constant evolution and has always been on Earth. Even an advanced Alien civilization had to evolved in order to be what they are. So, if life can evolve naturally on another Planet and produce an intelligent specie why couldn't it be the same on Earth? That's a flaw on their theory. I am not saying it's impossible to be a genetic experiment but there is no need to search for a wild explanation if you can find a simple and logical one that fits with the environment of our planet and the life on it.

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 1