Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Meet the Breatharian Who Lives on Energy

Still Waters

'Man claims to live on sunlight and air'

1. Man has no knowledge of biology.

2. Man is full of crap.

3. Hopefully man is trying to make money and doesn't really believe this because then I feel sad for man.

Well, if someone is full of crap we know there's food involved.

Edited by Beany
  • Like 6

OK, let me just ask this: Who is more likely to swallow this fairy tale -- a religionist, or an atheist?

What is surprising is the apparent lack of documentaries on the subject. If people were to watch for example In the Beginning there was Light, I'm sure some people would change their minds about breatharianism, or at least become better informed on the subject rather that cry "bullsh!t" or "impossible" straight away. The trick is to find the English subtitles, which is also not impossible, if you're good at using the net. It's like saying with the double slit experiment that it's impossible for the electron to go through both holes and neither at the same time. We should've learnt by now that the universe doesn't know impossible, it's our limited and rigid intellects that,once fixed in a paradigm, find it hard to be open to new possibilities. Yes, it was hard for physicists to come to terms with particles being waves at the same time. Common sense says: come on, so what is it then, wave or particle? Can't be both. Oh really. The universe says it can. You've got a problem with that? Guess what? The universe doesn't care. You sort your paradigm problems out and find a brave new world out there, or stay in your paradigm and keep shouting impossible.

Our minds seem to resist change. We would like to be comfortable in a world that is simple. We would like to know that time is absolute. When some scientists proposed as a solution to some disturbing observations that time is relative, they were called nutcases, of course. Guess it's human nature. There will always be the people that will investigate a phenomenon with open mind, and there will be those useless members of society that curl up in their paradigm, close their eyes and keep saying "impossible" like a mantra, not contributing much to progress. If the world was made up of such people only, we would still be living in the dark ages with a heliocentric flat-earth world view. Since everything else is impossible, right? Just because at this moment in time we do not have the knowledge to understand its workings. We've been told about the existence and properties of prana for thousands of years. The knowledge might have survived from a previous advanced civilization, like Atlantis. Yes, the subject has been marginalized in cartoons etc. obviously for a reason, not dissimilar to the UFO issue, where you find official CIA documents giving directions to Disney to marginalize the UFO subject, which they did - little green men.

The existence of Atlantis, with a wealth of details, has been referred to by Edgar Cayce and several others, and then we have a library of channelled materials also talking about Atlantis in great details, as well as the workings of prana, the universal omnipresent energy, the one pyramids were built to focus in the queen's chambers where they performed initiations. Well it's a large subjects, but there is no real audience on these forums. The open-minded people have already started doing their homework, the rest have already made their minds up that it's all impossible. It's funny though, once it has been scientifically understood, these nay-sayers will be the first ones to start cutting their food bill, of course they would not do a cleansing of the body for spiritual reasons. Like those who are saying zero-point energy is BS will be all to happy to take the devices for free once on the market with the zero-point field being scientifically established. Indeed, hypocrisy knows no bounds.

dude, you should write fiction.

dude, you should write fiction.

dude does.

• Like 4

OK, let me just ask this: Who is more likely to swallow this fairy tale -- a religionist, or an atheist?

That's a pretty contrived question. It must be quite validating to know you're less gullible than all those "religionists". I wonder if arrogence is a form of dogma?

"When people stop believing in God, they don't believe in nothing - they believe in anything".

Perhaps you do not know this existential hell? I would not wish it on my worst enemy.

You know, sarcasm is a fasinating thing. To communicate properly someone has to be "in on the joke". In the absense of information, and in the absense of an appropriate social que, what remains but a statement of fact? I have known people who practice this as a form of scorn, as if the product, an assersion of gullibility, is anything but an assertion of superiority.

What if I said "religion is a cultural practice", for example. Would you laugh? Cause if you don't, it means I'm better than you.

Sigh*

Nothing like a good ole fasion rampage.

