Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Planet is suffering a swarm of earthquakes

seeder

Anyone been feeling the earth move recently?

"Planet reeling from a swarm of earthquakes over last 72 hours"

May 15, 2013 – GEOLOGY – A flurry of earthquakes continues across the planet over the past 72 hours, showing few signs of abatement. Seismic tension continues to build across the Pacific Plate, the Cocos plate (Central America), and the Nazca plate, near South America. Tectonic plate agitation appears to be increasing, along with volcanic pressures under many of the world’s major volcanoes.

http://theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com/2013/05/15/planet-reeling-from-a-swarm-of-earthquakes-over-last-72-hours/

An article from a blog called "The Extinction Protocol 2012 and beyond." Doesn't that ring any alarms? Multiple earthquakes occur every day. This is not anything new. Minor earthquakes occur nearly constantly. Slightly larger ones less so, but still daily.

• Like 3

WOAH there - a site calling itself "The Extinction Protocol"?

- a site that has no cite or source for its alleged 'data'?

- a site that only provides a link to a Yahoo news story that does not support either the headline or the story?

- a site that uses the term 'swarm' in regards to earthquakes, exactly like the lunatic Nancy Lieder?

Seriously, this is worthy of putting into the Science and Space section, as if it were some sort of real research? I beg to differ, and have to ask, Seeder, are you in anyway associated with that site or Nancy Lieder?

Did you actually research this at any recognised authority or scientific body that studies earthquakes? In particular, how is any displayed data or claimed increase normalised/averaged, and how does the last 72 hours compare against the last 100 or so 72 hour periods?

That would be what I would expect to see in any such research, accompanied with the full sourcing of the data being graphed. That site has none of that. I think the reason for that might be rather obvious... but await being proven wrong by the provision of the actual data and the sources thereof, so the claims can be verified. Or completely dismissed, as I think may be the case...

Edited by Chrlzs
  • Like 2

Did you actually research this at any recognised authority or scientific body that studies earthquakes? In particular, how is any displayed data or claimed increase normalised/averaged, and how does the last 72 hours compare against the last 100 or so 72 hour periods?

stop ranting mate, thats all you ever do to most posts you reply too, you come across as bitter, negative, someone no-one can talk to...

so Mr Smarty, do you ever research before posting your replies?

http://www.emsc-csem.org/#4w

You can check all activity by hours to last 2 weeks :tu:

• Like 5

stop ranting mate

No, but thanks for asking.

thats{sic} all you ever do to most posts you reply too{sic}

Oh, I don't know. As you can see, I also sometimes nitpick about spelling errors and grammar, make the odd joke, even do *real* research, if it is warranted. But in this case, it isn't my claim, so I think that should fall onto you as the indirect claimant, seeing that website gave absolutely no supporting evidence for the claim whatsoever.

you come across as bitter, negative, someone no-one can talk to...

Well .. you are.. And I'm not at all bitter - but I am indeed very negative to stuff that is wrong or misleading... :)

so Mr Smarty, do you ever research before posting your replies?

Yes, in most cases I make sure I am on VERY sound footing before I reply. That's the reason why I am very rarely caught making an error or being proven wrong. Go on, browse over my posts and see if you can find an example.. Do you think you will do so here?

The thing is, me being a Mr Smarty and all, and having actually worked in the sciences for a very, very long time, I recognise ill-researched claptrap when I see it. Up above, I'm seein' it.

http://www.emsc-csem.org/#4w

You can check all activity by hours to last 2 weeks

I'm a bit puzzled - was that link in the article you pointed at? (Hint - NO, it wasn't)

So that means you researched it, and found that it backed up your/the article's claim, right?

Well, I'm sorry, but ... no, it doesn't. I'm afraid the thumbs up smilie doesn't count for much.

But anyway, this is your claim - so in your own words, tell the eager audience exactly how those maps support the claim, which I will quote for you, in case you've lost track:

Planet reeling from a swarm of earthquakes over last 72 hours

Now, call me an amateur at this geology stuff, but examining those maps, I just don't see the 72 hour 'swarm' - point it out would you? And show the comparison to other 72 hour periods, and the average...

I thank you in anticipation!

• Like 2

Nope, no earth movement here, or anywhere around here. No reports recently, no news, no media coverages or anything. Why do you ask? Hoax.

Nope, no earth movement here, or anywhere around here. No reports recently, no news, no media coverages or anything. Why do you ask? Hoax.

The majortiy of earthquakes dont get reported on the news, it's only the big ones and not the smaller ones.

• Like 1

There's definitely been a hell of a lot of large earthquakes recently, all happening at the same time...

• Like 2

is 'swarm' an appropriate collective noun for earthquakes?

how about a 'shudder', or a 'reeling', or a 'whathefu...?!'

:-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone been feeling the earth move recently?

"Planet reeling from a swarm of earthquakes over last 72 hours"

May 15, 2013 – GEOLOGY – A flurry of earthquakes continues across the planet over the past 72 hours, showing few signs of abatement. Seismic tension continues to build across the Pacific Plate, the Cocos plate (Central America), and the Nazca plate, near South America. Tectonic plate agitation appears to be increasing, along with volcanic pressures under many of the world’s major volcanoes.

http://theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com/2013/05/15/planet-reeling-from-a-swarm-of-earthquakes-over-last-72-hours/

Yes, I agree that something is going and is probably related to the mystery booming heard recently in the UK and previously in the U.S. Mysterious, unexplained “booms” in Alabama, Georgia, Wisconsin
I had reports of the ground shaking, very loud, explosive type booms, rattling dishes, and shaking windows from about 10 counties across Central Alabama, with the most intense reports from parts of Chilton, Bibb, southern Shelby, and Coosa counties.

Image showing some seismic activity during the booms heard/felt in Alabama on March 6, 2012. Image Credit: Steve Jones of alabamaquake.com

On Alabamawx.com, Steve Jones of alabamaquake.com writes:

“Actually, I see two *sets* of impulses in the filtered / magnified seismogram…there looks to be 7 or 8 discrete pulses in each group, starting at approximately 4:29:35 pm CST and then again at about 4:29:55 pm CST, with each group lasting several seconds. Does this fit with the “ground truth” reports of repeated rumblings that you have been getting from this afternoon? (Yes, it does) The impulses look “non-seismic” and have the appearance of some sort of man-made explosions. Beyond that, I just don’t know…”

In southeast Georgia on the morning of March 15, 2012, residents around Brantley, Camden, Charlton, Glynn and McIntosh counties felt buildings shake and people heard loud noises between the times of 8:15 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. The U.S. Geological Survey released information that there were no earthquakes or seismic activity reported in the area. Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay, the Navy, and Army reported that there were no tests or planes that could have created a sonic boom. The Federal Aviation Administration did not have any reports or signs to show aircraft going supersonic.

Earlier this week, more booms were heard and felt in and around the city of Clintonville, Wisconsin. Small seismic activity was reported, and is now the “official” reason people felt and heard the booms. However, I do not buy this theory. Small seismic activity such as this would not create a loud noise and cause that much shaking, especially if it is small seismic activity less than a 2.0 quake. Many residents felt rounds of booms, and some were so scared, that they were evacuating their homes.

is 'swarm' an appropriate collective noun for earthquakes?

how about a 'shudder', or a 'reeling', or a 'whathefu...?!'

:-)

"Swarm" is used for an unusually large number of quakes along a single or interconnected fault system. But that's a large number over geologic time scales. "Frequent" can mean one every 300 years or so. For example, the Cascadia Fault has three to five major quakes at 300-year intervals, then takes a couple millennia off. Those quakes that group at 300-year intervals are a swarm.

Doug