Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Putin signs anti-gay measures into law

Big Bad Voodoo

http://news.yahoo.com/russias-putin-signs-anti-gay-measures-law-143134967.html

The ban on "propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations" is part of an effort to promote traditional Russian values over Western liberalism, which the Kremlin and the Russian Orthodox Church see as corrupting Russian youth and contributing to the protests against Putin's rule.

The anti-propaganda law introduces fines of up to 5,000 rubles ($156) for citizens who disseminate information aimed at minors "directed at forming nontraditional sexual setup" or which may cause a "distorted understanding" that gay and heterosexual relations are "socially equivalent", the official publication of the bill showed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/10151790/Vladimir-Putin-signs-anti-gay-propaganda-bill.html

This law is just... what. The problem is it claims to be 'thinking of the children' but like always with laws like this it does three things. First, no it doesn't think of children. It only thinks of hetrosexual children.Second, it's used to prosecute any gay person or organisation that raises any form of awareness (regardless if children would see it or not). Third it creates a negative climate for gay people in the country. I pity any gay people in Russia right now. Their lives have just become a hell of a lot harder.

• Like 1

The most disturbing aspect of this bill is the part about making it crime to insult religious feelings. This cuts both ways of course, but what about posting pictures like this? what happens to the Russian based servers for carrying them? what happens to the VK servers in Peterburg on which a vast amount of now potentialy illegal material is held? what happens to those who create and upload such pictures? what happens to the countless millions who view and download? (apparently now the same in law) What happens to online anti religious and anti nonsense groups, of which there very very many? Nobody can tell, nothing is defined, nobody knows if they are now a criminal simply for posting such as this..... simply for looking......

Illegal? (Now you know why the cross is the symbol of the Church)

a39a5c73fab1.jpg

If so, then perhaps......... (Soon) :)

1d553d56fd25.jpg

Edited by Tutankhaten-pasheri
  • Like 1

The most disturbing aspect of this bill is the part about making it crime to insult religious feelings. This cuts both ways of course, but what about posting pictures like this? what happens to the Russian based servers for carrying them? what happens to the VK servers in Peterburg on which a vast amount of now potentialy illegal material is held? what happens to those who create and upload such pictures? what happens to the countless millions who view and download? (apparently now the same in law) What happens to online anti religious and anti nonsense groups, of which there very very many? Nobody can tell, nothing is defined, nobody knows if they are now a criminal simply for posting such as this..... simply for looking......

Agreed, because insulting reliious feelings can mean anything from actual insults, protests, to reasoned debate and critisism. And you can also bet the only 'religious feelings' that will matter will be christian ones, no one elses. So that means anyone that displays a different religious belief openly could be caught with that law as well.

The law's just about religious based oppression.

... and so Russia takes yet another step backwards into the Dark Ages. The day when "Insulting Religious Beliefs" is actually condoned, so allowing Humankind to move forward is the day that I Iook forward to.

This is horrible.

The silver lining is that this law stands as a focal point to rally against and an impetus to resolve this national debate in Russia so that in the future it will be overturned.

Consider it like DOMA being passed in America when at that time there were no laws anywhere allowing same-sex marriage. It took 17 years to reverse DOMA but so much progress has been made since then within several American states as well as nations across the world.

A story in emoticons in two parts (I hope I'm not in trouble for one of them....)

031a07dfb2e6.gif ------ 2285db054f7e.gif + 01c64897a6a8.gif all 372b4e0ef069.gif then 2fff21fbfe44.gif then e2ef129c862b.gif and 08083e5b27e1.gif then e2ef129c862b.gif + ef31809e3c7d.gif

• Like 1

ef31809e3c7d.gif = 2285db054f7e.gif + 01c64897a6a8.gif now e0e826c58019.gif = all 395593f77f9d.gif....... Spacebo e2ef129c862b.gif.....
  • Like 1

Oy! I dont think flashing of boobies is very Politically Correct :w00t: But really hilarious nonetheless (I have translated as "smoke and flash", or "smoke and Mirrors" which is nearer to my cultural imperitive . I think I have deciphered it but I am sure there are some Culturally Specific terms that I am unaware of....

Edited by keithisco

Oy! I dont think flashing of boobies is very Politically Correct :w00t: But really hilarious nonetheless (I have translated as "smoke and flash", or "smoke and Mirrors" which is nearer to my cultural imperitive . I think I have deciphered it but I am sure there are some Culturally Specific terms that I am unaware of....

represents pussyriot :)

So should countries around the globe follow USA or Russia?

Neither is a particularly good role model.

This law is just... what. The problem is it claims to be 'thinking of the children' but like always with laws like this it does three things. First, no it doesn't think of children. It only thinks of hetrosexual children.Second, it's used to prosecute any gay person or organisation that raises any form of awareness (regardless if children would see it or not). Third it creates a negative climate for gay people in the country. I pity any gay people in Russia right now. Their lives have just become a hell of a lot harder.

I do not actively support what I see as a "gay" agenda because I feel it is detrimental to traditional society. That said, I am COMPLETELY AGAINST criminalizing the sexual behavior of ANY group. It is barbaric to intervene in an area so intimate and personal and it will have no positive result. Human beings being human beings isn't (or shouldn't be) a crime, anywhere.

I do not actively support what I see as a "gay" agenda because I feel it is detrimental to traditional society. That said, I am COMPLETELY AGAINST criminalizing the sexual behavior of ANY group. It is barbaric to intervene in an area so intimate and personal and it will have no positive result. Human beings being human beings isn't (or shouldn't be) a crime, anywhere.

The gay agenda isn't against society. If you feel society is somehow threatened by homosexuality than you should seriously question why because acting like it's detrimental somehow is exactly why and how stuff like this gets pushed through. There's a lot of scaremongering and that's maintained by people that seem to think gay people are out to destroy society. Which... well it's just absurd.

If you really think 'human beings being human beings shouldn't be a crime' sincerely than you should ask yourself how that first sentance of yours fits in with that because where I'm sitting the two are contradictory.

I do are that human beings being human shouldn't be a crime and legislating aainst sex where eeryone is consenting is pretty ridiculous and, like you say, because it's intimate and personal it shouldn't be anyone else's buisness.

Neither is a particularly good role model.

I argee with you there. Somewhere like New Zealand seems like it'd be a better role model.

• Like 1

I argee with you there. Somewhere like New Zealand seems like it'd be a better role model.

Although this my adopted country, I feel strangely proud and privileged to live here. I like it's history of having a strong sense of social justice - and, relevant to the topic, the Marriage Amendment was recently passed.

It's very similar to the UK in many ways - but we've got nicer beaches.

Although this my adopted country, I feel strangely proud and privileged to live here. I like it's history of having a strong sense of social justice - and, relevant to the topic, the Marriage Amendment was recently passed.

I remember a few months back there was a thing about which country was the freest and New Zealand was the number 1 and it's stuck in my mind. Yeah, it does seem to be very good in those terms and I had heard that amendment passed awhile back, so that's awesome for you guys over there. I think you should be very proud to live there :)

Oh yeah and such a beautiful landscape. I'd love to go there someday because it does look so beautiful.

• Like 1

How pray tell.

Br Cornelius

And depressed natives.