Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US considering syrian 'no fly zone'

shrooma

Maybe just to get T.V coverage, if not why don't they protest at the Turkish embassy?

by protesting about the Turkish government there and then....it might have also been to show that they don't want Turkey being

involved in the Syria mess....and in effect were supporting Putin's stance.dunno. Even though they made him late... :)

But you could be right and it was to get TV coverage.....because they might not have got any otherwise.

What with Cameron and co being so closely allied with Turkey over the Syria war.

Putin bringing up the 'eating organs' thing has brought that to the main stream media...because I expect it has just been on the internet so far...

• Like 1

I don't know.....it was Turkish people protesting about the Turkish Govt....it's chaos in Istanbul and another major city...

water cannon, chucking that CS gas around.....riot squads chasing protesters around the streets.

It started about the park...but it's widened to protesting about the Islamification of Turkey. (from what I can gather)

Re the Cameron Putin news conference...lots of talk about common ground but no budging from either about Syria.

Putin even brought up the rebel eating the organs of one of the Syrian army....and posing the question about if it's

a good idea to support such people.

Cameron blaming everything on Assad....and making a point of saying...'genuine' Syrian rebels...

Though what he thinks the terrorist lot...the Al Qaeda lot are going to do....is any one's guess.

Just go home and say.....we'll leave it to you moderates now......those are lovely weapons you got there....good luck and goodbye... :no:

So the Turks are protesting about the Islamification of Turkey, and mr. C is keeping quiet about them, to avoid embarassing a valued Ally, while next door, the Rebel Alliance wants to make Syria a hardline Islamic state, and Mr. C is supporting them. There's food for thought, isn't it. :blush:

• Like 4

So the Turks are protesting about the Islamification of Turkey, and mr. C is keeping quiet about them, to avoid embarassing a valued Ally, while next door, the Rebel Alliance wants to make Syria a hardline Islamic state, and Mr. C is supporting them. There's food for thought, isn't it. :blush:

:yes:

and while Turkish protesters in London are also demonstrating against the Turkish government chucking CS gas around on the streets of Istanbul...

and Ankara (think it's Ankara)......in essence, gassing their own people....Cameron is going on about Assad gassing his own people.

:wacko:

meanwhile in Birmingham.... policemen have been attacked and one stabbed .....after a 'local man' a Somalian attacked another worshipper

in a mosque......and the police went in to break it all up.

• Like 1

So why are they protesting in Whitehall? Are they all Turkish? Why are they inconveniencing everyone with their protests here?

If you can't get attention, your protest fails.

Bee, there is a huge differnce between tear gas and sarin gas. One makes your eyes sting the other kills. Everyone who joins the us army and maybe the other services, get gased once in basic training and the unit I was in once a year.

meanwhile in Birmingham.... policemen have been attacked and one stabbed .....after a 'local man' a Somalian attacked another worshipper

in a mosque......and the police went in to break it all up.

a local birmingham somalian??

didn't realise the two were the same place!

small world ain't it.....

*disappears into the internet to find out more about the birmingham incident*

• Like 3

a local birmingham somalian??

didn't realise the two were the same place!

small world ain't it.....

*disappears into the internet to find out more about the birmingham incident*

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-22924456

• Like 2

Yes, the rebels hid behind trees and bushes. While the british tried to fight old world style. The only difference between the two time periods, is the americans did not attack civilians, the british did, accordihng to thhe movie, the patriot.

The US did in fact attack Civilians. They attacked Loyalists and forced many of them to leave the US and migrate to British North America (What is now Canada).

~Thanato

• Like 2

:o

looks like it was a mental health problem.....but the taser didn't stop him.... :unsure2:

thats the thing when cops get over anxious, they forget to set the phazers tasers to stun

• Like 1

The US did in fact attack Civilians. They attacked Loyalists and forced many of them to leave the US and migrate to British North America (What is now Canada).

~Thanato

Tory b*******!! :w00t:
  • Like 1

Yes, the rebels hid behind trees and bushes. While the british tried to fight old world style. The only difference between the two time periods, is the americans did not attack civilians, the british did, accordihng to thhe movie, the patriot.

Contrary to what many of us were taught in school the colonials did field "regular" armies as well. The majority of the battle fought in the American Revolution were fought old world style. Consequently the colonies lost most of them. Washington only won 3 of the 9 battles he fought.

Contrary to what many of us were taught in school the colonials did field "regular" armies as well. The majority of the battle fought in the American Revolution were fought old world style. Consequently the colonies lost most of them. Washington only won 3 of the 9 battles he fought.

One battle was against a sleeping garison. Another, he had the french fleet backing him. That was the most important one.

But, that doesn't really change the fact, that all rebels are terriosts.

Edited by danielost

But, that doesn't really change the fact, that all rebels are terriosts.

I disagree. As long as the "rebels" focus their acts of violence on military targets, I would call them rebels. Once they start attacking civilian targets(buses, libraries, cafes), they cross the line into terrorist.

• Like 1

Papa that was also a perfect description of what we did to Germany and Japan in WWII. They even referred to it as terror bombing, I think. We justified it as "breaking the enemy's will" but it amounts to the same thing. I think we are basically screwed unless we are willing to be as animalistic as our adversaries. Pyrrhic victory is a phrase that comes to mind. The saddest thing is that if we DON'T meet them on their field then they will dominate us and the world will slip into a darkness unknown since the middle ages.

