Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Reincarnation

Child of Toothless

I searched this forum for a reincarnation thread. Surprisingly, I never found it. So I just thought I'd make one up myself. So who here believes in reincarnation? You mind if we discuss it? For those who do believe, do you have any ideas of who you were in your past life?

Hi Child of Toothless, and welcome to UM.

Reincarnation is a very interesting topic. I would love to hear about some past life experiences that people have had. I personally, teeter somewhere between gnostic and atheist and am unable to commit to any specific beliefs. I very much hope that we reincarnate because it gives a positive purpose to all of the seemingly unjust and terrible things that happen to people.

Welcome to UM!

I only believe in reincarnation in the sense that I carry something of my ancestors within me and therefore they could be said to be 'reincarnated' in me. I am already 'reincarnated' to some extent, in my son.

I think this definition of reincarnation can account for memories of past lives, plus current attractions to, or feelings of connections with, others.

• Like 1

I think I had a past life.people tell me I have an old soul.

• Like 1

I believe I had many past lives. Especially from those of other dimensions. I have visions of being at sea on some sort of Viking ship.

• Like 1

If we are talking Reincarnation the rebirth of a soul in a new body in a spritual and philsophical way, then..... Im not sure as yet....

However, If one beleives in the materlisitic view of the universe, then Reincarnation of 'one self', and all possiablities that 'one self' can experience must happen.

Based on the nature of Matter - It cannot be destoryed or created. Therefore we have a Finite amount of matter, which with time, evolves, chances and reforms new combination of matter to give new properties.

Now from that we can safely say that if we have a finite number, then we must have a finite amount of combinations that matter can form.

giving enough time, the combinations of matter MUST repeat. Granted, the combinations of matter is a hughly unimaginable number, but still is finite.

So in conclusion, we can safetly say, that this life and any others, that the combination of matter 'you' have been in with, will and most likely has repeated itself.

But if we consider time as it is viewed now, then I cannot imagine enough time will pass by the time the combinations are completed to repeat.

But this process is completely different from the rebirth of a soul in a new body, as science has yet to discover a soul, and it is said that the soul is not phyiscal therefore in the process above the soul itself isnt reincarnated, the phyical body is.

I believe the greatest is illusion is to believe I am here and you are there. We are all one. That includes everyone who has ever lived and will.

Many of the same experiences and beliefs transcend whole cultures too.

Sign me up for collective consciousness.

Related to but not the same,

as reincarnation.

• Like 1

I have heard a lot of people say they think they are "old souls". I am wondering if anybody out there think they are a young, new soul? Anybody?

• Like 1

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=215844&hl

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=174271&st=0&p=3292934&hl=+reincarnation%20#entry3292934

Two older threads that i've been involved in concerning the subject. I put more stock in the notion of Buddhist re-birth. I don't believe or disbelieve in it though. If it is real, it is what it is. It would occur naturally whether I believe in it or not and would be a direct result of my actions in this life, as would the ending of that cycle. Not reward or punishment. So just keep on keepin on, unless you're an a**hole, then you gotta do something about that. Not in regards to Rebirth, just on general principle.

:tu:

• Like 2

Can't say if I remember any previous lives while awake, but I've had dreams over the years where they indicated or made me swear I lived another life in the past. I've also learned about reincarnation since then and that reincarnation is part of a bigger process that involves each one of us. I'll try to give you a short summery of what I've learned about reincarnation over the years just for the sake of interest.....

In certain circles of knowledge, they call it re-existence and it is one part of a spiritual process in soul development. There are three main spiritual laws to gaining soul experience while in the realm of the earth. These three are; the golden rule (as most know it) -> Karma ->re-existence/reincarnation. All three are part of a ongoing process that continues life learning lessons in the realm of the earth. Each one of them go hand in hand and complete the circle of life and the meaning of life, which all comes back to one thing: To learn what not to do and what you should do, to become a master of nature and not to be a servant of it, in which you ascend into a higher plain. Only one known individual in the memory of man has done it.

The easiest way to remember these spiritual laws is in a form of a triangle, with the name of each law at the end of each corner.

The first, the golden rule, is the main philosophical law of life. It's a philosophical law that has been passed on through the ages, through many religions, Christianity is not the first, the words used to convey the meaning were different, but the meaning has always been the same. Basically, you should treat others as you would like them to treat you, since we (our souls) are all part of the same conscious light. Which leads to the second spiritual law......

