Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Favorite Historical Mystery

LucidElement

Isn't there a word for seeing shapes in other objects? The faces and pyramids on mars are tricks of light.

Someone mentioned the Mary Celeste. I thought that was solved or a good explanation given. Fumes from the rum set alight causing what would have looked like flames and freaking the poop out of the crew making them abandon ship. There was a documentary on it.

I think there was more to it then just the rum catching fire, the whole thing about it was pretty crazy!

no more arguing lol, this is supposed to be talking about favorite historical unexplained mysteries, and as far them which ones, and we as a whlole should be talking about them. Thats why i made this post. To hear all of yours favorite mystery and figured we could all talk about it.

• Like 1

What groups and individuals sold short on the days that led up to September 11? They evidently had inside information when they dropped their airlines stock, the same airlines that were hijacked by Al Qaeda. The news story simultaneously went off the mainstream news radar screens with no explanations as to why it vanished. It went from blazing hot to freezing cold in a day, like it never even happened.

• Like 2

What groups and individuals sold short on the days that led up to September 11? They evidently had inside information when they dropped their airlines stock, the same airlines that were hijacked by Al Qaeda. The news story simultaneously went off the mainstream news radar screens with no explanations as to why it vanished. It went from blazing hot to freezing cold in a day, like it never even happened.

Hmmrm. This is the historical mysteries section. You might be better served lighting this fire in the CT forum...

I think there was more to it then just the rum catching fire, the whole thing about it was pretty crazy!

Daleks. It was Daleks.

1282420278_3.jpg

--Jaylemurph

Yes L, as previously suggested, have some familiarity with Hippias. You will note that a) he was not a true archaeologist by current standards and that ...he was not highly thought of by some of his "contemporaries". Actually considered to be rather shallow.

Neither were historians, for example, true historians in current standards. He study history trough relics, artifacts. I dont know did he digg around..

Everyone have critics. I like Jared Diamond and his work yet there are people who dont agree with me.

Wow! Stunning visuals, thank you for posting!

This could be the area but it isn't the same documentary. I recall seeing a grainy scene with actual footage that someone shot from the air of a creature that looked like a swan and the argument in the documentary was that it is a swan but why was this swan at such an elevation and what is it doing in that specific part of the earth... n such.

It definitely had this type of plateau type terrain though.

Simply gorgeous!

Here ya go: Stegosaurus carving on temple

steg3.jpg

That it?

Harte

ahh... I know of this. No, it's not this... it's like the plateaus that Abramelin posted about. An actual place with footage of a 'mystery' animal. But thank you!

Neither were historians, for example, true historians in current standards. He study history trough relics, artifacts. I dont know did he digg around..

Everyone have critics. I like Jared Diamond and his work yet there are people who dont agree with me.

i wrote a paper on Guns Germs and Steel. It was a pretty interesting book aswell as the documentary. I still have to read Collapse.

Ive never heard of Mount Roraima. Why don;t more scientists, archaeologists explore this area? or dig around it? Seems like there could be amazing things.

Ive never heard of Mount Roraima. Why don;t more scientists, archaeologists explore this area? or dig around it? Seems like there could be amazing things.

mount roraima by uwe george by natgeo

link

Top of Roraima – Brazil, Venezuela, Guyana

Once we’d reached the summit there was barely a pause for breath or photos as we made the painful 40 minute walk to the camp site.

Contrary to our expectations the top was far from flat, with strange shapes eroded by both wind and water forming peaks and troughs, the latter occasionally filled to become streams. The single narrow path over the soft rock was clearly marked by lines of sand worn away by years of weary hikers. Much unwanted walking and climbing later we reached the camp-site, a cave system in the side of a smaller peak.

link

[media=]

[/media]

youtube

enjoy :tu:

~edit: more at natgeo adventure link

`

Edited by third_eye

• 2 weeks later...

You know what always interested me too was the Dropa Stones? any thoughts on those?? For those that do not know....

In 1938, an archeological expedition led by Dr. Chi Pu Tei into the Baian-Kara-Ula mountains of China made an astonishing discovery in some caves that had apparently been occupied by some ancient culture. Buried in the dust of ages on the cave floor were hundreds of stone disks.

