Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mermaid Maniac !

Strong Flower

I saw many of the comments in the other mermaid thread. Of course not everyone is going to agree on their existence. Its almost like a clash of the believers and sceptics. I must admit, I did get a strange infatuation toward them. Out of all of the videos, this one was the most captivating. The main reason why I started this thread was mainly because i'm focused on the artwork and the reality that there are some animals that are kind of like spinoffs of the our race and can adapt to other environments. I say spinoffs, meaning very closely related to us (like apes), although I don't believe we evolved from any animals and I think we are evolutionarily distinct.

*snip*

Edited by Saru
Removed copyrighted video and images

Nope, not into mer-people.

I think there a cool concept, not as cool as some of the other creatures from legends and myths

That video is as fake as donald trumps hair. Good cinematography and editing. It was to do with the mermaid found programme. It's not something you would really want to see on a factual network like AP though imo.

Edited by danbell06

That video is as fake as donald trumps hair. Good cinematography and editing. It was to do with the mermaid found programme. It's not something you would really want to see on a factual network like AP though imo.

LMAO I thought donald trumps hair was actually real it just looks really fake

Darn, I was actually hoping for a decent video and not more of the Animal Planet crap.

Almost like a clash between believers and skeptics? That is indeed exactly what it is is it not?

With the Art, personally, I prefer the classic interpretations. Such as this.

220px-Waterhouse_a_mermaid.jpg

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 4

Yup, I thought the Trumpsters hair was real, its just a master class in the comb over and comb forward to cover up the barren areas...

As for Mermaids...

• Women who live by/on the sea who earn a living/survive by diving great depths for long periods of time, they exist and are fascinating.
  • Half woman/half fish creatures secretly living in our seas, come on get a life. Do you really believe this?
  • Finding images and stories of these creatures fascinating, alluring or even erotic. Good on you, enjoy your hobby. ;)

Edited to add an opinion on Mermaids as well as Donald Trumps hair.

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1

I actually just yesterday watched the whole mockumentary on AP (if anyone wants to check it out -

) and thought it was fun that they used a really well known mythological creature as example of new species to illustrate how we are damaging the oceans. I mean, that's mostly how I read the whole thing, though you never know when people have gone crazy.

I was really into mermaids when I was younger but I blame the really good books I had around to read. The aquatic ape theory isn't the wildest thing out there but I just don't think it's feasible that we wouldn't know if mermaids actually existed. Oh well, whatever.

Edited by skytwister

My wife has been watching that new mermaids show on T.V. and I just can't get into it. The whole thing sounds fishy to me. :whistle:

• Like 1

My wife has been watching that new mermaids show on T.V. and I just can't get into it. The whole thing sounds fishy to me. :whistle:

I only liked your post Biff as this is the worst joke I have seen you post on UM and it made me feel better about my standard of humour... ;)

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 2

I only liked your post Biff as this is the worst joke I have seen you post on UM and it made me feel better about my standard of humour... ;)

Well, I can't be a master comic all the time you know. :tu:

• Like 1

Almost like a clash between believers and skeptics? That is indeed exactly what it is is it not?

With the Art, personally, I prefer the classic interpretations. Such as this.

220px-Waterhouse_a_mermaid.jpg

The only thing is... that art has no accuracy. IF THEY ARE REAL, they would not look like that. THIS WOULD COME MUCH CLOSER blue_mermaid_by_oenyxa-d491f4y.png

The only thing is... that art has no accuracy. IF THEY ARE REAL, they would not look like that. THIS WOULD COME MUCH CLOSER

Can you argue the look of a mythical creature?

But I do see your thinking Spore, looks more aquatic and one creature (rather than a mix of two). Rather than closer to what they would look like I would say this is just a more modern take on a classic image or maybe me and Psyche are just older than you ;)

Your image reminded me of the Zora from the Zelda games...

zora_zpse72aeebf.jpg

• Like 2

The only thing is... that art has no accuracy. IF THEY ARE REAL, they would not look like that. THIS WOULD COME MUCH CLOSER blue_mermaid_by_oenyxa-d491f4y.png

????

The main reason why I started this thread was mainly because i'm focused on the artwork

I do believe the classic artwork is much more fascinating. I love the concept, seas full of beautiful topless women does not upset my day at all.

Why do you think a Mermaid would have eyebrows, Vulcan ears and a Mohawk?

If they are real, then I think they look like this:

300px-Ama.jpg

The Japanese Ama seems a likely origin of the myth.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

????

I do believe the classic artwork is much more fascinating. I love the concept, seas full of beautiful topless women does not upset my day at all.

If they are real, then I think they look like this:

300px-Ama.jpg

The Japanese Ama seems a likely origin of the myth.

I did not say they had eyebrows and a mohawk. I said my picture was much closer as far as facial features, skull shape and skin texture.

It is. So I guess the same could be said about the mermaid......?

• Like 1

Mermaid.jpeg

In other news, local Wiccan and hash farmer Kristy Hanson was found dead today in a local lake.

• Like 2

I did not say they had eyebrows and a mohawk. I said my picture was much closer as far as facial features, skull shape and skin texture.

They are facial features I thought? But they do not suit a watery environment. We have eyebrows to help keep moisture out of our eyes when we sweat or walk around in the rain. The arch shape diverts the rain or sweat around to the sides of our face, keeping our eyes relatively dry. Not much use underwater. They should not have any at all.

Mermaids are purported to be magical aren't they, as purported in the movie: Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides couldn't they look how they want? And considering the classical description seems to be much more in line with Old Sailors tales, would that not indicate a classic interpretation is likely to be more accurate?

You're trying to bring evolution into the mix, but science and myth do not often agree with each other.

