Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dreamliner 787 Li Battery & Flyby Anomaly

NatureBoff

I've just watched Channel 4's 'Terror In The Skies' last night and was amazed that the industry is content with not knowing the cause of the two recent events which grounded the Dreamliner 787 until 27th April 2013; (i) Jan 16 2103 Tokyo (ii) Jan 07 2013 Boston. The lithium batteries are much lighter than previous batteries and therefore feature highly in the latest aircraft designs. There's two complete mysteries which need solving in the aeronautical industry imv. The Earth flyby anomaly is relevant due to the latest high flying super-aircraft in development which skim the Earth's outer atmosphere. Is it too much to consider that the two may be connected?? A mystery force which acts on the batteries or fluids of the satellites and which also can act on the lithium batteries of the new aircraft designs?

Boeing 787 Dreamliner battery problems

Flyby Anomaly

Edited by RingFenceTheCity

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NatureBoff

• Waspie_Dwarf

• keithisco

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically you are referring to 2 unrelated events...

1. The "Fly - By" anomaly: whilst evident (not just with Earth Fly - By) is an intriguing mystery that has yet to be resolved and certainly has no known effect on any terresetrial aeronautics

2. The Lithium Battery problems (with the 787) I have already stated (in my previous thread) as being unsatisfactorily concluded, and from my own perspective inside the Industry, is highly probelemmatic. It is beyond any measure of belief that a Root Cause has not been discovered, and even more unbelievable that the FAA, CAA, and EASA could even contemplate allowing these systems to be flown in Civil Applications.

Basically you are referring to 2 unrelated events...

1. The "Fly - By" anomaly: whilst evident (not just with Earth Fly - By) is an intriguing mystery that has yet to be resolved and certainly has no known effect on any terresetrial aeronautics

2. The Lithium Battery problems (with the 787) I have already stated (in my previous thread) as being unsatisfactorily concluded, and from my own perspective inside the Industry, is highly probelemmatic. It is beyond any measure of belief that a Root Cause has not been discovered, and even more unbelievable that the FAA, CAA, and EASA could even contemplate allowing these systems to be flown in Civil Applications.

What? Are you syaing that the Professor on tv is wrong when he says that the Li battery problem root cause has not been discovered? They have put the battery in a box starved of oxygen so that any runaway event can't burn. That's all.

You're also wrong on the geological anomalies of the Earth affecting satellites. The Southern Atlantic Anomaly is well known to affect the elctronics of satellites which is why they avoid the region or are switched off as they pass over. Even the NASA experiment to confirm Einstein's relativity theory had satellites which would give anomalous data which is why the experiment was stopped and restarted seven times!! [P.S. The Chinese have also doubted the authenticity of their experiment]

Bad News for Boeing: The Dreamliner's Battery Is a Nightmare (8th June 2013)

In March, Japanese pilots raised 30 safety concerns about the Dreamliner. One of their major concerns was that they didn't think Boeing had provided enough proof that the 787 would be safe to fly if the batteries failed. They also expressed concern that the warning indicator for a battery malfunction didn't indicate the severity of the problem.

More recently, the pilots' group expressed concern that Boeing didn't figure out what caused the problems with the batteries in the first place and is now downplaying the battery's necessity for flight. Consequently, the group challenged Boeing to conduct flight tests without the lithium-ion battery to prove its safety.

You're also wrong on the geological anomalies of the Earth affecting satellites.

If you are going to argue with people at least read what they actually said first. keithisco didn't mention satellites, he said:

I am assuming you know what aeronautics means.

Whilst this subject has a tenuous link to space, it's main subject is the Boeing Dreamliner.

The Dreamliner, under any definition, can not be considered a spacecraft so I'm going to move this from the Space Exploration and Spaceflight forum to the Science & Technology forum as it seems better suited there.

If you are going to argue with people at least read what they actually said first. keithisco didn't mention satellites, he said:

I'm saying there's not much difference between low orbit satellites and super-high flying aircraft, as I said in the OP.

That's the kind of attitude Boeing has unfortunately. All possibilities should be addressed otherwise Boeing are going down the swanee.
Separately, these incidents are scary but manageable. But when you combine these accidents and factor in the pilots' concerns, you get the feeling that lithium-ion batteries are anything but safe. Underscoring this point is the decision by EADS' Airbus to pull the plug on putting lithium-ion batteries in its A350 plane, citing "immaturity of lithium-ion-battery technology." If the Dreamliner's battery really is fixed, this plane could prove to be quite profitable for Boeing. However, given all the issues it's had in the past, and the uncertainty of the battery, investors would do well to keep an eye on the Dreamliner -- especially considering Boeing's stock has risen and fallen right along with the Dreamliner.