A total of 716 discs were found.

Measuring about nine inches in diameter, each had a circle cut into the center and was etched with a spiral groove, making it look for all the world like some ancient phonograph record some 10,000 to 12,000 years old. The spiral groove, it turns out, is actually composed of tiny hieroglyphics that tell the incredible story of spaceships from some distant world that crash-landed in the mountains. The ships were piloted by people who called themselves the Dropa, and the remains of whose descendents, possibly, were found in the cave.

http://www.virtuesci...opa-stones.html

Edited by LucidElement

The spiral groove, it turns out, is actually composed of tiny hieroglyphics that tell the incredible story of spaceships from some distant world that crash-landed in the mountains.???

How the heck can people decipher that writting but we have a tough tome decyphering Kryptos or Vonyich Manuscript?

The Devil's Tower Mystery

devils-tower.jpg

Devils Tower is a monolith located near Hulett and Sundance in eastern Wyoming. It rises dramatically 1267 feet (386 m) above the surrounding terrain.

In 1977 it was used as the location for the finale of Steven Speilberg's film Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Black Hills area in which the tower is located, has some of the largest caves in the world underneath it, including Wind Cave and Jewel Cave

Aparently 3 American Indians found a tunnel:

"They found the passage strewn with bones. Perhaps human bones. At the end, the tunnel opened up into a cave with an underground lake some 25 yards long and more than 15 yards wide. Around the lake were large quantities of gold."

• Like 1

The spiral groove, it turns out, is actually composed of tiny hieroglyphics that tell the incredible story of spaceships from some distant world that crash-landed in the mountains.???

How the heck can people decipher that writting but we have a tough tome decyphering Kryptos or Vonyich Manuscript?

They can't, and they didn't and your "Doctor" never even existed.

The Dropa Stone story is not only a hoax, it's an admitted hoax.

Admitted in the pages of Fortean Times magazine:

In 1995, British author David Gamon admitted in Fortean Times that he had written Sungods in Exile as a hoax under the Agamon pseudonym,[1] inspired by the popularity of Erich von Däniken and his books on ancient astronauts. The source material for the story was taken from a 1960s magazine article in Russian Digest, and a 1973 French science fiction novel Les disques de Biem-Kara, (The discs of Biem-Kara), by Daniel Piret.

Source

Harte

The Devil's Tower Mystery

Devils Tower is a monolith located near Hulett and Sundance in eastern Wyoming. It rises dramatically 1267 feet (386 m) above the surrounding terrain.

In 1977 it was used as the location for the finale of Steven Speilberg's film Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Black Hills area in which the tower is located, has some of the largest caves in the world underneath it, including Wind Cave and Jewel Cave

Aparently 3 American Indians found a tunnel:

"They found the passage strewn with bones. Perhaps human bones. At the end, the tunnel opened up into a cave with an underground lake some 25 yards long and more than 15 yards wide. Around the lake were large quantities of gold."

Not to be a party pooper but I'm missing the "mystery" part. Devil's tower is a beautiful natural formation. The actual Black hills has lots and LOTS of underground caves - explored and unexplored - well known by indians and tourists. It has LOTS of fools gold and small quantities of loose placer gold that you can pan for. It also had one of the largest deep gold mines in the world at one time - Homestake.

I'd love to know what Puma Punku and Tiwanaku looked like when they were 'new' , they probably went thorough stages.. but it would be interesting to see what was built with the H blocks and what was connected with that set of stairs at Tiwanaku. .. those things look VERY VERY old and worn. They might not be.. but they sure look it!

• Like 1

My favourite historical mystery are why history in last 12000 years was writen differently, what cause civilization to rise and favourite one is collapses of civilizations which I did study for some years.

The Rise and fall of Civilizations...there's a video about civilizations rising as we get closer to the sun, and dumber as we move away from it. Seemed logical. lol Great video though.

The Rise and fall of Civilizations...there's a video about civilizations rising as we get closer to the sun, and dumber as we move away from it. Seemed logical. lol Great video though.

I dont follow you!

btw welcome to UM! :st