Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Buzz Aldrin calls for Mars base

Waspie_Dwarf

Buzz Aldrin calls for humans to colonise the Red Planet

On 21 July 1969, when Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin first set foot on the surface of the Moon, it appeared as though mankind was on the verge of a new age of space exploration. After all, if the moon could be conquered, what could prevent us travelling to other planets, even to other solar systems?

Nearly half a century later, the dreams that once seemed so tangible now look more remote than ever. The last man to walk on the Moon was Eugene Cernan, who made the long trip home in December 1972. Since then, humans have been content to orbit the earth, in the realms occupied by satellites and the International Space Station. But we have never again broken free.

Now, one of the original lunar pioneers believes the time has come to make another great leap for mankind. Buzz Aldrin thinks that manned missions to Mars should take place sooner rather than later - within the next quarter of a century. And we shouldn't stop there. He thinks we should begin planning a permanent colony on the Red Planet.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 3

The giant leap has already been made, time for little steps IMO, if a base on the moon doesn't carry as much risk, then probably that's the best option, at least until we have more faith in going all the way to Mars and bringing a crew back.

• Like 4

The giant leap has already been made, time for little steps IMO, if a base on the moon doesn't carry as much risk, then probably that's the best option, at least until we have more faith in going all the way to Mars and bringing a crew back.

I would agree. A base on Mars, though certainly in our future, should not be the "next step"

Why not fully put effort into colonizing our moon. Much closer and I'm sure we will learn a few things before attemptting a "suicide mission" to Mars. After all, getting to Mars is one thing. Getting back is a whole different situation of demanding logistics and support likey 1,000 times or much more than doing a base on our moon.

Mars has a substantial gravity, not as much as Earth, but very much there.

One can not lift-off Mars as was done on our moon(with our moon's much lower gravity)

A Mars "lift-off" to Mars orbit would require something similar to a ground NASA support complex on Earth.

We are talking major booster rockets there.

So, much needs to be considered here, unless it's just a 1-way trip. And even then, much needs to be considered.

• Like 1

Then Buzz Aldrin must be a strong supporter of the Mars One project.

I think such a project should not be done in haste. I am sure NASA is considering it but with a careful approach. A mission to Mars can become a tragedy if all the safety mesures and the techonlogies ensuring the sucess of such a Mission are not in place. I think the major space agencies such as NASA and ESA are not ready for a there and back mission to Mars.

Edited by sam_comm

Dam the last person to set foot on the moon was 1972. What the hell are we doing? We should've already had bases on the moon before i was born in 1992.

• Like 2

Then Buzz Aldrin must be a strong supporter of the Mars One project.

I think such a project should not be done in haste. I am sure NASA is considering it but with a careful approach. A mission to Mars can become a tragedy if all the safety mesures and the techonlogies ensuring the sucess of such a Mission are not in place. I think the major space agencies such as NASA and ESA are not ready for a there and back mission to Mars.

I'm a big supporter of any Mars Project,

Dr Zubrin of the Mars Society has a great proposal, the mission he has developed is ground breaking and simple, and apparently most of the main technology has been tested to see if it was viable, Ideally I would like to see some of the technology involved in his mission adapted for a moon mission, but yeah I agree to risky

It's probably much more inexpensive and closer for us to colonize the moon since we've already gone there. At least we know people have RETURNED from the moon and with Mars, it'll probably just be a one way trip only. With what's going on around the world economically, I think man needs to stay right at home here on Earth, with a start of getting everyone's financial house (govt.)

in order first--before spending billions on the unknown.

Problem is, instead of heading to Mars, we are heading to bankruptcy, we can't afford a Martian base: we are in debt up to our eyeballs.

Edited by Sundew

Buzz Aldrin comes from an era when dreams were deftly translated into reality. This is his legacy ... a call to action to those same individuals who are able dream of things things that never were, and ask, why not?

• Like 1

It would be easier to set up a base on Mars with its atmosphere than the Moon which doesn't have one. Just getting there is the hard part.

It doesn't appear that the States will do this, unless they get off their duff and smell the roses (mixed metaphor alert).

More likely China or maybe Brazil. A private company might even do it if some profit motive could be found.

Dam the last person to set foot on the moon was 1972. What the hell are we doing? We should've already had bases on the moon before i was born in 1992.

Maybe we already do......

They failed hopelessly with the Biosphere experiments. They need to do better here on earth first. A Mars base would have to be largely self sustaining unless they plan on replenishment missions.

Problem is, instead of heading to Mars, we are heading to bankruptcy, we can't afford a Martian base: we are in debt up to our eyeballs.

It could be possible in terms of funding the project of a Martian base if America, Canada, Russia, Europe and Japan comes together and share the costs just like the International Space Station.

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 2

It could be possible in terms of funding the project of a Martian base if America, Canada, Russia, Europe and Japan comes together and share the costs just like the International Space Station.

i don't see that happening anytime soon...

• Like 1

i don't see that happening anytime soon...

I agree

MarsOne project is planning on doing just that, Mr. Aldrin. Privately funded space programs will be the future.

I want to shop at the Moon Mall and spend vacations at the Moon Hotel

hurry up science

I am not opposed to the idea of private funding for space, even though I generally think profit motive leads to various forms of exploitation. At least private speculators would take the risks. The benefit would also be that sometimes government enterprises are too political and often wasteful, and this would almost certainly be the case if it were a consortium of different countries.

Edited by Frank Merton