In other news, local Wiccan and hash farmer Kristy Hanson was found dead today in a local lake.

Ohh come on, don't be so negative.

Edited by psyche101

They are facial features I thought? But they do not suit a watery environment. We have eyebrows to help keep moisture out of our eyes when we sweat or walk around in the rain. The arch shape diverts the rain or sweat around to the sides of our face, keeping our eyes relatively dry. Not much use underwater. They should not have any at all.

Mermaids are purported to be magical aren't they, as purported in the movie: Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides couldn't they look how they want? And considering the classical description seems to be much more in line with Old Sailors tales, would that not indicate a classic interpretation is likely to be more accurate?

You're trying to bring evolution into the mix, but science and myth do not often agree with each other.

LIKEWISE... Many of the Native American tribes even said big-foot has magical powers, as well as many other cryptids :geek: . On the AP documentary they showed a possibly real mermaid I think from the late 1800s or early 1900s. It fits the aquatic look> check it out
(they show the full body around the end of the video) Edited by Spore

????

I agree about the topless women... :tu:

And if homo aquaticus really existed, I'd think a female would look more like this...

bluemermaidbyoenyxad491.jpg

• Like 1

Mermaid

I saw many of the comments in the other mermaid thread. Of course not everyone is going to agree on their existence. Its almost like a clash of the believers and sceptics.

I don't think there is any clash or debate. Mermaids are a creature of mythologie.The concept traces it's origin from Ancient Greek and it is fictional. You won't see a maiden mi-human mi-fish on a a rock singing to your doom. :tu:

Edited by sam_comm

Mermaid

I don't think there is any clash or debate. Mermaids are a creature of mythologie.The concept traces it's origin from Ancient Greek and it is fictional. You won't see a maiden mi-human mi-fish on a a rock singing to your doom. :tu:

maybe so :ph34r:

LIKEWISE... Many of the Native American tribes even said big-foot has magical powers, as well as many other cryptids :geek: .

Mythical creatures tend to have magic in their toolkit. Being made up, they are capable of just about anything. It's why we can have classical Mermaids and still not buck the system.

On the AP documentary they showed a possibly real mermaid I think from the late 1800s or early 1900s. It fits the aquatic look> check it out

(they show the full body around the end of the video)

Nah, none of it was real. That one is a sequel to "The Body Found".

LINK - 'Mermaids: The New Evidence': Never-Before-Seen Footage Of Mermaids Allegedly (VIDEO)

On "Mermaids: The New Evidence," Animal Planet revisited its documentary about the existence of mermaids from last year, "Mermaids: The Body Found." Biologist Dr. Paul Robertson returned with what appeared to be brand new footage of the alleged mythical creatures, allegedly taken this spring in the Greenland Sea.

Viewers were glued to the TV watching the new special, getting "Mermaids: The New Evidence" trending on Twitter.

But the whole thing is a hoax -- the original documentary was revealed to be staged. Discovery, Animal Planet's parent company, described the program as "science fiction" based on "scientific theory."

The executive producer of "Mermaids: The New Evidence" told the Mother Nature Network that he wanted people to think it was real -- that's why they made it look like a documentary.

LINK - Mermaid Video: 'New Evidence' Draws Millions In; Sparks More Viral Funny Mermaid Memes [PHOTOS]

Charlie Foley, creator, writer, and show runner of the mermaid video series, told Mother Nature Network his shows work because "you can believe they are real, and personally, I don't think there's any story more appealing than a legend that can be believed."

The presentation, as a whole, has been called a "genius hoax."

"These extraordinary television specials have electrified, challenged and entertained television audiences and online fans alike," Animal Planet president Marjorie Kaplansaid, as quoted by Entertainment Weekly.

"Mermaids aren't real: Animal Planet's fake documentaries misrepresent ocean life,"Twitter user @Ryan_Wilkins_ opined.

Mixed reactions were sparked by Animal Planet's mermaid series. Some were entertained, others were aghast by the style of presentation or video treatment. Others were simply annoyed by how well the fake documentary was received.

LINK - 'Mermaids: The New Evidence' reels in highest Animal Planet ratings of all time

But not everyone thought that the program’s impact was necessarily positive. LA Times writer and “TV Skeptic” Ed Stockly wrote, "It's remarkable how well this fake documentary mimics actual programs claiming to reveal actual creatures.

That representation at the end of the show just reminded me of PT Barnums Feejee mermaid noted early in that very piece.

LINK - ‘Mermaids: The New Evidence’ is the worst thing I’ve ever seen on TV

There’s absolutely no hyperbole in that title. Last night on Animal Planet I caught the replay of “Mermaids: The New Evidence,” the follow-up to Discovery Channel’s abysmally bad, misleading and rage-inducing “docufiction” from last year, “Mermaids: The Body Found.” It’s the worst TV I’ve ever seen. Nothing else comes even close.

Last night’s special was even further from reality from the first documentary, which at least went through more trouble to appear legitimate-looking. Instead of being comprised of talking head interviews, it was done almost in the style of an extended round-table on a 24-hour news network, which I suppose is fitting in an odd way. A shill of a host acted as the “moderator,” asking canned questions to our returning star and conquering hero from the past program, “Dr. Paul Robertson,” a man touted as being “a former researcher for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.” Other guests were brought forward to share their own mermaid revelations and screen poor CGI footage of supposed mermaid encounters.

As we can see, just like the myth itself, some like the show, some do not. I like my classical representations, they really do seem wondrous, which is what being a Mermaid is all about I would think.

And then again, to immerse oneself in the fantasy, we always have the World Weekly News, who deny nobody.

U.S. CONFIRMS EXISTENCE OF MERMAIDS

The_Mermaid__the_Sailors.jpg