The second, karma, is the resulting action, good or bad, for each thing I, you, we do to one another. For everything that we do to one another in one life, of each life, we reap what we sow in another life after that. Maybe not the next life afterwards or the one after that, but only when the conditions, place, time are right in that specific lifetime of the soul does karma distribute the positive/negative action. This is why bad things happen to good people in one life and good things happen to bad people in another; but not always, sometimes it's the other way around; which some people might think is natural justice. Which leads to the third spiritual law....

The third, re-existence/reincarnation, is the continuous process, where thereby the soul can maintain and gain negative/positive experience to develop into a final higher state of being and rejoin the higher consciousness of light in the realm of permanence, or heaven as some call it. Without this third spiritual process you would not gain in soul development in order to attain a higher conscious or higher state of being, learn the final difference between good and bad and become a stagnant soul, going nowhere, lost in oblivion. The earth and nature is the learning ground, in that which you must master...specifically nature around you and within yourself. The higher self must become the master and eventually rule the lower self. Continuous re-existence/reincarnation allows one to do that when they're ready.

Anyway, there you go.

As I've replied in other threads, I do believe in the concept of reincarnation. I don't subscribe to the believe of the Hindus and others that it is a mandatory thing, but rather I think it is totally voluntary. I think that when we die, we rest in Heaven for however long we want, and then when we are ready we come back and incarnate into a new form. I really like the analogy of the matrix and how it handles entering the matrix. Just as Neo, Morpheus and others would have their conscious put into the program, our souls undergo something similar. When we decide to incarnate, our soul is "put to sleep" so to speak, so that we can't remember our past lives (and mistakes) nor can we remember anything about Heaven and/or God. We have to learn these things on the Earth if we want to know about them. I believe that our soul is on a grand cosmic journey of learning and enlightenment that takes place over several lifetimes. Very similar to school - we experience a grade, and then are passed on to the next one. Our soul experiences things in one life, and then in the next experiences other things. As far as me having past lives, I'm sure I have - but I just can't remember them. I find it odd that two things seem to feel at home in my hand though - a sword and a deck of cards. For some reason (which may just be a weird psychological tendency) when I hold either of these two items, they just feel right in my hand, like they belong there. Its been this way all my life. But like I said, it doesn't necessarily mean that these feelings come from a past life, maybe just a feeling of security? Anyway, I think I'm rambling ... back to lurking :)

• Like 3

As I've replied in other threads, I do believe in the concept of reincarnation. I don't subscribe to the believe of the Hindus and others that it is a mandatory thing, but rather I think it is totally voluntary. I think that when we die, we rest in Heaven for however long we want, and then when we are ready we come back and incarnate into a new form. I really like the analogy of the matrix and how it handles entering the matrix. Just as Neo, Morpheus and others would have their conscious put into the program, our souls undergo something similar. When we decide to incarnate, our soul is "put to sleep" so to speak, so that we can't remember our past lives (and mistakes) nor can we remember anything about Heaven and/or God. We have to learn these things on the Earth if we want to know about them. I believe that our soul is on a grand cosmic journey of learning and enlightenment that takes place over several lifetimes. Very similar to school - we experience a grade, and then are passed on to the next one. Our soul experiences things in one life, and then in the next experiences other things. As far as me having past lives, I'm sure I have - but I just can't remember them. I find it odd that two things seem to feel at home in my hand though - a sword and a deck of cards. For some reason (which may just be a weird psychological tendency) when I hold either of these two items, they just feel right in my hand, like they belong there. Its been this way all my life. But like I said, it doesn't necessarily mean that these feelings come from a past life, maybe just a feeling of security? Anyway, I think I'm rambling ... back to lurking :)

Now that's interesting you mentioned that. I read in this one book on reincarnation from the New Age section, can't remember when - long time ago, something about certain material things a person is strongly attracted to or particularly have in their possession, from past ages or civilizations, being a possible indicator of having a past life during that time period; when those material things first existed of course.

Let's take the sword you mention for for example, without knowing particularly what kind of sword your talking about, we can't really narrow it down to what time period you may have had a past life in. Since the first swords started appearing around 3,300 B.C. and then from there on.

But in my case we can somewhat, because I have strong attraction to curvy decorated swords, specifically samurai swords. I can narrow it down a little more, I also have strong attraction to the Japanese culture from the Edo Period, specifically the expansion of the martial arts and material things from that era made from paper and bamboo; fans, umbrellas or boxes with secret compartments.

