Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Student’s “Psychic Attack” at Japanese School

Still Waters

This type of incident surfaces now and again. For instance,

In the town of Derby, England -- accroding to the Derby Mercury, May 15, 1905 -- there were occurrences in a girls' school; girls screamed and dropped to the floor, unconscious. In five days, there were forty-five instances of girls, who screamed and dropped unconscious. "The girls were exceedingly weak, and had to be carried home. One child had lost strength so that she could not even sit up." It was thought that some unknown, noxious gas, or vapor, was present: but mice were placed in the schoolrooms, and they were unaffected. Then the scientific explanation was "mass psychology."

The explanation of 'mass hysteria' or 'mass psychology' seems a coward's way out to me though.

Yes, I agree. It's the easiest way too..Just like it's easy for the habitual naysayers to never consider all the circumstantial evidence with a clear and open mind.

One girl saw a huge Spider, screamed and ran,the rest saw her running and screaming but they didn't know why only that they had to go quickly,so they all took off screaming.....fear is infectious

Edited by spud the mackem
  • Like 1

Hmmmmmm, lot's of food for thought here..

Mass Histeria is one surface explaination, but there's others that could equally be the cause..

One that doesn't seem to be well explored, except for Seeker's post, is the fact that an idea, once it has taken root in one dominant person can spread and litterally infect others like a parisite. unless the others know how to defend their own psyche against it. At a social/physical level it could be seen as mass histeria, and it can even manefest physical symptoms, smells or other oddities that can only be explained as paranormal.. At a deeper level though I think it really is an entity that preserves it's self the only way it knows how, by infecting others and creating hysteria that it absorbes............. yummy yummy..

is just a working theory... I'm of the camp that believes that thoughts are things... I'd percieve this particular entity as an octopus, latching onto it's victims.. it's neither evil nor agressive, it's just an idea that's surviving the only way it knows how.

• Like 1

Teenagers are very reactive and easily led by peer pressure or "group think" as they are looking for leads on how to find their way through life. In other words highly open to suggestion. I think this may be a sheeple type event.

Having said that I think Professor T may be onto something as well, I know I have walked into rooms where you could cut the air with a knife and other times felt a room warm and welcoming.

The 62 kids and the ufo however, the level of detail in their accounts and their similarity across the board suggests something else entirely, that one is really odd.

• Like 2

A living idea. That is very interesting. I can see it in my mind. it makes perfect sense. I wonder if anyone has ever considered things like religions or other sorts of memes as living entitys. I is true. Humans cause natural selection to happen with their ideas. At what point does a thought become conscious?

Religions, yes.. Politics, yes.. Phylosophy, yes.. Even corporations, organisations and our local socal clubs are rife with them as far as I can tell, and their purpose like any basic life form seldom goes beyond self preservation at their lowest short lived levels. The stonger ones at higher levels are all vying for control over us and each other. As for being conscious, i really don't know, I tend to think of them more like ideas who experience consciousness though people, but never of themselves.. I guess experiencing any form of consciousness is their drug..

I don't know it it's a case of humans causing natural selection with ideas.. That's an interesting proposition though.. I tend to this that in the case of larger entities like certain religions and political ideas that they use their sheer multitude of connections to people to morphs & spawn more and more of these entities and other ideas which help feed and serve it's self. That in a way is breeding more ideas that can potentially grow pretty large, or in the case of these japaneese school girls, be short lived but still drop a seed for more ideas to grow. I guess that might be interpreted as natural selection at their level.

Edited by Professor T

Religions, yes.. Politics, yes.. Phylosophy, yes.. Even corporations, organisations and our local socal clubs are rife with them as far as I can tell, and their purpose like any basic life form seldom goes beyond self preservation at their lowest short lived levels. The stonger ones at higher levels are all vying for control over us and each other. As for being conscious, i really don't know, I tend to think of them more like ideas who experience consciousness though people, but never of themselves.. I guess experiencing any form of consciousness is their drug..

I don't know it it's a case of humans causing natural selection with ideas.. That's an interesting proposition though.. I tend to this that in the case of larger entities like certain religions and political ideas that they use their sheer multitude of connections to people to morphs & spawn more and more of these entities and other ideas which help feed and serve it's self. That in a way is breeding more ideas that can potentially grow pretty large, or in the case of these japaneese school girls, be short lived but still drop a seed for more ideas to grow. I guess that might be interpreted as natural selection at their level.

There must be a selection process for something to evolve. If the meme is to live inside the minds of people people will select those traits that allow it to continue and reproduce. Though on its natural level those selected traits are unconscious. Although a case could be made as in certain kinds of memes that are consciously selected. Advertising programs, slogans, jingles are consciously designed to reproduce themselves. The other day I heard my boys singing the theme song for bonanza. They have never seen an episode in their lives. I racked my brain to figure out where they heard it from. It was me. I used to bounce them on my knee and humm the song. A other one I hear is "homie don't play that!" The kids these days barely know who Damon Wayne's is much less the character of homie the clown on the variety show "in living color". Yet here it still is 20 years latter. I think the largest of these memes might indeed be conscious but on a level that we cannot be aware of because we are nodes of its central nervous system. We are apart of its consciousness both a host and an actor. In some respects I think a thing like a religion can truly be alive and conscious but it views people about how we view a brain cell.

