Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Whitehouse Defending Obama's $100m Trip.

Dredimus

The POTUS is a public servant - not a monarch of the nation served. A 100 million trip to Europe and Africa sends the wrong message to americans back home. It's also terribly irresponsible given the fact that all the talk a few short months ago was the debt ceiling when Odrama was talking about 'hard choices'. How's that bus your driving Obama? The guy is a con man.... a shill for big GOV and a slave to huge corporate interest. It's too obvious.

......but I digress

I remember Ron Paul pledging during the R's primaries that he, as POTUS, would have waved the $400K per year salary and worked for the national median. I've never ever heard a politician say that. In fact its the number question I ask supporters of any politician face to face.

Edited by acidhead
  • Like 2

The POTUS is a public servant - not a monarch of the nation served. A 100 million trip to Europe and Africa sends the wrong message to americans back home. It's also terribly irresponsible given the fact that all the talk a few short months ago was the debt ceiling when Odrama was talking about 'hard choices'. How's that bus your driving Obama? The guy is a con man.... a shill for big GOV and a slave to huge corporate interest. It's too obvious.

I have no problem at all with criticism of his politicking, which is what that was.

However:

Among the highlights for the president will be bilateral meetings with the leaders of Senegal, South Africa and Tanzania, visits to Senegal’s supreme court and a power plant in Tanzania, tours of a slave museum in Gorree Island and the site of the prison where Nelson Mandela was held for two decades on Robben Island. Obama also will tour a community center with Archbishop Desmond Tutu in Cape Town.

These meetings are important to any world power. Why?

The trip marks Obama’s first extended visit to the sub-Saharan region since he took office in 2009. His only other visit was a one-day stop in Ghana that year. White House aides emphasized that the administration sees the continent as a fast-emerging region where other nations — such as including China, Brazil and Turkey — have vastly expanded their investments. Six of the world’s 10 fastest-growing economies are in sub-Saharan Africa.

I wouldn't say that the trip is a game-changer, but it is one of those things that you do when you're the leader of the free world, like it or not.

Harte

• Like 1

I have no problem at all with criticism of his politicking, which is what that was.

However:

These meetings are important to any world power. Why?

I wouldn't say that the trip is a game-changer, but it is one of those things that you do when you're the leader of the free world, like it or not.

Harte

Forget politicking, that's what Republicans void of real criticism have to criticize him about.

Want to expand your investment in Africa? This is America, you're free to go! What does Obama have to do with it? Why can't America keep up with the Joneses without Obama? "Leader of the free world"? Nothing like trudging out with media rhetoric to destroy a conservative principle. Somehow once you cross the magic line known as the border, all principle ceases to exist and we need big government to make the world turn.

......but I digress

I remember Ron Paul pledging during the R's primaries that he, as POTUS, would have waved the $400K per year salary and worked for the national median. I've never ever heard a politician say that. In fact its the number question I ask supporters of any politician face to face.

you talk like someone from china ! A communist ! :Di dont care how much he spends.. he need rest to make hard choices ! not everybody can be a president :D

I think a lot of you missed this:

One estimate of the cost has pegged the bill to U.S. taxpayers at somewhere between $60 million and $100 million.

One estimate, that’s just one. The document says the estimate of 60 million to $100 million is based on the costs of similar African trips in recent years. Obama’s only trip to Africa was a 22 hour stopover in Ghana in 2009, so the Secret Service is most likely basing their cost estimate on the cost of the Bush trips.( which have mysteriously disappeared)

So the cost isn’t even set and all of you are all already freaking out about it.

The President has all the facilities of the White House, of Camp David, and of whatever home he comes from (although I'm not aware that Obama has made use of this last item). The costs here are in the billions.

He also has no end of planes and boats and whatever, bands, historians, poets, florists, gardeners, medical facilities, the list is endless.

In short the States does not govern itself on the cheap -- have you ever been in a Federal courthouse, talk about lavish architecture?

I dunno if all this is good or bad; it does seem excessive.

I remember when the media was lambasting GWB when he was taking time off at his ranch in Texas.

Now they got an imperial president who wastes hundreds of millions of taxpayers money on regular pompous vacations, and the media dutifully reports how wonderful that is. Go figure.

• Like 2

The President has all the facilities of the White House, of Camp David, and of whatever home he comes from (although I'm not aware that Obama has made use of this last item). The costs here are in the billions.

He also has no end of planes and boats and whatever, bands, historians, poets, florists, gardeners, medical facilities, the list is endless.

In short the States does not govern itself on the cheap -- have you ever been in a Federal courthouse, talk about lavish architecture?

I dunno if all this is good or bad; it does seem excessive.

I don't have a problem with our federal and state facilities like that having lavish architecture. It represents a nation that is grand and wealthy plus architecture is awesome, especially wood and stone work. Steel is great and all but buildings today might have their own flair but I consider the computer aided designs and assembly line work very boring compared to the buildings of only a hundred years ago and before.

• Like 1

Its off topic but I have to agree. I prefer marble and granite to steel and glass.

• Like 1

Forget politicking, that's what Republicans void of real criticism have to criticize him about.

Want to expand your investment in Africa? This is America, you're free to go! What does Obama have to do with it? Why can't America keep up with the Joneses without Obama? "Leader of the free world"? Nothing like trudging out with media rhetoric to destroy a conservative principle. Somehow once you cross the magic line known as the border, all principle ceases to exist and we need big government to make the world turn.

I think you and others overreact here to one of the duties of the President of the United States.

Why do we need government to intervene on behalf of private industry in Africa? Do you believe that African nations are all just waiting for the best deal for their individual countries, or the best deal for their individual leaders?

