Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

FL teen charged for underage relationship

Rafterman

Rafterman

I'm pretty sure we agree that the (generic) state cannot pass just any old law it wishes. In the case of the Federal government, for example, according to the Constitution, the government can pass laws ONLY "for carrying into execution the foregoing powers".

So can the state legitimately criminalize relations between consenting persons? If so, by what authority?

And whatever the answer, we must keep in mind that criminal laws do not really stop the targeted behavior, they simply allow a civilized framework within which such behavior might be punished. Further, we must remember that MOST laws have far more unintended consequences than successful achievements.

Actually it's illegal for the persons in question to have sex because their minors. It becomes a different 'more serious' legal matter the day the one turned 18. Stupid, because like I said earlier most kids don't even know these laws they're breaking exist. It's not because they're dumb but because they've never been told underage sex is a crime.

Mabon.

• Like 1

I knew there was another side of this story the other parents are speaking out saying there daughter was 14 and the other girl 18 and they felt it was inappropriate for them to be dating she was warned twice, but wouldnt listen so they had no other choice but to go to the police.

Their comments are intriguing, as WPEC-TV claims that the Smith family’s revelations include a “bombshell that will likely turn this investigation on its head.”

And here it apparently is: “Our daughter was 14, and this girl was 18,” Jim told the outlet, clarifying previous inconsistencies surrounding the teens’ ages at the time of their relationship (previously, Hunt’s mother, Kelley, had written in a Facebook post that her daughter was 17 when the relationship began).

According to Laurie, she and her husband told Hunt that the relationship wasn’t right and, by their account, the older teen refused to listen. The “Free Kate” mantra, the Smiths maintain, hasn’t been an accurate one thus far.

“It’s not the way it was. It was quite different,” she said. “We had actually told Miss Hunt that this was wrong.”

The high schooler was allegedly warned twice.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/05/24/theres-a-major-twist-in-the-story-about-a-high-school-students-lesbian-relationship-with-a-minor-as-younger-teens-parents-drop-alleged-bombshell/

• Like 1

I knew there was another side of this story the other parents are speaking out saying there daughter was 14 and the other girl 18 and they felt it was inappropriate for them to be dating she was warned twice, but wouldnt listen so they had no other choice but to go to the police.

Their comments are intriguing, as WPEC-TV claims that the Smith family’s revelations include a “bombshell that will likely turn this investigation on its head.”

And here it apparently is: “Our daughter was 14, and this girl was 18,” Jim told the outlet, clarifying previous inconsistencies surrounding the teens’ ages at the time of their relationship (previously, Hunt’s mother, Kelley, had written in a Facebook post that her daughter was 17 when the relationship began).

According to Laurie, she and her husband told Hunt that the relationship wasn’t right and, by their account, the older teen refused to listen. The “Free Kate” mantra, the Smiths maintain, hasn’t been an accurate one thus far.

“It’s not the way it was. It was quite different,” she said. “We had actually told Miss Hunt that this was wrong.”

The high schooler was allegedly warned twice.

http://www.theblaze....eged-bombshell/

Just saw this on The Blaze.

Just goes to show we shouldn't be too quick to judge these parents. There is always two sides to every story.

When their daughter began acting out, as many teens do, she ran away. Jim called the shock “the worst thing” that he has ever experienced. Assuming that she wouldn’t have willingly fled, the parents initially assumed that someone took her — but that wasn’t the case.

After being told to stay away from their daughter, Kate purportedly picked up the 14-year-old. Because the relationship apparently didn’t stop, despite the aforementioned warnings, the Smiths said they had no choice but to turn to the law.

As far as the issue of homosexuality goes, Laurie and Jim seemed perplexed in their WPEC-TV interview. While they have been painted as anti-gay in media and slapped with allegations that they blame Hunt for their daughter’s sexuality, the embattled parents said that this isn’t how they feel about the issue.

“They made me seem as if I’m a monster,” Laurie said of bloggers’ attacks, noting that she and her husband have turned to the media to get their story out. “That’s why I’m talking to you…The stories that people are saying…I love my daughter and I am willing to do whatever to protect her.”

Taken from http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/05/24/theres-a-major-twist-in-the-story-about-a-high-school-students-lesbian-relationship-with-a-minor-as-younger-teens-parents-drop-alleged-bombshell/

What the heck is a 18 year old doing with a 14 year old?

Something is not right about that....

Actually it's illegal for the persons in question to have sex because their minors. It becomes a different 'more serious' legal matter the day the one turned 18. Stupid, because like I said earlier most kids don't even know these laws they're breaking exist. It's not because they're dumb but because they've never been told underage sex is a crime.

Mabon.

It seems to me that when a society looks to its government for moral leadership, lets its government define what is right or wrong, that society is rather worshipping a false god. Its faith is misplaced. Government should not be considered a source of moral leadership.