• Like 1

Can you explain what the Trupila effect is exactly?

The trupila effect is when multiple people believe in something- it becomes reality

Sheldrake has coined this as morphic resonance. There is some data suggesting that once something is known it becomes easier to know it world wide.

There must be a selection process for something to evolve. *shortened* We are apart of its consciousness both a host and an actor. In some respects I think a thing like a religion can truly be alive and conscious but it views people about how we view a brain cell.

The delivery and I suppose the receptiveness of individuals plays a part in the selection process. Delivery as in Quality, false Authority, Energy.. (Am sure there's more). Receptiveness as in Openness, Conditioning, Belief & Cultural context.. (actually I think that Social and Cultural context plays a really big part) They operate at various levels, Infecting the mind, and using the individual to broadcast it's purpose, overriding the individuals own purpose. On or at it's own level it I think it has purpose and agenda, but no real consciousness, that it gains from us, I think... IMO advertisers know or are starting to learn about this.. Jingles, slogans.. But these things go far back into history, One might argue that these are born from an origional paradime, but I can't see it..

At one level they are "Overtangles" (google for more info, it's facinating stuff.)

I think you are dead right in that religion can be truely alive, but see's us with the same aspect that we view a single brain cell, but as for being conscious, that I think is highly debatable because an Idea like any religion is nothing without people who consciously give it their energy. When people detach themselves from these enitites they loose their power & hold over us.. The illusion is shown from what it was, and our consciousness breaks free. Religion entities may act and re-act as though they're conscious. But in on it's self, it's just a purpose & agenda.. an Idea..

Even now, many of us are under the control of some of these entities, and some imo are hundreds if not thousands of years old & very powerful thanks only to the qty of people they hold.

• Like 2

The delivery and I suppose the receptiveness of individuals plays a part in the selection process. Delivery as in Quality, false Authority, Energy.. (Am sure there's more). Receptiveness as in Openness, Conditioning, Belief & Cultural context.. (actually I think that Social and Cultural context plays a really big part) They operate at various levels, Infecting the mind, and using the individual to broadcast it's purpose, overriding the individuals own purpose. On or at it's own level it I think it has purpose and agenda, but no real consciousness, that it gains from us, I think... IMO advertisers know or are starting to learn about this.. Jingles, slogans.. But these things go far back into history, One might argue that these are born from an origional paradime, but I can't see it..

At one level they are "Overtangles" (google for more info, it's facinating stuff.)

I think you are dead right in that religion can be truely alive, but see's us with the same aspect that we view a single brain cell, but as for being conscious, that I think is highly debatable because an Idea like any religion is nothing without people who consciously give it their energy. When people detach themselves from these enitites they loose their power & hold over us.. The illusion is shown from what it was, and our consciousness breaks free. Religion entities may act and re-act as though they're conscious. But in on it's self, it's just a purpose & agenda.. an Idea..

Even now, many of us are under the control of some of these entities, and some imo are hundreds if not thousands of years old & very powerful thanks only to the qty of people they hold.

I like these ideas. I have longed viewed business and relationships as an ecology of sorts. Parasites, preditors, and all. When I look at a businesses or relationships I start to relate it to what I know about nature. It's very effective because its easier to identify something's mode of operations and how to deal with it. Indeed I view banks and certain professions like creatures, religions as well. I try to see where I fit in. This was very helpful for me when I had a drinking problem. I view alcohol as an old parasite. The bacteria that make it have discovered a niche in human biology that allows it to grow and thrive. It's woven it's way into society and indeed has protective mechanism and regulatory systems. I do not view the human component as separate but a part of its systems. I don't hate the entity, but we now have a healthy understanding.

Edited by Seeker79

A living idea rubbish, joking of course :), considering teenagers have been known to cause poltergeist activity it's plausible. The placebo effect can also be considered in this instance too, the human mind is a powerful thing. Thirdly I would be interested if there was any connection to Ouija boards before these things happened. And as stated above construction work could also be to blame, it could be any of these things or a mixture of them.

• 4 weeks later...

it happens, if im in a highly populated public place and randomly yell oh my god! and start running away people will do the same

or if you scream and suddenly duck undersomething for cover people will react around you

fear spreads like wild fire

or stare at you like your mental

I would say no one here knows many young Japanese girls ....

They're the most hysterical bunch you've ever,and I do mean ever ,seen .

Go to a concert for a male idol there.

Dozens of them faint and have to be Brown bagged from hyperventilating .

They carry them out and lie them in the hallways with people trying to revive them .

A guy breaks up with them ,they hyperventilate into unconsciousness ,and declare they will now commit suicide when they wake up ,and then faint again .

They are absolute masses of hysteria way into their twenties .

Women with half a brain,cannot stand it .

They use this crap to get attention from men etc .

The entire mentality is annoying .

My japanese friends are nothing like this ,and feel its a lame way to act,but lots of guys find it "cute".

I would say one girl set it off ,and rumors fueled it ,and they all got to get out of school for the day because of it.