Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First man to hear people before they speak

Still Waters

EVER been watching an old movie, only for the sound and action to go out of sync? Now imagine every voice is like this – even your own. That's the world PH lives in.

PH is the first confirmed case of someone who hears people speak before registering that their lips have moved. His situation is giving unique insights into how our brains unify what we hear and see.

http://www.newscient...ml#.UdXYXqzd4dW

I get frustrated if i'm watching a movie on my comp and it goes out of sync, i couldn't imagine it all day, every day.

• Like 1

I get frustrated if i'm watching a movie on my comp and it goes out of sync, i couldn't imagine it all day, every day.

Well if you were using MPC-HC you wouldn't have this problem. You can always adjust audio delay with the + and - buttons in 10ms increments.

Edited by Rolci

Well if you were using MPC-HC you wouldn't have this problem. You can always adjust audio delay with the + and - buttons in 10ms increments.

Lol at this post! You can also do it with VLC of course. But MPC-HC is better for the full HD codecs ;)

As for the topic/article - it's a bit misleading. He hears things at a semi normal rate but his other senses are delayed.

He hears people after they speak.

• Like 1

Huh. Recall seeing a distant lightning strike, and then a delay, then hearing the sound? That's normal

So, what does he experience in this case?

Lol at this post! You can also do it with VLC of course. But MPC-HC is better for the full HD codecs ;)

As for the topic/article - it's a bit misleading. He hears things at a semi normal rate but his other senses are delayed.

He hears people after they speak.

Yeah, I was getting confused about that statement in the title. How can anyone hear another before they speak? Didn't make sense to me... lol

I do recall watching an episode of "That's Incredible" as a child where they had this old man saying things apparently before the other person but what it was is that he was hearing everything a split second sooner than everyone else so he would be able to say it, seemingly, before the other person says it and before we perceive the other person moving lips.

Edited by Lava_Lady

Huh. Recall seeing a distant lightning strike, and then a delay, then hearing the sound? That's normal

So, what does he experience in this case?

After surgery 'A scan of his brain showed he had two lesions in areas that may play a role in hearing, timing and movement.'

'PH was shown clips of people talking and was asked whether the voice came before or after the lip movements. Sure enough, he said it came before, and to perceive them as synchronous the team had to play the voice about 200 milliseconds later than the lip movements.'

So it sounds like his brain is processing sound okay, but sight/tough etc has a ~200ms delay.

I thought this bit was funny 'As for PH, help may be at hand: Freeman is looking for a way to slow down his hearing so it matches what he is seeing.' - You'd think he'd look for a way to speed up the other senses so that they are all on time with real life. If he delays sound too then 'PH' will have all his senses delayed by 200ms. :no:

Geez, if the guy can hear words before they're actually spoken, does it mean that his brain can see what is happening in the futur at a certain level? It would seems so to me, reading this article. That's huge then. He knows what is to be told beforehand, that open doors to scientific studies on the brain's faculty.

So true, it's just very much annoying when you get a video like that out of synch and you can't get it anywhere else!

Edited by sam_comm

Geez, if the guy can hear words before they're actually spoken, does it mean that his brain can see what is happening in the futur at a certain level?

He cannot hear words before they are spoken. His other senses are delayed ~200ms. :whistle:

• Like 1

Geez, if the guy can hear words before they're actually spoken, does it mean that his brain can see what is happening in the futur at a certain level? It would seems so to me, reading this article. That's huge then. He knows what is to be told beforehand, that open doors to scientific studies on the brain's faculty.

Hold on a sec. 200ms to be exact.

It's not that he hears words before they are spoken, rather, his internal visual sense is delayed.

Thus, it seems that he is hearing sounds before they are actually produced, but that is not the case at all.