It would be nice IF government happens to be moral, but that is a most rare condition.

Rafterman

I'm pretty sure we agree that the (generic) state cannot pass just any old law it wishes. In the case of the Federal government, for example, according to the Constitution, the government can pass laws ONLY "for carrying into execution the foregoing powers".

So can the state legitimately criminalize relations between consenting persons? If so, by what authority?

And whatever the answer, we must keep in mind that criminal laws do not really stop the targeted behavior, they simply allow a civilized framework within which such behavior might be punished. Further, we must remember that MOST laws have far more unintended consequences than successful achievements.

Since we're not talking about Federal law, your point is mute is it not? And yes, the State (FL in this case) can criminalize behavior. You keep talking about consenting adults, but as has been said numerous times in this thread, the 15 year old (or perhaps 14 as we've learned) cannot legally consent in this case. So again, that point is mute as well.

I'd be interested in your data that MOST laws have far more unintended consequences than successful achievements. What are the unintended consequences of red lights for example?

Rafterman

My points might have been MOOT, as regarding state v. federal jurisdiction, but the questions they raise are relevant.

Traffic laws might be that rare class of statutes with no particular unintended consequences, but to properly answer the question is beyond the scope of this thread.

Maybe I'm mistaking what you're saying, but it seems you're suggesting that the state can pass any law it wishes, and criminalize any action at all? Is that what you mean to say?

It seems to me that when a society looks to its government for moral leadership, lets its government define what is right or wrong, that society is rather worshipping a false god. Its faith is misplaced. Government should not be considered a source of moral leadership.

It would be nice IF government happens to be moral, but that is a most rare condition.

I tend to agree with your statement because no law will ever instil morality nor should it try to. Law is there to insure the redress and is not a deterrent, which is why I stated earlier in the thread that most high school students don't know they are breaking the law when they have consensual sex and they should be educated about it in sex education so there is no confusion. Sadly a lot of parents want to hide their heads in the sand when it comes to their kids having sex and don't think or don't want to think about it and rarely talk to their kids about sex. When and if they do talk to their kids about it they leave out the legal aspect, either through their own ignorance or hope that the moral issue of sex before marriage will be enough to discourage underage sex and it hasn't yet. Kids are told the laws regarding operating a car, so why aren't they told about the laws regarding one of humans most basic drives?

Mabon.

• Like 2

To me, this isn't about the government telling people what to do, or laws or anything like that. Ultimately, it is up to the PARENTS since the girl is 14 years old. The 18 year old should have respected the wishes of the girls parents, and realized that a relationship with a 14 year old is not a very good idea. That being said, I hope the 18 year old realizes she was wrong to pursue this relationship, and in the future shows better judgement. I don't want her life to be ruined because she made a poor decision. But the parents really didn't have much choice.

Ask yourself if you would let your 14 year old date a 18 year old?

I wouldn't. Of course, my sons not allowed to date until I'm dead, so.... :)

• Like 3

Hey Kowalski,

LOL! Most good parents feel that way!

I agree wit your point the 18 year old should have. I can understand the parents being off about the relationship because as it turns out the older girl was 18 when the relationship started. To me it's no different because of the gender, it's to do with the maturity factor of the two. It sucks and it's hard on the two involved but that's life. It would have to be very special circumstances for me to allow that age difference to date. It would be very supervised!

I saw this in my own family a while back.

The rules were very clear

1. No alone car dates.

2. No seeing each other when not supervised. AKA no sneaking around.

3. The older person is encouraged to spend time with the younger persons family doing family things.

4. If you break any of the rules it's over.

It didn't take long for the romance to run it course and for them both to move on. The more you protest sometimes the worse it can be and the more determined the two will be to get together and sneak off and get into mischief.

I wouldn't go back to that age for all the money in the world!

Mabon.

• Like 2

Hey Kowalski,

LOL! Most good parents feel that way!

I agree wit your point the 18 year old should have. I can understand the parents being off about the relationship because as it turns out the older girl was 18 when the relationship started. To me it's no different because of the gender, it's to do with the maturity factor of the two. It sucks and it's hard on the two involved but that's life. It would have to be very special circumstances for me to allow that age difference to date. It would be very supervised!

I saw this in my own family a while back.

The rules were very clear

1. No alone car dates.

2. No seeing each other when not supervised. AKA no sneaking around.

3. The older person is encouraged to spend time with the younger persons family doing family things.

4. If you break any of the rules it's over.

It didn't take long for the romance to run it course and for them both to move on. The more you protest sometimes the worse it can be and the more determined the two will be to get together and sneak off and get into mischief.

I wouldn't go back to that age for all the money in the world!

Mabon.

:tu: