Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

At what point does someone become a troll

Cynical Sounds

Hey, this is a question to the admin/mod community of this website

I'm wondering if I could get some clarity on the following rules and what is/is there a "red line" at which the following rules are broken

• 2d. Accuracy: Do not post material that is knowingly or intentionally false, inaccurate or misleading.
  • 2e. Garbage posting: Do not deliberately post nonsense either for personal amusement or to wind up other members, keep your posts sensible.

and

• 3d. Trolling: We have zero tolerance for trolling on the forums. We define 'trolling' as the act of posting intentionally false, controversial or offensive comments designed to start arguments or to provoke, bait or annoy other members.

I know this forum discusses things that are a lot about belief and experience which can lead to fairly heated discussions but when would something be considered trolling. For example if a member post repeated discussions about something they have clearly made up would this be breaking the rules, or posting a thread with an obvious non paranormal/unexplained answer then refuting it would this be trolling?

I just want some clarity before making a complaint.

Thanks

What you describe sounds like it would cross the line however if you believe someone is trolling the forums it's best to let us know either via a report or by sending a PM so that the moderators can take a look at the situation you are referring to and address it directly.

• Like 4

Next question:

1. I wonder how the Mods would handle a complaint about Saru? :w00t:

Who dare draw their sword against the big guy?

• Like 4

Trolls are such interesting creatures: they hide under bridges and eat Volkswagons.

I don't think real trolling exists as much as people think. To me this is someone who posts things just to get others' goat.

• Like 2

Next question:

1. I wonder how the Mods would handle a complaint about Saru? :w00t:

Who dare draw their sword against the big guy?

That's simple. the rules state:

in any situation the decision of an Administrator is final

Therefore all complaints against Saru would be referred to Saru.

• Like 5

I don't think real trolling exists as much as people think. To me this is someone who posts things just to get others' goat.

The accusation of trolling is banded about, incorrectly, rather a lot. However the real trolls do exist. They tend to be rather obvious by their first handful of posts and so don't last very long.

• Like 4

Cheers Saru

make sure to not have any christian blood on the forum!

what i just would that be classed as trolling?

i am curious i dont mean to but i post puns in peoples posts some times and i love this site now that ive registered and dont want to get banned

No, you would also need to live under a bridge...

i am curious i dont mean to but i post puns in peoples posts some times and i love this site now that ive registered and dont want to get banned

Puns etc. are part of the culture of the forum, fun an lighthearted. More seriously: Heated discussions can result in directed attacks on people. This is not trolling. Trolling is much more severe. For example: Posting hateful messages on a Facebook tribute page to someone who has passed away. Or deliberately bullying or harassing someone.

Edited by Timonthy
  • Like 3

Context is important, however we define 'trolling' as the act of posting intentionally false, controversial or offensive comments designed to start arguments or to provoke, bait or annoy other members.

If you are doing it on purpose and continue to do it after a moderator has asked you to stop then I would say yes, that's trolling

• Like 3

I found out that when you hug a troll, they explode! But the mess is just horrid to clean up :rofl::(:ph34r:

Trolling people like to heat things up, but like they stated above, just report anyone who you belive to be one. The mod's here are good at investigation. Plus everything posted stays there unless you ask a mod to remove it. So the control UM has is very precise and attentive from most boards that I have experienced. Killing em with kindess works too ;)

Edited by Jessem
  • Like 1

I found out that when you hug a troll, they explode! But the mess is just horrid to clean up :rofl::(:ph34r:

How are you able to get close enough?
  • Like 1

jessems a huge troll! nawww jokes jessem rocks!

• Like 1

995674_604366256254192_1257737297_n.jpg

hmmm ... I think i hear them trolls again ....

`

How are you able to get close enough?

Simple... or there could be a bit of oceans eleven needed also? :o

jessems a huge troll! nawww jokes jessem rocks!

:sk I just talk alot! XD, it's my Italian blood :ph34r:

Sorry for off topic guys!

Easy way to recognize a troll is if he lives under a bridge. :D

Easy way to recognize a troll is if he lives under a bridge. :D

what if this troll is tricky and lives under a rock?

Then the rock will be under a bridge.... Do I have to think of everything? :P

Then the rock will be under a bridge.... Do I have to think of everything? :P

lmao what if the rock was in a cow paster? or better yet in hugh hefners lawn?

I think you are thinking of Moles. We've all made that mistake.

I think you are thinking of Moles. We've all made that mistake.

ragardless im good i have some "troll be gone" earnest hooked me up