You mentioned a deck of cards, I'm going to assume you mean today's playing cards as in, ace of spades, queen of hearts, jack, etc. since there are different types of cards like the tarot cards used for other purposes. The first set of playing cards were invented in China during the Tang Dynasty (9th century). That's a interesting period in Chinese history, because they say, that is when many advancements in science and technology were made. So maybe you have a past life connection in that period and just maybe you're attracted to the swords of that period as well. There is a nice example of one here in this link, btw....

http://enlightenment...d-tang-dao.html

So maybe you can start there or from there, if what I mentioned catches your strong interest, and look into the Tang Dynasty. Maybe you might feel a familiarity about it all, because maybe there are some other material things or the culture itself from that period that you feel a strong attraction to.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it to you. :)

• Like 2

Reincarnation? I'm very sure I don't want to go through another life. I was lucky to have been born in a semi-civilized country (U.S.A.) What if next I'm born into some third world horror of a life? (Not knocking the third world - just saying.)

Another thing is, if we choose our next life, it seems a lot of souls make bad choices.

If our next life depends on our karma in this life, I don't think we'll ever get out of the kinds of lives we now live. That's not much to look forward to.

I would rather go to a pleasant heaven or just end it.

• Like 1

Thanks for your insight purifier. With regards to the sword issue, its more of just a straight weapon or the typical long sword. I don't feel the same attraction with giant claymores, or a katana for example. I have both a short sword (long thick dagger if you will) that has a roman influence and a typical sword that you would find in medieval Europe. Which coincidentally I am fascinate with. My primary emphasis in my history major in college was medieval Europe. So if I were to assume that I had a past life, I would imagine it was a soldier in the Roman Empire or the middle ages. With regards to the cards, its more the modern cards we use rather than tarot. I've always been very lucky and skilled at poker. So if I were to assume that this came from a past life, I would assume gambler in the old west, which is interesting because I hate guns. Guns don't feel natural to me.

StarMountainKid, I think we get to choose the lessons that we want to learn in our life before we incarnate. When we decide, we stand before God and go over what we want to learn, God then says there's things He wants you to learn. All of us have times in our life where decisions have to be made that affect the rest of our lives. I believe that these are the tests that help our spirit (or soul if you will) to grow. Whether we succeed or fail is irrelevant, as long as we learn from the experience (or at least that's the way I see things). I don't think karma exists as it replies to reincarnation. I do however believe that it exists while we are alive ... you do good things and treat people with respect and good things will come your way. And when you die, you have the option of staying in Heaven and not reincarnating. I have no scriptural evidence (from any holy book) to back up any of my beliefs. Its just things I've thought about over my many years :)

Thanks for your insight purifier. With regards to the sword issue, its more of just a straight weapon or the typical long sword. I don't feel the same attraction with giant claymores, or a katana for example. I have both a short sword (long thick dagger if you will) that has a roman influence and a typical sword that you would find in medieval Europe. Which coincidentally I am fascinate with. My primary emphasis in my history major in college was medieval Europe. So if I were to assume that I had a past life, I would imagine it was a soldier in the Roman Empire or the middle ages. With regards to the cards, its more the modern cards we use rather than tarot. I've always been very lucky and skilled at poker. So if I were to assume that this came from a past life, I would assume gambler in the old west, which is interesting because I hate guns. Guns don't feel natural to me.

Awesome! And there you go, I think you've pretty much got it narrowed down, then. Same here about the playing cards and poker, not skilled mind you, but I love playing the game along with other card games; I like blackjack the most. But I do like guns, specifically the black powder guns used before and during the civil war era, of which I have a large reproduction collection set that I target practice with on a regular basis. There is just something about them that appeals to me, more so than modern guns. Not to mention I have a attraction to other things from the old west, from old security locks to old mechanized machines pulled by horse or mule. Anyway, like you, if were to assume all the attraction to this stuff was to come from a past life, I'd say the old west as well; or at least somewhere between 1750 to 1900. ;)

If anything, it makes one wonder.

• 4 months later...

Hello!

This is my first time on this forum. I am Religious Studies student from Cal State Northridge studying reincarnation and I would love to learn more about the experience!

• 1 month later...

Every new beginning comes from some other beginnings end..

Before life there was something,

After life there is something,

Even when your life if through,

There's something to look forward to..

I've recently had a bit of insight into reincarnation that came as a bit of a surprise to me..

But what troubles me, is why the cloak and dagger secrecy?

Why this mysterious unwritten law that states that one life can have memory of the previous, and yet, can suffer the subtle energy consequences of past lives misdeeds?

Any insight folks?

I've recently had a bit of insight into reincarnation that came as a bit of a surprise to me..

Care to share some?

Since I was a kid i've always felt that I was a male, a soldier during WW2. My feelings that overwhelm me whenever I think about it tell me that the last location I've visited was Ukraine. I must have died in war because I feel nothing towards the possibility that I've lived long and aged to become an old man. Before I searched into Reincarnation in the past, i've noticed how much I got emotional whenever I came across a WW2 documentaries, drove past a military base, came face to face with military men. Anything WW2 related will make me feel really uncomfortable and a feeling of Nostalgia overwhelms me. I'm still experiencing it all even now. The simple thought about the WW2 era brings back images of locations that I could have visited in the past and the same emotional discomfort follows. But again, it's hard for me to believe in Reincarnation. The Abrahamic religions oppose Reincarnation, but what if there were hidden secrets in the Torah, Bible and Korean concerning Reincarnations? Buddhism has a different point of view.

Care to share some?

There is not much to tell really..

I was told by a Reiki Master/Clairvoyant that some of the issues I've had with my Solar plexus was due to a past life death caused by a spear through the solar plexus.. I wasn't told much, only that in this past life I had betrayed some people, hence why I was killed. This happened in ancient grease BTW..

... Though I do have an interest in past life, and do feel this this can occur, I am struggling to find any clue in my own life that can point to this being a reality in the subtle areas of my consciousness.. I've little interest in grease.. I can only recall one dream where I knew I was in grease.. My higher self has never given me a clue that I've been here in a past life.. The Insight I have about this past life IMO is a case of believe it or not, and to be honest, I've got no insight other than the words of a clairvoyant to go by, which is far to great a leap of faith for me to give.

Russia on the other hand is a country that I somehow feel connected to at subtle levels.. But grease? nope..

I believe in reincarnation. It seems most things in the Universe recycle in some way, why not us? I've had personal experiences with myself and my son that support the belief in my mind, but yes, I understand they are in no way proof of anything.

I'll share with you something I find absolutely fascinating regarding the idea of reincarnation...

First, it's probably important to define what I'm talking about with respect to reincarnation-- specifically I'm limiting the concept to that of being 'born again' as a human being, not as a plant or animal or something else, but simply as a new being--- a new life.

In the book of Revelation we get a peek at many 'other worldly' ideas-- a glimpse of what happens next regarding our existence. Contained within are seven letters to seven churches each of which contain a promise to "those who overcome" (the world).

Things like-- "I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God." (eternal life)

Here's another-- "He who overcomes will not be hurt at all by the second death. (spiritual death)

And this--- "To him that overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna (knowledge). I will also give him a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to him who receives it."

This "white stone" is a new life.... with a new identity--- a new name known only to him that receives it.

The concept of a white stone was familiar to the readers at the time the scripture was written and it conveys the idea of a token, or-- a ticket to ride if you will. Essentially, when you die physically-- your spirit returns to God and your life (worth) is measured and weighed (judged) on fair scales and your future is determined by 'what is best' done with/for you... Those (spirits) who "remain" productive are returned to life anew-- with new souls (white stone) to live again-- without any consciousness of ever having been here before-- (a new name known only to him who receives it).

http://youtu.be/Tezx03k8W4s

I searched this forum for a reincarnation thread. Surprisingly, I never found it. So I just thought I'd make one up myself. So who here believes in reincarnation? You mind if we discuss it? For those who do believe, do you have any ideas of who you were in your past life?

I do believe in reincarnation. This belief stems mainly from my very strong belief that it takes more than 60 to 90 years for a soul to mature. Now I will attempt to, as clearly as I can, explain the philosophical reasoning for my beliefs.

1) If we are "made in gods image" our soul would be more likely to be "like god" than our physical body or shell would.

2) If god created us "in his image" IMO it would then follow that he would want us to strive to have a pure soul like his/hers is.

3)I do not believe a human being will reincarnate into anything other than another human being. Being punished by coming back as an animal doesn't happen IMO coming back is punishment or reward enough and so will be the karma you carry from your previous life.

4) I also have a theory as to why we hurt so badly why bad things happen etc.....if god is pure, as is thought, a pure untainted god, cannot by itself feel pain and suffering heartbreak or even pure joy, because joy must have an opposite emotion to truly be felt. The same as a rich man will never enjoy a steak as much as a poor man will. At the end of each life god will feel the pain we suffered as much as if he/she had lived it with you.

5) I do not believe reincarnation is everlasting. I believe that as you go through your lives your soul matures a little more with each life and each lesson that life leaves your soul with, until a time when the soul decides that it cannot take anymore lives, or that it cannot learn anymore lessons, at which point the soul will "return to god". When I say return to god I believe god to be pure light, our souls are pieces of this pure light, and when we chose to be done we go back into the light that IS god.