Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Grand Canyon Crossed By Tightrope Walker

seeder

Daredevil Nik Wallenda has successfully completed a high-wire walk across the Grand Canyon without a safety harness.

The Florida aerialist performed the quarter-mile crossing on a two-inch thick steel cable, 1,500ft above the Little Colorado River Gorge in Arizona.

The 34-year-old took around 22 minutes to finish the feat, kneeling twice to "get the rhythm out of the rope" and murmuring prayers to Jesus almost constantly along the way.

He stepped slowly and steadily most of the way, but jogged and hopped the last few steps. The father-of-three wore a microphone and two cameras, one looking down and one facing straight ahead. His leather shoes, which had an elk-skin sole, helped him keep a grip on the cable as he moved across.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/us-man-completes-grand-canyon-tightrope-walk-021857890.html#sxM2QVv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eshzB8yED8

• Like 2

I told my wife it'd be boring if he just fell but awesome if he got fried to the cable by lightning.

You don't want to live in my head.

• Like 3

Oh God how dizzy I would be, then I would have to barf. About made me dizzy just looking off the side when I was there.

• Like 3

Holy crackers this guy is crazy.. That was brilliant,. but scary !! I fear heights so much that watching him gave me chills...I can't even lean over the stairs in the mall let alone do that..

He is going to walk between the Chrysler building and the Empire state building in NY...mad mad lol... Good luck to him..The mad git...lol

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 5

Quite frankly I think it is beyond moronic.

Risking his life and for what? Some stupid notoriety?

Not impressive in my book. Apparently he has a wife; what if he had fallen? What a horrendous thing to subject your family to.

One day he will not be successful but either badly maimed or dead. Then what?

• Like 2

This was amazing! And I am so glad they had the cameras so we could see what he was seeing. Even though I am afraid of heights this did not bother me for some reason. The fact that a human was tight rope walking with no safety gear 1500 ft above rocks...yes. But the views of the heights didn't bother me, beautiful place.

I hated the view from the helicopter as it spun around him though...that was dizzying.

Imo, doing it while your wife and kids watched or didn't watch as it looked like one boy (not sure if it was his son) didn't watch in a couple shots, was callous and insensitive. Actually, choosing to do this in the first place as a father and husband was a bit callous and insensitive for me.

But he did it and I'm glad I got to see it.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 2

They should put a rope bridge across that stretch and everybody will be able to pretend that they are tightrope walking it!

• Like 3

Nice to see some old school 'death defying' feats still going on. David Blaine should take note.

• Like 3

Nice to see some old school 'death defying' feats still going on. David Blaine should take note.

David Blaine should quit now we have Dynamo!!

Edited by seeder

Quite frankly I think it is beyond moronic.

Risking his life and for what? Some stupid notoriety?

Not impressive in my book. Apparently he has a wife; what if he had fallen? What a horrendous thing to subject your family to.

One day he will not be successful but either badly maimed or dead. Then what?

Its not as if its something new either walking across a tightrope (cable) at height somewhere,

David Blaine should quit now we have Dynamo!!

[media=]

[/media]

Great clip seeder. :)

At first I was surprised his sleeve was rolled up (exposing where the metal rod was supporting him) and I scratched my head a bit, then I realised his whole arm could be fake. ;)

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1

It is what the Wallendas have been doing for generations. As he said: For him it is another work day.

I found the video impressive, but had to turn off the sound. The constant Jesus babble got really annoying after a while.

• Like 1

Great clip seeder. :)

At first I was surprised his sleeve was rolled up (exposing where the metal rod was supporting him) and I scratched my head a bit, then I realised his whole arm could be fake. ;)

yeh has to be the fake arm trick doesn't it? Bet the girl toward the end of the next vid wasnt so comfy tho!!

[media=]

[/media]

article-2348106-1A7F5B1A000005DC-732_634x412.jpg

More

http://www.dailymail...-bus-trick.html

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

About the London bus levitation, I don´t see why the religionists on this board should have a problem with that. Why, Jesus/Allah/Zeus helped him. That works just fine for you guys otherwise, wny not here.

Myself, I put my faith in a cleverly placed steel girder and a good cameraman.

• Like 1

About the London bus levitation, I don´t see why the religionists on this board should have a problem with that. Why, Jesus/Allah/Zeus helped him. That works just fine for you guys otherwise, wny not here.

Myself, I put my faith in a cleverly placed steel girder and a good cameraman.

Pretty impressive what some steel hidden away can do isnt it?

4295af1c2f6ec4f21e9f7af7632058aa.jpg

levitation.jpg

Heres the reveal for those who cant get it!!

Heres the reveal for those who cant get it!!

You mean the low-information commentators?

Edited by Zaphod222

this guys family jewels must be made of titanium!

• Like 1

Here is the vid of the elder Walenda...falling to his death, (NOT graphic) - now if I had a parent/uncle who died on the tightrope, I think Id take up juggling instead

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG_a2LxIKIw[/media]

then this Chinese guy, blindfolded and walking backwards... fell, and got up and walked away!! 700 foot fall apparently

So yeh one helluva dangerous stunt

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

But that's what daredevils do! Remember Evel Knievel? The Wallendas have been at this for a very long time.

I think he was magnificent and extremely brave.

Good on him.

• Like 1

Dang. I guess I'm a mental weakling. I couldn't even stand that close to the edge(as he surveys the situation) much less do the walk.

• Like 1

And for a minor musical interlude(actually related to the subject)...