Edited by TravelerZero

"When people stop believing in God, they don't believe in nothing - they believe in anything".

Strangely enough I've come across very few atheists who "believe in anything".
  • Like 3

People have been on hunger strike for over 100 days, and it's basic human biology that you can train your body as well as bodily system. You can alter how it withstands different conditions. If you bother, and apply yourself (source: Breaking Bad, Walther White). Mind and body are linked, this is established by placebo. Or power of belief, power that's as real as me writing this.

Bones should break when you hit them with bricks or hard sticks hard enough. Yet, you can train your bones to break those objects instead. It should be impossible if you did not train yourself, or very unlikely unless you can reach a state where you negate the fatal amount of impact even if you take it. If you dont know how impossible is made possible, dont expect to understand the impossible.

• Like 1

much respect to those people, especially hunger strikers, and yes, the human body is capable of some pretty remarkable things... but the breatharian claim is that people can survive without food, at all, for their entire lives. and the evidence does not come close to supporting that. people who come out of hunger strikes do not come out healthy, they come out badly weakened. the very reason it's a succesful tactic is due to the fact that the people doing it are putting their own lives at risks. it pushes the body to the brink, which is pretty much the opposite of what breatharians claim their regimin will do.

i've never lost my sense of wonder at the amazing things people can do with their bodies, but i also know that these things you mentioned are physically explicable. breatharianism is not.

• Like 3

Strangely enough I've come across very few atheists who "believe in anything".

That is strange. I have yet to come across ANY individual who will "believe in anything"! That would be just as unlikely as finding an individual that believe's in nothing!

Funny how in the picture he has a glass and 2 cups in front of him, and a spoon. He eats a daily communion of bread and wine, and even if he drank a few cups of coffee with cream and sugar he could get all the calories he needs. So much for not eating as claimed.

That is strange. I have yet to come across ANY individual who will "believe in anything"!

Even stranger, when *you* were the one to use that quote and are now disputing it... Enjoy your argument in the mirror.

(Oh, and you're sooo right about sarcasm... :D)

• Like 1

Even stranger, when *you* were the one to use that quote and are now disputing it... Enjoy your argument in the mirror.

(Oh, and you're sooo right about sarcasm... :D)

Just to be clear, here is my understanding of the quote in question: people will believe a surprising amount of what they are presented with. Sometimes, they even take these things literally (shocking). The quote is both tragic and tounge and cheek. As if not believing in god implies one believes in nothing!

To me, it is actually a statement about how deep the roots of religion go, and a possible allusion to the fact that extreme behavior found in the highly religious is not merely a product of religion, but an expression of human nature.

For me it is also tragic; to see how tightly some people cling to the first thing they lay eyes on when they "lose their religion", and on a broader scale, how suseptible the human mind is to suggestion.

Neither the above nor the original post was in any way an attack on atheisim itself, and I cannot understand how anyone would interpret it that way, hence my incredulous reaction. But then again, I guess this is all pretty pointless, as the condition of being a Zealot is not confined to a traditionally religious form. That and any rational person knows you can't argue with faith :tu: .

My retort was not a dispute. Here, interpreting the above requires at least some idea of what sarcasm is, a diserning eye, and a brain, but I suppose one cannot blame a talking bird. You have made only one correct statement: I am "sooo right about sarcasm". How tiresome.

Oh, the semantics...

Just to be clear, here is my understanding

I'm glad you have clarified that - it is YOUR understanding...

of the quote in question: people will believe a surprising amount of what they are presented with.

Well, it does say 'anything'. So I think it's a fair complaint that it is an unwarranted exaggeration. Me, I read things literally, and your understanding is an elaboration that was made necessary by the silliness (some might say.. irrelevance..) of your own quote. Perhaps next time you could add context - maybe this quote comes from a scenario that makes more sense that just chucking it onto a forum...

Sometimes, they even take these things literally (shocking).

