Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bolivia 'Rapist' Buried Alive With Victim

seeder

Im not sure how I feel about this story... on the one,hand - rapists/murderers do incite hatred of themselves for their crimes, and rightly so, but at least in the western world they get to have a trial to establish guilt beyond a reasonable doubt....

But in Bolivia? Surely even they wouldn't want an alleged offender buried in the same grave as the alleged victim?

"Bolivia 'Rapist' Buried Alive With Victim"

A suspected rapist and murderer has been buried alive in the grave of his alleged victim by enraged villagers, according to reports.

Santos Ramos, 17, had been identified by Bolivian police as a possible culprit in the death of 35-year-old Leandra Arias Janco.

More than 200 residents took the law into their own hands, reportedly seizing the teenager during the woman's funeral earlier this week and burying him alongside his victim.

The villagers in Colquechaca, in the Potosi district of Bolivia's southern highlands, then blocked a road to prevent police and prosecutors from reaching the area, according to an official.

A witness who would not be named said Ramos was tied up before being thrown into the open grave, which was then filled with earth.

Lynchings sometimes occur in rural and poor parts of Bolivia in the absence of a heavy police presence

ETA: sorry forgot to add source:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/bolivia-rapist-buried-alive-victim-024229246.html

Edited by seeder

If only all rapists got buried alive.

• Like 1

No trial, that is not good what if they buried the wrong guy. If he had had a trial I would good we should start that here.

No trial, that is not good what if they buried the wrong guy. If he had had a trial I would good we should start that here.

The reason the UK abandoned the death penalty, well one of the biggest ones anyway, was because they hung an innocent man...

quote: "Timothy Evans was tried and executed in 1950 for the murder of his baby daughter Geraldine. An official inquiry conducted 16 years later determined that it was Evans's fellow tenant, serial killer John Reginald Halliday Christie, who was responsible for the murder. Christie also admitted to the murder of Evans's wife, as well as five other women and his own wife. Christie may have murdered other women, judging by evidence found in his possession at the time of his arrest, but it was never pursued by the police. Evans was posthumously pardoned in 1966. The case had prompted the abolition of capital punishment in the UK in 1965".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrongful_execution#United_Kingdom

Now dont get me wrong, I feel I would kill any man who killed my sons or my parents or partner, I feel that way, I really really do. I guess thats kind of normal for lots of us.

But what if they find out in a few years they buried the wrong guy? Well, wrong kid really as he was just 17?

I dunno, I guess they 'may' be right in believing the suspect is guilty - as its a tight knit and tiny population, hard to keep any business private in communities like those...

But going back to my original point about burying the murdered and the murderer together? Seems a bit odd to me.

Jimmy Saville for ex...the UK pedo - was buried in in a graveyard and it caused terrific anger and calls for his body to be exhumed, so far as I remember the headstone was removed and smashed to smithereens and he lies in an unmarked grave.

So yeh I think its odd they buried the suspect and victim together. Unless its a local tradition to do that?

• Like 2

He is identified by the police as a "possible suspect". I would want to be feeling pretty confident about the police force's investigative credentials before that would carry any weight with me, even then .... just saying.

• Like 1

Also Wednesday in Potosi, residents of the Quechua indigenous community of Tres Cruces stoned to death a suspected thief and burned his accomplice alive, Barrios said. The official said the two had earlier robbed a car and killed its driver.

Lynchings sometimes occur in rural and poor parts of Bolivia were police and other authorities are scarce.

http://endtimebibleprophecy.wordpress.com/2013/06/06/bolivian-villagers-bury-man-alive-in-grave-of-woman-he-allegedly-raped-and-murdered/#more-8649

The rule of law works both ways so ironically but unsurprisingly Bolivia is the worst in the region when it comes to protecting women. This is what happens when the rule of law is lacking...

Nadine Gasman, regional director of a UN campaign against sexual violence, spoke out on Thursday about the findings to coincide with El Día de la Mujer (Bolivia’s National Women’s Day (11 October)). According to Gasman, Bolivia has the highest levels of sexual violence reported by women between the ages of 15 and 49; only Haiti has higher rates of sexual assault.

Of 442.000 reports of violence between 2007 and 2011, only 96 have been prosecuted, says Manuela Ramos of the Centro de Información y Desarollo de la Mujer (Centre for Women’s Information and Development—CIDEM). On Thursday Communications Minister Amanda Dávila pledged the government’s commitment to raising awareness and fighting against domestic violence.

UN study finds Bolivia has the highest rates of domestic violence and sexual assault in the region

• Like 1

Hopefully he was the rapist. Like others have said here, being put to death for a crime you didn't do would be the worst, especially being buried alive!

• Like 1

He was only considered a 'possible suspect' by the police, so i certainly do not support this. If there was irrefutable DNA and other undeniable evidence, then i'd say let them carry out the punishment their own way, just another scumbag off the earth. Guess we'll never know now.