Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chimpanzee Anger Research

Insanity

Chimpanzees and bonobos have temper tantrums when their decisions don't play out as they'd hoped, hinting that humans aren't the only species to let emotions influence their choices.

These non-human apes pout, whimper, scratch themselves and bang on things when a risky choice fails to pay off or when they have to wait for a desired reward, according to new research published Wednesday (May 29) in the journal PLOS ONE.

"Even though animals don't engage in economic behavior like humans with money, the psychological skills that humans bring to the table when making economic decisions seem to be shared with animals," said study leader Alexandra Rosati, a postdoctoral researcher in psychology at Yale University.

http://www.huffingto..._n_3358721.html

• Like 1

I knew it!

women are descended from chimps!!

(and football players!)

:-)

• Like 2

Doesn't surprise me. Chimps have been known to make spears to kill Monkeys with, murder and rape other Chimps too.

• Like 2

I knew it!

women are descended from chimps!!

(and football players!)

lol men are descended from Baboons. :yes:
  • Like 1

SIGH!!!!!!

You need them to bang their hands on the wall and shriek in agony to notice they're angry? I guess science can't read emotions as well as me. I must be some kind of a psychic. (I expect a lot of people to detect sarcasm in this, maybe I'm a foreteller too) >.<

lol men are descended from Baboons. :yes:

I agree, descended not ascended. We're devolved from them. :D

Edited by Mikko-kun
  • Like 2

Doesn't surprise me. Chimps have been known to make spears to kill Monkeys with, murder and rape other Chimps too.

I know what you mean Hil, I once watched a David Attenborough (St David be praised!) documentary on chimpanzees hunting other chimps and they're very sneaky & bloodthirsty.

they tracked another group of chimps through the jungle, and when they attacked they had groups of chimps in the trees chasing the other group onto the jungle floor, where the other half of the first group were waiting for them in an ambush, and when they caught them, they literally tore them to pieces while they were still alive!!

very disturbing sight for a young, growing lad to be watching, and i've never thought of chimps being cute, cuddly 'cheetah' monkeys ever again!

Edited by shrooma
  • Like 1

I know what you mean Hil, I once watched a David Attenborough (St David be praised!) documentary on chimpanzees hunting other chimps and they're very sneaky & bloodthirsty.

they tracked another group of chimps through the jungle, and when they attacked they had groups of chimps in the trees chasing the other group onto the jungle floor, where the other half of the first group were waiting for them in an ambush, and when they caught them, they literally tore them to pieces while they were still alive!!

very disturbing sight for a young, growing lad to be watching, and i've never thought of chimps being cute, cuddly 'cheetah' monkeys ever again!

I know they can be cold blooded killers. They are very strong too, wouldn't want one after me.
  • Like 1

Hilander is spot on.

We have seen documented evidence of Chimps acting equally as bad as their human counterparts.. For some reason It does look worse than human behavior, because we don't expect it from a close living relative.

• Like 1

Chimpanzees and bonobos have temper tantrums when their decisions don't play out as they'd hoped

Sounds like a lot of us here during discussions. I wonder if they have accounts?

Smile, it is a joke.

• Like 3

Hilander is spot on.

We have seen documented evidence of Chimps acting equally as bad as their human counterparts.. For some reason It does look worse than human behavior, because we don't expect it from a close living relative.

You expect a wild animal to kill but not like they do. Not for food but with hate, just the desire to get rid of them.
  • Like 1

From the study cited;

"Overall, our results indicate that chimpanzees and bonobos show affective and motivational responses when making decisions. In the temporal task, apes responded more negatively to waiting, exhibiting all three target behaviors more often following a choice for the delayed option. In the risk task they responded negatively to undesired outcomes, producing all three target behaviors more often when they chose the risky option and received the low-value payoff. In addition, apes selectively attempted to switch their choices following undesired outcomes. "

"Overall, these results indicate decision-making in apes involves affective and motivational processes, similar to those seen in humans."

Wow, who would have thought?

"An important consideration for future research is whether these emotional responses play a causal role in ape decision-making, as they do in humans."

Yup, every research paper ends with the need for more funding/grants , er, research.

Brilliant. /sigh

Well, at least they didn't kill them after to see how it affected their hippocampus and amygdala.

• Like 2

Yup, every research paper ends with the need for more funding/grants , er, research.

I wish I could cross stuff out, it looks dead good!

stoopid phone....

*sulks-throws rattle out of pram-exhibits chimp-like characteristics*

My pet birds have bad tempers if they are made mad