Is there some need to state the bleeding obvious, on a forum that attracts both the gullible and the informed (and the 'arrogent' {sic})?

The quote is both tragic and tounge {sic} and cheek.

You mean tongue in cheek? You really should practice that quoting.. And as for it being tragic or tongue in cheek.. I think it's neither and adds nothing useful to the topic.

To me, it is.. a possible allusion to .. etc

Yes, it is indeed your understanding of it...

For me it is also tragic; to see how tightly some people cling to the first thing they lay eyes on when they "lose their religion", and on a broader scale, how suseptible the human mind is to suggestion.

For heaven's sake (sarcasm intended), start another thread on whatever point you are trying (and failing) to make..

Neither the above nor the original post was in any way an attack on atheisim itself, and I cannot understand how anyone would interpret it that way

Who did? Zaphod just asked a question, which you have now turned into a huge strawman.

hence my incredulous reaction.

Incredulous? You are incredibly easily 'creduled'... :D

I guess this is all pretty pointless..

Correct.

Here, interpreting the above requires at least some idea of what sarcasm is, a diserning {sic} eye, and a brain, but I suppose one cannot blame a talking bird.

A 'talking bird'? Please elaborate..

You have made only one correct statement: I am "sooo right about sarcasm". How tiresome.

Then perhaps you should not respond to such unworthy posts, or at least make some small effort to be .. ontopic. You could start now - do you believe this 'breatharian' is setting a good example? Is he telling the truth?

• Like 1

-First do a DNA test.

Then based on the results, we'll discuss what to do next.

*Practical way to tell if true or fake*

There is the story of the one doctor in India who confirmed some Breatharians not eating anything and yet being fine. OK. So, now that testing needs to be repeated by 10 other researchers in 4 or 5 other countries.

Facts are reproducable. And nothing is a fact till it has been reproduced.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 2

Depends on which of the two is educated in basic biology.

• Like 3

People have been on hunger strike for over 100 days, and it's basic human biology that you can train your body as well as bodily system. You can alter how it withstands different conditions. If you bother, and apply yourself (source: Breaking Bad, Walther White). Mind and body are linked, this is established by placebo. Or power of belief, power that's as real as me writing this.

First off - allow me to add something. MOST hunger strikers, are prisoners or protesters, usually incarcerated, and as such, its the duty of the state to force feed them. So YES, they may have been on hunger strikes for months, inasmuch as shunning any solid foods offered...but they are force fed liquid nutrition, daily...which you can live on very well

Heres is the record holder for long term hunger strike, AT 12 YEARS!!!!

quote:

"Irom Sharmila – who holds the record for the world’s longest hunger-strike – passed another dark milestone in history today when she marked 12 years without eating or drinking".

The 40-year-old from India’s north-east has been force-fed in a secure hospital as she continues to protest against the impunity enjoyed by the armed forces.

http://www.independe...ur-8282730.html

BTW did she look like she has starved for 12 years in her pic? Sitting there looking healthy and smiling is not the look of someone who hasnt had food in 12 years now is it?

Now, take away her force-feedings, which DO supply adequate nutrition and liquids -water etc, and let her sit in her secure room for a month with NO ACCESS whatsoever...to food and water.... and one of 2 things will happen.

She will either die, or be begging for food/water

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

Yes, thats what happens when you go on a rampage. Sometimes you end up doing/ saying foolish things and the reasons for those things are less than coherent. Add some alchohol and you've got yourself a crap-show (but archer is definatly a good show).

Religionists are generally more close minded than athiests, in my experience, and this breatharian thing is a good example. My rant was a poor attempt to describe the state of a person who loses their religion. The rest was just drama. So much drama.

Wanting to aline oneself with such outlandish and even counter-instinctual things gives me abit of a chill. Probably because I used to be in such a situation. Again, wouldn't wish it on anyone. I guess some other things surfaced...