• Like 1

If the no-fly zone option is returned to the table it will have to be done unilaterally or coalitional without the backing of the UN.

Russia, a veto-wielding member of the U.N. Security Council, will not permit no-fly zones to be imposed over Syria, Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said on Monday.

"I think we fundamentally will not allow this scenario," Lukashevich told a news briefing, adding that calls for a no-fly zone showed disrespect for international law.

*snip*

Russia "nyet" to Syria no-fly zones

• Like 1

http://www.guardian....ia-breakthrough

Hopes that the G8 summit would set out a clear route map to end the bloody civil war in Syria have been dashed after Vladimir Putin, insisted he could not back a peace conference convened on the assumption that the Syrian president, Bashar al-Assad, would step down.
The Russian foreign minister, Sergei Lavrov, speaking in Kuwait, said holding the planned peace conference should not imply any capitulation on the part of the Syrian regime.

"We are categorically against … assertions that the conference should be some kind of public act of capitulation by the government delegation followed by a handing over of power to the opposition."

He said it was essential that the result of the conference should be a transitional government containing members of opposition groups and representatives of the current regime. Britain, the US and France have always said members of the Assad regime had to attend the talks, alongside the divided Syrian National Council.

Lavrov hit out at the west for undermining the realisation of the conference by giving material support to the rebels and beginning to call for a no-fly zone over Syria.

the Russians aren't backing down.....

there's a video on the link above...with the G8 leaders (minus ties) trying unsuccessfully to wave in unison... :)

• Like 1

The Russians and the Chinese are adamant about non interference because they know that this strategy could well be used against them in future. In THAT much I actually agree with them. A sovereign nation should not be pressured into going against it's own precepts EXCEPT where their actions are infringing on the safety or freedoms of other nations. I believe that the support for Syrian pres Assad is about one thing primarily...Tartus. Putin is flexing his muscles and if the west decides to try him there is no telling where this ends. If he wins here though, I wonder where he will press next? And is he deluded enough to think he can over reach and a weak US pres will be easy pickings? All sorts of dangers in this situation. I see real potential for a nuclear confrontation through misadventure. Scary times....

http://www.guardian....ia-breakthrough

the Russians aren't backing down.....

there's a video on the link above...with the G8 leaders (minus ties) trying unsuccessfully to wave in unison... :)

Good for Putin!!

• Like 2

I see real potential for a nuclear confrontation through misadventure. Scary times....

Not going to happen. Didn't happen in even worse parts of cold war. Anyway, if this is the fear that Putin is held in, then good, as the battle is half won.

The Russians and the Chinese are adamant about non interference because they know that this strategy could well be used against them in future

By who, and do they have their graves dug and coffins ready, as they will need many. You suggest American adventurism to control Russia and or China. You do that and you will start a war. That is the only qualification to my words in the preceding post, "Not going to happen". When America realises it does not rule the world, and never will, then we may have some peace. Neither Russia or China have threatened America, though from America's words and actions you would think they had. Too many Americans still live in cold war, wake up.......

By who, and do they have their graves dug and coffins ready, as they will need many. You suggest American adventurism to control Russia and or China. You do that and you will start a war. That is the only qualification to my words in the preceding post, "Not going to happen". When America realises it does not rule the world, and never will, then we may have some peace. Neither Russia or China have threatened America, though from America's words and actions you would think they had. Too many Americans still live in cold war, wake up.......

no doubt.... lol

The Russians and the Chinese are adamant about non interference because they know that this strategy could well be used against them in future. In THAT much I actually agree with them. A sovereign nation should not be pressured into going against it's own precepts EXCEPT where their actions are infringing on the safety or freedoms of other nations. I believe that the support for Syrian pres Assad is about one thing primarily...Tartus. Putin is flexing his muscles and if the west decides to try him there is no telling where this ends. If he wins here though, I wonder where he will press next? And is he deluded enough to think he can over reach and a weak US pres will be easy pickings? All sorts of dangers in this situation. I see real potential for a nuclear confrontation through misadventure. Scary times....

i hardly think a former KGB officer who's managed to remain in power, under various titles, since 2000 is deluded enough to try anything daft. In fact, he's perhaps the most experienced leader of a country of any significance in the world. I suspect that also means that he wouldn't be likely to over-react if a "democratic" leader with no previous significant experience of any kind was to try anything over-amibtious/daft.

• Like 2

i hardly think a former KGB officer who's managed to remain in power, under various titles, since 2000 is deluded enough to try anything daft. In fact, he's perhaps the most experienced leader of a country of any significance in the world. I suspect that also means that he wouldn't be likely to over-react if a "democratic" leader with no previous significant experience of any kind was to try anything over-amibtious/daft.

Have you actually paid attention to the man lately? Even when Oby tried making a small joke to lighten the mood a bit yesterday he rebuffed him in a way that was quite rude and uncalled for in that setting. I'm not saying rooty Poot is all that - I'm saying I'm beginning to think that he BELIEVES he IS all that. And that could cause a miscalculation. Whatever the USSR once was - Russia is NOT. I am no Russo phobe - whatever Tut boy thinks... but the only reason Russia has international standing these days is their nuclear weapons arsenal. They create nothing of value in the world...help in no consequential ways I'm aware of though I'd gladly listen if any can be tabled. The KGB man is a thug in a suit and he's punching way above his weight because America has a useless waste of carbon sitting in the Oval office these days. The one thing Oby DOES have though, is an ego and if Pootin pushes him publicly too far it just might cause a mess.