Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Family discovers fallout shelter full of food

Still Waters

When Ken Zwick and Carol Hollar-Zwick bought their Neenah home in 1999, they knew the backyard contained an underground fallout shelter built during the height of the Cold War.

What they didn’t know — and wouldn’t discover until they ventured into the shelter more than a decade later — was the bunker was fully stocked with food and survival supplies from 1960 by the previous homeowner.

“We assumed it was just this empty space,” Hollar-Zwick said.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2318059/Wisconsin-family-discovers-fully-stocked-fallout-shelter-yard-50-years-installed-height-Cold-War.html#ixzz2WMFRhFJf

Edited by Still Waters
New source link added as previous one expired

If that were me I would NOT wait a decade or so to see what was in it, I would of taken a look as soon as possible

• Like 6

If that were me I would NOT wait a decade or so to see what was in it, I would of taken a look as soon as possible

I would have made it about an hour... :)

• Like 5

Why would you buy a house knowing it had a fallout shelter and wait a decade before investigating it?????

• Like 7

My curiosity would of got the best of me I would of had to of went in immediately hoping for a long lost treasure. Wouldn't eat the food if I were them.

• Like 5

Like everyone has said, would have been in there as soon as possible. lol

• Like 4

Every time we do something in or around our house I'm practically sifting through the soil and debris. :P

• Like 3

Why would you buy a house knowing it had a fallout shelter and wait a decade before investigating it?????

Because you did not want to move the skeletons of those who wanted in 40 years ago?

Maybe they were worried they would find people in it ala blast from the past.

• Like 1

Maybe they thought it was haunted and just finally got up the nerve to go and take a looksie inside.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've got a tiny door in my basement, and it is recorded in library records that my house house, and the one next door were part of the underground railroad. Been here 13 years and have yet to open it. So, these things do happen.

I've got a tiny door in my basement, and it is recorded in library records that my house house, and the one next door were part of the underground railroad. Been here 13 years and have yet to open it. So, these things do happen.

Seriously??!! I so would have been opening that door as soon as I got the keys to the house.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I'll open it this weekend and take pictures.

did you open it and take pictures?

There's something kind of sad about it because even little kids and babies from that time would now be in their 50's and 60's and most of the adults would be dead.