"Religionists" also seem to be fond of taking "the high road". And that's just what I was trying to do, lol. Self-rightiousness can be a sickness in and of itself.

Sigh*

With eggs on ones face

The yolk is quite clear,

Quite stark against my skin

But this ebryotic slime,

This nourishment,

Is all too familiar

With my infant state;

In times like these

I find it hard to remember

How far I have come.

Edited by TravelerZero
  • Like 1

it is possible but I thought that the method in which it is possible was long ago lost from this world. it requires a much higher level of consciousness.

not possible unless he is breathing in amino acids vitamins minerals he is full of nonsense

• Like 1

Guess who is saving $200 a week in groceries?? Not this guy, cause this pure bulls***.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I call complete bovine fecal matter on this one. Its just not biologically possible.

Do you mean it is not biologicly possible for the body to live without food? It is done all the time in the hospitals trough intrevenous feeding. This guy says there are other alternative ways of getting the nutritions the body needs, he doesnt claim the body doesnt need nutrition or energy. Its not something he or breatharians come up with. THe practice of Inedia is millnniums old. Elijah, Jesus, Moses all did it. Its been studied by scientists and doctors. THerese Neumann von Konnersreut was studied by doctors teams and even monitored by the Gestapo during the war, becuase Hitler was scared ****less of her because of it. She practiced breatharianism for 40 years with no food and no water most of the time, she wasnt even skinny, but it wasnt called breatharianism there, she was just a catholic nun practicing prayer and never got hungry. All of these guys who practice this are christian mystics btw, including the guy in this article.

Edited by geiroffenberg

This guy says there are other alternative ways of getting the nutritions the body needs

This is the issue. If this were true then there would be proof.

The thing that is biologically impossible is surviving like this - the body simply cannot get the energy it needs to survive without a fuel source eg. solid food or an IV drip etc.

• 3 weeks later...

it is possible but I thought that the method in which it is possible was long ago lost from this world. it requires a much higher level of consciousness.

No matter how much you will your body to stop using energy, it WILL NOT STOP. Your body uses energy to keep basic functions going, functions that keep you alive. Your cells have mitochondria for a reason. And our bodies are built to get energy from eating. We don't have the things needed to photosynthesize. Consuming nutrition is the only way our body can break things down and get ATP. Air and sunlight do not have the needed things to convert to energy. Your body doesn't care much about how spiritual you are. It knows that these cells need energy stat, or they're dying.

• Like 1

Do you mean it is not biologicly possible for the body to live without food? It is done all the time in the hospitals trough intrevenous feeding. This guy says there are other alternative ways of getting the nutritions the body needs, he doesnt claim the body doesnt need nutrition or energy. Its not something he or breatharians come up with. THe practice of Inedia is millnniums old. Elijah, Jesus, Moses all did it. Its been studied by scientists and doctors. THerese Neumann von Konnersreut was studied by doctors teams and even monitored by the Gestapo during the war, becuase Hitler was scared ****less of her because of it. She practiced breatharianism for 40 years with no food and no water most of the time, she wasnt even skinny, but it wasnt called breatharianism there, she was just a catholic nun practicing prayer and never got hungry. All of these guys who practice this are christian mystics btw, including the guy in this article.

Taking in nutrients through an IV is not exactly living off nothing but air though. This is not hard to understand: Our body has a certain way of getting energy. If this is not met, it dies. Air does NOT have the needed components to make ATP and keep your cells going. Oxygen and stuff is vital to survive breathing wise, but it gives no energy. People doing this in an isolated setting in a lab are going to starve to death (though they'd dehydrate first).

• Like 1

A lot of people have claimed to live off sunlight over the last hundred years or so. When subjected to tests they tend to weaken though- apparently because the labs interfere with the light absorption. It is possible to live off very little water because water is produced through metabolism- a tribe in America periodically run 50 mile or so distances in crippling heat with no water as a matter of pride.

People who claim to live off light should be rigourously tested- think of the implications if it can be proved true!