The Russians and Chinese wouldn't scruple to play by whatever rules you believe to be in existence in the world marketplace. Are we to sit on our hands and watch these economies benefit our competition, or should we do something about it ourselves?

You people have this weird view that the Prez should just be Joe Sixpack or something.

We cannot exist in isolation, and trade, strategic partnerships, etc. with foreign countries is absolutely one of the responsibilities of the government.

I don't care for Obama at all. The last straw was what he did to GM, so I'm not exactly a new convert. I voted for Gingrich, for God's sake.

I campaigned for Barry Goldwater when I was in elementary school. I don't need some novice calling my conservative credentials into question. The very idea is preposterous.

Harte

• Like 1

I believe that not many know what a presidents job entails...If a person has hate for a president, to heck with what his job entails,and what it could be like if you were in office?... You don't even have to wonder how it all works behind closed doors and what really does go on?....People don't think much about it, just chant liar and post up many anti ___________ <-- insert whatever president name you wish, it won't matter, the US have never been satisfied with any president..!!

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

Well, I liked Reagan. I didn't really have a problem with Nixon either.

I would have liked Dole as well. Who wouldn't like Bob Dole? The man's a real hoot.

All of the above are head and shoulders above what we've had since 1990 - just no question about it.

Harte

• Like 1

Well, I liked Reagan. I didn't really have a problem with Nixon either.

I would have liked Dole as well. Who wouldn't like Bob Dole? The man's a real hoot.

All of the above are head and shoulders above what we've had since 1990 - just no question about it.

Harte

Aha yes, but see, you are speaking for yourself...Others may differ.. My point was - You can't make everyone happy..

Wait you liked Nixon?? Really? ........ Oh well, nobody's perfect lol :P

If you look dispassionately at exactly what Nixon did, it pales in comparison to what people get away with today.

A break-in by political operatives seeking political information to use in an election that Nixon already had landslide support in, and Nixon didn't even know about it until after the fact.

Things were different back then, though. Which is why there had to be a coverup, instead of just firing the people involved, which is what would happen today.

All that said, I've not experienced a president yet that I could stand to listen to. I guess I expect too much but I just can't take it - they've all seemed so shallow.

Probably an artifact of having "handlers," I suppose.

Harte

• Like 1

Nixon and Reagan could not have been more different and yet the same. Nixon was corrupt and kinda vile and without principle, but extremely intelligent and got things accomplished. Reagan was principled and perhaps not quite as intelligent and also got things accomplished.

I think you and others overreact here to one of the duties of the President of the United States.

Why do we need government to intervene on behalf of private industry in Africa? Do you believe that African nations are all just waiting for the best deal for their individual countries, or the best deal for their individual leaders?

The Russians and Chinese wouldn't scruple to play by whatever rules you believe to be in existence in the world marketplace. Are we to sit on our hands and watch these economies benefit our competition, or should we do something about it ourselves?

You people have this weird view that the Prez should just be Joe Sixpack or something.

We cannot exist in isolation, and trade, strategic partnerships, etc. with foreign countries is absolutely one of the responsibilities of the government.

I don't care for Obama at all. The last straw was what he did to GM, so I'm not exactly a new convert. I voted for Gingrich, for God's sake.

I campaigned for Barry Goldwater when I was in elementary school. I don't need some novice calling my conservative credentials into question. The very idea is preposterous.

Harte

OK... fair enough! I agree the POTUS should try to reach out to other nations, especially in Africa, to engage in friendly talks and hopefully a friendship. Friendships which can lead to friendships within the private sector. An environment created for trade by the GOV.....An american GOV that bombs indigenous nations into accepting the west's way of life.

Just curious... Why did you vote for Newt Gingrich?

Presidential foreign trips always seem to happen when a President's popularity is sagging.

I voted for Newt too. I felt that in the debates Newt would've crushed Obama. I loved how he punked John King from CNN in the primary debates over asking for the millionth time about an old affair and like Newt said, in short, that was the wrong forum and a terrible opening question. It wasn't the Jerry Springer show. Also Newt said during that time that if went face to face with Obama he wasn't oing to give him a bloody nose, he was going to knock him out. I think he could've. Basically, Newt just has a way about him and I think he is a great debater even though in the last of the primaries he pretty much was realistic and just gave up.

Don't worry, I like Ron Paul too.

Edited by F3SS

Just curious... Why did you vote for Newt Gingrich?

Prof. Gingrich was my rep for years when I lived in Georgia. Though emotionally retarded, he is brilliant and is bursting with big ideas. I've met him a couple of times, and I would have liked to have seen some of his suggestions taken up.

Too bad he has such a problem with schmoozing.

One thing about Gingrich - I never heard him say something just to get elected. When he went to the House, he did, or tried to do, exactly what he said he would, for the most part.

Have you heard him talk about today's Congress? Here's one small example.

More?

I'll just flat out tell you this. If I were a "1 percenter," would would have bought the election for Gingrich.

Harte

Prof. Gingrich was my rep for years when I lived in Georgia. Though emotionally retarded, he is brilliant and is bursting with big ideas. I've met him a couple of times, and I would have liked to have seen some of his suggestions taken up.

Too bad he has such a problem with schmoozing.

One thing about Gingrich - I never heard him say something just to get elected. When he went to the House, he did, or tried to do, exactly what he said he would, for the most part.

Have you heard him talk about today's Congress? Here's one small example.

More?

I'll just flat out tell you this. If I were a "1 percenter," would would have bought the election for Gingrich.

Harte

hmmm.... okay.... thanks

Newt Gingrich...so brilliant, he can't think of anything better than the Patriot Act to keep Americans safe.

Gingrich left office long before there was even any inkling of the Patriot Act.

He might agree with all of its provisions, though, as do I.

Harte